DS or PSP Help?

CRH7386

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, I wanted to post this and see what people had to say. I'm debating on whether to get a PSP or a DS. Now, a few things to keep in mind, I have a PS3 and an SLI PC so I get a lot of games for those so I'm looking for something that has fun games and is portable, but also games other than what comes out on PS3 and PC. God of War and Socom for the PSP would probably be two games that I would get for PSP but I've always loved Mario games and I even get some joy out of Pokemon, haha. I don't care so much about playing movies or music on them. I don't need to start another movie collection and my ipod is what I use for music. So basically, it would be just for gaming. Also, I like pretty much every type of game. I don't really travel a lot so it's just basically for fun and to have if I'm at school and bored or something like that. I guess I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the road and I don't know which way to go. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks fellow CAGs! :D

And I posted this in the PSP board too so I get a variety of answers since I'm sure a lot of DS fans would be on this board.

IMO I got a bit more enjoyment out of my PSP then my DS. Only reason was because I had homebrewed it, and it had failed during the homebrew. The battery basically broke and could not keep my PSP on. I enjoyed it when it did work, but honestly you may want to go with the DS if you're not going for Movies and Music.

The DS has touch capabilities so you basically get a lot more interactivity right there, which is a plus imo. The DS has a better selection of games (imo), and if you like Mario and stuff this is your handheld console. What makes or breaks a console is the first games you get for it, this is true as it makes you wonder if all the other games will be like it. My first game for the DS was Pokemon Pearl, and it was fun, so I enjoyed it. I believe the DS may be a better choice for you, as the games seem to be cheaper then the PSPs game selection, the console is greatly cheaper, and it comes in a variety of awesome colors. The battery lasts longer, and if you're looking for something that is for fun, then I reccomend this.

I will now say something negative about the PSP, the PSP's battery is craptastic. Only gives you a few hours of gameplay on it, which can really break the console. You are close to beating a mission or doing something really hard then it dies. You're like wtf? It was the battery. I also feel that the PSP has a clunkier feel to it, it's weird looking and just feels kind of ehh. The analog stick is terrible imo.

I feel that the DS may be a lot better for you in general. If you're looking for a handheld console that can game, this is for you. If you're looking for a multimedia system with a bad battery and clunky feel then the PSP is for you. Nintendo has and always will be a great company. This generation they may have felt like they abandoned the true gamers, I don't believe this is the case, as they have given us some pretty good titles. I believe Nintendo is doing the right thing and getting more people to enjoy their products, and I am sticking with them to the end.

I will reccomend you the following games, as you're starters if you do decide to buy the DS console by itself.

New Super Mario Bros
Pokemon Diamond
Nintendogs (I wanted this game so bad, never played it.)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass(never played really)
Animal Crossing: Wild World

I don't really know what you're into, but I can give a quick summary of each game which I believe may be true.

New Super Mario Bros.- A game which has updated the graphics from the original Super Mario Bros., but has left the fun and awesome gameplay alive. Indeed worth picking up, there is local multiplayer which I found enjoyable, if you know someone with a DS as well.

Pokemon Diamond- Another pokemon game, however this time with online multiplayer, and trading! This will make the game even more better, as it finally becomes competitive with others, and you can trade pokemon with people online. This game is really fun, as is most pokemon games.

Nintendogs- From what I've seen of this game, it is a game where you get to adopt a dog/s, and play with them, and enter them into competitions. It looks really good, as you can train to them to do tricks and stuff, as well as other things.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass- I haven't seen to much of this game, but what I can tell from it so far is, it's another Zelda game except with Puzzles, in which you use the DS touch screen to solve. Sounds pretty good, may pick it up later, if it ever drops down in price.

Animal Crossing: Wild World- Ahh another fun excellent game, if you've ever played the original Animal Crossing for the GC, then this game may be for you, if you've enjoyed the one for the GC. I personally couldn't find this game to entertaining, but that's probably because my brother kept stealing my DS to play this, lol.

And there you go, my final verdict is: Get a DS and get to playing some epic gamez!

DS (only because I don't have a PSP)

Most DS games are ones that you can pause simply by closing the DS and also saves the battery. The system is for "casual gaming." Something to play if you've got 5 minutes.

Recommendations
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents (music rhythm)
Picross (puzzle)
Trauma Center (surgery)
Ace Attorney (OBJECTION!!)

Both handhelds (DS lite and PSP slim 2000) get about the same use from me. It would be too difficult to choose just one. Note that I do not own a ps3, 360 or Wii.

The major difference in how I use them is that I carry around the DS more often. mainly because most of the DS games are short/sweet/jump right into it kind of games whereas PSP games are more time consuming. The ones I have anyway.

I haven't noticed a huge difference in battery power. Both consoles have a "sleep" mode. Close the case for the ds or flip the power button quickly for the psp. Holding the power button will turn off your PSP.

I would just choose the top 10 games that you would want for each system and make a decsion based on that.

recent PSP suggestions: crisis core, Wipeout, valkyrie profile, star ocean, Gitaroo Man lives, god of war, metal slug compilation, Lumines(this isn't that recent I guess)

recent DS suggestions: chrono trigger remake, FF4 remake, Metal Slug 7, Rune factory 2, Legend of kage 2, The Abyss

and I'll second aacdeln's comment and say that if you do get a DS you have to play Ouendan, Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright.

What I like about DS:
+tons of games (some quick and easy, some more intense)
+easier to carry without having a case

What I like about PSP:
+impressed with how nice the screen looks and the graphics

If I was absolutely forced to choose one I would probably choose the DS. Only because of the enormous amount of games available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the enormous amount of games available part. I wish they would make more Electroplankton games, seriously that game looks/ed freakin awesome! I really wish they would make more copies of that game.

I believe I may be wanting to get the new Mario DS bundle, which includes a special Red DS with Mario's M on it, and it includes the New Super Mario Bros. game. Really a good deal, because the game usually cost like 30 dollars or so seperately, while the handheld is 130. It costs like 134-136 dollars.

The DS is the PS1 of this gen's handhelds.

It might not be the best techinically, but it wins on sheer volumes of available games. Sure, lots are crap, but there are more good DS games available amongst the crap than the whole PSP library put together.

bread's done
Back