DSI or DSI XL?

hotstud19us

CAGiversary!
Feedback
225 (100%)
I currently have a ds lite which is starting to get some problems with the touch screen. I don't really want to spend money on fixing it. I know the 3ds or whatever it is gonna be called is probably gonna come out next year. But I have a few games on ds I want to finish playing and I was looking at getting a dsi or dsi xl. Especially with the deals they have on walmart.com for them.

Both deals at walmart.com are $189 for either system. The dsi comes with 2 games and an accessory pack. The dsi xl only comes with 1 game.

Is the xl much better with the bigger screens? I mostly play my ds at home so the size isn't a problem. What do people think of the xl? Is it worth it?

I forgot to mention I have a friend who works at walmart and will buy it for me to get an extra 10% off. And I didn't know they said that the 3ds will support ds games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a DSi(got it after my lite broke) and later upgraded to the DSiXL. The DSi battery lasts about 4 hours less (same brightness setting) than the lite. the XL battery lasts about as long as the lite. The prefer the XL to the DSi. My lite got a crack in the hinge(I did not drop it), the spring that Nintendo used in the hinge was to stiff for the plastic, it turns out it is very common for lite which is why I did not buy another one. The xl's tend to have more issues than the dsi's, when I got my xl it would not turn off so I exchanged it for another one and that one worked fine, but I heard that if you take out the battery it will start working fine after that. I also heard that some XL's back light bleeds. I do like my XL though. I plan to trade in my xl for the 3DS, only because I heard that the 3D can be turned off and that it is backwards compatible with ds games, if not I will wait about 2 or 3 years before getting it. Hope this helps sorry for ranting.

If you want portability, get a DSi - if you don't take it too many places, get an XL. I just got my new XL on Monday and it's a thing of beauty. You won't be disappointed (as long as you get a bronze). If you don't shop retail, get a brand new one off eBay - they sell for $150 in the top-end...

I was on the fence as well, and eventually bought a Bronze XL.

Most of my playtime is at home (usually in a recliner or out in the backyard,) or in my wife's office while waiting for her to finish up something. As a result super portability isn't all that important.

Recently I took the XL along for a trip to Ireland. I honestly believe the extra battery power elevated my 'like' of the device to 'love,' as due to the volcano it took me two and a half days to get to Ireland. The XL kept me sane, as I hate travelling, hate being in crowds, and the trip forced me to do much more of both than anticipated.

Thank you, XL for keeping me from flipping out while I had to sit in an airport for eight hours...

The Bronze looks far better in person than it does in Amazon photos. I was surprised by the size, but quickly found it more comfortable to hold than the DS it was replacing. Keep in mind that I have large hands that have been regularly abused with automobile maintenance, yard work, burns, scrapes, etc. The original DS always seemed too small for my hands, and the larger hit boxes due to the larger touch screen makes it easier for my gnarled hands to play various games effectively. Meteos, for example, is a more fun experience on the XL for me.

The increased screen size is a joy for me. I can imagine this being even more important for someone with 'normal' or worse vision. Personally I have 20 / 10 (Yes. Better than 'normal.') vision so I cannot directly comment on that experience.

bread's done
Back