DSI Incompatibility Issues with DS games!?

mrmagoo1974

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (100%)
I searched a few DSI threads on CAG and didnt see this mentioned so if its a repeated topic I appologize.

Are any other DSI owners having problems playing some DS games on the DSI. Most all my games work flawlessly, except for one..TETRIS DS. I keep getting this :

"An Error has occurred. Press and hold the power button to turn the system off. Please see the nintendo DSI operations manual for help troubleshooting."

I did a little searching online and it seems other owners of Tetris DS cannot play it on DSI either.....Come on nintendo! Can anyone shed any light on this? Thank you.

[quote name='UncleBob']Question - where did you purchase your copy of Tetris DS from?[/QUOTE]

Used on ebay. But before you say what i know you are thinking.....the game works PERFECTLY on my 1st gen DS.

[quote name='UncleBob']http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_ds_lobby/b7594/178943501/p1/?5

I'm wondering if Nintendo added something to the DSi that prevents it from playing bootleg games.[/QUOTE]

Unclebob, that REALLY sucks. Come to think of it, I am pretty sure i got the game from HONG KONG on ebay, not that it makes it a bootleg but it would'nt surprise me either.....This royally sucks....thanks for the info. I wonder if its a bootleg problem with these people too:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090405181953AA2UFqX

Is there any way to tell if a copy of a DS game you have is a bootleg? Like with the GBA games you could generally tell due to differences in the cartridge shape, color, etc. I have Tetris DS and will see if mine works. I haven't tried it on my DSi yet. I can't remember where I got it, but it was used, however it is a complete copy, which probably improves my odds of having a real one.

I think the bootleg carts are missing the Nintendo bevel and cart serial number that are behind the cart.

C'mon man, Rule #1 - Don't buy video games on eBay from Hong Kong, or probably China in general.

And honestly, if you own any legitimate DS carts a bootleg should be pretty obvious.

I don't think that the DSi is different enough from the DS and DS Lite to have problems reading legit games, but you never know...

[quote name='SpazX']C'mon man, Rule #1 - Don't buy video games on eBay from Hong Kong, or probably China in general.

And honestly, if you own any legitimate DS carts a bootleg should be pretty obvious.

I don't think that the DSi is different enough from the DS and DS Lite to have problems reading legit games, but you never know...[/QUOTE]

Lesson learned.... and just for the record, i own ALL legitimate ds carts (well quite possibly not tetris :)) but the point is, that was the ONLY one I ever bought from hong kong on ebay....Like I said....Lesson learned

I'm 100% sure any games from Hong Kong are copies (especially GBA/DS). The dead give away is when they are selling them 70% lower than legitimate sellers in the US.

That's interesting that it's not playing copied games though (good to know!). I think I'll use my DSi in the future to test games at Gamestop and elsewhere to make sure they're genuine. Thanks for the tip OP. Sorry for your situation, but some good may come of it.

[quote name='goomba478']That's interesting that it's not playing copied games though (good to know!). I think I'll use my DSi in the future to test games at Gamestop and elsewhere to make sure they're genuine. Thanks for the tip OP. Sorry for your situation, but some good may come of it.[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help ;)

[quote name='pete5883']No one is selling legitimate games from Hong Kong.[/QUOTE]

You can get many PS3 and Xbox 360 so I wont say all.

[quote name='62t']You can get many PS3 and Xbox 360 so I wont say all.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think I had to say "cartridge games" for people to get my meaning.

if you bought it on ebay it is most likely a pirated version...especially if it shipped from hong kong. Check the Tetris cartridge for an imprinted number on it. Usually 2 numbers, all gba and ds official carts have this. The people that pirate usually don't take the time to do the imprint. I am getting a copy of tetris today and will test it out.

If you are buying used from a trade store (GS) you might get one of these copies. We used to get pirated copies of GBA games when I worked there. They are pretty easy to find.

I recommend never buying a GBA or DS game from ebay, unless it ships from the US and is sealed.

I see topics all over for Tetris not working, however people are been reporting other games. I think Tetris DS is a popular target because few were made and it was discontinued early, and it is an amazing game so people had to go else where to get it.

Went out to pick up a Tetris DS off of a craigslister and I saw immediately that it was a fake, I opened it up and tried it out just in case. The tetris logo came up in the DSi menu, however it came up with an error when I tried to launch it :( so I didn't buy it :(

[quote name='MotzCTG']I think Tetris DS is a popular target because few were made and it was discontinued early, and it is an amazing game so people had to go else where to get it.[/quote]

It is also a target since its a Nintendo Published game. If you look on eBay and look at the bulk of the games that are getting bootlegged, many of them are Nintendo Published games such as Mario games, and a lot of rare games like you said, such as Luminous Arc and so on. eBay is dangerous if you dont know how to shop for DS games there @_@

Squarehard,
Agreed. However me saying that few were made is apparently way off. It sold 2 million copies according to IGN and Wikipedia.

I just won Tetris/megaman zx/lego starwars 2 for the DS off ebay($45 shipped!), however they are very much official. The easiest way to do this is look at the instructions, if they have the little "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" booklet and the registration card they are pretty much official. Also the location of the seller, and also just look at what the user is selling/sold. If they sold 50 copies of Tetris DS that might be a pretty good indication that they aren't legit.

I basically don't trust anyone anymore with this new problem coming to light. I usually just buy new from BB or GS. I will have to bring my DSi with me if I go to GS and want a used game.

[quote name='MotzCTG']Squarehard,
Agreed. However me saying that few were made is apparently way off. It sold 2 million copies according to IGN and Wikipedia.

I just won Tetris/megaman zx/lego starwars 2 for the DS off ebay($45 shipped!), however they are very much official. The easiest way to do this is look at the instructions, if they have the little "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" booklet and the registration card they are pretty much official. Also the location of the seller, and also just look at what the user is selling/sold. If they sold 50 copies of Tetris DS that might be a pretty good indication that they aren't legit.

I basically don't trust anyone anymore with this new problem coming to light. I usually just buy new from BB or GS. I will have to bring my DSi with me if I go to GS and want a used game.[/quote]

Generally if you do shop from eBay just watch where and who you are buying from. If it does display a picture too, make sure that its not the clear case that it comes in, because they never come in the clear case in North America or Canada(normally).

Heres a couple of helpful links as well to give you general ideas of what to look for as far as bootleg ds games,

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/feature.asp?c=2191

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLy6LORIww

The first one is good for the cartridge and the youtube video is better to check out the case and manuals and etc. Both are helpful. The youtube one is pretty good though, especially when hes talking about the manual, lol.

A little update here, I finally got a Tetris DS off of Ebay. It was very much official, it has all of the documentation ( Nitendo wifi, registration code, and health manual) with it which was a pretty good indication. Worked just fine on my DSi.

For whomever is going to check out the E-bay link, perhaps this maybe the beers speaking but the one on the left seems to be a bit brighter, okay could be the lighting but also the factor that those two do not match up as well as they should, with the fonts, the one on the right seems to be very much more bolder, and the first part of "ELE" just seems a tiny bit different.... ugh back to the beers! Happy 4th of July weekend people

bread's done
Back