Dvd or Blu-ray?

pacemakerguy

CAGiversary!
ok i'm saving up for a HD tv well i don't need help with that. what i do is the DVD player now should i get a DVD player that is a HD upgrader that when u put a regular dvd in it, it makes it a better picture and looks HD or blu-ray.
only problem with blu-ray is i don't have the money for one and if i get one which is better a regular blu-ray dvd play or ps3?
thanks
and by the way i'm gonna buy all my stuff on black friday. so help

Well, if you want to get the true HD experience then blu-ray is the way to go. If you don't mind watching your movies in a lesser quality, then just go with the upconverter.

If you do decided to go with blu-ray, then definitely get the PS3. Best blu-ray player for the price, plus it can play games and all of your DVDs, too.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']now should i get a DVD player that is a HD upgrader that when u put a regular dvd in it, it makes it a better picture and looks HD or blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

#-o

I bought an HDTV last summer, and just bought an upconverting player to go with it at the time. I've still not upgraded to Bluray, and have no real desire to.

I'm not a videophile and blu ray players and especially discs are just too pricey since I'm fine with the quality of upconverted DVDs.

When Bluray players get in the $150-200 range for a decent one and discs are launching at $15-20 like DVDs I'll think about taking the plunge.

Go with a BD player. Most or all should upconvert DVDs to a higher picture quality. I would go with the PS3 for the fact that you can play games on it also or if you can find one for a good price I also suggest the LG super blue BH200. That is if you can find it for around 400 after tax. Then you can watch HD DVDs also and some times can find them cheap online and the BD versions will chances are be the same only for 2-4 times as much.

PS3. The sheer number of settings, both standard viewers and for videophiles, is pretty impressive. Don't let the fact it's primarily a game console scare you away.

The upconverter is nice. You can even scale up with a simple 2x multiplier, so you have black bars around all sides but minimal artifacts from the upscaling. Another nice thing is the bluetooth remote for it is only like $15 now, probably cheaper if you picked one up from Gamestop used. Upconverting players are a waste of money if you do intend on eventually shifting to Blu-Ray, as you will just wind up having to buy more hardware down the road.

save your money and hold off. You said you currently don't have enough to buy a blu ray. As long as your current dvd player doesn't look like shit on your new tv, then save your money. I am still not convined that blu ray is going to be the HD format of choice a couple of years from now. IMO it will go the way of laserdisc. Besides the fact that blu rays penetration into the market is going poorly (yes the first year they were ahead of dvd, but it has died since hd dvd died) and the fact that most analyst are predicting doom and gloom for the economy untill the end of next year (people aren't going to be dropping money they don't have on blu ray) then it will be at least 2 years untill the sales of blu ray movies increase to good levels. Maybe by then digital distribution will be in full swing, who knows?

i totally agree with ryanbph....upscale looks fine to me at this point in time thought not as good as bluray. i cannot warrant the extra cost on the bluray discs at this time. also, not every thing is available on bluray....try the oppo dvd players (google)...they are unbelievable !!!!!

[quote name='CODEWERKX']i totally agree with ryanbph....upscale looks fine to me at this point in time thought not as good as bluray. i cannot warrant the extra cost on the bluray discs at this time. also, not every thing is available on bluray....try the oppo dvd players (google)...they are unbelievable !!!!![/QUOTE]

You can always rent Bluray discs from both Netflix and Blockbuster. For a number of titles coming out that will hold me over until I can pick up those said titles for cheap. Of course there are titles such as Wall-E and Dark Knight that are certainly new day must buys but for some stuff such as... say..... The Incredible Hulk are worthy rentals but not worth spending $30 on.

Another option if you want to get into HD media cheap as get an HD-DVD player. There are still tons of titles to be had for cheap and the quality on many of them are just as good as their Bluray counterparts.

I won't argue on Oppo players. They are quality players and its great to see machines that support SACD/DVD-Audio still on the market. Too bad Oppo still hasn't done one that also does Blu/HD. That would be THE killer player to own for sure. :D

It's your money, so do what you are most comfortable with but I would offer you this analogy. If you bought a name-brand, state-of-the-art stereo receiver, would you buy Insignia (Best Buy in-house brand) speakers to go with it? If so, then go with the upconverting DVD player. If you want to maximize the performance of your equipment, you might want to get higher end speakers (Polk, Bose, etc.) to go with it and in like fashion, for your HDTV, you should get a blu-ray player. They are coming down in price over the next few months, as low as $149. Google "$149 blu-ray" and you'll see. Lots of Black Friday deals to be had as well. As far as adoption goes, there are arguments both ways but Target recently increased their BD shelf space and Wal-mart is reducing CD floor space in favor of Blu-ray. Iron Man BD sales were off the charts and the upcoming release of The Dark Knight is anticipated to be huge. I have both a BD player and an upconverting DVD player. The higher end, better produced DVDs do look very good upconverted, but the Blu-Rays are almost always noticeably better. Older DVDs show little to no improvement upconverted. I have no intention of replacing my entire DVD collection, but for anything new that comes out I will get on BD. Good luck.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I won't argue on Oppo players. They are quality players and its great to see machines that support SACD/DVD-Audio still on the market. Too bad Oppo still hasn't done one that also does Blu/HD. That would be THE killer player to own for sure. :D[/quote]

Lets not forget that their THE best for PAL to NTSC conversion and are totally region free. Though, thats probably what is stopping them from doing even a blu ray player, Demo.

Well this Saturday Walmart is doing a PS3 with a free $100 gift card.. thats probably the best deal you will find this season and its a great Blu Player, you an be sure it will be kept up to date as well.

Otherwise get the TV first. There is a difference but the reality is it depends on what types of movies your watching. CG look outstanding and I prefer the action movies on Blu. The other drama, love, etc can stay on regular when I rent. I only by blu if I am going to buy now though. No sense in buying a dying format... unless its HDDVD!

[quote name='ryanbph']save your money and hold off. You said you currently don't have enough to buy a blu ray. As long as your current dvd player doesn't look like shit on your new tv, then save your money. I am still not convined that blu ray is going to be the HD format of choice a couple of years from now. IMO it will go the way of laserdisc. Besides the fact that blu rays penetration into the market is going poorly (yes the first year they were ahead of dvd, but it has died since hd dvd died) and the fact that most analyst are predicting doom and gloom for the economy untill the end of next year (people aren't going to be dropping money they don't have on blu ray) then it will be at least 2 years untill the sales of blu ray movies increase to good levels. Maybe by then digital distribution will be in full swing, who knows?[/quote]I can't disagree enough. Blu-ray is here to stay as THE HD medium. ISPs are already getting bitchy about bandwidth because of P2P and video streaming sites. Can you imagine what'll happen if everyone decides to download full HD movies? They'll most likely traffic shape the hell out of it, making it so slow that most people won't bother. Also, as unbelievable as it may sound, a lot of people still don't have high speed connections, meaning large downloads simply aren't an option.

What kills the PS3 for me, aside from the fact that I don't need/want one (no time for a second console, and dont' much dig the exclusive games anyway) for gaming is they made the stupid remote for it blue tooth. Thus my harmony remote, which I love, won't work with it. Sounds silly, but that's a deal breaker for me. If I do eventually take the Blu Ray plunge, it won't be with the PS3.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I can't disagree enough. Blu-ray is here to stay as THE HD medium. ISPs are already getting bitchy about bandwidth because of P2P and video streaming sites. Can you imagine what'll happen if everyone decides to download full HD movies? They'll most likely traffic shape the hell out of it, making it so slow that most people won't bother. Also, as unbelievable as it may sound, a lot of people still don't have high speed connections, meaning large downloads simply aren't an option.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, download only is a long, long way from being the main delivery format for those reasons....especially that broadband speeds are still not great and a ton of the country doesn't even have broad band access.

So BR isn'g going away anytime soon. However, it may just remain a niche with DVD as the main format indefinitely. That would likely keep disc prices well above DVD prices and keep it more or less like Laserdisc in the since that it's a pricey niche product for home theater enthusiasts. Great for them, but I'd still pass as I'm just not willing to pay a premium for BR discs as upconverted DVDs look more than good enough for me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']What kills the PS3 for me, aside from the fact that I don't need/want one (no time for a second console, and dont' much dig the exclusive games anyway) for gaming is they made the stupid remote for it blue tooth. Thus my harmony remote, which I love, won't work with it. Sounds silly, but that's a deal breaker for me. If I do eventually take the Blu Ray plunge, it won't be with the PS3.[/quote]

Spoiled much are we? I use my DVRs remote for the DVR, changing the volume on my receiver( have it locked to only that for any and all volume), changing the inputs on my TV and the inputs on my receiver (whacked layout though). I'm use to multiple remotes anyhow. Besides, I prefer to still have whatever units specific remote as some universal remotes can't do specific functions (unless you pay out the ass for a learning one and such). But don't let the fact about the remote scare you off. After all you can still use the controller...

Harmony remotes can do everything, so that's an issue. But yes they're pricey, I bought one of the cheaper models and it was $80. But it was well worth it to have a remote that can control any function on any device. Spoiled? Yes, but I wouldn't go back to anything less.

But like I said, that's not the only reason I won't buy a PS3. I just have no need for the gaming function as I don't have nearly enough time to even keep up on 360 games, and besides there aren't any personal "must plays" among the Sony exclusives for me.. And I don't really want to support the PS3 after Sony launched at $500-600 to force Blu Ray on the market, and arrogantly said shit like people would work an extra part time job to afford one etc. Shit rubbed me the wrong way. So if I do take the BR plunge down the road, it will not be with a PS3.

But it's probably moot anyway, as I don't see player and disc prices getting into the ranges in noted above anytime soon, and I have no interest in paying a premium for HD movies as I'm fine with upconverted DVDs as I'm not a videophile.

When I first used my blu-ray player I was expecting a night-and-day difference. Well, it wasn't. Noticeably better, but I wasn't "wowed" as I thought I'd be. However, it's something you grow to appreciate with time, and the more I watch HD content the harder it is to go back to DVD.

TV size is likely a major factor. If mine were larger (it's 40") it would probably have had a more immediate impact. Smaller, and I probably wouldn't have bothered. Cost isn't a major factor imo. I paid $260 for mine (with coupon) and it doubles as a great upconverter. Discs, if you get them on sale, are only a few dollars more than equivalent SD versions.

[quote name='dmaul1114']What kills the PS3 for me, aside from the fact that I don't need/want one (no time for a second console, and dont' much dig the exclusive games anyway) for gaming is they made the stupid remote for it blue tooth. Thus my harmony remote, which I love, won't work with it. Sounds silly, but that's a deal breaker for me. If I do eventually take the Blu Ray plunge, it won't be with the PS3.

...[/QUOTE]

This is the same thing that I hate about the PS3. I want to get one of them remotes but will still have to use something else for the PS3 unless one comes out that works with blue tooth. Someone one this site suggested to me to just buy a remote for the PS3 from a 3rd party. Seeing how they don't make 3rd party remotes or didn't at the time make them that were blue tooth they came with a usb cable that had an rf adapter to it. Then I could use a harmony remote with the PS3. It is a little much just to use one with the PS3 and to me is a waste of money but is an option.

I just use the dualshock 3. You hit triangle and the menu pops up. X is play/pause. Forward reverse etc.. Simple enough, no?

It's also heavily reviewed as the best blu-ray player available by most places. Plus you get the firmware updates. So, it will always be up-to-date.

[quote name='sendme']This is the same thing that I hate about the PS3. I want to get one of them remotes but will still have to use something else for the PS3 unless one comes out that works with blue tooth. Someone one this site suggested to me to just buy a remote for the PS3 from a 3rd party. Seeing how they don't make 3rd party remotes or didn't at the time make them that were blue tooth they came with a usb cable that had an rf adapter to it. Then I could use a harmony remote with the PS3. It is a little much just to use one with the PS3 and to me is a waste of money but is an option.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its like $15 by nyko (i believe) and its just a stub, no cable or anything.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Lets not forget that their THE best for PAL to NTSC conversion and are totally region free. Though, thats probably what is stopping them from doing even a blu ray player, Demo.[/QUOTE]

The LG BH-200 can be easily region hacked for Bluray titles plus can handle PAL to NTSC as well. So I can't imagine region free being the reason why Oppo wouldn't do a Blu/HD player at this point of time. My guess is more of cost reasons and lack of demand for said unit at this time. But who knows..... I'd love to see Oppo do a sweet Blu/HD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD unit. I'd buy one for sure. :drool:

[quote name='pacemakerguy']...should i get a DVD player that is a HD upgrader that when u put a regular dvd in it, it makes it a better picture and looks HD or blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

LOL, no. DVD upscaling does not result in an image that's even remotely comparable to HD (Blu-ray, whatever). It just stretches the SD image; you can't add detail to an image, that wasn't already there.

Here are some comparisons between upscaled DVDs, and Blu-Rays:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=811102

Or just look here:
King Kong DVD upscaled:
ebc27d68.png

King Kong HD:
KKhddvd19.jpg

Speed Racer DVD upscaled:
dbae84ec.png

Speed Racer Blu-Ray:
ea292366.png

There is NO comparison. Why on earth would you buy an HDTV, and not immediately get an HD player to go with it?

There are workarounds for the Harmony remote. There's an IR remote (by Nyko, I think) that uses a USB dongle. You can buy that remote for about what the Sony remote costs, throw the Nyko remote in the trash, and just keep that dongle to use with your Harmony.

[quote name='Demolition Man']The LG BH-200 can be easily region hacked for Bluray titles plus can handle PAL to NTSC as well. So I can't imagine region free being the reason why Oppo wouldn't do a Blu/HD player at this point of time. My guess is more of cost reasons and lack of demand for said unit at this time. But who knows..... I'd love to see Oppo do a sweet Blu/HD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD unit. I'd buy one for sure. :drool:[/quote]

Damn, never knew that.

I all ready have a PS3 as well as the HDDVD add on, so really all I need is a basic Oppo. I'm still dying to get a 20+ disc Laurel and Hardy set imported from the UK

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
There is NO comparison. Why on earth would you buy an HDTV, and not immediately get an HD player to go with it?[/QUOTE]

Not everyone is a videophile. I got an HDTV as I wanted a 50" TV, and anything near that size is HD now. Being HD was just the icing on the cake.

BR does look a good deal better than upconverted DVD, but not enough for me personally to shell out current prices for players and especially for discs since I'm not an A/V enthusiast and just don't care that much.

I watch movies because I enjoy them. As long as they're in original aspect ratio I'm pretty much good to go.

You guys that "can't see enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade".. what movies are you watching on Blu-Ray? There's some out there that don't have much of a difference at all (Punisher, Terminator), then there are some that are like night and day (Silent Hill, Rataouille, Cars).

The main difference to me is audio. BR's are crystal clear and are now, for the most part, including uncompressed audio tracks, which makes a HUGE difference on movies like Vacancy. The PQ upgrade is nice, but subtle on most movies. For instance, Kill Bill looked a little better, but the audio quality was insane.

There's a local store near me that sells Blu-Ray movies brand new for $19.99, used for even less (around $15, some as cheap as $10) so that may be a huge reason why I pick up more BR than anything else.

Yeah you can find good deals on blu-rays. I got the original Dawn of the Dead for $8 using google checkout and buy.com. If you look around price really isn't much different from dvd if at all.

[quote name='Scorch']You guys that "can't see enough of a difference to warrant the upgrade".. what movies are you watching on Blu-Ray? There's some out there that don't have much of a difference at all (Punisher, Terminator), then there are some that are like night and day (Silent Hill, Rataouille, Cars).

The main difference to me is audio. BR's are crystal clear and are now, for the most part, including uncompressed audio tracks, which makes a HUGE difference on movies like Vacancy. The PQ upgrade is nice, but subtle on most movies. For instance, Kill Bill looked a little better, but the audio quality was insane.

There's a local store near me that sells Blu-Ray movies brand new for $19.99, used for even less (around $15, some as cheap as $10) so that may be a huge reason why I pick up more BR than anything else.[/QUOTE]

The difference is there. Again, I just don't care much about audio and video quality. Not enough to pay more than DVD for them. The main reason I got into DVD back in the day was for no rewinding, instant scene access, movies available in original aspect ratio, and extra features. Not the picture or sound quality.

When BR players are under $200 for a good one, discs are launching at $15-20 and routinely on sale for $5-10 like DVD I'll give it more thought.

Otherwise, it's just not worth it for someone like me who just likes movies and doesn't get off on pic quality or audio quality. Those matter, and I've seen the difference as my brother has HD-DVD and a PS3, but upconverted DVDs are fine for me and I've never cared much about sound. Still using a 9 or so year old Sony home theater in a box 5.1 system with no plans of upgrading anything any time soon.

I never get why people are so defensive of the HD formats. I guess it's just that they want to see BR succeed and catch on in the mainstream, which I guess I can understand since they love the format since they're videophiles and have put a lot of money into it.

But the fact is most people just don't give that much a shit about a/v quality and just watch movies to watch movies.

But really, there's no need to keep going in circles on this. Some people care a lot about picture and sound quality and will pay more for it, some don't and won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']Not everyone is a videophile. I got an HDTV as I wanted a 50" TV, and anything near that size is HD now. Being HD was just the icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think it takes a videophile to appreciate the difference in something like, say, Speed Racer. Whatever. If you like blurry video, that's cool.

I know that standalone players are still pretty pricey, but people who have decently fast PCs can just buy Blu-Ray disc drives for their PCs (seriously, you can get one for $85 on Newegg) and use the HDTV-outputs that any modern video card will have to watch their discs on their HDTVs. I'd think that people that can afford 50" TV shouldn't have problems with Blu-ray prices, but, what do I know...

The difference in quality between DVD and Blu-ray is noticeable. While DVD prices appear crazily low, Blu-ray prices have also dropped a few bucks. But yes, it's simple: DVD, if you only have a DVD player. Blu-ray, if you have a Blu-ray player and don't mind paying higher prices.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I really don't think it takes a videophile to appreciate the difference in something like, say, Speed Racer. Whatever. If you like blurry video, that's cool.
[/QUOTE]

I see the difference, I just don't care that much. I just like watching movies, not stroking my cock over how good the picture and sound is. That's what I mean by not being a videophile.

Of course I can see the difference, and if price was equal (or much closer) I'd have a BR player and be buying discs. But I don't care enough to buy a standalone player (again no interest in a PS3 and I'd never have a PC in my home theater) nor Blu Ray discs at the current price points. And yes I can afford a BR player, just like I could afford a 50" TV. Though to be fair I got a good deal last summer on a Sony 50" LCP RPTV for $999.99, so it wasn't a ton of change. It's just not worth it to me at current costs, both because I don't care that much and I've been busy, and gaming more in my limited free time, thus I've barely watching my DVD collection or netflix rentals for the past year or so anyway. I simply don't need or want BR enough to jump in at current costs. It's not a budget issues.

Others care a ton about having the best picture and sound quality and have no problem paying the extra cost as they think it's well worth it. To each their own.

Why spend $400 on a PS3 (most TRU's are out of the $300 40gb), when you can get a standalone for half that? Amazon has the Samsung BD-P1500 for around $205 shipped (no tax). That's only about $100 more than a good upconverting DVD player, and well worth it, in my opinion. Works with your Harmony remote (another must-own item). BD's cost a little more if you are buying movies, but you can upgrade Netflix to BD for $1/mo. Get your HDMI cables from Monoprice, and then you are truly a CAG!

Well, I got a PS3 for free through Airplay.com and I mainly just rent BDs from Netflix or get some free ones through the internet, so I am definitely have to go with the PS3.

I really like movies, and with a 50" Sony Bravia, Blu-Ray looks amazing!

When I first got into HD video I couldn't tell much of a difference atleast not to justify the price of the normal DVD and HD/BD. I can tell more of a difference not but unless you can get the BD for a little over the price of the DVD it is not worth it. Atleast not for the average movie watch. Most of my BD/HD dvds are from by x get y free/z amount off, or with rewardzone points from Best Buy. Few of them I have paid full price for. Most the HD were from when it died and places online had fire sales. Even still their are some that I will never get on BD/HD due to the fact that the BD/HD lack some extras. For my older movies I have no plan on buying in HD/BD unless I can get a really good deal on and that is 10 bucks or less, 5 or less for HD unless I really like the movie. My BH200 does a great job with upconversion and all I'm running is composite.

For me I will pass up HD/BD for extras if they have them on the standard disc and not on the BD/HD. For example Serenity. That set had more then the HD however the HD was around the same price when I got it. Also Stargate. It was about 10 bucks less for the SD version and the SD had 1 or 2 extras then the BD.

Why should one pay more for just better sound and audio. If I'm going to pay 25-30 bucks for a movie I want all the extras the SD version has and the better video and audio.

I have to say 90% of the newer movies I have bought have been BD however most are not day one buys for me and I hold off a deal or rewardzone points. I love the HD formats (HD/BD) however unless the are less then 10 bucks the older movies are just not worth it for me.

For someone just getting into the HD formats I think the BH200 is a great buy and look online for HD DVDs and buy them if you can find them cheap. Then if you want to check out BD later you have a BD player. Only bad thing is I'm not sure if LG is going to keep updating it. If anything get a BD player that is not much more then a dvd player that upconverts. Then you get an upconverter and later you can get BD dvds to play on it. If you get an upconverter then when the players come down even more and the BD discs come down even more you will have to get a BD player that does everything that your upconverter does and more. I would just buy the BD player and rent the BD movies or if I could find them cheap enough buy it then.

I think a few people here aren't really seeing the benefits of Blu-Ray...

I decided to get a PS3 and stop buying DVDs because for only 5-7 bucks more per movie, which isn't a lot at all, I get it in high-def.

I used to think HD-DVD was the better format, even though I supported both, until I heard the difference in the DD 5.1 tracks and the HD-MA audio tracks... the difference is mind blowing. Blu-Ray is a movie fan's nirvana.

If that makes me an audio and videophile than so be it. I think it's definitely worth the 15% more money I spend to have the best viewing experience available.

The question I have for you is what size HDTV are you going to get. Because Most up-converting DVD players now a days can upconvert to 720p and 1080i no problem. So if you are going to get a TV that smaller than 42 inches, you won't be able to tell the difference between 720p/1080i and full 1080p HD.

So the bottom line is if you get a 42+ inch TV, go with blu-ray. If you are getting a TV that's smaller than 42 inches, get a up-converting DVD player.

[quote name='Sporadic']You're just a crazy videophile.

DVD is perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Are you being sarcastic?

Because seriously, just look at How the West Was Won. On the DVD, you can't read the "All Points West" sign, and on the BR, you can.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I see the difference, I just don't care that much. I just like watching movies, not stroking my cock over how good the picture and sound is. That's what I mean by not being a videophile.[/quote]
Goddamn dude, why are you bringing philias and masturbation into this? I don't recall putting it in terms like that, or even gloating that I'm some kind of snooty video enthusiast or something. I just linked some pics showing how subjectively superior native HD image can be (for most movies). Call it "videophilia" if you want. The fact is, it's images with about 7 times as much detail, and I can appreciate that. Most people can.

And now you're trying to act like some kind of simpleton purist or something with this "I just like watching movies bit." Fine, but who could possibly say anything against watching movies that look better? Anyone would rather watch movies on a 32" color SDTV than a 5" black-and-white one, so, no one can ack like they enjoy the movie equally, no matter what they're watching it on.

I also enjoy the internet, but I really appreciate browsing it at 1280x960, instead of 640x480. That doesn't make me an internetphile.

Of course I can see the difference, and if price was equal (or much closer) I'd have a BR player and be buying discs. But I don't care enough to buy a standalone player (again no interest in a PS3 and I'd never have a PC in my home theater) nor Blu Ray discs at the current price points. And yes I can afford a BR player, just like I could afford a 50" TV. Though to be fair I got a good deal last summer on a Sony 50" LCP RPTV for $999.99, so it wasn't a ton of change. It's just not worth it to me at current costs, both because I don't care that much and I've been busy, and gaming more in my limited free time, thus I've barely watching my DVD collection or netflix rentals for the past year or so anyway. I simply don't need or want BR enough to jump in at current costs. It's not a budget issues.
You know, originally, I was just pointing out that native HD looks a hell of a lot better than upscaled DVDs. That's all the OP needs to know.

[quote name='rayee6']The question I have for you is what size HDTV are you going to get. Because Most up-converting DVD players now a days can upconvert to 720p and 1080i no problem. So if you are going to get a TV that smaller than 42 inches, you won't be able to tell the difference between 720p/1080i and full 1080p HD.[/quOTE]

Yeah, but you can still probably tell the difference between a stretched 640x480 image, and a native 1280x720 image.

I've never seen Blu-ray in action, so as of now I'm perfectly fine with regular DVDs and a regular DVD player for my 37-inch HDTV.

The ps3 also makes a good upconverting DVD player.

So, just because you have a PS3 doesn't mean you have to buy only blu-rays.

Say you want a movie like step brothers with john c reilly and will ferrell. You don't really need that in HD. An up converted DVD would be fine. So, buy that on DVD.
But then say Iron Man with robert downey jr, with all it's effects, I would buy that one on blu-ray.
There's no rule that says you have to buy every movie in BR format.

another one of those threads huh?

BDs are not for everyone, period. If you like DVDs, upscaling DVDs, fine, nothings stops you.

For me, BD, period. DVDs if i can't wait or find the movie in BD format. CoffeeEdge, no point arguing with the simpletons. Honestly, i'm tired of such threads, they're so yesterday.

This is has nothing to do videphile or anything, seriously! SD and HD are clearly different, there's no comparison, even an idiot can tell the difference (maybe not so between upscaled dvd and HD).

If you're referring to people debating between $100 HDMI cable vs $10 ones, then yeah, videophiles and audiophiles come in play...

[quote name='HowStern']
There's no rule that says you have to buy every movie in BR format.[/quote]

there isn't??

[quote name='Serpentor']If you're referring to people debating between $100 HDMI cable vs $10 ones, then yeah, videophiles and audiophiles come in play...[/QUOTE]

Haha, only ignorant idiots argue about HDMI cables. HDMI carries digital picture and video, thus, as long as the signal gets through at all, there is no difference between any two sets cables. I don't think that debate happens much anymore...I hope. I like to think most people have learned the difference between analog and digital A/V signals.

I mean, someone stupid enough to think that there is a difference between any brand or "quality" of HDMI cables, could also probably be convinced that their MP3s and pictures stored on their PCs will sound and look better if they're stored on a more expensive brand harddrive...

Only thing I have ever heard that I didn't take as BS with HDMI cables that were 100 and 10 bucks was the shielding. I'm not even sure how true that is. What I was told that the higher priced ones have better shielding so nothing interfears(SP?) with the signal as much as it would with the cheaper ones. True or not I still buy the ones that are at most 2 bucks off of amazon and pay around 4 to 5 bucks in shipping.

As for the topic I still don't see the point in upscaling. Atleast when it comes to geting a DVD player for the upscaling. I would buy a cheap dvd player around 50 bucks or so that didnt upscale unless one that does upscale costs only 5-10 bucks more then I would think about it. If I didn't do that I would just get an inexpinsive BD player and let it do that for me. That way when I wanted to jump into BD I would already have a player for it.

bread's done
Back