Driver: San Francisco $44.99 (Xbox/PS3) Free Shipping @ Toysrus.com

[quote name='crunchewy']The Wii is not capable of having demos of retail games (unless they happen to be small enough to be WiiWare) because it doesn't have nearly enough storage to hold demos of retail games. There has never been a demo of a retail Wii game as far as I know. You're only option is to rent it, read reviews, or buy it and hope for the best.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured.

Amazon has passed on price matching all Toys r us and newegg preorder price drops and this is number 8 or so in the past month.

I had a brief moment with the demo and was caught way off guard with the shifting bodies. Struck me as such a dumb idea in a game I thought would be a normal driver/adventure game.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I had a brief moment with the demo and was caught way off guard with the shifting bodies. Struck me as such a dumb idea in a game I thought would be a normal driver/adventure game.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. This is a driving-adventure game, not a driving/adventure game. Reflections bypassed the on-foot action that GTA trumps the Driver series on, and instead made a game for people who just want to drive a large variety of nice cars without much BS in between. I don't understand why so many people often find any sort of innovation in a genre as "dumb" after playing for 5 minutes. I'm speaking about Shift as a game mechanic here of course; as a plot element I'm not exactly convinced.

[quote name='bsmiff']That's the thing though. This is a driving-adventure game, not a driving/adventure game. Reflections bypassed the on-foot action that GTA trumps the Driver series on, and instead made a game for people who just want to drive a large variety of nice cars without much BS in between. I don't understand why so many people often find any sort of innovation in a genre as "dumb" after playing for 5 minutes. I'm speaking about Shift as a game mechanic here of course; as a plot element I'm not exactly convinced.[/QUOTE]

Could care less about gta. The demo didn't make the shifting seem plausible even in a video game. I'm watching this killer intro where a guy breaks out of prison and the graphics are great and I'm impressed. I start up the first episode and suddenly my character is trying out how to explain to his partner that he can jump into people's bodies. Completely lost me, completely dumb. Struck me as, hey we don't want to code the guy getting out of a car and into another or simply appear in new cars so let's do something even more moronic.

Bullet time was an innovation, cover mechanics the same. Creating a plot fail point to cut corners is dumb. In my Opinion.

The demo was alright. I loved hearing the car crashes with surround sound. I didn't like the fact that you couldn't get out of your car though. I really loved that from the Driv3r. I'll probably pick this one up once it hits $20 or a free rental comes my way, whichever one comes first.

[quote name='ijustw1n']Could care less about gta. The demo didn't make the shifting seem plausible even in a video game. I'm watching this killer intro where a guy breaks out of prison and the graphics are great and I'm impressed. I start up the first episode and suddenly my character is trying out how to explain to his partner that he can jump into people's bodies. Completely lost me, completely dumb. Struck me as, hey we don't want to code the guy getting out of a car and into another or simply appear in new cars so let's do something even more moronic.

Bullet time was an innovation, cover mechanics the same. Creating a plot fail point to cut corners is dumb. In my Opinion.[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from as the plot seems very hokey to me. Maybe it doesn't bother me so much since I really like Shift from a pure gameplay standpoint, and these days I don't expect much out of most game's single player stories.

I certainly don't think Shifting will influence a whole genre like cover mechanics did, but it takes a new and fresh look at what already exists, which defines innovation. The SF devs didn't cut corners with Shift because they aren't trying to make another "roam around the city on foot jacking cars" kind of game.

In the end, I respect creativity and the audacity to do something different with games. Even if the concept fails, it makes me happy to see game devs progressing beyond what's deemed successful and profitable, or at least injecting some new ideas into their work.

I tried the demo and didn't like it at all. All the cars basically drove the same and the story was just weird like I was playing Driver meets Kane and Lynch.

Anyway this smells like a $20 game waiting to happen.

[quote name='ijustw1n']Could care less about gta. The demo didn't make the shifting seem plausible even in a video game. I'm watching this killer intro where a guy breaks out of prison and the graphics are great and I'm impressed. I start up the first episode and suddenly my character is trying out how to explain to his partner that he can jump into people's bodies. Completely lost me, completely dumb. Struck me as, hey we don't want to code the guy getting out of a car and into another or simply appear in new cars so let's do something even more moronic.

Bullet time was an innovation, cover mechanics the same. Creating a plot fail point to cut corners is dumb. In my Opinion.[/QUOTE]

The whole reason he can shift bodies is because he's in a coma.

I liked the demo though it mostly made me pine for Wheelman. The dialogue was just great in the cheesy cutesy sorta way. Strongly considering this one.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I liked the demo though it mostly made me pine for Wheelman. The dialogue was just great in the cheesy cutesy sorta way. Strongly considering this one.[/QUOTE]

It's getting pretty decent reviews across the board. Not all the reviews I've found (plenty of 8+ scores from the UK) are loaded into Metacritic yet, but here's the link so far: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/driver-san-francisco

Does anyone have any experience with TRU pre-orders? Are cancellations fairly painless? Since Amazon won't seem to budge from MSRP with no bonuses, I'd like to lock in this deal, but still be able to back out if Amazon steps up their game last-minute.

[quote name='TheBomb69']Will wait for a sub $20 price.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I played the demo and thought it was decent, but with all the other games on the horizon there is no way I'm going to spend any more than $20 for this one. If it wasn't for the bad timing on the release of this I'd probably pick it up at this price.

Played demo...must resist. I fully enjoyed the single player demo, although those red barricades need to go. The cars felt a little too same, but otherwise, pretty good arcade-style controls (better than GTA). This is definitely a driving game right up my alley with all the movie inspired missions, but I don't see this game doing well. If I can just wait a couple of months, I'm sure it'll be near $20 soon enough. Of course, the lack of decent pre-order bonuses, and the cool CE only available in Europe, makes this a wait and see game anyways.

I ended up pre-ordering from Best Buy. They've got a good 40% bonus trade-in deal going, plus a $10 off coupon for Driver: SF. Trading in :360: NFS:HP and Portal 2 covered it, maybe some credit left over.

Should've did the 50% promo with Madden. Buy Madden then exchange it when Driver comes out and use the $10 coupon when you exchange it and 10% off coupon.

[quote name='boogie4114']Should've did the 50% promo with Madden. Buy Madden then exchange it when Driver comes out and use the $10 coupon when you exchange it and 10% off coupon.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not really into pulling stuff like that. Being honest provided a good enough deal for me.

The multiplayer demo was extremely fun, nearly enough for me to preorder this or pick up on day 1. Unfortunately, the backlog will not permit and this going-back-to-college-thing seems to be in the way too.

Needless to say, I'll be picking up this title eventually.

Looks like this is still at this price, and still qualifies for the "Buy 1, Get 1 50% off" from this week's ad. I think I'm going to finally give in and buy this game, especially after having fun with the demos, and reading the flattering reviews.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about picking this up in store. It does ring up at $59.99, but since the price on the website does not say "Online Only" they let me PM the website. My cashier did have to get a manager to confirm they could do the website PM, so slight YMMV.

anyone getting a delay in their preorder shipping? first time ordering a pre order on their site and i'm not liking the delay.

the email even stated they dont know when it'll ship even though the website says it's in stock. and if they cant ship in 1 month, they'll just cancel my order...

Dropped by TRU tonight to get my kids (and me) Mario Strikers and Punch Out with the buy one get one 50% off deal. Asked about price matching the Driver SF online price of 44.99 and they said alright, so I picked it up. Game is pretty darn cool.

bread's done
Back