Driveclub *New* - $19.99 at Gamestop

Any reason to go back and get a new copy, If the used one I got on the 25th for $20.15 at GameStop looks brand new? The case had no GS stickers on it, the disk had one fingerprint on the back.

It really doesn't pay to go digital unless there is a huge discount.
Don't understand people going all digital for new/recent games, especially people on this site. Prices are rarely lower than what can be had at retail, especially with GCU, and you lose the ability to resell/trade in. Digital is for people who like to burn money in exchange for a slight bit of convenience.

As for comparing this game to Forza 5.. comparing a game in it's fifth iteration to a new IP, a game that is trying to be a sim to one that is an arcade racer? And Horizon 2 is also a completely different game, that's like comparing Burnout Paradise to Project Gotham Racing. All are in the racing genre, but all very different games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh GameStop.. got a copy that is "new" even though it's opened and the case is hammered with a sticker holding it closed because it was the last copy and box was the floor model.  With no other copies close I'm keeping it, but still irritated that they claim this as new.

Don't understand people going all digital for new/recent games, especially people on this site. Prices are rarely lower than what can be had at retail, especially with GCU, and you lose the ability to resell/trade in. Digital is for people who like to burn money in exchange for a slight bit of convenience.

As for comparing this game to Forza 5.. comparing a game in it's fifth iteration to a new IP, a game that is trying to be a sim to one that is an arcade racer? And Horizon 2 is also a completely different game, that's like comparing Burnout Paradise to Project Gotham Racing. All are in the racing genre, but all very different games.
i buy digital because i could game share, and its convenient

figured if i buy the physical disk and sell it later ill lose about the same amount of money if not more

If you like arcade racers, get it. It's fantastic.

I never really liked GT or Forza. They bored me. But I've always loved arcade racers. Got the platinum in every NFS game except Shift 2, both MotorStorms with trophies, Midnight Club, Burnout, Blur, and Split/Second, and DriveClub is as fun as any of them.

I paid $20 last week for it used and thought it was well worth it. I love it. I did "one more lap" about 20 times last night. It may even be my favorite PS4 game outside of GTAV.

I only buy digital if I can get the game cheaper than physical. Or that's only option.

Normally only buy games on sale.. So when I do sell them I tend to only lose a little, or actually make money with bonus trade in values.

Now that I have GCU.. Physical and even pre orders are worth so much more to me.

Brand new game I can pre order for $48.. And if it's a dud.. Sell for $40+
Digital pre order? $60 and you are stuck with it forever.

Now some game I know I'll never sell and want he digital, so when the price is right I buy. (Sold my d3 ps4 copy for the exact same I paid for it $40.. Got digital for $32-34 on sale)

i buy digital because i could game share, and its convenient

figured if i buy the physical disk and sell it later ill lose about the same amount of money if not more
Well game sharing is an exception to the rule, however I doubt most that have committed to being digital only are game sharing. Still, like Thebacklash said, you are stuck with a digital copy forever, so a $30 game share price is still lost even if the game sucks, where if he trades a physical copy in immediately he is out a couple dollars at most, I personally resell on Amazon and usually break about even to the GCU price since you can get about $54 from a new release minus shipping and amazon fees.

Well game sharing is an exception to the rule, however I doubt most that have committed to being digital only are game sharing. Still, like Thebacklash said, you are stuck with a digital copy forever, so a $30 game share price is still lost even if the game sucks, where if he trades a physical copy in immediately he is out a couple dollars at most, I personally resell on Amazon and usually break about even to the GCU price since you can get about $54 from a new release minus shipping and amazon fees.
I game share using my discs. Any PS4 disc will fit into any PS4 console, so it's pretty useful. Seriously, though, game sharing isn't as useful as it is on PS3. It can still be done but requires a little more finesse because of the home/primary console designation. I actually have two PS4's in my household (I have kids that use them too) and discs are easier to use than digital versions if someone uses the second console. Obviously, you can't both use the disc at the same time, so game sharing could be handy in that case.

Warning! This is for their "new" opened box displays that they rent out internally to employees. I hate that policy, because they try to turn around and sell it for new. I'll wait for a digital deal instead.

I just came from 2 gamestops, same situation at both.

Warning! This is for their "new" opened box displays that they rent out internally to employees. I hate that policy, because they try to turn around and sell it for new. I'll wait for a digital deal instead.

I was already aware of that policy and it goes back 3-4 years when I used to shop exclusively at Gamestop. The Gamestop employee asked me if I had any problems with an open box game when I called to confirm they had it in stock. So it's no surprise it was probably loaned out to emplyees. The disc looks spotless so i'm cool with that.

I was already aware of that policy and it goes back 3-4 years when I used to shop exclusively at Gamestop. The Gamestop employee asked me if I had any problems with an open box game when I called to confirm they had it in stock. So it's no surprise it was probably loaned out to emplyees. The disc looks spotless so i'm cool with that.
Technically they are only supposed to be able to take used copies home to play.. "New" even the opened new copies are supposed to be un-played because then it technically is used and would be fraud on their part... To bad most people that work for them are so afraid to lose the job because a whistle blower on the situation could cause a world of hurt to gamestop..

Technically they are only supposed to be able to take used copies home to play.. "New" even the opened new copies are supposed to be un-played because then it technically is used and would be fraud on their part... To bad most people that work for them are so afraid to lose the job because a whistle blower on the situation could cause a world of hurt to gamestop..
I've worked at four different GameStops in two different states, and at all four, checking out new games was 100% not allowed. It was something that was possible years ago, but they changed the policy. Unless an actual GameStop employee would like to chime in and say they are allowed at their store to check out the new gutted copies of games, it isn't possible to check out a new game, lest you will risk your job, like Derrick said.

I ended up price matching this at best buy. One gamestop I went to had 1 opened new copy so I went to another one. While I was  at the second gamestop, employee opens the drawer and there were like 5 copies of the game all opened being sold as new. The employee tried to sell me one even suggested showing me the game disc and case thinking that would change my mind lol. Then finally the third gamestop I went to couldn't find the game even though it showed that they had a copy. After my trips I just went to a best buy, got it price matched and used my $20 certificate and went on home. The End.

This is my price point since I have been eyeing this game for a while but can anyone who played it give me an honest opinion of how they feel about the game, and how fun it is to them?

I don't play racers much but this one looks pretty cool.

I've worked at four different GameStops in two different states, and at all four, checking out new games was 100% not allowed. It was something that was possible years ago, but they changed the policy. Unless an actual GameStop employee would like to chime in and say they are allowed at their store to check out the new gutted copies of games, it isn't possible to check out a new game, lest you will risk your job, like Derrick said.
this is news to me, I'll reconsider my stance but I'd rather have best buy pm it

Ugh GameStop.. got a copy that is "new" even though it's opened and the case is hammered with a sticker holding it closed because it was the last copy and box was the floor model. With no other copies close I'm keeping it, but still irritated that they claim this as new.
I had the same situation. It was their last copy and driving to another Gamestop would make the deal less appealing. I actually asked the girl to not put that sticker on because I've had trouble getting the residue off in the past, even with Goo Gone. She refused and told me she was "legally obligated" to put it on. They act like that dumb sticker makes it new again. After I got home and looked at the case, I noticed the artwork looked like it had been taken out and crinkled/scuffed, not to mention the slash through the case and the barcode on the back.

It's a good price and I had credit to spend, but that policy is garbage. They should sell those opened copies on the shelf at a discount. They are clearly not new.

Warning! This is for their "new" opened box displays
Only if it's their last copy, which is the case with all Gamestop "new" games on the shelf. If they have more than 1 copy, they should have a brand new sealed copy behind the counter for the same price.

I had the same situation. It was their last copy and driving to another Gamestop would make the deal less appealing. I actually asked the girl to not put that sticker on because I've had trouble getting the residue off in the past, even with Goo Gone. She refused and told me she was "legally obligated" to put it on. They act like that dumb sticker makes it new again. After I got home and looked at the case, I noticed the artwork looked like it had been taken out and crinkled/scuffed, not to mention the slash through the case and the barcode on the back.

It's a good price and I had credit to spend, but that policy is garbage. They should sell those opened copies on the shelf at a discount. They are clearly not new.

Only if it's their last copy, which is the case with all Gamestop "new" games on the shelf. If they have more than 1 copy, they should have a brand new sealed copy behind the counter for the same price.
the manager called over to another store that had 2 copies, no sealed copies available. I left as soon as he told me.

I understand their policy but I can't agree with the morality of it. If it's open it's used, bottom line.

I'm considering this because I purchased 8 cars and one of the vehicle packs for free on PSN including one of the Motorstorm buggies earlier. And I still only own two physical PS4 games Infamous and Putty Squad so buying this one will fill out my collection a bit more.

the manager called over to another store that had 2 copies, no sealed copies available.
Interesting. I'm not sure why a store would have 2 opened "new" copies. In my experience, it is only the one on the shelf that gets opened unless they are converting a game to used.

I would have just did a PM at Best Buy, but I don't have credit there and didn't want to spend cash on this.

Does anybody planning on playing this a lot? I have a club CheapAssRacers that is level 15 but there is like 1 or 2 guys that don't play at all. Just taking up space for people that are actually playing, if so pm me and I'll drop em and inv you.

no more space

this is news to me, I'll reconsider my stance but I'd rather have best buy pm it
While I will say what I said, I don't support it. I hate the idea of gutted games, I hate the idea of getting the last copy of the game at Target in the plastic coffin... But, each company makes their policy as they best see fit. Best thing I can say is always ask. It's disappointing that so many people have shitty experiences at GameStop, because when I was a retail employee I knew how I want to be treated by an employee, so I tried to be courteous and helpful.

Do this: Ask if they can put the clear plastic sticker on the paper sleeve instead of the exterior of the case. That is how one store operated, and it worked fantastically. If the employee refuses, at least you tried, and you can always mention on the survey that you asked specifically so the case wouldn't get ruined. But yeah, getting them off of cases is pretty much impossible.

Interesting. I'm not sure why a store would have 2 opened "new" copies. In my experience, it is only the one on the shelf that gets opened unless they are converting a game to used.

I would have just did a PM at Best Buy, but I don't have credit there and didn't want to spend cash on this.
Sometimes they gut a second copy to put on a stand near the door for weekend deals or stuff like that. You can never have enough gutted copies littering the store. You'd think the flyer or signs would be enough... Nope.

anyone know how long this deal will last? I wanna PM at best buy but will have to wait until tomorrow or maybe friday. 

I went in to gamestop to buy a copy and the employee was talking mad shit about Drive Club. I ended up not getting it, but might buy it at work instead with a pm and my discount. Is it really that bad though? Seems like it's not Forza, but also not terrible.

I went in to gamestop to buy a copy and the employee was talking mad shit about Drive Club. I ended up not getting it, but might buy it at work instead with a pm and my discount. Is it really that bad though? Seems like it's not Forza, but also not terrible.
That guy was and I'm pretty sure of this, still living in October. Driveclub after all the updates and patches is up there at the top when it comes to racing games. If you can get it cheaper than $20 with your discounts then do it.

Yea it started out bad but if the game released today with the way it is now, then the reviews will be much better than what you see out there. There would also be much less hate.

Just my opinion.

That guy was and I'm pretty sure of this, still living in October. Driveclub after all the updates and patches is up there at the top when it comes to racing games. If you can get it cheaper than $20 with your discounts then do it.

Yea it started out bad but if the game released today with the way it is now, then the reviews will be much better than what you see out there. There would also be much less hate.

Just my opinion.
You think I should just wait for the full version to pop up on Plus or get the complete edition instead?

You think I should just wait for the full version to pop up on Plus or get the complete edition instead?
You might be waiting for a long time :p

IDK that's up to you, I'm not sure what cars will available in the free PS+ version. For all we know, they could the crappiest cars in each class. For $20 now, you get everything. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to upgrade from the PS+ version to the full game that it will cost more than $20. Also if you don't like it, then you could get rid of for close to what you paid or more (ebay)

Anyways, LAMBOS FTW

I'm waiting on the PS+ version. I will not buy this out of principle until that version is released.
PS+ version is/was a glorified demo, hardly worth holding out for especially when you get the full experience for $20. I highly doubt there will ever be a PS+ version, in fact Sony wants to turn Drive Club into a service so likely there will be a Drive Club store front which will be a free download and you pay for tracks, cars, mods etc. Just a guess but I think that's the direction they are hinting at.

Sadly unavailable in my area. I tried to get BB to PM it, but the cashier refused since GameStop.com said it was out of stock online.

If you like racers it's most definitely worth $20.

Of course it's not Forza, but imo they're the standard of what a racing game should be and no one does it better.

I game share using my discs. Any PS4 disc will fit into any PS4 console, so it's pretty useful. Seriously, though, game sharing isn't as useful as it is on PS3. It can still be done but requires a little more finesse because of the home/primary console designation. I actually have two PS4's in my household (I have kids that use them too) and discs are easier to use than digital versions if someone uses the second console. Obviously, you can't both use the disc at the same time, so game sharing could be handy in that case.
That's the reason I buy digital, 2 PS4s and kids, games like Diablo and COD become worth it but I usually wait for a sale on them anyway. There are certain games that I knew would get played a lot like FO3 or Burnout Paradise last gen that I would have payed full price for but ended up getting both on sale for under $10 any how. I have never purchased a day one digital but that could change some day.

Coming from Horizon 2, I could not get into Driveclub. It definitely looks better than FH2, but I didnt care much for the actual driving or game.
I was the exact opposite. After playing driveclub, and then buying fh2. horizon 2, was just boring. I turned off most of the assist and I was still winning every race with ease.there was no need to max out classes, or semi difficult bosses, it was just easy-boring racing. It was borderline depressing because horizon was probably was favorite game from last gen.

How else are 2 employees suppose to play together online? Lol

But according to a gamestop store manage I spoke to you open a game, piss on the box, throw it down a flight of stairs, let it sit in a store window and get sun fading, let 500 little kids sneeze on it and man handle it, put stickers on the box but its still brand new as long as the actual game disc hasnt been put inside a console. So if employees "rent" a game and put it inside a console its still brand new?

This would be worth it if my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel actually worked for PS4, but it doesn't so I guess I'm stuck with PS3 sims.

This would be worth it if my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel actually worked for PS4, but it doesn't so I guess I'm stuck with PS3 sims.
Driveclub works surprisingly well with a DS4. This is coming from someone who played a ton of GT5 & 6 with a DFGT. But yeah, the lack of support for Logitech wheels is a bummer. Especially since Evo had previously stated that they would work with the PS4 and Driveclub (this was before the PS4 even came out).

Just got this price matched at Best Buy thanks to 8 local gamestops having display copies.  Despite all the issues I've heard about the game, $20 sounds good until GT7 hits.

Just my opinion.
Thanks. That's what I figured. I might just pick it up. Not really a huge racing fan, but I wouldn't mind just messing around. The last racing game I bought aside from need for speed was Blur. Lol

bread's done
Back