DSpeak revealed!

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Dspeak was revealed today as voice-over IP using the DS's microphone and wi-fi.

[quote name='"IGN"']Nintendo's booth has two systems at remote locations for the DSpeak demo. Both systems are connected to each other using the WiFi internet capabilities of the Nintendo DS system The demo is incredibly simple: using a connected headphone/microphone piece, you speak into the microphone and listen with the earpiece. You essentially hold conversations using the Nintendo DS over the internet.

The demo features a 3D Nintendo character on the upper screen, with a wavelength meter displayed on the lower screen. On my screen was Mario, on the other guy, Wario. Mario moved his mouth to the sound coming through on the other guy's end, though the model couldn't differentiate standard voice and surrounding noise...so Mario kept moving his mouth since there was ambient noise in the Nintendo booth. The delay between the two systems was extremely minimal, similar to what you'd get when two people on cellphones are trying to converse with each other. I could see the guy speak to me, and the delay was only a couple of milliseconds due to the compression and data transmission. Audio quality was perfectly fine, as good as a mobile phone.

Whether or not this application will ever come to light is still up in the air...right now it's just a concept demo. And, at the very least, it worked.[/quote]

So what does everyone think? It sounds pretty interesting. Save some cell phone minutes while you are in a hotspot by whipping out a ds and microphone. Interesting feature to say the least.

Is there any more information on this? Very few people realy own a DS compared to the population at large so it is kind of hard to see a practical application for this tool. Although I do admit it seems rather nifty.

this is pretty cool, but it wont be replacing my cell phone anytime soon, however itd be cool to integrate this into the DS wifi games, maybe animal crossing for instance

A lot of cell phone models are in the works to do the same thing. Go 'off network' when a WiFI connection is available. The cell phone business is increasingly driven by things other than voice and offloading traffic on their towers is something they like.

bread's done
Back