Dust 514 is going to be Free2Play on PS3

I don't have high hopes for it lasting longer then 2 years tops unless people are willing to do buy weapons or perks. I'll try it since I like the idea of EVE and linking EvE to a FPS game. I just can't get into EvE since of its steep learning curve and the monthly fee.

DUST 514 supports mouse and keyboard. Tell your PC friends so we can gang up on you silly people who play FPSs with a controller.

[quote name='Nohbdy']DUST 514 supports mouse and keyboard. Tell your PC friends so we can gang up on you silly people who play FPSs with a controller.[/QUOTE]

ooooh. I hope my CM Storm Sentinel works with it.

"Thanks to how Sony has set up the PlayStation Network – and the innovations they have been making on it together with us – Sony’s console platform is the only one able to support this kind of game as a service and business model."

Well I own a PS3 and I still think this is nothing more than a bunch of PR BS.

[quote name='cancerman1120']"Thanks to how Sony has set up the PlayStation Network – and the innovations they have been making on it together with us – Sony’s console platform is the only one able to support this kind of game as a service and business model."

Well I own a PS3 and I still think this is nothing more than a bunch of PR BS.[/QUOTE]

Well, in terms of consoles he's pretty much right. None of the other systems really have the infrastructure to support the free to play model. Hi-rez Studios mentioned that as a problem as well when they were trying to bring Tribes Ascend to consoles.

[quote name='Edge']Well, in terms of consoles he's pretty much right. None of the other systems really have the infrastructure to support the free to play model. Hi-rez Studios mentioned that as a problem as well when they were trying to bring Tribes Ascend to consoles.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this? I really don't understand... It just seems like some PR BS to me also.

[quote name='Edge']Well, in terms of consoles he's pretty much right. None of the other systems really have the infrastructure to support the free to play model. Hi-rez Studios mentioned that as a problem as well when they were trying to bring Tribes Ascend to consoles.[/QUOTE]

No, he's right when he mentions PR BS. Microsoft already mentioned going the free to play route with Dungeon Fighter Online, etc.

It's PR, what do you expect them to say?

Actually havent heard of this game before now, but does look sweet.
dust514.jpg

[quote name='infamy']No, he's right when he mentions PR BS. Microsoft already mentioned going the free to play route with Dungeon Fighter Online, etc.

It's PR, what do you expect them to say?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's PR BS. I think Microsoft wants to keep Xbox online closed. Like how Portal 2 can be crossed play between PS3 and Steam because PS Network can connect to Steam.

Dust 514 while not cross playable, there is a direct connection to the Eve Online servers. The actions in Dust 514 affects Eve Online and vice versa, and in real time I believe. IE An Eve Online corporation (guild) can orbital drop vehicles for its mercenaries.

[quote name='infamy']No, he's right when he mentions PR BS. Microsoft already mentioned going the free to play route with Dungeon Fighter Online, etc.

It's PR, what do you expect them to say?[/QUOTE]

They've been "working" on getting a free to play model on Xbox Live, but so far it hasn't happened. Even if they do though, there's also the issue of Dust 514 connecting to the Eve Online server, which isn't really allowed on Xbox Live either. Getting game updates out was also supposed to be pretty problematic. It seems like they only switched it to PSN "exclusive" because it was the only option for them on consoles.

Just because it's PR doesn't mean it's wrong.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Looks cool and all, but i get the feeling it'll cost a ton to play

Might play this. Kinda bummed though- they announced it for the Vita too, bit it turns out it's not the actual game, it's just a companion app (they should've clarified before announcing it). Why they'd put the companion app on a game system and not on smartphone platforms really kind of puzzles me.

Expecting a PS3 MMO to work on Vita is a little unrealistic... It's hard enough pulling off MMOs on a console period.

Yeah Edge, i think i was accidentally referring to Second Life XD.

Either way, the premise is pretty cool. Not sure how well this game will work though, will try it either way

[quote name='papped']Expecting a PS3 MMO to work on Vita is a little unrealistic... It's hard enough pulling off MMOs on a console period.[/QUOTE]

Well, they're the ones who announced it only to later reveal that it's not actually even a game. Plus, games like Order and Chaos on smartphones and Facebook show that it really isn't that hard to get an mmo to work on a "lesser" platform. You just have to make an effort.

[quote name='Tygamr']Well, they're the ones who announced it only to later reveal that it's not actually even a game. Plus, games like Order and Chaos on smartphones and Facebook show that it really isn't that hard to get an mmo to work on a "lesser" platform. You just have to make an effort.[/QUOTE]

Those games are made for either browser play or mobile platforms to begin with. It's not the fact that it simply has online play that is the problem... It's like expecting Mass Effect 3 which is PC/PS3/Xbox developed to run on a portable system with 30+ people on screen....

What if they use 10-20gb of textures and data install on a console? Gameloft games, etc are nothing like that....

If it's anything like the other free to play shooters out there, it won't be gimped at all. You can typically do everything you can in the main game in them, you just can't buy weapons/items permanently very often (you rent them).

We'll see.

I play EVE (mainly to get a feel for Dust before it comes out), and let me tell you, if it is how I think it is, the only thing buying credits will do for you is either end up A: Saving you time (possibly heaps of it), and B: making you look cooler.

CCP have said themselves, in that very article even, that this is NOT going to be a "pay to win" game.

Honestly, if you work hard in EVE, you can make EVE virtually free to play as well. If you can manage to make roughly 500 million ISK (in game currency) you can buy a Pilots License Extention (PLEX) off another player and that will extend your game time one month. however, the only other way to get a PLEX is to buy it with $20 (USD). (conversely, the monthly fee is only $15, so the only real reason to buy a PLEX with money is to get in-game currency from selling it, lol)

At any rate, I'm sure CCP will get their money's worth in microtransactions alone. I personally intend on spending $20 up front anyway, as I'm sure it is going to save me A LOT of time.

It all boils down to doing it the easy way, but paying for it with your real money, or doing it the "hard" way, and paying for it with your time. Since most people say time = money, it makes more sense IMO to just spend the money :p

[quote name='PSNOrin']I play EVE (mainly to get a feel for Dust before it comes out), and let me tell you, if it is how I think it is, the only thing buying credits will do for you is either end up A: Saving you time (possibly heaps of it), and B: making you look cooler.

CCP have said themselves, in that very article even, that this is NOT going to be a "pay to win" game.

Honestly, if you work hard in EVE, you can make EVE virtually free to play as well. If you can manage to make roughly 500 million ISK (in game currency) you can buy a Pilots License Extention (PLEX) off another player and that will extend your game time one month. however, the only other way to get a PLEX is to buy it with $20 (USD). (conversely, the monthly fee is only $15, so the only real reason to buy a PLEX with money is to get in-game currency from selling it, lol)

At any rate, I'm sure CCP will get their money's worth in microtransactions alone. I personally intend on spending $20 up front anyway, as I'm sure it is going to save me A LOT of time.

It all boils down to doing it the easy way, but paying for it with your real money, or doing it the "hard" way, and paying for it with your time. Since most people say time = money, it makes more sense IMO to just spend the money :p[/QUOTE]

That's exactly like the new tribes game has been. It takes forever to upgrade perks unless your really good, But that game is as fast placed as quake. It's a really quick twitch shooter. I'm hoping Dust 514 doesn't play that way and it's not looking like that thank god. But as long as it's not "pay to win" then it's fine. It's also good if you can unlock everything you can pay for but it taking a longer time then those who pay.

then it's completely fair, as long as it's not like they get ortibal strikes to use on noobs or something. but CPC seems alright about making balenced games. Though there's in game piracy/hijacking [problems with EvE I heard). Like pirates blowing up ships unless you pay ransom fees.

I will definitely give this game a try since its free but I don't think its my kind of game since I don't care about the eve universe and this game heavily ties into it. If this game were to cost $60, I would had probably skipped it since I don't think CCP has ever made an FPS before...

If it's like League of Legends where paying money only buys you cosmetic skins or things faster, then I am all for it. I like these F2P games where you don't pay to win, you pay to unlock stuff faster or cosmetic only items and that's it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If it's like League of Legends where paying money only buys you cosmetic skins or things faster, then I am all for it. I like these F2P games where you don't pay to win, you pay to unlock stuff faster or cosmetic only items and that's it.[/QUOTE]

After how bad CCP got reamed when they were talking about adding game changing items for microtransactions to EVE, I'm sure they're going to go down Riot's path for DUST.

For those who don't play EVE, riots on the server broke out and CCP flew in the Council of Stellar Management, basically a player-elected and run advisory board, to their HQ for emergency discussions.

They flew in people to hold discussions and negotiation. For a video game.

Note: EVE is fucking insane.

bread's done
Back