Drill (Handymen advice needed)

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
I don't know much about tools, so I'm hoping someone around here can give me some advice.

I need a drill. Preferably cordless, but either way would be fine. I only have two needs for it right now: drilling a hole in some wood to pass cords through for game systems and so forth (entertainment center, Besta pieces from Ikea so it's cheap MDF or whatever), and then to restore headlights on my car with this kit. Conceivably it would be nice to have for various projects as well (putting together furniture when needed, etc).

So I don't need it for anything major at all. Something under $100 would be nice, but I'm more interested in something that's durable and proven to be worthwhile rather than going all out cheap.

If anyone can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I use Ryobi for all my power tools and have had no problems. A cordless drill is probably around $50 and a wired one around $35. Then you can get a nice drill bit and screwdriver kit for around $25. I would go cordless, I find that for most things, the extra power of the wired drill actually makes it a bit harder to use for things like screwing stuff in.

A Dremel would be good for the the first job but I dunno if they make headlight repair kits that you could use with a Dremel. Since you're not going to be using it for much I would suggest a cheap 12V cordless drill. You're going to have buy a hole saw bit to drill circle out of the back of an entertainment center. Makita makes good tools.

Before you buy anything though check with local hardware stores some have loan a tool program. I know my local Pepboys does and I think Autozone does the same.

What up Strell. The best advice I can give when selecting tools is you get what you pay for. I do agree that if you are only going to use it for odd jobs around the house you don't need to break the bank and a cheaper one will serve you well. However, I would recommend a corded one over a cordless one - I've owned battery operated drills and they just aren't as powerful and you can't get the same torque after a while. The batteries might not be charged all the time either which is super annoying. If you were picking up a spare drill I'd say go for it though.

I have a DeWalt drill (most of my tools are DeWalt - not sure why - just sort of happened but I love their products) and THIS one is in your price range. Also keep in mind that drill bits can add up over time too. You should get a nice set of bits from 1/16" all the way up to 1/4" and then maybe a set of forstner bits to drill that large hole you are buying the drill for in the first place.

I got a really nice Ryobi drill on sale at Home Depot for about $30. It comes with a handy level and it's powerful enough for everyday needs and it holds a charge for ages. I think I've charged it once or twice in the last two years and we've been doing a lot of work around the house. It even came with a super convenient roll-up mat with 50 or so drill bits for wood, concrete, and metal. No complaints so far.

This threads a little old, but I can give you some advice.

I worked for 3 years in a home improvement store, and power tools are something you dont want to be too cheap on. A few people have suggested Ryobi, which is not a bad brand for what you need. I have a Ryobi set from a HD black friday event a few years back which has been OK for me. I do a lot of home repair and could use a slightly heftier set. One nice thing about Ryobi is that if you buy a basic 18v cordless drill, you can later buy the lithium ion batteries for it if you wish.

If you have the money to spend though, I'd go with a better brand. Rigid may still come with a lifetime warranty, which would be my first choice if they do. DeWalt is expensive, but quality stuff. Porter Cables are also very good.

Avoid brands like Black and Decker and Skill. Their stuff is shit anymore.

Dewalt all the way. Spend a bit more and get something quality that will last.

I've got this drill Link and it's been great. I've got a spare battery so I can keep one charged all the time, but even with a single battery it'll last a good long time per charge. If you go cordless stay away from the 14.4v or lower crap. In my experience it doesn't have enough power for the tough jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce915']The drill will never be charged fully when you want to use it and replacement batteries will cost you a boat load.[/QUOTE]
Not always true. Like I said, I've only had to charge my Ryobi once or twice since I bought it and I've used this thing for numerous projects around the house. The only thing I wasn't able to use it for (as far as drill-required projects go) was installing a security door. That sucker had some heavy-duty bolts and I needed a hardcore drill for it.

A wired drill is usually the way to go, but there are some surprisingly good cordless ones out there.

As a small update:

I went with the drill ZForce915 suggested given that it was a good price and from DeWalt, which reviews online appear to highly favor versus other brands. I received it a few weeks ago, and then used it for the entertainment center project this past weekend. It works brilliantly. I've gone ahead and purchased drill bits and a screwdriver set, which fit perfectly in the case the drill came in, so now I feel all Hank Hillish.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their words of advice, as I sincerely appreciate it. The drill feels very sturdy and solid, and I'm looking forward to further projects with it.

I've worked full time in construction so I have Dewalt and Makita cordless drills. But my recommendation for someone who needs to use one for occasional home use is to get a cheap corded drill. ie ryobi, sears etc. The reasons are that there's nothing worse than needing a tool and not having the batteries charged adequately. Second, buying a cheap cordless buy you and underpowered drill. The same money gets you much more power in a corded drill. If you don't really need a cordless drill, buy a corded one. You'll never need to buy expensive batteries in the future. If you really need a cordless one, don't buy the cheapest on you can find. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']As a small update:

I went with the drill ZForce915 suggested given that it was a good price and from DeWalt, which reviews online appear to highly favor versus other brands. I received it a few weeks ago, and then used it for the entertainment center project this past weekend. It works brilliantly. I've gone ahead and purchased drill bits and a screwdriver set, which fit perfectly in the case the drill came in, so now I feel all Hank Hillish.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their words of advice, as I sincerely appreciate it. The drill feels very sturdy and solid, and I'm looking forward to further projects with it.[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked out for you. Here's hoping it's the last drill you ever need to buy!

bread's done
Back