Drink. More. Water! (or, Don't get a kidney stone)

adamsappel

CAGiversary!
I just passed my first kidney stone. Worst pain of my entire life (I'm 40). It felt like someone was twisting a knife in my lower belly while simultaneously kicking me in the balls. Appendicitis was a mere upset tummy in comparison. I was screaming into a pillow and in tears of pain. I threw up a few times. It felt a little better to stand or sit on the toilet and try to piss. Try. A few painful dribbles at a time. After a couple hours when my wife got home and took me to the ER, it mostly stopped hurting and I passed it into a specimen cup. My piss was orange and there was a bloody sand-grain-sized jagged little pill at the bottom. Hurt coming out, but wasn't near as painful as before.

I drink A LOT of Pepsi One, I guess I'm going to have to cut it way back. More water, OJ, cran, POM, etc. I've been on an imported Ramen kick for a bit, too, and that surely didn't help.

Drink more water, don't let it happen to you.

Amen brother.
Did you look at it closely? Mine have looked like sand spurs. Not something you want in your urethra.
I've had stones about six times. I had lithotripsy the first time, then with the rest, lots of painkillers (love that percocet and morphine) and water till they got flushed out. Fun stuff. For about a decade there I was getting one about every two, 2.5 years. It got to where I'd 'feel' one coming, take a day or two off work and just drink gallons and gallons of water.
When I had my first one, at age 15 or something, my granddad said "Drink lots and lots and lots of beer. First, it's mostly water, second, it's an anesthetic." My mom didn't go for it though.
Anyway, yeah, the doctor said the easiest/best thing to do would be cut down caffeine and dark beverage intake (coffee, tea, Coke, etc.) and drink lots of water or cranberry juice. So now I drink water, beer, and at most one Mt Dew a day.
One of the worst things about it is that you can't do much about the pain, other than drugs. You'll find a comfy position where it doesn't hurt, then you'll breathe and that readjusts everything inside you so you're in severe pain again.
Anyway, I'm glad you passed it; it sounds like it sort of snuck up to you, and maybe just 'dropped' into a part of the body that hurts. Prevention is the best medicine with kidney stones.

I totally agree with this. Worst pain of my life. The pain hit me in the early morning (dehydrated?) every couple of days over about a two week period, but only lasted about 5 minutes and then passed. Until, one day, it didn't go away. Caused me to throw up the pain was so bad.

I headed to the emergency room (which is something I NEVER do) and had to wait behind a homeless guy who was complaining about crotch rot (no joke). I just about tore his head off. When I finally got into a room they put an IV in with something like oxycontin. Nothing. No relief. Doubled the dose and, almost immediately, the pain stopped. It was the closest thing to heaven I ever experienced. I got scanned and they saw the stone. Tiny little thing, but what huge pain.

The doctors said that kidney stones are among the most painful thing that can happen to you. I pray that it never happens again.

I'm glad I drink a lot of water, maybe I should drink more.

My gf had one, it hadn't even formed completely into a stone, it was like mostly tiny crystals or something, but it hurt like hell for her on one exam day in high school. She threw up in class and threw up so much later that her contacts popped out. Her mom was a bitch and wouldn't do anything about it, but luckily her dad cared so she got to the hospital and eventually peed those crystals out.

Terrible shit, I think I need some water right now...

Kidney stones: Probably the only thing that could send my 6'5" 300-odd lbs uncle in crying fits and rolling on the floor.

I've had an experience that was probably similar (albeit a bit less traumatic) to the experience and pain of a kidney stone, but I'm not gonna talk about it. :x

Yeah - I used to drink soda instead of water, and then I magically stopped.

Pretty sure that if you drink a good amount of water and OJ on the side, you shouldn't be getting any kidney stones, right?

Friend of mine had one a while ago, I think. Didn't sound fun at all. And shoot, after urinating blood (should've listened when the instructions said "take ALL of the antibiotic), I'd never want any pain like that again.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Just curous if you are taking vitamins or supplements of any kind.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make it worse, does it?

[quote name='Hex']I've had an experience that was probably similar (albeit a bit less traumatic) to the experience and pain of a kidney stone, but I'm not gonna talk about it. :x[/quote]

Oh yes you are! Spill it!!!

Yea... I'm definitely not going to stop drinking a gallon a day. :lol: I also only have about 1 pop a week. Although, I do have a cup of coffee every morning. I quit drinking coffee once and got constipated beyond belief... I wonder which I'd rather have...

[quote name='Hex']Kidney stones: Probably the only thing that could send my 6'5" 300-odd lbs uncle in crying fits and rolling on the floor.

I've had an experience that was probably similar (albeit a bit less traumatic) to the experience and pain of a kidney stone, but I'm not gonna talk about it. :x[/quote]

I smell homoseckz. :lol:

been there done that I was in on the 15th of last month in er and passed one only after they did a ct scan($3,400) and blood test etc. was funney they told me to go see a piss doctor after words because blood in my piss(well not shit shurlock). that was the worst pain in my life only time I have ever gone to the ER and I am 33

There's a genetic predisposition to getting kidney stones so no need to go drinking gallons of water yet unless you've already had one.

this thread needs pics "Gaior's mother holds the kidney stone that was removed."

stone3.jpg

There was a big rush to get away from chugging Gatoraide back when the stuff htit he market and kits were slugging the stuff back morning, noon and night.
All the minerals and such in gatoraide just built up in your kidneys because, unless you were super athletic, your body didn't need 1/2 the excess stuff that those sports beverages would do.

So then everyone stopped drinking it when "kidney stone mania" started happening.

Of course these days I think its mostly genetic......but I heard that its some of the worst pain you can have......the idea is to pass the stuff while its microscopic, before it builds up.

Although I think for bigger ones they can use ultrasound to blast them to smaller bits.

Which you then gotta pass :p

[quote name='Pookymeister']this thread needs pics "Gaior's mother holds the kidney stone that was removed."

stone3.jpg
[/quote]

Uh.... thats the size of a kidney...

This thread actually has me a bit nervous.I drink more than a 2 litter of soda a day and hardly ever drink water unless i have a hang over.Plus im 31...maybe i should take some preventative measures.

I tried to quit drinking pop. But I just couldn't I need the caffeine man. Since I couldn't quit. I made a pact with myself. For every can of pop I drink. The next thing I'll drink is a 20oz bottle of water. I've stuck by that just fine for a long while now.

I never knew water could prevent kidney stones. Ok...enough of the diet soda for a bit, it's water time for me. I've heard how bad stones are, there's no way I want em myself. Thanks for the, uh, vivid stories everyone!

[quote name='Bathory']So what kind of water would anyone recomend to drink?!?!...[/quote]

Probably not tap water as it gives you kidney stones.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Supposedly, for us males to pass a kidney stone, its the closest we'll ever get to feeling what the pain of child birth is like[/QUOTE]

oh jesus fuck

[quote name='spidey']That doesn't make it worse, does it?[/quote]

If you are taking more vitamins/supplements than your body can use, they can form into stones (mostly for older people, I believe).

There's definitely a genetic predisposition/susceptibility. Many kidneystones come from calcium buildup, if you take in more calcium than your body can use (perhaps from vitamins or supplements). A kidney stone is basically from a
'clogged filter' in your body. The point of drinking water is to keep 'flushing' your kidneys so they can do their job, and 'water down' all the more solid/particulate stuff in them. Way back when, the doctor said the best signal is to watch your urine. It should be clear/light yellow. The darker it is, the harder your kidneys are having to work, and of course red/blood is bad (there's few more frightening warning signs your body can give you than pissing blood.)

Some tap water does have more calcium/matter in it, but those sink or fridge or pitcher filters help. Plus it's still better than drinking things like coke or coffee. What gets me is the bottled water "with added minerals". Hello, I'm trying to avoid that stuff.

Is it true that taking protein supplements can help lead to a kidney stone? How do you prevent one while still taking protein?

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Is it true that taking protein supplements can help lead to a kidney stone? How do you prevent one while still taking protein?[/quote]
You don't have to worry about taking protein and gaining a kidney stone; or at least the stone won't be a cause of the protein. Kidney stones are usually calcium deposits.

[quote name='Wikipedia']Kidney stones are most commonly composed of calcium oxalate crystals, and factors that promote the precipitation of crystals in the urine are associated with the development of renal calculi. Conventional wisdom and common sense has long held that consumption of too much calcium can promote the development of kidney stones. However, current evidence suggests that the consumption of low-calcium diets is actually associated with a higher overall risk for the development of kidney stones. This is perhaps related to the role of calcium in binding ingested oxalate in the gastrointestinal tract. As the amount of calcium intake decreases, the amount of oxalate available for absorption into the bloodstream increases; this oxalate is then excreted in greater amounts into the urine by the kidneys. In the urine, oxalate is a very strong promoter of calcium oxalate precipitation, about 15 times stronger than calcium.

Other components of kidney stones include struvite (magnesium, ammonium and phosphate), uric acid, calcium phosphate, or cystine (found only in high urinary concentrations in people suffering from cystinuria). The formation of struvite stones is associated with the presence of urea-splitting bacteria, most commonly Proteus mirabilis (but also Klebsiella, Serratia, Providencia species). These organisms are capable of splitting urea into ammonia, decreasing the acidity of the urine and resulting in favorable conditions for the formation of struvite stones. The formation of calcium phosphate stones is associated with conditions such as hyperparathyroidism and renal tubular acidosis. The formation of uric acid stones is associated with conditions that cause high blood uric acid levels, such as gout, chemotherapy, and acid/base metabolism disorders.
[/quote]

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Is it true that taking protein supplements can help lead to a kidney stone? How do you prevent one while still taking protein?[/quote]
The best thing to do with supplements is to use them to supplement otherwise healthy eating. (Thus the name) Never take more than the recommended allowance, usually take less.

If you want more protein in your diet, I suggest eggs. Very cheap, and loaded with protein. Yogurt is good too. Cleans the digestion and typically has 5-7 grams of protein in a six ounce serving (between 60 and 160 calories). Obviously there's meat as well, the darker the meat, the higher the protein. You can go with a canned meat as a quick snack, (spam or vienna sausages) but be careful with those because of the nitrates.

Definitely, definitely drink plenty of water. I try to find a bottled-purified water, not a minerals added. I avoid Dasani for this reason, I'll drink Aquafina, but the generic is usually the best bang for your buck.

Funny thing is, about 1/3 of all bottled water is absolutely no better/cleaner than most tap water.
At work I get whatever type of bottled water they supply at meetings, but I usually just drink filtered tab wter.

Last time I spoke to the doctor about it he said kidney stones can be created from consuming too much calcium, or not enough, which I guess supports the Wiki article.
My uncle (also a doctor) said there's a strip stretching from Texas through Georgia and up thru the Carolinas known unofficially as the kidney stone belt, because of the higher-than-normal incidence of kidney stones, due to the mineral content in the water table in that area.

[quote name='Bathory']So what kind of water would anyone recomend to drink?!?!...[/QUOTE]
2 parts H, 1 part O.

I think this site is making hypochondriacs of many of us. I switched from pop to mostly Gatorade at work, started taking multivitamins including a calcium supplement. Now how the fuck am I going to sleep at night?

What's next? Cancer of the prick?

[quote name='dtcarson']Way back when, the doctor said the best signal is to watch your urine. It should be clear/light yellow. The darker it is, the harder your kidneys are having to work, and of course red/blood is bad (there's few more frightening warning signs your body can give you than pissing blood.)[/quote]

The color probably correlates, but people shouldn't get freaked out by dark pee necessarily. AFAIK, urine is colored the same way that poop is, with a chemical that's supposed to color it. From experience it seems that the more frequently you pee, the clearer it is, I'm guessing since there wasn't as much time to produce the chemical and put it in the pee.

Now, peeing a lot likely means you've been drinking a lot of water, and yeah, the color probably correlates because of that as well, but people shouldn't be freaked out unless it's always really dark. I'd think everybody's piss is pretty dark in the morning since it has just been sitting in there overnight, but peeing later in the day is usually clearer and that would be the time to get freaked out if your piss is really dark.

And blood is always bad, not contesting that....

[quote name='SpazX']The color probably correlates, but people shouldn't get freaked out by dark pee necessarily. AFAIK, urine is colored the same way that poop is, with a chemical that's supposed to color it. From experience it seems that the more frequently you pee, the clearer it is, I'm guessing since there wasn't as much time to produce the chemical and put it in the pee.

Now, peeing a lot likely means you've been drinking a lot of water, and yeah, the color probably correlates because of that as well, but people shouldn't be freaked out unless it's always really dark. I'd think everybody's piss is pretty dark in the morning since it has just been sitting in there overnight, but peeing later in the day is usually clearer and that would be the time to get freaked out if your piss is really dark.

And blood is always bad, not contesting that....[/quote]

You're pretty much right. We went pretty quickly through urology back in High School, but IIRC the yellow coloured tint to urine is urea/uric acid that your body's passing normally. The more hydrated and often you urinate, the more diluted the uric acid'll be. So basically, you can tell how hydrated you are by the tint of your urine.

My dad has a kidney stone a while back. When mother got a look at the size of the stone that had caused so much grief, she was like, 'bitch please'

I went out yesterday and bought two big cases of bottled water yesterday in response to this thread.

I need to drink more water regardless, since I plan on going back to the gym really soon.

When I had my first stone the nurse who was taking care of me said that she had a stone and the pain of the stone was worse then the 3 times she gave birth.

Most of the time the stones form because people don't drink enough water. Sometimes it is genetic. Whenever you get one stone your chances increase that you will get another. I started getting mine when I was 16 had my last one at 27. my problem was not drinking enough H2O. Living in the desert made it even worse.

I had 6 in total. The first one I had hurt like a motherfucker. I couldn't walk it hurt so bad. I had to crawl to the phone to call my sister to come take me to the hospital. It felt like someone had shoved a knife in my lower back/side and was ripping it up and down. The second one hurt a little less, I could at least walk. The others didn't hurt that much at all.

Now I have a soda maybe once or twice a month and drink a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day..

These things are my worst fear.

Make sure you're drinking pure, filtered water. Tap water can have an excess of minerals in it, which can build up into a kidney stone, from what I understand. my water here in madison has lots of calcium or something in it-- after my first week here, my whole teapot was caked in sediment :bomb: luckily the brita filter gets rid of it.

I had my first kidney stone at 16. They are just something that run in my family. Ive had 4 total, but after I stopped drinking sodas about 3 years back I have not had a single one. I was a very fit 120 in high school, so it really doesnt matter what shape you are in.

bread's done
Back