DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Some Big Lots may have Lois and Clark the Superman show season 1, 3, and 4, for $3 each, and Flintstones season 1-3 as well. Sadly I didn't realize that that was super rare otherwise I woulda bought out their stock. Anyway, the store was a store up near Lake WInnepesaukah on the Tennessee Georgia line, on the georgia side.

Post 581:
[quote name='x_mystery_y']Came back to the first BL on Wednesday and they had $3 sets out now: Murphy Brown S1, Lois & Clark S1 & S3, Batman: AS V4, Larry King Interviews, and maybe some HBO series I've never heard of. Picked up the Lois & Clark ones, and Batman V4. Friday, I went into the 2nd BL, and they had a bunch of cartoons: Popeye, Flintstones 1-4 (Season 1s were open), Top Cat, Josie and the Pussycats, Hot Wheels, 2 pks of Batman & Superman, Superfriends V2. On the non-animated side: Lois & Clark 1-3, Everwood, Tales from the Crypt, the old George Reeves Superman V1, and Tracy Ulman. I picked up Lois & Clark S2 and the Superfriends. However, even though I had grown up watching Superfriends, this season was lame with the Wonder Twins, only Batman and Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman, and hardly any notable DC villains (sans Mxyl-imp-from the 5th dimension whom I never cared for.) I much prefer Challenge of the Superfriends with Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, etc. vs. the Legion of Doom.[/QUOTE]

Post 582:
[quote name='Gden']I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Some Big Lots may have Lois and Clark the Superman show season 1, 3, and 4, for $3 each, and Flintstones season 1-3 as well. Sadly I didn't realize that that was super rare otherwise I woulda bought out their stock. Anyway, the store was a store up near Lake WInnepesaukah on the Tennessee Georgia line, on the georgia side.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gden']I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Some Big Lots may have Lois and Clark the Superman show season 1, 3, and 4, for $3 each, and Flintstones season 1-3 as well. Sadly I didn't realize that that was super rare otherwise I woulda bought out their stock. Anyway, the store was a store up near Lake WInnepesaukah on the Tennessee Georgia line, on the georgia side.[/QUOTE]

It "has" been mentioned. Check the main post to see all the dvds reported. And they have been found at a lot of locations. the harder to find titles are Flintstones Season 6, Tales From the Crypt Seasons 1 and 6, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and the Looney Tunes Golden Collection 5 volume set.

Someone on dvdtalk has reported seeing:

deadwood s1,3

True Blood S1 (sd)

gilmore girls s2/4

This was in Santa Cruz, CA

May very well be getting a new shipment of titles. Cheap HBO sets..god if this happens I hope it can hold off a few weeks. Need to gather some money up again.

If The Yogi Bear Hanna Barbera set ever appears at all at the Lots I'm probably gonna be goin' like 4-5 times a week hunting for that set. I can only hope in time it'll appear...
I wouldn't mind that Samurai Jack set either but seems as if that's nearly impossible to find in my area. Damn think Imma have a go to another store today jus thinking about it...

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Someone on dvdtalk has reported seeing:

deadwood s1,3

May very well be getting a new shipment of titles. Cheap HBO sets..god if this happens I hope it can hold off a few weeks. Need to gather some money up again.[/QUOTE]

Deadwood?! Oh man .. there goes my DVD storage its freaking over flowing with Big Lots DVD deals

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Someone on dvdtalk has reported seeing:

deadwood s1,3

True Blood S1 (sd)

gilmore girls s2/4

This was in Santa Cruz, CA

May very well be getting a new shipment of titles. Cheap HBO sets..god if this happens I hope it can hold off a few weeks. Need to gather some money up again.[/QUOTE]

Okay, Deadwood and Gilmore Girls make sense, they've been out a long time. But True Blood? Already discounted to (I'm assuming) $6? No way. Does this guy have proof? (Not that you couldn't fake it easily.)

Well I saw only about half the DVDs that seem to be shipping to Big Lots.

I still have not seen the Blade, Batman, Samurai Jack, ect ect.

I had to laugh a little when the manager was bragging how her store receives inventory first.

When it comes to games and DVDs I think every single Big Lots gets their stuff before this store gets a shipment.

I will be on the lookout on Thursday for a shipment.

Just got back from Biglots and Scored the following:
Flintstones S1&2 (picked up 1 each, LEFT a good 6 of each)
Popeye Volume 1 1933-1938 (picked up 3, LEFT a good DOZEN or more!!!)
God the Devil & Bob (picked up 1, LEFT like 3, This was in the TALL cardboard DVD display)

Left (meaning didn't get ANY):
War at Home S1 (left a good Dozen)
Tracy Takes On S1 (left a good 6)
Bridezillas S2 (only saw 1)
Pebbles & BamBam Show (saw 2)

*Note: I pick up multiples because I know people who also want the same stuff I do, not because I'm a hoarder. Hence, why I left as many as I did.*

All the other previous $3 sets I reported about last week are GONE (no more Superman, Tales, anything!!!).

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']Well I saw only about half the DVDs that seem to be shipping to Big Lots.

I still have not seen the Blade, Batman, Samurai Jack, ect ect.[/QUOTE]

Neither have...hell, most of us. Does the phrase "YMMV" mean anything to you?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Okay, Deadwood and Gilmore Girls make sense, they've been out a long time. But True Blood? Already discounted to (I'm assuming) $6? No way. Does this guy have proof? (Not that you couldn't fake it easily.)[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any way to explain why True Blood would show up, especially given how popular it still is. Deadwood, though...:drool:

I've never been able to afford HBO, so if any of their good shows show up (like Deadwood, Carnivale, or...dare I hope for the Sopranos?), then I'm pretty much sold. We'll have to wait for some more confirmation first, though.

[quote name='Un4tun8Disaster']If The Yogi Bear Hanna Barbera set ever appears at all at the Lots I'm probably gonna be goin' like 4-5 times a week hunting for that set. I can only hope in time it'll appear...
I wouldn't mind that Samurai Jack set either but seems as if that's nearly impossible to find in my area. Damn think Imma have a go to another store today jus thinking about it...[/QUOTE]

Doing a quick search on Amazon, it looks like the Yogi Bear set isn't quite as old as the other Hanna Barbera sets we've seen, although there's only a year's difference in release dates. I was going to say I'd assume it sold better, too, but I'd also think that The Flintstones would outsell Yogi, and we saw all six of those sets in Big Lots.

Anyway, a Wave 2 of Hanna-Barbera stuff would be great. The Yogi set would be nice (especially since it includes Snagglepuss cartoons, too), as would The Jetsons or Hong Kong Phooey. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting, but you never know...:)

[quote name='ryoga79']Bridezillas S2 (only saw 1)[/QUOTE]

I think that's a new one. I also think we can skip adding it to the list. :lol:

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']Almost got into a scuffle with a hoarder today.

I got there right at open, and headed for the DVD rack. When I got there, this lady barges in front of me with a shopping cart and starts literally sliding DVDs off of the shelf with two hands and dumping them into her cart as fast as she can.

We're talking she grabbed 12+ sets of Flinstones Season 6. She was hardcore.

I ducked to the side and under her arms, and grabbed the last two copies of Batman: TAS Vol2. When I stood back up, she glared at me and said:

"Excuse me, sir, I was here first. Those are mine."

I blinked in disbelief. Was she serious? I said as much.

"Yeah. I was here before you. I was looking at them. Giive them to me."

I told her no, I was just fine with *my* two DVDs. I'd be paying for them and leaving.

She glared again and said "Well I never!" She looked like she wanted to hit me. Lady was getting furious over Batman! Granted, $3 Batman, but sheesh.

"Yeah, *never* got these two box sets. See ya, lady!" I replied smartly, and walked away, going to the checkout. She followed me, and told the clerk that I took them from her cart.

He looked at me, then at her, rolled his eyes, and helped me to check out. The DVD rack is right near the registers--he knew I didn't take them from her.

Yeesh. I never knew that "BigLots iz serious business" until today.[/QUOTE]

fuck people like that, seriously, I may hoard some stuff sometime to resell but if someone in a store wants to purchase some for personal use they are ALWAYS more than welcome to take them. Profit is profit, but at the end of the day, if you're not a decent human being then what do you have?

[quote name='Cmosfm']fuck people like that, seriously, I may hoard some stuff sometime to resell but if someone in a store wants to purchase some for personal use they are ALWAYS more than welcome to take them. Profit is profit, but at the end of the day, if you're not a decent human being then what do you have?[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the CAG that buys pallets of DVDs and PC games? Or was that a different one with the same avatar? I am not trolling, I am just curious.

[quote name='slowdive21']Aren't you the CAG that buys pallets of DVDs and PC games? Or was that a different one with the same avatar? I am not trolling, I am just curious.[/QUOTE]

I never bought pallets, but at one time I was buying large quantities of them from a guy who bought overstock that was to be sent to a recycling center. Unfortunately that ended when he went to prison for child molestation...

Finally snagged the last Flintstones season 2 and passed on Popeye vol. 1 and Lois and clark season 1. Manager told me the PDF file is true. I will be going back on wednesday when the next shipment arrives.

THANK YOU for the awesome PDF, that makes things way easier on me!

Do they restock in the early morning usually on those days? Or does it happen gradually over the course of store hours? I don't mind lingering a bit but I have a lot of stores in my area so if I could store hop without worrying about being present at the "restock hour" that would be great. From what I could tell it looks like they do things a few hours early before the store opens but I just wanna make sure if anybody knows.

The PDF says "delivery days" and I'm guessing those deliveries would come later so maybe they would be doing the actual stocking a day after? I think I did spy a few people actively loading the shelves later in the day so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Thanks again for the deals and all the information, CAG ROCKS! :)

The overall packaging of the Hanna Barbera sets is nice. The slipcovers are a little bit of a pain in the ass to get off, but I like the animation cel style of the covers, and it's nice that the packaging is consistent across all of the sets - even Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain have the same style and spine design, although they're anywhere from 20 to 40 years newer than the Hanna Barbera series.

I just opened the Huckleberry Hound set I picked up yesterday, and there was a little (reproduction, I'm assuming) animation cell included. :)

It's a shame that the second half of the series hasn't been released and might never be. It's not high art, but who doesn't like a little bit of Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound now and then? Heck, even the Pixie and Dixie cartoons have been funny so far. The set's also got "restored" episodes with the original intros and outros (essentially big ads for the show's sponsor, Kellogs), something that we probably won't see on TV ever again.

I've always been kind of a nerd when it comes to classic animation, but until now the only sets I've had were the Rocky and Bullwinkle box sets. This sale has been very good to me. :D

Now, I guess it's just time to wait and watch the prices drop on these and, hopefully, other sets so I can pick them up when I've got some extra money again. I didn't see the Dick Dastardly spinoff series (though I did get Wacky Races), and I don't think that one will be too hard to find for cheap on Amazon down the road.

Well mine said Wednesday and the manager told me, the truck comes in on wednesday. So yeah, it's a good indicator.

Get there bright and early as you can on w/e day your's restocks.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Well mine said Wednesday and the manager told me, the truck comes in on wednesday. So yeah, it's a good indicator.

Get there bright and early as you can on w/e day your's restocks.[/QUOTE]

Unless if your BL is really slow at putting the stuff out. Like mine is. In this case don't be there bright and early because all you'll get is "we're still working on it" while you see a woman take 10 minutes putting out ONE small box of candy.

[quote name='rickeeretardo']I was at a BL in Long Beach, CA. At first it seemed as if there were no box sets there whatsoever, but after asking an employee, I was directed to the corner of the store where three whole rows of boxes were. I asked if there were any more that weren't on the shelves and was shown the boxes they had in storage by an extremely helpful employee. There were boxes full of Dukes discs and two boxes of various scattered sets. Amidst all the OC season 3s, Smallville Blu-Rays, and some Hanna Barbera sets was a lone copy of Wonder Woman Complete Series. But when I went to the checkout, one of the other employees who saw that I had a Wonder Woman set starting complaining to the helpful employee that she wanted that before. I immediately paid and left, but realized that we're not alone when it comes to Big Lots DVD hunting. The employees, who rightfully have first pick of the (Big) lot, are in the DVD huntin' game as well.[/QUOTE]Yes indeed.
I know one of the guys that works at the local Big Lots. He told me that they got x10-17 of the Looney Toons 1-5 sets in, but the employees (including him) all grabbed em.

I'm a little disappointed. I went back to my local store today to grab some sets to trade with others. They put out their stock yesterday..and I was the first one there yesterday. When I go in to look today 'every' $3 set gone. And they had like 20 copies of Wacky Races..so it was obviously a hoarder.

I ask a clerk if they have more in the back and they tell me to check in tomorrow. And like 3 clerks told me that.........so they best have new stock in tomorrow.

the parkwest store was bare today and that is after i bet 40 flintstones vol 3 sat there for 5 days... asked if they was expecting more boxsets in this week and they said probally no it was a one time thing

i went to mine randomly this past weekend for something unrelated. they had pinky and the brain vol 2, but not 1. if someone has an extra vol 1 and would trade for a vol 2 please PM me asap and ill go pick one up.

they also had some scooby doo, night court season 1, dukes of hazzards season 5 & 6, and several others that i cant remember.

Went to mine for the first time.
Lady told me some dude came in during morning and bout 20+ boxsets, focking hoarders.

anyways i bought the following to trade & just so i have an excuse to go back LOL
Tales of the crypt #3,4,5

Went to BL today and EVERYTHING was wiped out. They had Flintstones 1-6 at least 50+ total and all that was left were 6 copies of season 3 that were all opened. Even Popeye was gone. I think it is safe to assume the horders will be returning some stock around 8/10-8/30. I'm going to return some of the 6 dollar sets if none claims them soon (ie: Pinky vol 1 and 2, Animan. vol 2, Dukes, etc.

How much for P&TB Vol 2 and Anamaniacs Vol 2? I have been looking for those for a while... No Vol 3's? Thankz let me know. I'm interested in getting those.

went to 2 local BL's today and the only thing I bought was "wacky races" which I bought (and Waiting for Guffman for $3 [freakin sweet]) only because I knew people here wanted it. So if anyone wants Wacky Races, let me know... been trying to find animaniacs vol. 1 & 3, any animated Batman animated series sets or pinky and the brain vol 1. Send me a private message.

winchester also had a bunch of Joey season 1's

I saw Ninja Turtle S1V1 and S1V2 for $3 each. This is the remake that is based more on the comics. They have a lot of random anime coming in.

Even if they get the truck on a Monday they will still take their time putting items on the shelf. Items being put out on the same day is very YMMV.

[quote name='Japakneez']I saw Ninja Turtle S1V1 and S1V2 for $3 each.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I'd totally get those for only $3 each. I'll need to do some checking around later this week for those.

Incidentally, if you happen to go back, I've got a few different sets I'd be willing to trade for those if I can't find them myself (Jonny Quest S1 & Batman Animated Series V3).

[quote name='spikyhunter3']is this what it looks like?
http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Episodes/dp/B000NJMJKM/ref=pd_sim_d_1[/QUOTE]

yep. If you guys can't find it they're actually pretty cheap on amazon. About $7 shipped in new condition.

S1V1
61LmBGTddvL._SS500_.jpg

S1V2
51LHuUosA%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Picked up Tales From The Crypt S3 tonight along with Lois & Clark S1 and S3. Not particularly interested in Lois & Clark, and I'll gladly swap them for Tales sets if anyone has extras.

Waiting on a restock. :)

About the stocking thing, I saw a truck drive up and park by a Big Lots on Friday, around midday (pdf says Friday for that store), so I really doubt they'll have it in the morning of the day listed.

[quote name='rickeeretardo']Anyone see the Powerpuff Girls Complete anywhere around Southern California lately?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen that at all nor any of the really sought after sets. I did see most if not all of the hannah barbara sets though.

I don't know why Big Lots doesn't have a limit on them! They worry there won't be any? Put a limit of one per title!

I went out on Sunday and found absolutely nothing in the way of TV show sets aside from Pinky & The Brain vol. 2 (4 discs), which I bought. Oh, and The OC, which I laughed at.
That PDF says Tuesday for shipments for my local store. Are they supposed to be getting more of these shows? I really want a couple of them, like Batman and Thundercats. I guess I'll head out some time tomorrow anyway. Now I'm just debating if I should go early, noon, afternoon, or what.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I don't know why Big Lots doesn't have a limit on them! They worry there won't be any? Put a limit of one per title![/QUOTE]

In reality, all they want is to sell them, may it be to 100 customers who buy one each, or 1 who buys 100.

bread's done
Back