Dumb question about SLI video cards

Mex25

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I just bought an SLI motherboard and geforce 7800gt CO video card. Now my question is to run two video cards in SLI mode do they have to be the same exact cards or can I run say my geforce 7800gt CO with a BFG 7800gtx OC card together in SLI mode?

You can use different manufacturer brand cards, but they have to be the same - a 7800GT with a 7800GT, but not with a 7800GTX

[quote name='pinatamonkey']You can use different manufacturer brand cards, but they have to be the same - a 7800GT with a 7800GT, but not with a 7800GTX[/QUOTE]
I'm reasonably sure it has to be the exact same card, brand and all.

[quote name='pinatamonkey']You can use different manufacturer brand cards, but they have to be the same - a 7800GT with a 7800GT, but not with a 7800GTX[/QUOTE]Uh...no. Bioses have to match unless your cardmaker and/or mobo vendor has Nvidias new SLI driver support.(which has proven to be spotty at best and is in limited circulation currently)
Yes it is possible but its not 100% guaranteed due to varying manufacturers

And no, two totally different types (GTX and GT) cannot run together. Thats why crossfire has people all hot because you don't have to go crazy trying to team cards together.

Just repeating what's on the website...
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_rel80.html

New Flexibility:
Mix and Match Graphics Cards from Different Manufacturers

Example: You can use a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer ABC with a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer XYZ.
Note: You must still use two graphics cards that have the same GPU. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT must be matched with another GeForce 7800 GT (not with a GeForce 7800 GTX or a GeForce 6800 Ultra). Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Input/Output Ports
Example: You can use a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & TV-out with a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & VIVO.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Clock Speeds
Example: You can use a higher clocked GeForce 6600 GT 550/525 with a standard clock GeForce 6600 GT 500/500.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Memory Sizes
Example: Using Coolbits, you can use a 128MB GeForce 6800 GT with a 256MB GeForce 6800 GT.

Note: NVIDIA recommends that SLI customers, whenever possible, purchase graphics cards with matching memory sizes. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits (value set to 18), the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes.

[quote name='pinatamonkey']Just repeating what's on the website...
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_rel80.html

New Flexibility:
Mix and Match Graphics Cards from Different Manufacturers

Example: You can use a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer ABC with a GeForce 7800 GTX from manufacturer XYZ.
Note: You must still use two graphics cards that have the same GPU. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT must be matched with another GeForce 7800 GT (not with a GeForce 7800 GTX or a GeForce 6800 Ultra). Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Input/Output Ports
Example: You can use a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & TV-out with a GeForce 6800 GT with Dual DVI & VIVO.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Clock Speeds
Example: You can use a higher clocked GeForce 6600 GT 550/525 with a standard clock GeForce 6600 GT 500/500.

Mix and Match Graphics Cards with Different Memory Sizes
Example: Using Coolbits, you can use a 128MB GeForce 6800 GT with a 256MB GeForce 6800 GT.

Note: NVIDIA recommends that SLI customers, whenever possible, purchase graphics cards with matching memory sizes. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits (value set to 18), the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes.[/QUOTE]

Again, that forceware SUCKS. They make claims that dont hold true in real life. I wouldn't count on those drivers to make the two cards work. At the very least Id try to get two matching core cards (i.e. two GTs, two GTX, etc) because the drivers have shown more success with that. Go to anandtech and read in the forums about the new drivers before jumping.

yeah i was just reading around hardforum and seen a thread where you have to have the exact same model video card, i guess the newest forceware drivers are a little linient when it comes to two different brand manufactured cards. Well looks like i'm goin to hold off then on buying a 7800gtx. Thanks for the info people.

bread's done
Back