driving from ct to northern nj without getting killed

daria19

CAGiversary!
Somewhat self explanatory; looking for the best route to drive to nutley NJ from milford CT and to avoid the worst of the NYC traffic. I have to be at an interview at 12:30 pm tomorrow, so will leave early tomorrow morning. I can deal with I-95 around the shoreline/Q bridge, but new haven is probably the largest city that I have actually driven in (took train in larger cities) and the other drivers here are actually alot more courteous/less suicidal than what I imagine NYC people would be. Yahoo maps and mapquest seem to prefer taking I-95 for most of the trip. Is this reasonable, or would you recommend something else?

Is the I87/287 (tappan zee) an easier drive, and how far out of my way would I have to go?

It is hard to figure out this information by just looking at some maps and traffic cams. Alot of things look great on paper.

Thanks for your help.

If this is your first time on the trip just stay on I-95, less chance to get loss with minimal navigation skills. The problem with mapquest and every other map site is they're driving times always end up outta whack a little. The earlier you leave the better is my philosophy.

I've gone both ways a few times. I87 seems a bit out of the way though, especially considering 95 is a much, much easier route - I got lost using mapquest directions from I87 and took the wrong exit, ending up in the middle of a very unfriendly neighborhood.

The drivers aren't that bad. Just stay around speed limits, stick in your lane, and be careful when exiting tolls - the sudden bottleneck can cause some problems. Otherwise, not only is it a faster drive heading down 95, but you have rest stops and all that as well (can't remember if there are any on I87, but i know 95 has a ton). Just relax, have fun, and be safe!

Oh and definately leave early.

bread's done
Back