DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit another Local store yesterday after work.. they did not have any of $3 sets at all.. and very few $6 I did manage to get the Smallville Blue.. it was hidden behind a stack of Lakers... (sorry to who ever hid it) it was the only one that they had...

Goign to hit another semi local store today... it's a bigger store, so maybe I'll have better luck.. REALLY want Mission Hill and Blade!

I've been hitting up the only local Big Lots with a consistent DVD set shipment (that I've seen so far) every other day for the past week. Earlier in the week I nabbed War at Home S1, Tales from the Crypt S3, and the Batman animated series 2-pack.

Well, I went up to the store again today looking for more and they didn't have anything I wanted at first glance. Then I head toward to register and a lady has 2 copies of Everwood and when I ask her if they had anymore of them, she said no and started bragging about how she's been back to buy the sets 2-3 times per week.

Ya know, I don't blame her for going up there multiple times per week (I do), but save some of the loot for people that are going to actually watch the stuff. I know we've had this hoarder conversation before, but man that pisses me off when you encounter one of the culprits and they basically laugh in your face about it.

hell, if you can't find what you want, look on Amazon Marketplace or ebay, all these sets will become cheap there from the resellers. I will probably buy TFTC on there, if I don't find the sets at my BL

[quote name='theego204']I've been hitting up the only local Big Lots with a consistent DVD set shipment (that I've seen so far) every other day for the past week. Earlier in the week I nabbed War at Home S1, Tales from the Crypt S3, and the Batman animated series 2-pack.

Well, I went up to the store again today looking for more and they didn't have anything I wanted at first glance. Then I head toward to register and a lady has 2 copies of Everwood and when I ask her if they had anymore of them, she said no and started bragging about how she's been back to buy the sets 2-3 times per week.

Ya know, I don't blame her for going up there multiple times per week (I do), but save some of the loot for people that are going to actually watch the stuff. I know we've had this hoarder conversation before, but man that pisses me off when you encounter one of the culprits and they basically laugh in your face about it.[/QUOTE]

Buying 2 copies of Everwood is hoarding?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Buying 2 copies of Everwood is hoarding?[/QUOTE]

i think going back 2 to 3 times a week = hoarding...

i think im done only thing i want is Thundercats and flintstones season 6 and its not worth the time or hassle looking anymore ... Might go back next thursday but dobut i check back before then

It's really a sliding scale. Buying 2 copies of Everwood is hoarding. Buying 2 copies of Joey is doing a public service.

Mission Hill complete series
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)

If anyone can pick those up i'd be willing to pay for them + shipping no big lots near me :(

[quote name='JJSP']SKU's are totally useless because they're all generic "$3 Boxset" UPC's.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Some items have individual SKU, like Season 3.

So I finally drive on over to the Big Lots near me...and its going out of business.

Grabbed the Joey Season 1 for 4.80. SCORE!!!!!!!!
I had to get something after driving all the way there and shockingly, it was the best thing I could find.

Buying 2 copies of Everwood alone ain't hoarding, but:

Going back 2 to 3 times a week + bragging about your loot + not leaving any sets for everyone else = hoarding.

I think what people do on CAG is great (trading and so-forth), but to taunt me about having what I want is pushing it a bit. And that's why that lady rubbed me the wrong way, that's all...

Just returned a few items that I picked up for CAGs who didnt want to trade afterwards. I think this is the end of going back to BL for me. My BL has been stripped of basically everything, I might check out some further BLs out of the way in the future, but if its like anything like my closest BL, I would think hoarders hit them up too.

I don't know if this title has been mentioned before as it's not on the mail list, but I got Huckleberry Hound Show Volume 1 for $3.00. So far I found nearly everything I had wanted except for the one that I probably wanted the most, Powerpuff Girls. LOL! I did go to 5 different stores for about a total of 20 times waiting for them all to be put out which is why I got so lucky. I think I had spent close to or over $200.00 on sets which most of them I'll probably never get around to watching more than a few eps of. D'oh!

I found a few more of my wants today, still no PPG though. I found a WB Academy Awards Animation Collection (only one at four stores) 41 shorts Bugs Bunny, Droopy, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, ect. Some are even widescreen!

[quote name='fairyland']I don't know if this title has been mentioned before as it's not on the mail list, but I got Huckleberry Hound Show Volume 1 for $3.00. So far I found nearly everything I had wanted except for the one that I probably wanted the most, Powerpuff Girls. LOL! I did go to 5 different stores for about a total of 20 times waiting for them all to be put out which is why I got so lucky. I think I had spent close to or over $200.00 on sets which most of them I'll probably never get around to watching more than a few eps of. D'oh![/QUOTE]

Ha, I hear ya there. I already had a huge backlog of sets to watch, but these things were too good to pass on!

If anyone has some extra sets of Flintstones Season 4 or Tales from The Crypt Season 1 & 7 I'm needing to piece together some sets, and I need a few of each, so PM me and I'll buy them with some extra on top of course, I don't want to have to buy these from Amazon.

[quote name='theego204']Buying 2 copies of Everwood alone ain't hoarding, but:

Going back 2 to 3 times a week + bragging about your loot + not leaving any sets for everyone else = hoarding.

I think what people do on CAG is great (trading and so-forth), but to taunt me about having what I want is pushing it a bit. And that's why that lady rubbed me the wrong way, that's all...[/QUOTE]

So this lady actually told you she was picking up multiple copies of shows..or are you just assuming that because she keeps coming into the store?

Anyways:

Went to 3 stores today..al which are an hour to 2 hours from me.just because I had nothing better to do, and the bay City location hasnt put anything out:

West Genese County: All I found here were Popeyes and Josie and the Pussycat sets. A few $6 sets like The OC..nothing great. I picked up a Popeye here.

Dixie Highway: A couple sets of Lois and Clark Season 3....I decided not to get it since I'd like a full set.....a couple Batman Animated series volume 4, and a couple tales from teh Crypt Season 3. Already own all the Tales and Batmans though. And there were Josies and Popeyes as well. And 2 copies of Murphy Brown..which i nabbed 1 of.

Telegraph Rd. Pontiac:

No $3 sets yet. Lots of $6 sets though. many copies of both Volume 1 and 2 of Pinky and the Brain and Volume 1 of Animaniacs

I will not be going back to these stores though..so don't ask me to pick you up anything.

I grabbed an ad at the Pontiac store and it says the $3 sets will be out Sunday..so when I go to Bay City tomorrow I'll just plant that in their face if I cant find anything.

BTW, I went into an FYE today, and saw a lot of these sets marked down, new. Doubt it's coincidence. They also had Veronica Mars S1 and S3 marked down, which aren't part of the BL stock, afaik.

[quote name='elessar123']BTW, I went into an FYE today, and saw a lot of these sets marked down, new. Doubt it's coincidence. They also had Veronica Mars S1 and S3 marked down, which aren't part of the BL stock, afaik.[/QUOTE]

whats the going price on most?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']So this lady actually told you she was picking up multiple copies of shows..or are you just assuming that because she keeps coming into the store?
[/QUOTE]

She told me that she had been up to the store 2 or 3 times in the past week AND that she had gotten a bunch of stuff in that timeframe. I was only half-paying attention when she named off the shows and I didn't bother to ask how many of them she had bought or what she was doing with them, but she talked like a reseller (or someone wanting to make a profit) to me. Who really knows though. Maybe I'm just bitter about not finding half the stuff I want yet :D

But eh, what's done is done. Maybe I'll get lucky on a stop there tomorrow. I have promised myself I will make a daily trip until I find the stuff I want. The closest BL is only 10 minutes from the house, so if I find the sets it'll be worth it.

I went to the local Big Lots store yesterday in Waxahachie, Tx and today in Desoto, Tx. I was able to pick up the following for $3 each:

Flinstones, seasons 1-6
Batman the Animated Series, seasons 2-4
Tales From the Crypt, seasons 2,3, and 5
Tracey Takes On, season 1
Lois and Clark, seasons 3-4
Favorite Holiday Favorites
Appleseed Machina (metal box)
Wacky Races

Generally these are getting picked over as soon as they are put on the shelves. The employees of the stores were concerned that they would be out of the $3 sets before the ads were even released.

I have been to Big Lots more in the last two weeks than I have in a lifetime. I hope they do more of these sales in the near future.

[quote name='theego204']She told me that she had been up to the store 2 or 3 times in the past week AND that she had gotten a bunch of stuff in that timeframe. I was only half-paying attention when she named off the shows and I didn't bother to ask how many of them she had bought or what she was doing with them, but she talked like a reseller (or someone wanting to make a profit) to me. Who really knows though. Maybe I'm just bitter about not finding half the stuff I want yet :D

But eh, what's done is done. Maybe I'll get lucky on a stop there tomorrow. I have promised myself I will make a daily trip until I find the stuff I want. The closest BL is only 10 minutes from the house, so if I find the sets it'll be worth it.[/QUOTE]

well best of luck.

C'mon, is it too much to ask (yeah, I know it can be a pain, and possibly a scam too), but if you go to a big lots and they have the stuff us cags have been in a frenzy over, like Batman/Superman animated series season, Animaniacs, Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack (well those all what I want, but I know most here would be willing to pay/trade decently for) and the supply is definately not enough to meet demand, but if you have a few extra bucks... pick up as many copies as the high demand ones that you can!

I have crappy BL's in my area, but I'm willing and know many more cags would willingly pay a bit extra for your time/gas/shipping, and be eternally grateful to boot. I try to do it with target clearances, the few times I have spare cash.

/rant

btw, anyone have any of those I listed they'd be willing to part with (mainly Batman:AS and Animaniacs, and Superman:AS)

anymore cries for trades, I will keep in the trade thread.... just tired of seeing "they had a bunch of "popular title a" when I was there" I'd kill for any volume of Batman:as... so anyone need a hitman?

[quote name='faceinthecrowd']C'mon, is it too much to ask (yeah, I know it can be a pain, and possibly a scam too), but if you go to a big lots and they have the stuff us cags have been in a frenzy over, like Batman/Superman animated series season, Animaniacs, Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack (well those all what I want, but I know most here would be willing to pay/trade decently for) and the supply is definately not enough to meet demand, but if you have a few extra bucks... pick up as many copies as the high demand ones that you can!

I have crappy BL's in my area, but I'm willing and know many more cags would willingly pay a bit extra for your time/gas/shipping, and be eternally grateful to boot. I try to do it with target clearances, the few times I have spare cash.

/rant

btw, anyone have any of those I listed they'd be willing to part with (mainly Batman:AS and Animaniacs, and Superman:AS)

anymore cries for trades, I will keep in the trade thread.... just tired of seeing "they had a bunch of "popular title a" when I was there" I'd kill for any volume of Batman:as... so anyone need a hitman?[/QUOTE]

Do you have anything for trade? If I have any spare cash tomorrow and find any batmans at my local store(thats only 15 miles away), I will pick some up. But theres no way in hell I'm driving back out to those other stores. They are 70+ miles away each.

Wow. And here I thought Warren was out of your way. :shock:

When I get up in the morning, I'm going to go to the only store close to me that I haven't seen put the cheap stuff out yet. The only problem is that I haven't been there since last week, so it might have come and gone...but the first trip only turned up a handful of West Wing and Pinky and the Brain sets (and an inexplicable number of James Bond movies), so I'm hoping that I'll get lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Wow. And here I thought Warren was out of your way. :shock:

When I get up in the morning, I'm going to go to the only store close to me that I haven't seen put the cheap stuff out yet. The only problem is that I haven't been there since last week, so it might have come and gone...but the first trip only turned up a handful of West Wing and Pinky and the Brain sets (and an inexplicable number of James Bond movies), so I'm hoping that I'll get lucky.[/QUOTE]

yah..I know. lol. Stupid Big Lots and their cheap dvd sets!

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']whats the going price on most?[/QUOTE]

Most of the ones I saw are marked down to $9.99 new, like ER, Lois and Clark, Dukes of Hazzard and a few others I don't recall right now, with all 3 seasons of Veronica Mars being $14.99, but I didn't see the high demand ones like Batman/Powerpuff. It's not bad considering ER and Dukes were $6 at Big Lots. OC and West Wing were there too, but I don't remember if it was $9.99 or $14.99. Not as good of a deal, but for $9.99, it's probably still better than getting someone to ship it.

On another note, they have a lot of other boxed sets that's like $10-$20+ over MSRP, like $59.99 for Battlestar Galatica 4.5 (49.99 MSRP), House sets at 59.99 (But I guess that's actually MSRP cause I've never seen anyone sell it that high), and other stuff.

Well I got good pickups today. When I arrived in the morning all I found were a couple of Joey, West Wing, Duke of Hazards. I decided to look around the store for a couple of minutes. While I was checking what the soft drinks, an employee passed beside me with a huge box full of DVD box sets. I asked her if I could browse the box and this is what I picked up:

All $3.
Veronica Mars S2
Popeye The Sailor Volume 1
Birdman & The Galaxy Trio: the complete series
Wacky Races: The Complete Series
Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines: The Complete Series
Top Cat: The Complete Series
Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season
The Flintstones S1, S3, S5
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection

Total came out to $36.22 w/tax.
:)

[quote name='elessar123']Most of the ones I saw are marked down to $9.99 new, like ER, Lois and Clark, Dukes of Hazzard and a few others I don't recall right now, with all 3 seasons of Veronica Mars being $14.99, but I didn't see the high demand ones like Batman/Powerpuff. It's not bad considering ER and Dukes were $6 at Big Lots. OC and West Wing were there too, but I don't remember if it was $9.99 or $14.99. Not as good of a deal, but for $9.99, it's probably still better than getting someone to ship it.

On another note, they have a lot of other boxed sets that's like $10-$20+ over MSRP, like $59.99 for Battlestar Galatica 4.5 (49.99 MSRP), House sets at 59.99 (But I guess that's actually MSRP cause I've never seen anyone sell it that high), and other stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thats FYE alright. A few sale items and the rest of the stuff is jacked.

I have a friend who works there, so anytime they get new stuff he gives me a call. I found a volume of Beck for $3 but I didn't pick it up as I was hoping for a complete series.

I've got a bunch of random 360 games I'll gladly trade towards Tales seasons (cash as well). I'm assuming I won't piece together a full set around here, so any help is appreciated. :)

I don't understand why FYE is marking these sets down, Big Lots won't be carrying these for long, so it's probably in their best interest to just wait it out.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I don't understand why FYE is marking these sets down, Big Lots won't be carrying these for long, so it's probably in their best interest to just wait it out.[/QUOTE]

Or else they simply want to cash in on people who are aware of the Big Lots sale prices. Which for right now is a good idea.

I had a manager at a Big Lots tell me that they are a "test market" for these DVDs and if they do well they will continue to get them though, which I doubt seriously that Warner Brothers is going to manufacture DVD Box Sets for Big Lots to sell for 3 bucks.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I had a manager at a Big Lots tell me that they are a "test market" for these DVDs and if they do well they will continue to get them though, which I doubt seriously that Warner Brothers is going to manufacture DVD Box Sets for Big Lots to sell for 3 bucks.[/QUOTE]

No they aren't. Its overstock closeout product that Big Lots is selling to us. Notice the titles you are seeing in these? They are all titles that have been out for a good deal of time that for the most part didn't sell very well. Come on how many people for god sakes do you think actually would spend over $100+ for that NFL America's Game set? That's why those $100+ sets are now selling for $10 at Big Lots. Because they didn't sell.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']So this lady actually told you she was picking up multiple copies of shows..or are you just assuming that because she keeps coming into the store?

Anyways:

Went to 3 stores today..al which are an hour to 2 hours from me.just because I had nothing better to do, and the bay City location hasnt put anything out:

West Genese County: All I found here were Popeyes and Josie and the Pussycat sets. A few $6 sets like The OC..nothing great. I picked up a Popeye here.

Dixie Highway: A couple sets of Lois and Clark Season 3....I decided not to get it since I'd like a full set.....a couple Batman Animated series volume 4, and a couple tales from teh Crypt Season 3. Already own all the Tales and Batmans though. And there were Josies and Popeyes as well. And 2 copies of Murphy Brown..which i nabbed 1 of.

Telegraph Rd. Pontiac:

No $3 sets yet. Lots of $6 sets though. many copies of both Volume 1 and 2 of Pinky and the Brain and Volume 1 of Animaniacs

I will not be going back to these stores though..so don't ask me to pick you up anything.

I grabbed an ad at the Pontiac store and it says the $3 sets will be out Sunday..so when I go to Bay City tomorrow I'll just plant that in their face if I cant find anything.[/QUOTE]

i tried that ad thing saturday when everything was gone. Manager told me INSIDERS get the ads on thursday so ALL sunday ads get placed on Thursday.. If i dont like it then i should of been an insider... Very rude how they said it as well....

Wrote to best buy webpage and they said its up to each store how they want to handle the sale items but they do have the right to put items out early.

i would love to see all stores drop their prices on box sets..... Box sets should be treated like video games... Instead of having a crap box set sit on the shelfs for years, sell them off for 10 or under... I would buy a lot more series at 10 or under then paying 30+ for them

Well, my nearest location, Bay City, MI, put the $3 titles out today....just wish I had found more I wanted.

I picked up:

Flintstones Season 4
Lois and Clark Season 1
Lois and Clark Season 3
Adventures of Superman Season 1
Adventures of Superman Season 2
Adventures of Superman Seasons 3 & 4
Appleseed machina steelbook

[quote name='slidecage']i tried that ad thing saturday when everything was gone. Manager told me INSIDERS get the ads on thursday so ALL sunday ads get placed on Thursday.. If i dont like it then i should of been an insider... Very rude how they said it as well....

Wrote to best buy webpage and they said its up to each store how they want to handle the sale items but they do have the right to put items out early.

i would love to see all stores drop their prices on box sets..... Box sets should be treated like video games... Instead of having a crap box set sit on the shelfs for years, sell them off for 10 or under... I would buy a lot more series at 10 or under then paying 30+ for them[/QUOTE]
I also found out about that insiders thing today. I'm just wondering when on thursday they put stuff out? I'm thinking about checking sometime on thursday evening and friday morning this week.

I went out to the New Haven store and there wasn't much left there. A couple wonder woman s2 sets and several pinky and the brain sets. I'm just so annoyed that there isn't anything left. I'm really wanting to find that samurai jack set and a couple of the batman sets. It looks like I'll have to go to ebay for some of these.

[quote name='erehwon']I also found out about that insiders thing today. I'm just wondering when on thursday they put stuff out? I'm thinking about checking sometime on thursday evening and friday morning this week.

I went out to the New Haven store and there wasn't much left there. A couple wonder woman s2 sets and several pinky and the brain sets. I'm just so annoyed that there isn't anything left. I'm really wanting to find that samurai jack set and a couple of the batman sets. It looks like I'll have to go to ebay for some of these.[/QUOTE]

you ever try the southgate store..... i would but since its what most people would call the junkie side of town i doubt they got much if anything

would think about going today BUT thinking of getting red of my Comcast dvd box so today its

Transfer everything from the DVR to DVD LOL probally take a good 18 to 36 hours to get everthing i want off the box

one time i hit up new haven they had their stuff out by 1230 thursday

Three of the stores near me had put out and sold through their cheap DVDs in the past week. With today's trip to the fourth store, I think I'm out of the Big Lots game, barring any miracle finds down the road.

Today's trip wasn't quite the holy grail I'd hoped, but I guessed right: the store did put out the $3 sets for the first time this weekend, and they even had one I hadn't come across before, the Huckleberry Hound Season 1 set (which I got mostly for the Yogi cartoons that were included). I also picked up Top Cat and Space Ghost, both of which I'd passed up before realizing I've spent $3 on much dumber things before.

My total haul:
Flintstones Season 1
Flintstones Season 2
Flintstones Season 3
Flintstones Season 4
Flintstones Season 5
Flintstones Season 6
Huckleberry Hound Season 1
Popeye 1933-1938
Space Ghost and Dino Boy Complete Series
Top Cat Complete Series
Wacky Races Complete Series
Animaniacs Volume 1 (thanks again, FlamedLiquid!)
Animaniacs Volume 2

That's eleven $3 sets, and two $6 ones, for a total of $45 for a whopping 8,063 minutes (or just over five and a half days) of cartoons. The best part? Thanks to rebates from Micro Center and FYE in the form of prepaid Visas, I spent a total of $10 out of pocket. :D

The Hanna Barbera stuff has been the most pleasant surprise for me. I grew up watching those cartoons, on Cartoon Network (back in the days when they not only ran cartoons, but ran the old ones) and early morning TBS reruns. I hadn't planned to buy any of the sets - especially since I found them well before most of you did, if memory serves - but for $3 each, it wasn't a hard call. Guess I can't complain about my cable package not including Boomerang anymore...

I didn't find everything I wanted (I would've loved the Golden Collection sets, and Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls would've been nice), but I'm happy with what I found...even though the only sets off my list I'd ever thought about buying before were the Animaniacs ones. ;)

[quote name='slidecage']i tried that ad thing saturday when everything was gone. Manager told me INSIDERS get the ads on thursday so ALL sunday ads get placed on Thursday.. If i dont like it then i should of been an insider... Very rude how they said it as well....

i would love to see all stores drop their prices on box sets..... Box sets should be treated like video games... Instead of having a crap box set sit on the shelfs for years, sell them off for 10 or under... I would buy a lot more series at 10 or under then paying 30+ for them[/QUOTE]

Theres a lot of series that do that. Look at all the DVD show 2 packs at Wal-Mart and Target. Majority are priced between $20 and $30. But they are mainly FOX series.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Well, my nearest location, Bay City, MI, put the $3 titles out today....just wish I had found more I wanted.

I picked up:

Flintstones Season 4
Lois and Clark Season 1
Lois and Clark Season 3
Adventures of Superman Seasons 3 & 4
Appleseed machina steelbook[/QUOTE]

you still want more? all i got was flintstones season 2...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Three of the stores near me had put out and sold through their cheap DVDs in the past week. With today's trip to the fourth store, I think I'm out of the Big Lots game, barring any miracle finds down the road.

Today's trip wasn't quite the holy grail I'd hoped, but I guessed right: the store did put out the $3 sets for the first time this weekend, and they even had one I hadn't come across before, the Huckleberry Hound Season 1 set (which I got mostly for the Yogi cartoons that were included). I also picked up Top Cat and Space Ghost, both of which I'd passed up before realizing I've spent $3 on much dumber things before.

My total haul:
Flintstones Season 1
Flintstones Season 2
Flintstones Season 3
Flintstones Season 4
Flintstones Season 5
Flintstones Season 6
Huckleberry Hound Season 1
Popeye 1933-1938
Space Ghost and Dino Boy Complete Series
Top Cat Complete Series
Animaniacs Volume 1 (thanks again, FlamedLiquid!)
Animaniacs Volume 2

That's eleven $3 sets, and two $6 ones, for a total of $45 for a whopping 8,063 minutes (or just over five and a half days) of cartoons. The best part? Thanks to rebates from Micro Center and FYE in the form of prepaid Visas, I spent a total of $10 out of pocket. :D

The Hanna Barbera stuff has been the most pleasant surprise for me. I grew up watching those cartoons, on Cartoon Network (back in the days when they not only ran cartoons, but ran the old ones) and early morning TBS reruns. I hadn't planned to buy any of the sets - especially since I found them well before most of you did, if memory serves - but for $3 each, it wasn't a hard call. Guess I can't complain about my cable package not including Boomerang anymore...

I didn't find everything I wanted (I would've loved the Golden Collection sets, and Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls would've been nice), but I'm happy with what I found...even though the only sets off my list I'd ever thought about buying before were the Animaniacs ones. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think I'm pretty much done with this sale too. Spent the last bit of my check today, and I've been to like 10 Big Lots in MI............7 which were way out of the way for me. lol. NP on the trade Walrus. I'm glad I traded with you because I havent seen Flintstones Season 2 pop up anywhere. Have seen Top Cat at the majority of the stores though. Top Cat was always one of my favorite Hanna Barbera cartoons as a kid..so I couldnt pass that up for $3. And its always good to boost the Trade rep..especially since I've been sitting at '1' for quite some time.

I also barely have enough gas to make it to a gas station come my next check on Friday. That's probally the only advantage of unemployment checks I guess........you can dwindle your gas down to nothing. lol

I have a friend in TN that will hopefully snag me a few more sets I couldnt find here. The Looney Tunes set would have been mind blowing to have found, but I'm pleased with everything I got. cant complain for $3 and $6 sets. I'm just pondering why they had some priced at $6 and than a new shipment of titles at $3.

My more than likely final haul:

$3
--------
Flintstones Season 2
Flintstones Season 3
Flintstones Season 4
Flintstones Season 5
Top Cat Complete Series
Popeye Volume 1
Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Complete Series
Josie and the Pussycats Complete Series
Murphy Brown Season 1
The War At Home Season 1
Appleseed EX Mahcina Steelbook
God, the Devil, and Bob
KITE Volume 1
KITE Volume 2
KITE Volume 3
KITE Volume 4
Lois and Clark Season 1
Lois and Clark Season 3
Adventures of Superman Seasons 3 and 4

$6
--------
Joey Season 1
The New Scooby Doo Movies
Animaniacs Volume 1
Animaniacs Volume 2
Pinky and the Brain Volume 1
Pinky and the Brain Volume 2
Nightmares and Dreamscapes Complete Series
The History of Rock and Roll 5 Disc set

I know GTD&B and the KITE Volumes weren't part of this sale, but I bought them during this whole spending spree.

So $112 + tax.....about $119..and figure in probably $30 spent in gas..if not more.

$150 well spent. :)

Am definitely hoping to see more tv show sets for cheap at Big Lots.

My haul

batman animated series vol 4 x 2 (one will be tossing either back or for trade)
Dastardly and muttley series x2 (one for self one for trade who they later backed out going back)
power puff collection x2 (one open one sealed )
war at home (wanted this )
top cat (wanted this)
wacky races
murphy brown season 1 (will probally go back not sure yet)
JOEY (got it off ebay for 4 shipped)
tales from the crypt Season 3 4 5
lois and clark season 1 3 4
flintstones season 1 2 3 4 5 (have an extra 3 if anyone had a 6)

overall blew around 60 bucks

1 batman, 1 mutley, 1 brown, one flintstones would knock 12 off sending it down to 48
now take the returns away

and probally end up buying the thundercats off amazon for 20 for 2 seasons....

Well, I hit 4 big lots across 3 states yesterday (I had to go anyway, so I hit some stores). I hit one in Michigan City Indiana and they guy said "I just put out a whole bunch of thundercats sets this morning over there". I check the shelf and they are all gone. He said "there must have been 20 or so" and he pulls out a cart of DVDs and says I am welcome to look through them. I found 2 Thundercats S1 V1 sets! (one for me and 1 for my bro) I will be answering PMs this afternoon for other pick ups when I get organized.

ok... been checking my local one about 3 times a week for last 3 weeks...

today found...

NFL America's Game $10 - 2 copies bought 1.
IMAX Ultimate Collection $10 - 1 copy bought it
Roots Complete Series $10 - 3 copies left 'em

I admit I dont read this thread compeltely but I don't think I've seen the IMAX mentioned

I definitely recommend hitting any stores which hadn't put out anything prior to today. Hit one store which had no sign of the $3 sets this week only to find they stocked their shelves today. Once again though, no sign of Flintstones S1 or S6 as well as no sign of Crypt S1 which are all I was mainly looking for.

Did find a few Huckleberry Hounds which I hadn't seen at any stores before so that helped a little.

No sign at all this past week or today finding the $10 sets however.

bread's done
Back