DVDs with digital copies

Gden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
Could someone help me put together a list of DVDs that have digital copies available on them, that you can put on your PSP? I want to pick up a few to put on my pc to download for long trips.

Well, it's not a DVD, but the blu-ray for Dark City comes with a disc that contains a digital copy of the film on it. It's possible that the DVD version of this film also has the same disc though.

Jumper, I am Legend, Live Free of Die Hard, Rambo, Vantage Point, The Mummy , The Mummy Returns, and some Best Buy versions of Hitch, Underworld, Underworld Evolution, Bad Boys, Bad Boys II, and Ghost Rider.

the juno blu-ray comes with a digital copy... i think they have a dvd version that does too.
the new release of nightmare before christmas will have one also.

[quote name='GizmoGC']All digital copies are different. Some only work on iPods, some PSP, some Zune, some none.[/QUOTE]

true... my family guy:blue harvest disc gave you the choice between wmv and ipod mp4, but my dark city blu-ray only does wmv.... and the zune software does not like the portable version on there...

21 has a digital copy for the psp and ps3 (of course it was made by sony) and avoid jumper at all cost

[quote name='Poor2More']Harold and Kumar Escape Guatamino bay (Rented it from blockbuster and downloaded it to the PC)[/quote]
no code needed?

Can anyone explain why digital copies with DVDs are much of a selling point for anyone with a computer from the last couple of years?
You can easily rip DVDs to any format you have a portable player for.
Digital copies on disc save time and a modicum of HDD space, but it shouldn't be a selling point.

I actually tried to rip dvds to play them on my psp, but I could never get the programs to work for me.

[quote name='heghei555']Can anyone explain why digital copies with DVDs are much of a selling point for anyone with a computer from the last couple of years?
You can easily rip DVDs to any format you have a portable player for.
Digital copies on disc save time and a modicum of HDD space, but it shouldn't be a selling point.[/quote]

Lots of people still aren't that comfortable with a computer. They check their e-mails, surf the web, use their productivity suite, play music, etc. Plus, plenty of folks still try to avoid doing illegal things, even though no one is going to knock your door down over circumventing copyright.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Lots of people still aren't that comfortable with a computer. They check their e-mails, surf the web, use their productivity suite, play music, etc. Plus, plenty of folks still try to avoid doing illegal things, even though no one is going to knock your door down over circumventing copyright.[/quote]

Well, it's not illegal to do it for your own purposes. That is not circumventing copyright. The Fair Use Doctrine (and in spite of the DMCA's fun and exciting measure w/r/t that demon DRM) allow you to make archival backups of your own purchased movies without reprisal. That's why the warning says "unauthorized copying." Fair Use is authorized, in spite of the MPAA's whining and gnashing of teeth. Contrary to the MPAA's insistence that "copying is stealing", you are allowed under current precedent. Of course no one wants to codify it, and all it takes is another set of paid off judges (*cough* DeCSS *cough) to remove this fundamental right to do with your purchase what you will (make a planter out of it... draw on the disc, channel Elvis with the insert... whatever.) You're also allowed to resell the disc for $.80 if you so choose (First Sale Doctrine.)

The DMCA (Thanks, Big Government) specifically "forbids" you or I from telling someone else exactly how to circumvent, unless it's for purposes of research (which is very downplayed in the PR machine that is the Entertainment Industry.) The MPAA branded studios don't want to have to replace your disc when you break, lose, or scratch your own... which is why they never come out and specifically say "you've licensed the content only." (They quickly mention, "it's your disc" etc. etc.) Same with RIAA. That said, it's ridiculously easy to rip movies and crippled CD's on a Winders computer. Heck, it's even easier to do it on a Linux machine. For your own purposes of course. Sharing it with others and making your own bootlegs to sell on the streetcorner is infringing. The latter being criminal copyright infringement. (And no, the new FBI warning about "infringement without monetary gain" is a bit vague.. and the Copyright Code still has provisions to designate criminal vs. civil infringment. They still have to prove actual, not theoretical damages in court... which is why the John/Jane Doe lawsuits are hitting a brick wall (among other things), and that those suits are CIVIL, not criminal.) Copyright Infringement is a TORT.

But now, back on topic. "Dark City" plain DVD has a coupon code for "digital copy." I also remember Rambo's Blu Ray having the same.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I always enjoy when people think they are Perry Mason, because they read a CNet article... :roll:[/quote]

Well, I love it when people on the internet think they know all about someone simply by reading a gaming forum. :roll:

[quote name='JolietJake']You need to understand the difference between "copyright" and "copy protection."[/quote]

That's why I quoted the original poster who talked about circumventing copyright. (That's entirely the point.) The distinction is clear, but when someone misses the point, it's good to show the breadth of the argument.

specifically, how the *AA's don't want to allow copying at all, claiming copyright, and precedent not backing them up...

If you weren't directing this at me, apologies... but quote next time so we can be sure. ;)

Out of curiosity, are the digital copies on the DVDs in good quality or are they tuned for a small screen like a PMP?

[quote name='plft']Out of curiosity, are the digital copies on the DVDs in good quality or are they tuned for a small screen like a PMP?[/quote]

The Rambo Digital copy I got from the Blu Ray edition was perfectly calibrated for the small screen... it looked a little dodgy as it got on bigger screens though. I think that's where most of the movies will land... somewhere in the "great on portable" range. I doubt any of them will be superb enough to bother as a disc replacement (that will most likely have to be done yourself with the disc.)

Is a digital copy there just to watch on your laptop wherever you go or is it there to put on a PMP? I think they should make it clear which PMP the digital copy is good for on the package.

I'm in the middle of getting the digital copy of Dark City. Here's the steps they want:

1. put in DVD and visit a special website
2. get redirected to the actual website after they ask if you want to sign up for junk mail
3. enter code from inside DVD case
4. register on that website to get the download
5. install their "cinemanow media manager". (required for download from their website)
6. bend over.

I'm done. I'm not installing programs from them, this has gotten rediculous.

The kicker to this is I only want to watch the new director's cut, but on the Cinemanow website it shows what I'll be downloading: it has a picture of the old DVD cover and says it's rated R (new DC is unrated).

If these are the hoops they want us to jump through then I hope the digital download copy goes the way of DiVX (the old temporary disc DiVX, wiki or google it if interested)...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kerig']I'm in the middle of getting the digital copy of Dark City. Here's the steps they want:

1. put in DVD and visit a special website
2. get redirected to the actual website after they ask if you want to sign up for junk mail
3. enter code from inside DVD case
4. register on that website to get the download
5. install their "cinemanow media manager". (required for download from their website)
6. bend over.

I'm done. I'm not installing programs from them, this has gotten rediculous.

The kicker to this is I only want to watch the new director's cut, but on the Cinemanow website it shows what I'll be downloading: it has a picture of the old DVD cover and says it's rated R (new DC is unrated).

If these are the hoops they want us to jump through then I hope the digital download copy goes the way of DiVX (the old temporary disc DiVX, wiki or google it if interested)...[/QUOTE]Damn, I thought this whole "digital copy" thing was a decent idea until I read your post. How come none of these companies believe in rewarding the people who actually pay for the product? It sounds like it's still easier to just torrent the damn thing.

They should do with movies what Nine Inch Nails did with their "Ghosts" album. As soon as you ordered the physical disc, you could downlowd a zip file that contained unprotected MP3s of the entire album. No hoops, no bullshit proprietary player to install, just instant access to the content you purchased!

[quote name='BustaUppa']As soon as you ordered the physical disc, you could downlowd a zip file that contained unprotected MP3s of the entire album. No hoops, no bullshit proprietary player to install, just instant access to the content you purchased![/quote]

In all fairness, I think the 2-disc versions of DVDs w/digital copy include the actual movie file for putting on your PC instead of downloading it separately, but that irks me even more since they want you to pay extra for a "special 2-disc version" when the 2nd disc is only the (IMHO worthless) digital version.

I'm beginning to realize the bonus digital copy feature is only a benefit to those with the blu-ray versions so they don't have to upgrade their PC with a BD drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back