DS game pricing

MadChedar0

CAGiversary!
ebgames.com is posting $49.99 for all the DS games so far. Yikes. I was thinking more GBA range stuff. Hopefully EB is just speculating too high.

[quote name='MadChedar0']ebgames.com is posting $49.99 for all the DS games so far. Yikes. I was thinking more GBA range stuff. Hopefully EB is just speculating too high.[/quote]

wrong forum but i think its expected because the carts can get as large as 1 gig and big carts cost more. Every n64 game was 60 remember

If the games end up being $49.99 then there is no way I am getting the system.

I remember when Gameboy Advance game out and 1st part games were $29.99 - $34.99 and 3rd party games for $39.99 which seemed like a lot of money but $49.99 for a handheld game?!

Like most people on this site I don't like spending more than $5 or $10 on a game and I don't think I could ever spend any more than $29.99 for a handheld game.

Let's list everything that we don't know...

-The actual release date
-The system's final name
-The actual list of games - remember, most of what was at E3 was tech demos and very early games
-The MSRP for the system OR the games

Just wait...we have no idea what will actually happen. Don't get worked up over this, as we've got no proof at all that it's correct...

I'd pay 49.99 for PSP seeing as theyre CD's but if Nintendo whats to screw around with cartridges for 50 bucks im not having any part in it

[quote name='karmapolice620']I'd pay 49.99 for PSP seeing as theyre CD's but if Nintendo whats to screw around with cartridges for 50 bucks im not having any part in it[/quote]

You do realize that cartridges cost exponentially more to produce than CDs right? Besides, I'd rather have cartridges. Can't scratch 'em, no load times, etc.

[quote name='karmapolice620']I'd pay 49.99 for PSP seeing as theyre CD's but if Nintendo whats to screw around with cartridges for 50 bucks im not having any part in it[/quote]

why would you pay 50 for a cd when they cost less to make than a cart?

THE DS DOES NOT USE CARTRIDGES!

[quote name='Nintendo']New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.[/quote]

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_overview.jsp

I'm just sick of people making assumptions about what the system can and can't do when we know so little...but this is one thing that we DO know.

New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.

Even so, i would buy 50 dollar games for Portable handhelds, their getting to the point where the games look nice as hell. If you've seen some of the games on DS or PSP then u would understand.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='karmapolice620']I'd pay 49.99 for PSP seeing as theyre CD's but if Nintendo whats to screw around with cartridges for 50 bucks im not having any part in it[/quote]

[quote name='Nintendo']New Media: For its compact cards, the unit uses newly developed semiconductor memory, which allows for lower cost, shorter manufacturing time and memory capacity of more than one gigabit of information.[/quote]

I'm just sick of people making assumptions about what the system can and can't do when we know so little...but this is one thing that we DO know.[/quote]

Its still solid state media vs optical and optical is still cheaper

Lets get this in perspective though. 1gigabit sounds like alot but its only 128 megabytes.

[quote name='BULL_Ship'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='karmapolice620']I'd pay 49.99 for PSP seeing as theyre CD's but if Nintendo whats to screw around with cartridges for 50 bucks im not having any part in it[/quote]

I'm just sick of people making assumptions about what the system can and can't do when we know so little...but this is one thing that we DO know.[/quote]

Its still solid state media vs optical and optical is still cheaper

Lets get this in perspective though. 1gigabit sounds like alot but its only 128 megabytes.[/quote]

Wow, another person that knows there are 8 bits in a byte! I have 8 Gb of RAM!!!

[quote name='Ledhed']You do realize that cartridges cost exponentially more to produce than CDs right?[/quote]

They can't cost "exponentially more". You might have meant "significantly more"..

What does that even mean? 1 cart costs twice as much to make as 1 disc, but 2 carts cost 4 times as much as 2 cds?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Ledhed']You do realize that cartridges cost exponentially more to produce than CDs right?[/quote]

They can't cost "exponentially more". You might have meant "significantly more"..

What does that even mean? 1 cart costs twice as much to make as 1 disc, but 2 carts cost 4 times as much as 2 cds?[/quote]

Actually, that's probably not far off the truth.

Anyway, I'm sure EB is overcompensating on price so they don't get complaints later. For instance, I think we're all pretty sure the system itself will cost less than $200 - and it sure won't cost more than $200. You can say the same thing about the games, there's no way they'll cost more than $50.

That way they can't get complaints filed against them for overcharging in the unlikely case that the hardware and software do end up costing more than was authorized.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage'][quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Ledhed']You do realize that cartridges cost exponentially more to produce than CDs right?[/quote]

What does that even mean? 1 cart costs twice as much to make as 1 disc, but 2 carts cost 4 times as much as 2 cds?[/quote]

Actually, that's probably not far off the truth.

Anyway, I'm sure EB is overcompensating on price so they don't get complaints later. For instance, I think we're all pretty sure the system itself will cost less than $200 - and it sure won't cost more than $200. You can say the same thing about the games, there's no way they'll cost more than $50.

That way they can't get complaints filed against them for overcharging in the unlikely case that the hardware and software do end up costing more than was authorized.[/quote]

If EB was truly determined to do it that way, though, they'd set outrageous prices so no one would order. $500 for a game and $20,000 for the console? Sounds like a relatively safe pricing level to me! :wink:

Back to the card issue...yes, they're more expensive. Still, think about what kind of abuse the games for a disc-based portable will go through. At the very least, I can easily see it being damn hard, if not impossible, to find used PSP games in decent shape. If people can kill console games so easily, just think about what will happen to portable games... *shudders*

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Ledhed']You do realize that cartridges cost exponentially more to produce than CDs right?[/quote]

I was simply using the word to emphasize the difference in production cost compared to the 2 formats. You are right, they cannot be 'exponentially' different. Excuse me for questioning the properties of an exponent. Tonite I will sacrifice an Army Men game to the pagan Arithmetic gods and pray for forgiveness.

yeah nintendo isn't going to put out 50 buck games, I paid 40 bucks at launch for THPS2, but there are very few GBA games that cost that much new now. Plus 1st party nintendo games (Usually the best games) are always cheaper then the 3rd party ones.

[quote name='KingDox']Plus 1st party nintendo games (Usually the best games) are always cheaper then the 3rd party ones.[/quote]

Since when? In my experience, it's the Nintendo games that take the longest to price drop because they are usually the best games.

id pay 50 for animal crossing, but that would be the only game id have for the ds.
lets do some logic

fact: if the games are more than 30$ they will sell poorly.
fact: nintendo wants games to sell well.
conclusion: games will be 30 or less,

i hope less, since they dont have to pay to put a battery in a card. plus i dont even pay 30$ for gba games, most i pay is 20.

but nintendo, charge what you will for animal crossing...it will still be mine

$50 for DS games? Say it ain't so!

*dramatic pause*

Ehh, if it really IS that expensive, I'll pocket my money I was planning to use for the DS and buy a few new video games.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='KingDox']Plus 1st party nintendo games (Usually the best games) are always cheaper then the 3rd party ones.[/quote]

Since when? In my experience, it's the Nintendo games that take the longest to price drop because they are usually the best games.[/quote]

yes nintendo games take a while to drop in price, but at when they are realsed since they don't have to pay a licence fee they are usually cheaper. At launch F-zero for the GBA cost me 30 while THPS 2 and a other 3rd party games cost $40.

[quote name='KingDox']
yes nintendo games take a while to drop in price, but at when they are realsed since they don't have to pay a licence fee they are usually cheaper. At launch F-zero for the GBA cost me 30 while THPS 2 and a other 3rd party games cost $40.[/quote]

You are definitely right about no licensing fees, but I haven't seen a $40 GBA game since it's launch. Since then, I can only think of 2 non-Nintendo games that were above $29.99: FF Tactics Advance, and Tactics Ogre KoL.

My point is, you are right that there were expensive 3rd party games at launch, but that isn't the case now. Although Nintendo occasionally does come through with early price drops. Both Golden Suns and both Advance Wars are great examples. But if it has the word 'Mario' in the title, I guarantee it'll never drop below $30 brand new.

[quote name='gothic walrus']think about what kind of abuse the games for a disc-based portable will go through. At the very least, I can easily see it being damn hard, if not impossible, to find used PSP games in decent shape. If people can kill console games so easily, just think about what will happen to portable games... *shudders*
[/quote]

from all the photos I've seen, the UMD comes in a protective cradle, like cdrom media did when it first came out about 15-20 years ago. You'll never be touching the disks so they won't get damaged. Still, that's the nice thing about solid state software isn't it? You can practically drive a truck over an atari cart and it'll still work.

bread's done
Back