DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japakneez']
Disc 7 & 8
Disc 9 & 10 (This is the only one Big Lots is selling from the S1V2 set)
Disc 11 & 12
[/QUOTE]

They're also selling the Disc 11 & 12 in an individual case as well. I know, I bought it, then got it home and realized it wasn't the full 6 disc set of S1V2. Ugh. Totally overpriced @ $6, I'm returning it.

[quote name='spikyhunter3']BTW when do stores usually restock the dvds?[/QUOTE]

When the hoarders return them after realizing there's no money to be made on them because the market is flooded...

[quote name='dg7md']Found a rogue Flintstones S3, without any plastic or anything as reported before. Discs were mint and all was right, so for 3 bucks I got it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except mine was a Flintstones S2. I checked the discs before I purchased, and it all looked legit, so I was okay throwing $3 down for it.

Found various Flintstones and Pinky and the Brain, thought it was a lost, then I noticed a shopping cart full of dvds. Picked up Everwood, Animaniacs 1, and War at Home 1. Saw other various titles such as Superman, Tracy Takes On, OC, and a bunch of Scooby Doo. Will be posting in trade thread. Also gonna check out a Big Lots A bit further out. Hopefully I can find Drew Carry, Veronica Mars, and hopefully Smallville.

[quote name='BingoBrown']They're also selling the Disc 11 & 12 in an individual case as well. I know, I bought it, then got it home and realized it wasn't the full 6 disc set of S1V2. Ugh. Totally overpriced @ $6, I'm returning it.[/QUOTE]

Well I cant return my disc 9&10 i already opened it then realised it was the individual dvd....but it is cheaper as it would cost 18$+tax from BL and from amazon its 26$

[quote name='spikyhunter3']Well I cant return my disc 9&10 i already opened it then realised it was the individual dvd....but it is cheaper as it would cost 18$+tax from BL and from amazon its 26$[/QUOTE]

yah..if you can find discs 7,8,11, and 12.

:/

Managed To Get Flinestones 1-5, Joise And PussyCats, Top Cat, Whacky Racers...
They Had Tons Of All.. and a few War At Homes, Tracy Takes On, Verciona Mars, Oc...

Was Hoping For Blade.. Going To Hit Another Local Store Tomorrow...

[quote name='dg7md']Found a rogue Flintstones S3, without any plastic or anything as reported before. Discs were mint and all was right, so for 3 bucks I got it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ya, most of the FStones in my store was like this as well.. I checked em and all was good...
Not sure why they are open

[quote name='Vampyreonline']Ya, most of the FStones in my store was like this as well.. I checked em and all was good...
Not sure why they are open[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if maybe some stores got opened complete series sets with all 6 seasons inside. If thats the case..could be why.

They were opened at my Big Lots as well, no clue why but I wasnt picking them up. It did cause some box wear since my Big Lots put everything in a giant bin.

[quote name='Link927']They were opened at my Big Lots as well, no clue why but I wasnt picking them up. It did cause some box wear since my Big Lots put everything in a giant bin.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's like that at mine as well.. just a big ass bin with tons of stuff in it... kindda fun to dig through and see what you get though!

I was able to get all 3 of the 2 dvd sets Vol 1 was a hard find but Vol 2 and 3 are in abundance

[quote name='Japakneez']Correct. I noticed a few people in here looking for Biglots Thundercat DVDs. Just to clarify, Season 1 Volume 2 is actually a six disc box set that consists of the following....

Disc 7 & 8
Disc 9 & 10 (This is the only one Big Lots is selling from the S1V2 set)
Disc 11 & 12

I forgot which discs the S1V1 had...It didn't even matter to me. All the stuff that is being thrown on ebay for cheap may also be misrepresented so beware. Best to buy it retail.[/QUOTE]

I had an awesome haul yesterday at biglots in Lawton, Ok. I got Lois and Clark season 1-4, Flintstones 1-5, Oc 1,2. Tale From the Crypt 1-5. Found the NFL set for 10 dollars really nice. Didnt have any copies of Joey or Smallville.

[quote name='evilsuperman33']I had an awesome haul yesterday at biglots in Lawton, Ok. I got Lois and Clark season 1-4, Flintstones 1-5, Oc 1,2. Tale From the Crypt 1-5. Found the NFL set for 10 dollars really nice. Didnt have any copies of Joey or Smallville.[/QUOTE]

ARRRGH!!! I want that NFL set sooo bad.

If anyone finds it and wants to work a trade for a powerpuff set + something else, let me know. I'd give up PPG for the NFL set...

My BL had a truck come in Wednesday that had NO dvds at all on it... and they are not supposed to get their Friday truck...

Sucks. :(

[quote name='evilsuperman33']Didnt have any copies of Joey or Smallville.[/QUOTE]

Aww, that's a real shame, kid. Especially considering the fact that you PM'd me asking to buy Joey for you, then stopped responding to PMs with the impression of not having a way to pay for it, so I returned your copy back to my store...classic case of Karma, I suppose.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Just got next week's Big Lots ad in my e-mail box as they put it online Thursday. Shows $3 boxsets on sale starting Sunday. Image below is taken directly from the website.

biglotsdvdad.jpg

Looks to be the ones that have been reported to be $3 but wasn't Traci Takes On supposed to be $6? Otherwise this might explain why some stores haven't put any $3 titles out since they are holding them for the Sunday ad.

Also off topic but there's a $499 laptop in the ad. The model is Gateway M-1631u. The ad also has a strong emphasis on the free Windows 7 upgrade as well.[/QUOTE]

i bet a lot of people are going to be pissed come sunday when they go to big lots and nothing is there , since most stores have already put out their stock on thursday -saturday

Just checked my BL - which "didn't get any on the truck" on Wednesday, only to find a brand new group of $3 DVDs...

The case looked to include:

Tales From the Crypt S2,3
Lois and Clark S1,3
Popeye 1st set
Tracey Takes on S1
Joey S1

Wierd that there seems to be $6 sets and $3 sets mixed in these cases. Evidently, I was the forst to hit these this morning, since the lady that works every morning said "Did we get more in???"

I figure I have an hour before everyone cleans them out... So if anyone has a spare America's Game Set and needs some of these sets, let me know so I can pick them up to set up a trade.

[quote name='spikyhunter3']yeah but thats illegal the dvds are meant to be sold in the boxset and they arent labeled for individual sale...im gonna head back tomorow hopefully and talk with them...[/QUOTE]

It says right on the top of the box. For Example:

Thundercats Season 1 Part 2
Discs 9 & 10

UPDATE- NVMD it was already reported.

[quote name='Vampyreonline']Yep, it's like that at mine as well.. just a big ass bin with tons of stuff in it... kindda fun to dig through and see what you get though![/QUOTE]

not fun when you dig through and find nothing haha

That Popeye set is fantastic. Paid $30 for it last summer at Best Buy, and don't regret it, but seeing a stack of em for $3 at my local Big Lots was a shock! Did score Jonny Quest Season 1 for $3, which is the one I wanted the most to find, besides the Justice League S1 Blu-ray... still looking for that :)

[quote name='spikyhunter3']yeah but thats illegal the dvds are meant to be sold in the boxset and they arent labeled for individual sale...im gonna head back tomorow hopefully and talk with them...[/QUOTE]

The 2-disc sets that my BL sold had a silver and red felt (the material, not touched by an old lady) outer slipcase cover. Are other BLs just selling the DVDs without that?

31bEy2QHjlL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

As far as the legality of it, you have to remember we're dealing with Big Lots here, they get everyone else's junk. It's not a true retail store in the classic sense, which also explains why most stores are reluctant at best to price-match anything in a BL ad.

[quote name='Kerig']The 2-disc sets that my BL sold had a silver and red felt (the material, not touched by an old lady) outer slipcase cover. Are other BLs just selling the DVDs without that?

31bEy2QHjlL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

As far as the legality of it, you have to remember we're dealing with Big Lots here, they get everyone else's junk. It's not a true retail store in the classic sense, which also explains why most stores are reluctant at best to price-match anything in a BL ad.[/QUOTE]

my dvd is blue and red probably because its season 1 volume 2

[quote name='manthing']Did anyone else find a 30's Popeye set with a free comic book?

I have 1 set with a sticker indicating such, and 1 set w/o[/QUOTE]

Hmm, mine is w/o sticker. i'd have liked a free comic!

[quote name='manthing']Did anyone else find a 30's Popeye set with a free comic book?

I have 1 set with a sticker indicating such, and 1 set w/o[/QUOTE]

Mine came with, although I didn't even notice the sticker until I'd paid and walked out the door.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I'm wondering if maybe some stores got opened complete series sets with all 6 seasons inside. If thats the case..could be why.[/QUOTE]

That'd make some sense, but when I got my Flintstones sets the only ones I saw without plastic were Season Five. And for what it's worth, the complete series box Amazon sells doesn't have the same packaging. It is possible that there's another set out there with everything just bundled together, though.

The Amazon set is pretty, but I paid less than a fifth of their asking price for the six seasons. Thank you, Big Lots! :D

Wow, in one day, the dvd box set stock at my local Big Lots has shrunk by nearly 2/3rds. I'm pretty sure it was a hoarder, or possibly a group of hoarders, the dozen or so War at Homes are all gone, the dozen of Popeyes, only about 10 Flintstones out of about 40 are still around. The half dozen Animaniacs are all gone too, as well as the few Superman cartoons. The only things left are a few live action Superman, Lois and Clark, S2/S3 Flintstones, Tracy, etc. Sigh, I should have picked up S2 Animaniacs when I had a chance.

Well just went back to my local Big Lots again and still no $3 sets..aside from Tracy Takes On. I asked up front if they had any and they said they are in the back and to keep checking back to see if they have them on the floor. There is room for them, so I'm hoping they have them out tomorrow or Sunday.

I did pick up God, the Devil, and Bob for $3 though.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Mine came with, although I didn't even notice the sticker until I'd paid and walked out the door.
[/QUOTE]

I just opened mine to enjoy tonight and it contains a free comic where the leaflet would be. No sticker on package. Guess they all have them? Neato.

I just checked out my local Big Lots in Wood Dale, IL... pretty much just Dallas and a Joey there.

Anyway, would anyone be willing to ship a Babylon 5 Movies to me if they have it at a Big Lots near them? If so, just let me know, and we can work out a fair price.

[quote name='Link927']Wow, in one day, the dvd box set stock at my local Big Lots has shrunk by nearly 2/3rds. I'm pretty sure it was a hoarder, or possibly a group of hoarders, the dozen or so War at Homes are all gone, the dozen of Popeyes, only about 10 Flintstones out of about 40 are still around. The half dozen Animaniacs are all gone too, as well as the few Superman cartoons. The only things left are a few live action Superman, Lois and Clark, S2/S3 Flintstones, Tracy, etc. Sigh, I should have picked up S2 Animaniacs when I had a chance.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick POLL question... how commmon is the thunercats 6 dvd sets.. I dont know if it would be worth spending around 10 bucks in gas tomorrow hitting 3 big lots hoping to find them..

now one of them has the single discs only (im guessing they got the boxsets but ripped them open for some reason)

same with flintstones SEASON 6.... Those are the only 2 things im looking for since i blew 60 on 20 box sets already

(probally end up taking at least 4 of them back) Rest of them are birthday gifts to myself since my BD is weds : )

WOOO I just earned 22 cents on ebay bucks LOL what to spend my 22 cents on

[quote name='temp81830']I just checked out my local Big Lots in Wood Dale, IL... pretty much just Dallas and a Joey there.

Anyway, would anyone be willing to ship a Babylon 5 Movies to me if they have it at a Big Lots near them? If so, just let me know, and we can work out a fair price.[/QUOTE]

I thought about hitting wood dale...thanks for saving me the trip! Do they have any tales from the crypt, superman (any series), or wonder woman?

[quote name='slowdive21']I thought about hitting wood dale...thanks for saving me the trip! Do they have any tales from the crypt, superman (any series), or wonder woman?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember seeing any of them there. Granted I was looking for a larger-ish box, but I believe I singled out almost all of the box sets they had there, and there wasn't much.

It's really a pain to search the DVDs there as well :bomb:

Think some hoarder in town got to everything. Went to 6 stores, and the only store to have anything decent was the one that just put stuff out this morning. At least two stores got shipments today, so I'll try one more time tomorrow.

[quote name='temp81830']It's really a pain to search the DVDs there as well :bomb:[/QUOTE]

That to me is one of the biggest problems with Big Lots in general. They seem to with some product just throw it up wherever they feel like it. Granted I know the average employee at the store is making minimum wage (or barely above it) but geez shopping there can be a test of patience and will sometimes.

I went to my local BL a few hours ago and it was gutted. I noticed there was a whole section on the wall that was completely empty. I asked a BL employee if they restocked on DVDs, she said they did this morning. So it seems a hoarder came and bought them all out. Bummer.

Big Lots in Mesquite, TX was a complete gold mine. Had every single thing in the ad plus more. Just fresh put out earlier today, too.

OK I finally had some luck with the local big lots.....I picked up:

Samurai Jack (seasons 1-3) x 3
Animaniacs vol1 x2
Popeye v1 x1
And some other misc hanna barbera sets.

I am not reselling these and was wondering if anyone looking for Animaniacs v1 or Samurai Jack would like to trade for some items I'm looking for and cannot find....I'm primarily looking for Animaniacs vol. 2 or 3, Pinky and the Brain v3 (if it exists), and maybe some flinstones set. I'm going to try again tomorrow to see what I can find....pm me if interested. Thanks for the heads up on these guys. If I can't find traders, I'd probably just return them within the return period for others to have a chance.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I went to my local BL a few hours ago and it was gutted. I noticed there was a whole section on the wall that was completely empty. I asked a BL employee if they restocked on DVDs, she said they did this morning. So it seems a hoarder came and bought them all out. Bummer.[/QUOTE]

Which location is this at?

I myself dropped by Rowland Heights today and saw a ton of Lois and Clark, George Reeves Superman, and various Hanna Barbera sets (Wacky Races is the only one that comes to mind).

At the Whittier location, I saw various Tales from the Crypt sets, Flintstones S3, and about 4 more copies of Popeye. I lucked out and found a lone copy of Veronica Mars S2 here too

Still searching for Samurai Jack, Powerpuff, and Looney Tunes 1-5 (but then again, who isn't?). If anyone has any info about any SoCal, post em up because info in that area's been relatively scarce.

went to scope my Big Lots out this morning..and they didnt put out jack. And the lady told me yesterday they had a crapload of the $3 sets in the back yesterday..so they must be waiting til tomorrow to put them out. Hopefully I find the majority of what I'm looking for tomorrow.

Only got like 4-5 hours of sleep...so i'm going back to bed.

no reason to look in fort wayne.... Maplecrest put their stock out yesteday and it all went within a few hours... Jefferson put their stock out weds and most of its gone... Southgate said they did not get jack and new haven is just too far out to drive..

Only things i want is

Sam jack (good luck finding it)
and thundercats (again good luck)

not worth my gas and time driving out to new haven since i can get thundercats for around 9 per season on amazon (and probally drop more)

Well fun times at the Big Lots yesterday.

A whole family was there going through the DVDs taking out every single one of the boxed sets. All the $3 boxed sets had been put out and were in their cart.

I struck up a conversation with the mother and found out that her daughter works there. She also claimed that she was just looking for gifts and not re-selling.

Right. Getting every single boxed set in the store. Like over 10 copies of each box set. Gifts. Right.

If you read my rant over in the PC Games at Big Lots I have noted that my Big Lots store DVD and game section always seems to be in disarray. I guess I know why.

I can't compete with AN ENTIRE FAMILY who seems to have nothing better to do than to buy every decent item Big Lots stocks. Not with the daughter working in the store telling her folks when stuff comes in.

The area I live in now sucks.

[quote name='slidecage']no reason to look in fort wayne.... Maplecrest put their stock out yesteday and it all went within a few hours... Jefferson put their stock out weds and most of its gone... Southgate said they did not get jack and new haven is just too far out to drive..

Only things i want is

Sam jack (good luck finding it)
and thundercats (again good luck)

not worth my gas and time driving out to new haven since i can get thundercats for around 9 per season on amazon (and probally drop more)[/QUOTE]
When did they put it out yesterday? I was there around noon and didn't see anything.

[quote name='erehwon']When did they put it out yesterday? I was there around noon and didn't see anything.[/QUOTE]

dont know but there was a big empty space where it says Advertised 3.00 DVD SETS asked a worker and then a manager and both said they went out Friday and they were all sold out yesterday.

I knew i should of stopped over there around 5pm.

they did not have that big empty spot weds night so something had to be there ................................

like i said i got most of the stuff i wanted at the jeffereson store (as of yesterday they still had some flintstones vol 3 4 5 out there) and the superman 60s live action show , wacky racers and that was about it ..

didnt have time or gas to waste going to new haven.. (and expect everything gone there )

who knows they might be lying and waiting to put the stuff out tomorrow but i doubt it and dont really worth the time driving back tomorrow

[quote name='rickeeretardo']Which location is this at?

I myself dropped by Rowland Heights today and saw a ton of Lois and Clark, George Reeves Superman, and various Hanna Barbera sets (Wacky Races is the only one that comes to mind).

At the Whittier location, I saw various Tales from the Crypt sets, Flintstones S3, and about 4 more copies of Popeye. I lucked out and found a lone copy of Veronica Mars S2 here too

Still searching for Samurai Jack, Powerpuff, and Looney Tunes 1-5 (but then again, who isn't?). If anyone has any info about any SoCal, post em up because info in that area's been relatively scarce.[/QUOTE]

It's the Fountain Valley, CA location. A whole section completely gone, it was insane. Of course everything else beside it is in disarray.

[quote name='manthing']Most people who found a 6 disc set(like myself) found this set:

Someone has found the Season 1 Volume 2 set at Big Lots?

:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Most people? It sounded like a lot of people were confused and actually bought 2 disc sets instead of the complete 6-disc box set.

You're actually the first person i heard of that got the complete box set from Big Lots. Congrats! How much was it? The other guy just wanted to know what these box sets should look like.

bread's done
Back