DS Tom and Jerry Tales -- anyone?

blandstalker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Long story: I did the GS/EB B2G1 with Yakuza, Phoenix Wright 2, and Tom and Jerry Tales since they were all 24.99. My intention was to exchange Tom and Jerry at a second store that had SNK Card Fighters. So, I tried out Tom and Jerry and it looked both interesting and irritating. No reviews, although there's one in French that is hilarous passed through Babelfish. Their review said anyone over 12 would not enjoy it. Decided to trade it in.

I get to the mall, and of course I left the T&J chip in my DS at home. I was about to curse myself when I decided to see if they had Card Fighters still (they did) and to trade Yakuza instead. I probably won't get to Yakuza before there's a price drop anyway.

Short story: So I still have Tom and Jerry Tales. I intend to spend a little time with it, but does anyone else have it? What do you think? Worth the effective $15 it cost after the B2G1 voodoo?

(cue cricket sounds)

Wow, so there are no reviews and no one has played it?

I was seriously tempted to start some rumors about how this is the best game ever and it's like OMG teh rarez! and see if I could get it to sell out everywhere.

Instead, I played it.

I'm not sure what to call it really. The game has four modes, each of which involve controlling Jerry the mouse running around the house, trying to evade Tom and create a big mess that he'll get blamed for.

The main game mode is somewhat like a racing game. You run around a course in the house, on rails, collecting good cheese and avoiding bad cheese and other objects. Every so often, there's a Shenmue-style event that will trigger a cartoon-like pratfall if you succeed.

This mode is okay, growing on me a little. You don't have control over where the camera goes, which makes judging where to be a matter of trial, error, and practice. But it is like a racing game, and part of a racing game is learning the track.

Then there's a time mode, which is more like a traditional racing game. With cheese. Flaming cheese speeds you up and icy cheese slows you down.

Then, there's the Break mode, which is where it gets fun. Here there's a different course through the room and you collect the cheese and use the stylus to chuck it at breakable objects. You get medals if you do enough damage. This is really clever and fun and a great use of the DS.

I haven't gone into the fourth mode yet -- the speed mode. I'm having too much fun with the Break mode.

My only concern is that the game will be too short. There are only six rooms.

Not worth the $30 retail or the $24 used that EB/GS wants for it, but I'm not unhappy with the effective $15 I paid thanks to B2G1.

[quote name='blandstalker'](cue cricket sounds)

Wow, so there are no reviews and no one has played it?

I was seriously tempted to start some rumors about how this is the best game ever and it's like OMG teh rarez! and see if I could get it to sell out everywhere.

Instead, I played it.

I'm not sure what to call it really. The game has four modes, each of which involve controlling Jerry the mouse running around the house, trying to evade Tom and create a big mess that he'll get blamed for.

The main game mode is somewhat like a racing game. You run around a course in the house, on rails, collecting good cheese and avoiding bad cheese and other objects. Every so often, there's a Shenmue-style event that will trigger a cartoon-like pratfall if you succeed.

This mode is okay, growing on me a little. You don't have control over where the camera goes, which makes judging where to be a matter of trial, error, and practice. But it is like a racing game, and part of a racing game is learning the track.

Then there's a time mode, which is more like a traditional racing game. With cheese. Flaming cheese speeds you up and icy cheese slows you down.

Then, there's the Break mode, which is where it gets fun. Here there's a different course through the room and you collect the cheese and use the stylus to chuck it at breakable objects. You get medals if you do enough damage. This is really clever and fun and a great use of the DS.

I haven't gone into the fourth mode yet -- the speed mode. I'm having too much fun with the Break mode.

My only concern is that the game will be too short. There are only six rooms.

Not worth the $30 retail or the $24 used that EB/GS wants for it, but I'm not unhappy with the effective $15 I paid thanks to B2G1.[/quote]

Wow, for some reason the game doesn't sound half bad. Like you said, not worth retail or even used price, but if I can find it for maybe $10 I might check this out. I've bought worse games for more, so why not?

[quote name='yukine']The only useful information I got from this thread... is that you can return a game from a B2G1? :shock:[/quote]

All used games, you can return for any reason within 7 days. "I don't like it" is perhaps the easiest explanation. But note that I did an exchange for a game that was exactly the same price.

Of course, the exchange was processed as a return and generated a new receipt...

bread's done
Back