DS (or GBA) game closest to Diablo??

mcelfour

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I was thinking today about how much fun I used to have playing through Diablo, just searching for interesting items, etc. I really enjoyed the random dungeons and random drops.

Is there anything close to this on DS, or if that fails, GBA?

I've found Children of Mana, but does that have random dungeons? I've also wondered about the Mystery Dungeon games, or Izuna, but those have turn based battles don't they?

Thoughts? Also, the cheaper the better! :D

Thanks!

Izuna and the Mysterious Dungeon games are entirely turn-based, but otherwise quite similar. If you're interested in that, though, I'd suggest waiting for Shiren the Wanderer to come out, as that's pretty much the masterpiece of the genre.

Shining Soul I and II (both GBA) are kind of Diablo-lite. They don't have random dungeons, but do have random items, a variety of classes with customized skill trees, pretty good multiplayer, etc. II has twice as many character classes than I and some other nice additions, but it also has ridiculously long story scenes with trite dialogue that can't be skipped, while I is easier to pick up and play.

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers and/or Return Of The King (GBA). They don't have random dungeons, but IIRC they play very similar to Diablo and they're both excellent GBA hack&slash games (the sound alone is amazing).

After watching videos, it seems like Baldur's Gate is closest to what I'm after. I don't think it has the random dungeon aspect, but the gameplay looks good. Also, the LotR game too. However, I don't think they're what I'm after. I really just want Diablo to be portable. Hmmm....mini-laptop??? :p

Thanks for the advice!

mcelfour don't waste your time with Izuna. The killer boxart sold me and it was fun for about five minutes, but as soon as you enter a dungeon, the exploration/combat feels like something off of a cell phone game. Very shallow. I remember playing the LOTR games on gba and they were very similar to Diablo. They were really fun, and I don't remember them being too easy, but they might look pretty crappy by todays standards.

[quote name='q 3']Izuna and the Mysterious Dungeon games are entirely turn-based, but otherwise quite similar. If you're interested in that, though, I'd suggest waiting for Shiren the Wanderer to come out, as that's pretty much the masterpiece of the genre.

Shining Soul I and II (both GBA) are kind of Diablo-lite. They don't have random dungeons, but do have random items, a variety of classes with customized skill trees, pretty good multiplayer, etc. II has twice as many character classes than I and some other nice additions, but it also has ridiculously long story scenes with trite dialogue that can't be skipped, while I is easier to pick up and play.[/quote]

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is coming out March 4th here in the US...so next week!!

If you want Diablo action, Dungeon Explorer is THE Diablo equivalent, though not as good (according to reviews). There's been reports that Dungeon Explorer was already showing up in BB around the nation last week. I'm sure by now, GS and EB will probably have a few at each store. The review at IGN sums it up the best: http://ds.ign.com/articles/852/852767p1.html

I second the Lord of the Rings games as great hack n slashers with TONS of RPG elements (weapons, magic, experience, skill trees ...) and many playable characters and story paths.

If you need a third recommendation on the Lord of the Rings games, then here it is. I have played through them both and like the previous posters have said, they are a lot of fun. Make sure you get the ones that are published by EA. There are two of them (Two Towers & Return of the King). Avoid the Fellowship of the Ring one, which was not even published by EA.

The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age is just a regular RPG that is not as much fun as the other two EA games.

bread's done
Back