Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Segasonic01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is the sequel to the PC point-&-click game The Longest Journey, released way back in 2000. In Dreamfall, you play as 3 chearacters. Zoe, a lead female, April, the other lead female, and Kian, a lead male that you only play as about 3% of the game. The concept of the game is that there are 2 parallel worlds, one is a futuristic-like Earth, the other, a Mideval style past. Certain people can travel betweeen these 2 worlds by dreaming, hence the name Dreamfall.
The game begins with Zoe's friend asking her to go pick up a package for him. After she does, he has disappeared, and she follows lead after lead in order to find him. The journey will be very awe-inspiring. Think Shenmue meets The Ring meets The Jetsons meets Lord of the Rings. Ya, that's how crazy thngs are.

Gameplay:
The game plays very much like Shenmue. You walk around, talk to people, do tasks, etc. There is fighting in the game, but fortunatly, not much of it. Fighting is done very poorly, like the people are stick figures. If you like games where you kill everyone you see, this game is not for you. If you like good storyies and scenery, this game is perfect for you. It is kind of short to. I completed the game in a total of 10 hours.

Graphics:
The settings of the game are some of the best I have ever seen. You get a very good sense of how vast and unique these worlds are. The weather effects are very nicley done. In the very cold, snowy areas, I began to feel cold myself due to the overall feel of the area. Character models, however, I can't say the same for. This game WAS inteneded for the PC, so the character models look a bit blocky and only the mouths usually move during cutscenes.

Story:
Dreamfall's strongest point. I loved the story. It reminded me a lot of Shenmue 2 (Xbox). I started it at 10A.M. one day, and got so immersed into the story that I kept playing and playing until I finished 13 hours later. With the plot twists and everything, I don't see why a movie can't be made out of this game. The only low point in the story is the ending. It's a very Two-Towers like ending. This is the second part in a series of 3 games. At the end, there are VERY many unresolved story issues. Did the main characters die? What happend to the 2 guys that disappeared? WTF is up with the Undreaming?!? I will have to wait till the sequel, titled Dreamfall: Chapters is released to find out.

Sound:
Sound was very nicely done. The voice acting is good, and each voice fits their characters well. The sounds of people in the markets calling you as you pass by are very lifelike. No complaints here.

Replay Value:
There isn't much replay value to the game, unless you wanna see the story again and figure out what you still don't know. There isn't really much you can miss on your 1st playthrough, so you would replay it solely to see the story again which is still a good reason)

Overall, I think this is a very fun and awe-inspiring game. If you have an Xbox or PC, it's a must-own. My final rating...

4.5/5

ya, I never played the 1st. You don't have to know it to understand the story, tho. What you do need to know is explained in Dreamfall.

bread's done
Back