Drinking old, expired soda (Surge) - safe or no?

THPS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
As many of you probably know, there used to be a soda called Surge that got discontinued years ago. There's a new soda called Vault which tastes strikingly similar to Surge and supposudly is the same formula with more caffine and a different color. Well, I used to be a Surge addict when it was still available, and became a Vault addict when it was finally available. I would drink about 5 bottles worth, but have somewhat kicked the habit and now moderate how much Vault I drink. Anyway, I bought a can of Surge on eBay and plan to do a taste test comparing it to Vault. The can is from 1999, so I was wondering if there are any health hazards associated with this. Since the can is sealed I would assume it would be okay. Anyone know about safety when drinking old soda like this?

Dont be a pussy. It'll be flat, and thats about it. People have already done taste tests on SaveSurge.com. If you were such a fan you'd already know that.

I don't think it'd even be flat. It's not open so it should be the same as it was when it was canned. If it was a 2 liter bottle or something that you would open and pour out of several times, I could see it being flat before you finished it.

Yeah I know about the SaveSurge.org taste tests, so I figured I would be fine. Even if I would get sick I would still drink it. It's just that some of my friends are telling me that if it wasn't constantly refrigerated it would be all nasty and would make me real sick.

The only soda I've ever noticed changing taste after an expiration date is Fresca. Past that date, it tastes disconcertingly different.

One can wouldn't kill you. Now if you bought a pallet of expired TaB from the 60's, and you were going to shotgun them all in a one night binge session, I'd say you stand a risk of a saccharin induced coma, but I'm sure the Surge will be fine.

LMAO

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Dont be a pussy. It'll be flat, and thats about it. People have already done taste tests on SaveSurge.com. If you were such a fan you'd already know that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='adamsappel']The only soda I've ever noticed changing taste after an expiration date is Fresca. Past that date, it tastes disconcertingly different.[/quote]

Good call. I found a can in my in-laws fridge and it didn't taste right at all. It wasn't vomit inducing bad, but it just tasted wrong. I looked on the bottom of the can and come to find out it expired 4 or 5 years prior.

Vault is Surge.

Coca Cola added more caffeine and removed one of the coloring elements.

When I was very young, I ate at a chinese buffet, and received a fortune cookie, inside of which was a fortune that read "One day, you will read a tale of someone buying an old can of soda on eBay."* Since eBay didn't exist at the time, I had no idea what it meant, but I held onto the fortune none-the-less, and now it has come true. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket using the numbers on the back.

* - I think there is also something written about the soda maybe being tainted, and the buyer either getting sick or dying. It's an old fortune, and the ink is fading so I can't quite make it out. Good luck.

[quote name='THPS']As many of you probably know, there used to be a soda called Surge that got discontinued years ago. There's a new soda called Vault which tastes strikingly similar to Surge and supposudly is the same formula with more caffine and a different color. Well, I used to be a Surge addict when it was still available, and became a Vault addict when it was finally available. I would drink about 5 bottles worth, but have somewhat kicked the habit and now moderate how much Vault I drink. Anyway, I bought a can of Surge on eBay and plan to do a taste test comparing it to Vault. The can is from 1999, so I was wondering if there are any health hazards associated with this. Since the can is sealed I would assume it would be okay. Anyone know about safety when drinking old soda like this?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's fine- just make sure you web cam yourself with a link to cheapass gamer so we can watch you chug the stuff!

I am cornholio!

[quote name='guessed']When I was very young, I ate at a chinese buffet, and received a fortune cookie, inside of which was a fortune that read "One day, you will read a tale of someone buying an old can of soda on eBay."* Since eBay didn't exist at the time, I had no idea what it meant, but I held onto the fortune none-the-less, and now it has come true. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket using the numbers on the back.

* - I think there is also something written about the soda maybe being tainted, and the buyer either getting sick or dying. It's an old fortune, and the ink is fading so I can't quite make it out. Good luck.[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='munch']The worst thing that can happen to you is that you'll get the shits.[/QUOTE]

Surge did that to me when it was fresh. I can just imagine the damage it would do now ...

[quote name='guessed']When I was very young, I ate at a chinese buffet, and received a fortune cookie, inside of which was a fortune that read "One day, you will read a tale of someone buying an old can of soda on eBay."* Since eBay didn't exist at the time, I had no idea what it meant, but I held onto the fortune none-the-less, and now it has come true. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket using the numbers on the back.

* - I think there is also something written about the soda maybe being tainted, and the buyer either getting sick or dying. It's an old fortune, and the ink is fading so I can't quite make it out. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Is there anything about a gun being dug into his hip?

* - I think there is also something written about the soda maybe being tainted, and the buyer either getting sick or dying. It's an old fortune, and the ink is fading so I can't quite make it out. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Sounds legit to me. Deadly soda eh? Expect a TV movie on my experience sometime next year. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='friedram']I'm sure it's fine- just make sure you web cam yourself with a link to cheapass gamer so we can watch you chug the stuff!

I am cornholio![/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll do something as long as I can make it interesting. I'll figure something out.

But if people are able to eat military food left over from WWII, I'm sure a can of soda won't do anything. My friend who told me I would get sick is an idiot.

It should be okay, especially in a can. In a plastic bottle (whatever size) it would eventually lose much/most of its carbonation because the plastic is semi-permeable, not porus, but it does allow the escape of carbonation over time. Good luck!

This will be good information to have when a zombie apocalpyse eventually breaks out. I'll have to survive on my wits and whatever I can find in vending machines.

Two days ago I busted out some Pitch Black I've been saving for almost two years (waiting for a special occasion I guess). It seemed fine to me. If only I could find some Pepsi Blue for cheap...

[quote name='TimPV3']Two days ago I busted out some Pitch Black I've been saving for almost two years (waiting for a special occasion I guess). It seemed fine to me. If only I could find some Pepsi Blue for cheap...[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for some Pepsi Blue as well. Most people I know hated that stuff but I liked it. That and that clear Pepsi they used to make.

[quote name='adamsappel']The only soda I've ever noticed changing taste after an expiration date is Fresca. Past that date, it tastes disconcertingly different.[/QUOTE]

Fresca isn't exactly tasty when fresh either IMHO...

Surge was the SHIT. I actually got addicted to it in high school, drank it all the time. My attention span was -50.

Vault is good, but Full Throttle Fury is where it's at.

Yeah but that's not exactly fair. Crystal Pepsi was born when god rode down to a Pepsi factory and blessed the vats. Why do you think it was limited time only. God is expensive.

[quote name='THPS']I've been looking for some Pepsi Blue as well. Most people I know hated that stuff but I liked it. That and that clear Pepsi they used to make.[/quote]

Yeah, what the fuck happend to Pepsi Blue anyway?

i once used a half bottle of surge on my first car after i was trying to fix an oil leak from the valve covers...it was a 77 impala so after i drove it around the block a few times i stopped to look and sure enough i didnt fix it and a small fire was starting so i grabbed the first thing i saw to put it out:D it worked great;)

[quote name='JimmieMac']Finkle is Enihorn[/QUOTE]
Soylent Green is People.

[quote name='Rozz']Yeah, what the fuck happend to Pepsi Blue anyway?[/QUOTE]

Got the axe, for awhile still sold in Japan since I used to always see the ones with japanese writing on ebay, alas even those are gone. Looks like only one auction for a 12 oz can is up right now

I don't know whos more stupid, your friends for telling you or you for believing it. Go to the grocery store. How many pallets of pop are sitting out? Their sitting at room temp from their factory to your house. Semi trailors the pop is carried in are metal. Its been hot as hell in there as they've been carried across the country.

Its water with sugar and CO2. It can't go bad. It can taste like shit, but not be dangerous.

Actually, I should say its no more dangerous old than it is new as drinking 5 cans of that shit a day should give you severe constipation and a heartattack.

[quote name='THPS']Yeah I know about the SaveSurge.org taste tests, so I figured I would be fine. Even if I would get sick I would still drink it. It's just that some of my friends are telling me that if it wasn't constantly refrigerated it would be all nasty and would make me real sick.[/quote]

It should be fine. I've seen people drink Tab that was at least 25 years old with no ill effects, so I really doubt a 7 year old can of Surge is going to do anything to you.

bread's done
Back