DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Link927']In reality, all they want is to sell them, may it be to 100 customers who buy one each, or 1 who buys 100.[/QUOTE]

Which in the end is going to cause more pissed off customers than anything else. But that's the choice of Big Lots to make. Still a terrible decision.

[quote name='Japakneez']I saw Ninja Turtle S1V1 and S1V2 for $3 each. This is the remake that is based more on the comics. They have a lot of random anime coming in.

Even if they get the truck on a Monday they will still take their time putting items on the shelf. Items being put out on the same day is very YMMV.[/QUOTE]

The Turtles sets are not that new to Big Lots; I bought s1v1 and s1v2 about 4-5 months ago. Also had seen a bunch of other 4Kids animated shows in that same bunch (Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic). Still, very nice find; can't beat it for that price!

[quote name='elessar123']About the stocking thing, I saw a truck drive up and park by a Big Lots on Friday, around midday (pdf says Friday for that store), so I really doubt they'll have it in the morning of the day listed.[/QUOTE]Makes sense to me, thanks!

I might have to see if I can ask the employees when their trucks come in, probably not a question they like fielding and I may not even get a straight (or accurate) answer but I don't have much of a choice. :whistle2:(

Just got back from my local Big Lots and noticed something odd. A group of like 8 people huddled outside waiting for the store to open. Turns out Tuesdays are the day they put out the new ad items. Didnt know this since they put out the $3 sets on Sunday. Guess they goofed.

Kind of funny because when I went yesterday I reported they were cleaned out. Nope they must have just returned them to the back, because they had the exact same stock out today they had out Sunday.

No new titles for me, but I did pick up one of each set I saw there for trade purposes.

Yep - My BL gets their truck on Wednesday... Imagine my surprise today when I walked in and picked up:

Pebbles and Bam-Bam series (I had orginially said Penelope Pitstop, but then went back through my purchase)
Wacky Races
Flintstones S4,5,6
Some 3 DVD set of trucks for my son
Batman AND Superman (2 Box sets) - $3
S1,2,3&4,5&6 of the Original Adventrues of Superman

No America's Game and no Looney Tunes, but I am EXTREMELY happy about my haul today...

Still need Flintstones S1,2 - but I can keep my eye out for that. My BL, like FlamedLiquid, seems to hold for the new Ad. The woman at the counter said "These are going to be in the new ad tomorrow."... Now I know :)

Has anybody at one point ever walked into a Big Lots right when it opens (9am) and found the DVD section to be stocked full? I mean like freshly stocked like their shipment just came in?

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Has anybody at one point ever walked into a Big Lots right when it opens (9am) and found the DVD section to be stocked full? I mean like freshly stocked like their shipment just came in?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that that is what mine looked like this morning. I just don't think the hoarders were figuring on the DVDs going up today - they were probably expecting (like me) that the new DVD's would come in on the truck.

Oh - for those that are interested... some other sets had been reported, but not confirmed... I can confirm Everwood, Season 1 - my BL had it today for $3... I didn;t pick it up, because I'm not a fan, but there were 4 or 5 copies from the cases they put out today.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Has anybody at one point ever walked into a Big Lots right when it opens (9am) and found the DVD section to be stocked full? I mean like freshly stocked like their shipment just came in?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did on Sunday. The store opened at 9AM and I was waiting outside. I could see the clerk putting stacks of DVDs on a spare counter. She was doing Flintstones as I watched. Five minutes later, the store opened and she was unloading two big boxes as I checked to see what she had. There was quite an assortment: Flintstones, Top Cat, Jonny Quest, Mission Hill, Veronica Mars S2, Murphy Brown S1, Penelope Pitstop, Tales From the Crypt S 2,3,4,5, Lois and Clark, Tracy Takes On, War at Home, Scooby Doo and a few others. Unfortunately, no Huckleberry Hound, which was what I really wanted. A few customers around but no one paid any attention to the DVDs.

I think it just depends on when the employees get around to stocking them. We're giving Big Lots far too much credit if we assume everything runs like clockwork around there. :lol:

According to the pdf, one of my local stores receives shipments on Monday. Two weeks ago, I went on Thursday and they had zero boxsets. I went back the very next day, and they suddenly had two displays full of new sets. This was around 3:00pm and the cashier said they had just been put out.

This same store failed to stock any new boxsets over the past weekend. They finally had something new yesterday, but it was only a dozen copies of the Popeye Volume One set.

[quote name='poirot']I think it just depends on when the employees get around to stocking them. We're giving Big Lots far too much credit if we assume everything runs like clockwork around there. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

yeah one of my biglots gets the truck on monday. But over the last two weeks they've been putting out their new dvds on wednesday.

[quote name='JJSP']Grabbed Adventures Of Superman S1, 3/4, and 5/6 today. Now I've gotta find S2 somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I was actually pretty excited to pick up those sets today... I wavered for a minute on it, but figured - when will you ever get 6 sets of classic TV again for 12 bucks?

Over here they have 2 places where the dvd's are. First is in the front where the registers and the candy are. Next place is way in the back where the furniture is. I think they do that so the flippers who never even heard of big lots up until this sale started won't clean them out.

The next batch appears to be HBO shows. Deadwood, Gilmore girls, and True Blood.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Over here they have 2 places where the dvd's are. First is in the front where the registers and the candy are. Next place is way in the back where the furniture is. I think they do that so the flippers who never even heard of big lots up until this sale started won't clean them out.

The next batch appears to be HBO shows. Deadwood, Gilmore girls, and True Blood.[/QUOTE]

Uh, so you actually found True Blood? That is absolutely insane. I think I am still within my 30 day exchange period for Amazon. If I can find one of those, that would save some serious money.

I hope my Big Lots gets in some of those Curb Your Enthusiam sets I've read about (which is probably unlikely) because my mother-in-law loves that show and that'd be a great Christmas present :D Anyone know if this HBO dvd rumor is strictly rumor or if they have been spotted yet?

Well I went down to my local Big Lots and it looks just like as it did yesterday. According to the pdf file they're suppose to receive their shipment in today. Either the truck hasn't come by yet or they just haven't placed it out on the floor. I'll go back later tonight to check again for confirmation to see how accurate the pdf file can get.

The next batch appears to be HBO shows. Deadwood, Gilmore girls, and True Blood.
Woah, is that true? I'm definitely going after True Blood. Good Show.

I went to mine today and they indeed had a new shipment like the PDF said. Not much of interest to me though. A ton of Flinstones and Popeye. And a pretty good amount of the old live action Superman show.
Luckily they had the Batman vol. 3 four disc set. Very happy to get that, but I was hoping for more.. maybe if I check throughout the week I'll get lucky. The shelf was pretty packed so there could be more in the back? Who knows.

Well, I checked the one nearest me daily for 3-4 days last week cause I saw no boxed sets whatsoever since I went in there 2-3 weeks ago, nor any time I went in (it's next to the gas station I go to and across the supermarket I shop at, so I went in 2 times a week anyways).

I was there Friday of last week, right at closing, to see if they were stocking anything yet. Nothing. I went there 2 hours after opening Saturday, and everything was out, and lots of stuff gone already. So yea, I'm sure there are Big Lots that can change from closing to opening, if that's your point.

[quote name='gdemander']Uh, so you actually found True Blood? That is absolutely insane. I think I am still within my 30 day exchange period for Amazon. If I can find one of those, that would save some serious money.[/QUOTE]

Look for it in the next coming weeks.

I went to 8 Big Lots last weekend in central FL & picked up:

Thundercats S1 V1 (1-6 disc) & S1 V2 (Disc 11 & 12)
Flintstones 1-5
Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm show
Blade the Series
Tales From the Crypt 1-4
Jacques Cousteau-River Explorations
Pinky & the Brain 1 & 2
Animaniacs 1 & 2
Popeye The Sailor 1933-1938
Batman vs Dracula (with 2 mini-figurines)
Batman-Tales of the Dark Knight & The Legend Begins (2-pack)
Appleseed Ex Machina

Still looking for Powerpuff Girls though.

[quote name='purplekitty']I went to 8 Big Lots last weekend in central FL & picked up:

Flintstones 1-5
Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm show
Blade the Series
Tales From the Crypt 1-4
Pinky & the Brain 1 & 2
Animaniacs 1 & 2
Appleseed Ex Machina

Still looking for Powerpuff Girls though.[/QUOTE]

Are you looking to trade Blade the Series? :)

[quote name='HydroX']Are you looking to trade Blade the Series? :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it now belongs to my husband to complete his Blade collection. It's the only one I've seen in all of my Big Lots travels but if I come across another one I will let you know. I, like almost everybody else here, check Big Lots daily. ;)

[quote name='purplekitty']I went to 8 Big Lots last weekend in central FL & picked up:

Flintstones 1-5
Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm show
Blade the Series
Tales From the Crypt 1-4
Pinky & the Brain 1 & 2
Animaniacs 1 & 2
Appleseed Ex Machina

Still looking for Powerpuff Girls though.[/QUOTE]

Whereabouts in Central FL? I've mostly been checking the Kissimmee, St. Cloud, and OBT locations; also made a trip to some of the Orlando locations last week (not sure which ones off top of my head through). Seen most of what you have listed there.

Newest things I've seen today were a new 6.00 shipment, Tracy Takes On Season 2, Thundercats Season 2 Vol 2 (Big Box Set) and some Scooby Doo Box Sets that have 5 movies in it.

[quote name='JediJames2']Whereabouts in Central FL? I've mostly been checking the Kissimmee, St. Cloud, and OBT locations; also made a trip to some of the Orlando locations last week (not sure which ones off top of my head through). Seen most of what you have listed there.[/QUOTE]

I made a round trip from Deland-Orange City-Sanford-Longwood- Casselberry-Orlando (Edgewater Dr)-Apopka-Eustis. My Big Lots joyride lasted 3 hours & probably cost me about $7.00 in gas but I guess it was worth it. It was like an scavenger hunt to figure out where the dvds are in different stores. No 2 stores are just alike.

Still looking for some extra Tales From The Crypt Season 1 & 7 and Flintstones 4-6, willing to buy or trade, let me know what you need.

[quote name='HydroX']Are you looking to trade Blade the Series? :)[/QUOTE]

I'll trade with you my "Blade Complete Series." PM me.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']The next batch appears to be HBO shows. Deadwood, Gilmore girls, and True Blood.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find this information?

True Blood seems a bit out of place on this list. Every other item that has been a part of the sale has been out for a fairly long time. True Blood was only released last 2 months ago. It generally takes much longer for something like that to move from a store to a liquidation store. Alot of places still have True Blood sitting in the New Release section.

The other two I could definitely see being part of the sale; however Gilmore Girls is a WB show not an HBO show.

im not sure where people are getting the info but animaniacs season 3, pinky and the brain season 3, and tales from the crypt season 7 have not to my knowledge been a part of this sale. at least not reported here.

If anyone has Tales from the Crypt 1,2,5,6 please let me know. i can't find them anywhere and would love them. i have a small trade list from BL and a bigger- non-biglots list. also willing to paypal. thanks!

Flintstones were abundant at my store I will prob be checking again today I'll pick up Some Flintstones if they are still there and you have something to trade.

Animal... I've reported a few times on this thread that I have bought Animaniacs 3 from this sale... Can't recall anyone reporting PATB 3 and have only seen TFTC 7 mentioned once or twice on DVD talk

[quote name='Animal7390']im not sure where people are getting the info but animaniacs season 3, pinky and the brain season 3, and tales from the crypt season 7 have not to my knowledge been a part of this sale. at least not reported here.[/QUOTE]

I found Tales from the Crypt season 7 at my local BigLots. I didn't pick it up--kind of regretting that, now...

Nothing today. Same old OC, everwood and night court. Ugh.........I bought one of those 10" personal fans for my desk though.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Here's the guy who found True Blood season 1 for $3

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9605268-post752.html[/QUOTE]

It would be really easy to just take one of those BL price stickers off something else and stick it on a True Blood pack just to eff with everyone.

Just sayin'...esp. since it seems the same guy claimed to have found a Heroes S1 for $3 at BL a while back. :???:

saw like five, season 2 of the flintstones

saw 2x of season 3,4,5 of tales of the crypt

saw a CRAPLOAD of **[failure of childhood moment]NICK***random movies of like Rocket Power, Ginger, Rugrats,
random batman animated movies the legend and the beginning,

i got avatar the last air bender book 1 vol1-5, book 2 vol 1-4

woo!! so glad on the avatar pick ups :D, $4 each though, but wahtever!

anyone seen avatar book 3 dvds yet?

Not related to Big Lots at all, but my Hanna Barbera collection continues to grow: FYE had the third Tom and Jerry collection for $5. :D

[quote name='lawdood']It would be really easy to just take one of those BL price stickers off something else and stick it on a True Blood pack just to eff with everyone.

Just sayin'...esp. since it seems the same guy claimed to have found a Heroes S1 for $3 at BL a while back. :???:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Given how new True Blood is - and how popular, too - I'm thinking that that one is BS until we get it confirmed by somebody else. Deadwood and Gilmore Girls, though, make at least some sense.

[quote name='Furashu']saw a CRAPLOAD of disney random movies of like Rocket Power, Ginger, Rugrats,[/QUOTE]

Nickelodeon and Disney aren't the same thing.

[quote name='lawdood']It would be really easy to just take one of those BL price stickers off something else and stick it on a True Blood pack just to eff with everyone.

Just sayin'...esp. since it seems the same guy claimed to have found a Heroes S1 for $3 at BL a while back. :???:[/QUOTE]

That guy dont peel off stickers and that was not the only one who got heroes s1 for $3 there were like three in dvdtalk who found it.

and that guy was me

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Yeah. Given how new True Blood is - and how popular, too - I'm thinking that that one is BS until we get it confirmed by somebody else. Deadwood and Gilmore Girls, though, make at least some sense.[/QUOTE]

Was it BS because someone was able to obtain it and you dont?

Check out some previous post in that thread in the other forum... someone posted and saw it as well.

bread's done
Back