Dungeon Siege 3 -- Demo now available on XBL (but not for Europe!)

Rhett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
It's pretty good IMHO. A hefty 1.21gb of A-RPGness.

You get a taste of pretty much everything, minus two characters. You can play either Lucas (Basically a "Warrior") or Anjali (Archon / essentially a "fire-focused battle mage"), and also play coop! I didn't actually try the coop, but it looks like you can have at least two people playing.

Demo's roughly 45 minutes long, at least on the first play through. Tons of loot, and a good feeling for leveling up/skills/talents/abilities/etc.

Graphics can be a little muddy, but it runs well with little to no hiccups. The only real visual difference that you'll notice are weapon changes, but everything except helmets do change the look of your character.

It being an Obsidian game, I was happy to experience zero noticeable bugs. Only ran into an exploitable AI issue with some or most bosses.

Considering the only decent ARPG/Hack n Slash games that we have on the 360 are: Sacred 2, Too Human, Torchlight (though lack of MP really drags it down), Daggerdale (though muddled with issues), and Two Worlds 2 (never played it), I'm definitely looking forward to DS3.

Here's a repost of my initial impression:

Based on the demo the graphics are washed out and have a low polygon count, dreamcast-like. Combat is slow. This isn't even as good as torchlight if you are doing a singleplayer. I don't know how fun multi will be with this, but i read that the camera is shared.

And I did experience some random slowdown that was not based on what was occurring on screen.

$60 Arcade title this is.

Maybe, dunno how long the game is...

I got sick of Torchlight real quick, both with and without mods (on PC, then on 360 when it came out). It gets extremely tedious. (in terms of Arcade selections)

DS3 kinda gives me a Champions of Norrath kind of feeling. Though, due to the drought of decent loot-grinding games on consoles, it's probably an automatic buy for me anyway.

I'm happy they gave us such a fairly long demo, with multiplayer. Usually you get 5 minute excursions that are barely even a taste.

Not usually into these sort of RPGs but there is enough of what I am into to justify a purchase. I'll try out co-op after the SP then decide if I should wait for a decent price drop and reviews before I bite. I just wish you could create your own character from scratch.

I love a good dungeon game and really love co op games i can play with my family. However the little i did play, i wasn't too impressed. It looks like a glorified xbla game. I'll play it more tonight before really deciding. I'm taking my family to disney world in July so i have had to cut back; so if i buy a game, it's gotta be worth it right now

the demo had it's moments, but some games just feel better on a PC...this is probably one of those titles. definitely not going to drop $59.99 on this, I think I would probably enjoy DA2 more. DS3's character acting is pretty bad compared to other titles out there, the characters sound like their reading from a script. As much as I love loot, I think you'll end up spending more time than you should in the equip interface sorting through lewts and the delay inbetween screens.

I was disappointed. It didn't feel anything like a Dungeon Siege game. I'll see how the PC demo feels. Though I'll probably end up buying it on 360 or PC anyways as decent co-op RPG/Adventure games are hard to come by.

I was disappointed as well. I was looking forward to playing this to. Im not all about graphics but wow, the game looks pretty bad. Like a first year PS2 game. The combat was so so. If this was an XBLA game then I wouldn't really care but at $60 its not worth it to me. The only reason imo to pick this up instead of Torchlight(which is spectacular and only $15) is if your just itching to play this type of game with co op.

what a great demo... but it almost leaves me thinking "why buy the full game?". at the same time though, I'll certainly be buying the full game if i can talk my brother into buying a copy too, though I'll wait for the inevitable price drop. it's gonna be an awesome co-op dungeon crawler sort of game, i've been waiting for something like this.

Got my copy preordered (with GS credit). I am happy to see a nice loot game come along that isn't all point and click. One problem I had with Torchlight on PC was it was all point and click which got boring.

Can't wait for the game because Dragon Age II was a huge letdown for me and this seems really fun.

I don't see where the hate is coming from for the graphics. I mean, yeah, it's not something super great, but PS2? Get outta here.

I played as Lucas in the demo. Pretty fun hack'n'slash with him. Going to try it out with the Archon chick in a few. I may or may not buy this on launch. Depends if I am done with Alice or not.

Finally tried this demo out...Meh...Easy to pass on this.

Gotta agree that this feels like a XBLA game. I was expecting something great, and it's really just passable. The graphics are def subpar, the combat was just ok, nothing special. I'll stick with Torchlight and get this someday when it hits $10 used.

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't see where the hate is coming from for the graphics. I mean, yeah, it's not something super great, but PS2? Get outta here.[/QUOTE]

Any time someone says "lolz its ps2 grafix," it's safe to disregard everything they have to say after that.

It's a hack-and-slash RPG. It takes a hit in graphics in exchange for being longer than seven hours.

I played the demo it was OK. The enemies were a bit uh... repetitious, I was expecting something besides loads of bandits but w/e. I can't say I didn't enjoy it but I can't say I'd want to spend full price on it. Maybe $20ish?

Seemed better then Sacred 2, but not as good as Torchlight (though this one obviously has the advantage story and character wise).

[quote name='Survivalism']It's a hack-and-slash RPG. It takes a hit in graphics in exchange for being longer than seven hours.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for PS2? That had better graphics than Dungeon Siege 3. Saying it takes a hit for being longer than 7 hours is one of the most retarded comments I've ever heard. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 looked way better than this too.

Anyway, I played this the other day with my friend, we quit after 5 minutes because it was so bad. It's a shame because I was really big into the first Dungeon Siege and only mildly into the second. Where are the demons in the demo? I don't want to fight stupid bandits in a mansion. So happy I played this since I was planning on buying it. This demo saved me $60, thanks!

LOL Im being a bit harsh saying it looks like a first year PS2 game. Honestly I wouldnt care how bad the graphics are if the gameplay was great. But to me its a sub par game and on top of all that it doesn't look good.

Why can't Snowblind just improve Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance a bit and deepen the story and rinse and repeat? Any other studio could copy that formula. They did those console Champions of Norrath games which were great, although both sequels they did (BG:DA II and CoN II) were a bit botched.

I was underwhelmed by the demo. Was looking forward to this too. I felt like busting out Sacred instead, it's SO similar and probably just as good.

What I hated the most in the demo was the female (archon) character's voice acting. Her voice is hideous. The rest of the voice acting sounded pretty ok, too.

Also, why can't we raise and lower the camera, instead of just two zoom levels and rotation?

Too bad, I really wanted to like this. With such good games competing for my time, it's hard to bother with this.

This game just doesn't have the polish to come out now as a $60 game. I will admit that it probably fills in a niche for people until Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. With that in mind the game doesn't have any legs and will just plummet in price.

Game comes out today, anyone else buying? I have my preorder with GS credit so I already have mine paid off and ready to pick up.

I am excited for this game since it's a non point and click loot based game. Any click movement based loot games just don't do it for me, I guess I just prefer keyboard movement for all games that are not RTS games.

Dungeon Siege hasn't been good since the first... I don't like that the full customization from the first is gone in this one. The classes in DS3 are very cookie cutter and don't feel all that special...

bread's done
Back