DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xage']Was it BS because someone was able to obtain it and you dont?[/QUOTE]

No, I think it's BS because True Blood came out on DVD two and a half months ago and is one of HBO's most popular shows. Most of the other sets we've seen have been MUCH older than that (case in point: the special offers in the Hanna Barbera sets expired in 2005), and given that True Blood is in Amazon's top twenty for DVD sales right now and probably has been since before it was released, I'm having trouble imagining a situation where just-released, popular box sets end up at outlet stores.

This wouldn't be the first time somebody has lied about a sale price before. I'm not saying that you are, but it wouldn't be too hard to move the price sticker by hand, or to do it in Photoshop.

xage its hard to believe, but good find !

dam LOL i was looking for avatar Book 2 : Volume 5 for like 20 minutes LOL

turns out it doesnt exist!

I found Cousteau's Amazon River set. Has anyone found any other versions of those sets? I would love any of those- I grew up watching these.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Not related to Big Lots at all, but my Hanna Barbera collection continues to grow: FYE had the third Tom and Jerry collection for $5. :D

Yeah. Given how new True Blood is - and how popular, too - I'm thinking that that one is BS until we get it confirmed by somebody else. Deadwood and Gilmore Girls, though, make at least some sense.

Nickelodeon and Disney aren't the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Heroes S1 is believable too, since I paid under $15 around Black Friday last year. True Blood definitely does not sound believable.

I get your point, but there were like 3 there until I got one.

I dont do foolish stuff deceiving other consumers on my findings. You may doubt me on it, but I do stand on what I got .

Ive been in the DVD hunting for quite long and this is not the first of its kind of bargain treasures I got. There are more low cost deals out there.

Try checking DVDtalk , another member saw True Blood Season 1 at such low cost at Big Lots.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']No, I think it's BS because True Blood came out on DVD two and a half months ago and is one of HBO's most popular shows. Most of the other sets we've seen have been MUCH older than that (case in point: the special offers in the Hanna Barbera sets expired in 2005), and given that True Blood is in Amazon's top twenty for DVD sales right now and probably has been since before it was released, I'm having trouble imagining a situation where just-released, popular box sets end up at outlet stores.

This wouldn't be the first time somebody has lied about a sale price before. I'm not saying that you are, but it wouldn't be too hard to move the price sticker by hand, or to do it in Photoshop.[/QUOTE]

New one I've seen - The Ben Stiller Show for $3. It's the Fox version (1992-1993), and includes all 13 episodes.

Warner Bros. Sues Company a California-based company it had contracted to destroy two million surplus DVDs, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The suit alleges that IWMB did not destroy the merchandise, but instead sold the surplus DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to a third party, who sold them at significantly discounted prices. It is estimated that 750,000 of the stolen discs were sold, and 250,000 remain unaccounted for.

Do you think this is related to the Big Lots/Warner sale?

[quote name='rochaps']Warner Bros. Sues Company a California-based company it had contracted to destroy two million surplus DVDs, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The suit alleges that IWMB did not destroy the merchandise, but instead sold the surplus DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to a third party, who sold them at significantly discounted prices. It is estimated that 750,000 of the stolen discs were sold, and 250,000 remain unaccounted for.

Do you think this is related to the Big Lots/Warner sale?[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='rochaps']Warner Bros. Sues Company a California-based company it had contracted to destroy two million surplus DVDs, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The suit alleges that IWMB did not destroy the merchandise, but instead sold the surplus DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to a third party, who sold them at significantly discounted prices. It is estimated that 750,000 of the stolen discs were sold, and 250,000 remain unaccounted for.

Gentlemen, as per the language in the article...I think we may be buying stolen DVDs. :lol:

That quote says two million were supposed to be destroyed, 750,000 were sold, and 250,000 are unaccounted for. That leaves a million the article doesn't mention. Not sold but accounted for, maybe?

I guess this signals the end of the box set era at Big Lots. It's a damn shame - letting them go for cheap has got to be better than just destroying them. I know they've made me happy, and I'm not alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chances we're all buying stolen DVD's: 99%.

"July 29, 2009
Warner Bros. lawsuit claims $10 million loss in brazen DVD theft

By Matthew Belloni

The home video arm of Warner Bros. has filed a $10 million lawsuit against a company the studio says agreed to destroy 2 million surplus DVDs but instead turned around and sold them on the cheap.

The complaint, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleges that Agoura Hills-based IWMB, Inc. and its president, Cal Jones, were subcontracted to dispose of the excess Warner Home Video DVDs and Blu-Rays but intead hawked them to a third party who put them on the market at discount prices that significantly undercut legit retailers. At least 750,000 of the stolen units were sold and 250,000 remain unaccounted for, according to the lawsuit.

Studios periodically destroy excess DVD product, which consists of unsold discs returned from vendors and defective goods. Here, WHV says it entrusted the product to Cinram Distribution, which has a deal with Warners to handle excess inventory (and which, surprisingly, is not a defendant). Cinram subcontracted with IWMB, which is alleged to have shown Warners a "fraudulent certificate of destruction" before going out and selling the DVDs and Blu-Rays on its own.

"The resale of the Warner Product at prices that undercut the prevailing wholesale and retail prices resulted in a substantial loss of revenue to WHV, believed to exceed $10 million," the complaint says. WHV alleges fraud, conversion and violation of California's business code. It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product.

Neither IWMB nor Jones could be reached for comment.

Warners is repped in the case by White O'Connor partners Andrew White and David Fink and associate Hajir Ardebili."

http://www.thresq.com/2009/07/warner-bros-dvd-theft-lawsuit.html

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Someone else said they seen it as well so I don't know. We have to wait until the next batch comes in.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's going to be a next batch now. If Big Lots wants to avoid any potential legal action, pulling the DVDs from the shelves and stopping any future shipments is in their best interest. They probably had no idea where the DVDs were intended to go, but they'll definitely know now.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that everything we've had reported (including Hanna-Barbera and the rumored HBO sets) was distributed on DVD by Warner Brothers. That doesn't leave much doubt in my mind that the article is referring to these DVDs and Big Lots, and that Big Lots is going to be in trouble if they don't start playing nice with Warner Brothers.

"It seeks punitive damages as well as an injunction against further sale of the stolen product."

Big lots will probably be pulling these off the shelves quickly. Well, it was fun while it lasted. At least I got some TV shows for my collection. lol

I wish I could have gotten tales from the crypt though. I loved that show. Dammit.

They were going to destroy them? fuck that, I'm glad we're actually getting them and WATCHING THEM. "Stolen" or not, at least we're enjoying them.

It sucks that Warner was deceived if this really is the case, however there should also be a big fuck you out to Warner Home Video just for the fact that they would rather pay someone to destroy the discs than run their own sale and give them to their customers at reasonable prices. Hell if they wanted a tax loss donate them to a library or something.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I just sent an email to the corporate asking if this is true or not and what's gonna happen. I'll see what they say.[/QUOTE]

Big Lots will probably remain on the hush about it. They cant tell shoppers they bought stolen merchandise.

Warner would rather destroy the discs then sell them at $6 or even $10 which makes sense considering they retail them for $50-60

[quote name='georox']Truth be told, it is common business practice, just extremely wasteful. Rather stupid if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Why not donate to charity? Failing that, this sale has made it very clear that if you send it to a place like Big Lots, you won't have merchandise to worry about much longer.

I understand why they do it this way - to avoid devaluing the stock that isn't destroyed - but there are much better ways to handle it.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Big Lots will probably remain on the hush about it. They cant tell shoppers they bought stolen merchandise.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Going by the response I got on my letter I sent to them on the "customer service" I got at my BL along with mentioning they need a limit of how many people are buying just got a canned....

[quote name='Big Lots']Thank you for your feedback and we will send these comments to our Store Ops and Merch team[/quote]

... yeah, I really don't expect YeOldmario to get any reply.

I just realized that I never did post the letter I sent. Here it is:

I would like to write on you about the recent experiences I have had with Big Lots. In particular my location and how your company has handed the recent cheap DVD box sets. I want to say outright that if anything this can be an learning experience for your company going into the future with these sales.

I want to say outright that my location is the only Big Lots I have been to. I don't know if things are run like this amongst your company or if its just this location. Honestly I really feel there needs to be changes done. But let me get into what happened.

My first visit occurred on July 16th which was well into the advertised $6 box set sale. When I arrived to the store I found very slim pickings of what was left. I expected that. When I asked at the register if any more was expected to arrive I got a very condescending reply back from the woman saying "well we're a closeout store you should of been here Sunday." I don't even know what I did to trigger her to be that rude but I simply decided to drop the subject. On the way out I spotted another employee who I found out that the next shipment might be on the Friday truck. Sadly due to other commitments I would be unable to be there.

My second visit came this last Friday July 24th. I called ahead of time at around Noon CST to find out in particular if at least the NFL America's Game set might of been on the truck. I don't know how your company unloads trucks or if you are given an manifest of what might be on said truck but at least by Noon I would expect the store might have an idea on this. Anyways I called and asked if there was any box sets on today's truck. I was told that they didn't know yet. Okay understandable. I decided to ask maybe if she would have known at least if the store ever got in the NFL set. I gave her a quick description of the set to which without a word she put me on hold. Nothing said to me at all about being put on hold. After a minute (of which I expected to hear a dial tone) a guy then answered the phone. I started to explain the box set when he cut me off and rudely said to me "NO WE NEVER GOT THAT IN." Wow. Very unprofessional.

So since I planned on being in the area I figured I would stop by the store. It was at exactly 2 PM CST when I arrived. By now I would have assumed something would be known about the box sets. I looked around and only saw a few sets that weren't there the previous Thursday. I get the rest of the items I came to the store to get and once again found myself at the check out with the same woman from the previous week running things.

I get up to the front and once again asked about the box sets. She tells me that they are still unloading now a second truck. That's all fine and dandy but from what I observed while going around the store the few employees I saw putting product on the floor were very slow. Regardless I asked her if she could find out if the folks unloading the truck have seen any that haven't been put out. At this point she tried to insist that I should walk back there and find out. That's a big no no since the last time I checked she's your employee and is earning that paycheck. I couldn't believe she was expecting me to do her job. She must of read my face at that point since I was in a state of shock so she finally spotted one of the folks working on the truck. Nope nothing. I paid for the stuff I had and left feeling uncared for as a customer.

I know in the end you are a close out store. That's fine and I can deal with product not being available. Its how I have been treated as a customer over my last two visits and one phone call that makes me question doing business with Big Lots. Don't get me wrong the values you have are great on many products. But when you are treated in a manner of disrespect no matter how good the deals can be you just don't want to go there after being walked on.

On a closing note I also would like to mention that as a company you really need to set a limit as to how many copies of a box set per customer can purchase. I have seen many people complaining online about a few people who would stuff their cart full right after the store gets restocked. These people are turning around and reselling these box sets for profit through various online sites such as Amazon and the like. Its making things very unfair for everyone else when a few people can buy up everything. Why even bother putting things in the ad when you allow this?

Anyways thank you for your time in this manner. I really hope if anything this can be a learning lesson for you as a company.

WOW...so the old saying is true about "If it sounds too good to be true"...

And this would explain a few odd things about this sale. Why the unwrapped Flintstones DVDs? Why is that Powerpuff Girls DVD set included as it was just released in January 2009 for crying out loud? And the prices? Waaaay too cheap. I don't think any store has ever sold so many different box sets so cheaply ever! We got one hell of a deal and that should have raised red flags. I honestly did not think too much about it as I get anime DVDs there nearly every other month for $3.00 each and I thought that is what they felt all cartoons was worth, about $3.00 a pop.

Recall how the first batch was $6.00 and the second batch $3.00? I thought that was really odd as I would have gladly bought the same DVDs for $6.00 a pop. I'd wager the big wigs at Big Lots knew they had super hot merchandise and they had to get rid of it fast before a lawsuit caught up with them forcing them to give it back. Well at least all those Joeys will be going to where they belong, in a landfill next to those Atari 2600 ET carts. One day Mother Earth will punish us for burying such toxic waste. LOL!

Now I honestly don't know if I should return the extra Superfriends DVD set that I bought. I rather give it to a friend than know it'll be trashed in a landfill. What a horrible thing to do to any non-Joey DVD set. LOL

[quote name='fairyland']

Now I honestly don't know if I should return the extra Superfriends DVD set that I bought. I rather give it to a friend than know it'll be trashed in a landfill. What a horrible thing to do to any non-Joey DVD set. LOL[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I had a few sets that were set to go back... Now I guess I'll keep them and trade them. No sense in turning them in only to have them go to a landfill.

If anyone sees Flintstones Seasons 1 and 2, I'd love to either trade or paypal for them. I doubt if we'll see any other boxes get unloaded.

And if ANYONE sees an extra America's Game 40 Disc set, I have some very tempting trade bait (PPG, anyone? ;) )

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

I'm still hitting up the BigLots near me to see if they still have stuff up on the shelfs in the morning though (was told that on Monday about when to come back by one of the CS reps).

Well, that kind've sucks. I just wanted to find a complete Wonder Woman set, but my local store(s) never received any seasons of the show.

If anyone has one they were planning on returning, I can't stand to think of Lynda Carter being resigned to a trash heap. I'm afraid I don't have anything to trade, but I'd be willing to Paypal for it.

[quote name='evilsuperman33']I saw the Gargoyles cartoon today while i was browsing at biglots in Lawton, ok. I also saw the season 1 v 1 of Thundercats and season 2 volume 1 thundercats.[/QUOTE]

Did you pick up Gargoyles? If so, what season and is it up for grabs?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']No, I think it's BS because True Blood came out on DVD two and a half months ago and is one of HBO's most popular shows. Most of the other sets we've seen have been MUCH older than that (case in point: the special offers in the Hanna Barbera sets expired in 2005), and given that True Blood is in Amazon's top twenty for DVD sales right now and probably has been since before it was released, I'm having trouble imagining a situation where just-released, popular box sets end up at outlet stores.

This wouldn't be the first time somebody has lied about a sale price before. I'm not saying that you are, but it wouldn't be too hard to move the price sticker by hand, or to do it in Photoshop.[/QUOTE]

Dude, does not still make sense on your end?

The term surplus and about a million were scattered and resold to retailers

there is a good probability that surplus release of True Blood (which is overly produced due to big demand) have entere the realm of Big Lots.

Thus invalidated your statement above and more valid on your statement below.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Gentlemen, as per the language in the article...I think we may be buying stolen DVDs. :lol:

That quote says two million were supposed to be destroyed, 750,000 were sold, and 250,000 are unaccounted for. That leaves a million the article doesn't mention. Not sold but accounted for, maybe?

I guess this signals the end of the box set era at Big Lots. It's a damn shame - letting them go for cheap has got to be better than just destroying them. I know they've made me happy, and I'm not alone.[/QUOTE]

I didn't pick it up but believe it was SEason 1. the lady told me more dvds were being unloaded tonight and they would be in the store in teh am. I'm gonna be there at open. I'm trying to get lois adn clark 1-4 for my sister bday.

We did nothing wrong and neither did Big Lots. They were deceived about the merchandise by IWMB. Yeah, it sucks that we'll never see an event like this again, and it turned out they weren't legitmately sold to BL, but no reason for us to feel guilty or hate Big Lots for it.

[quote name='evilsuperman33']I didn't pick it up but believe it was SEason 1. the lady told me more dvds were being unloaded tonight and they would be in the store in teh am. I'm gonna be there at open. I'm trying to get lois adn clark 1-4 for my sister bday.[/QUOTE]

I have Lois and Clark S1 and S3 and would gladly trade both for any Gargoyle season you can find. And if you can find more than one, I would absolutely buy them from you. That is an amazing find.

EDIT: In fact I had already PMd you regarding the S1 and S3. I am going back tomorrow on the bright and will check for additional Lois and Clarks for you.

Found a copy of the Ben Stiller Show. For 3 bucks, can't go wrong. I REALLY hope I find a True Blood... Seems too good to be true, but at this point, I wouldn't be shocked to find any sets there for cheap.

I went today and finally found a Thundercats boxset! I picked up some sets for trade to hook up some cags that were unable to find certain sets. I have these for trade. Let me know within the next couple days if you want to do a trade since if there is no interest I am returning them to the store.

--Challenge of the Super Friends first season sealed
--Animaniacs Volume 1 sealed
--Flintstones second season not sealed (but then again none of the ones I came across were sealed)
--Super Friends the Legendary Super Powers Show Complete Series
--Thundercats Season 2 Volume 2 Big Box sealed
--Thundercats Season one Volume 2 (small box) (disk 9 and 10)
--The Best of the New Scooby Doo Movies Golden Collection Volume 1
--Also Have Super Bowl XXI-XXX Boxset (This one I may keep not sure yet)

Saw something today tha I dont think anybody has mentioned. 1st & Ten Complete Series. Its an HBO sports comedy show. Anybody interested?? BTW what would be a fair price to sell these dvs to fellow CAGs?? Check my post on the dvd trade thread if u will.

I think I'm going to head out tomorrow morning check my store. I spend a few hours garage saling and at the gym before I check again.

[quote name='Furashu']man i just got in this thing and its gonna end now!?[/QUOTE]

you might be able to grab a few of the left overs, hurry up though

[quote name='Cmosfm']This thread just got amazing. Now I feel glad I hoarded so many.[/QUOTE]

You should never feel "glad" for hoarding.

bread's done
Back