DVRs anyone know any good deals?

Heyricochet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So I want a DVR, but I know nothing about them at all. It'll cost me 10 bucks a month for 10 months(when my lease is up) So I was wondering if there was any deals on a dvr, or if its really not good to buy a dvr without service from the cable company or tivo.

[quote name='Heyricochet']So I want a DVR, but I know nothing about them at all. It'll cost me 10 bucks a month for 10 months(when my lease is up) So I was wondering if there was any deals on a dvr, or if its really not good to buy a dvr without service from the cable company or tivo.[/QUOTE]

I've used both replaytv and tivo. I liked each company better when I had them, so I have to say they are fairly equal. If you made me choose today I'd go with tivo thou. Here is a deal linky on one. http://www.tivo.com/0.10.partner.offer.asp?p=save150

That'll get you a 40 hour series 2 tivo for free if you either pay a year subscription in advance or get the lifetime. Yeah its a refurb, but eh the price is right.

I don't know about Tivo but most cable company's charge you each month for the DVR box and the DVR remote and taxes on each item. If I remember right with tivo you buy the box and it's yours, and you are only paying for the service.

I have a question though would tivo work with any cable company. Or when you start you sub to Tivo do they replace you regular cable company. So you can stop getting cable from Comcast, or time warner?

[quote name='Graystone']I don't know about Tivo but most cable company's charge you each month for the DVR box and the DVR remote and taxes on each item. If I remember right with tivo you buy the box and it's yours, and you are only paying for the service.

I have a question though would tivo work with any cable company. Or when you start you sub to Tivo do they replace you regular cable company. So you can stop getting cable from Comcast, or time warner?[/QUOTE]

Tivo works with any cable company, you either pay a product lifetime fee, or a monthly sub of about 13$. You can stop your cable service, or switch cable services, sure... but you have to reprogram your tivo appropriately so it can get the programming info.

~stew

You can make an DVR with your computer. Add in a TV tuner card and a large hard drive to your computer and you have the same thing. You can find deals on hard drives all the time. A week or two ago, CC had the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 for $60 after rebates.

Here are some good sites for info on DVRs and HTPCs:
Build Your Own PVR
Home Theater PC News
pc alchemy: The HTPC Store
MythTV - Free Linux DVR software
[H]ard|Forum - HTPC Systems - This board is dedicated to HTPC/DVRs.

This way you can do all that a TIVO can do, but without a monthly fee. You could get that card I mentioned and and a hard drive for under $200.

Sign up to Dish Network and you get a free DVR. (the Dish Network DVR rocks, you can set automatic weekly or daily recordings, and even schedule over a week in advance)

[quote name='Quackzilla']Sign up to Dish Network and you get a free DVR. (the Dish Network DVR rocks, you can set automatic weekly or daily recordings, and even schedule over a week in advance)[/QUOTE]

We have this at our house. I really like it. I can't compare it to other services since its the only DVR type thing I have ever owned. I can store 100hrs of TV and schedule it like you said. The only thing I don't like is I can't record one thing while watching another show (I don't know if ANY of them do this). I can, however, watch a pre-recorded show while recording live TV.

DirecTV with Tivo let's you record two things at the same time and you can also watch the DVR while you are recording. Or, you can record one channel while watching live TV or the DVR. This is because each DirecTivo has dual tuner's. Dish does not have this feature because it doesn't have dual tuners.

I actually have two DirecTivo's set up with one TV right now--I can record 3 channels at once while watching live TV or the DVR, or record 4 channels at once while watching the DVR. I think they have a $50 rebate for new customers if you buy a DirectTV Tivo unit.

Check out www.weaknees.com (authorized "modded" Tivo units) and www.tivocommunity.com (Tivo forum)

Plus, DirecTV = all digital channels unlike "Digital" cable.

I ended up just going with the cable companies box cause it seemed the best. I don't think I can use any satellite because I live in a half basement apartment(underground, but still have full size windows) And I wouldn't want to bother with TiVo cause I don't know how much I'll use the dvr. Thanks for all the input though.

bread's done
Back