DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter

darkchild81

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
i'm going to be getting a psp soon and want to go on the internet with it. i have dsl right now, but not a wireless router. the computer that has the internet is not my own so i do not want to take it apart and install wireless stuff.

i read that some people use the DWL-122 or D-Link DWL-G132 Wireless USB Adapter to get on the internet with their psp. has anyone here done that? is it worth it?

You can't go online wirelessly with a USB adapter unless there's a wireless router somewhere to connect to the Internet. There has to be a wireless network somewhere near you.

This would be the equivalent of having a portable radio but radio stations not existing yet.

[quote name='Strell']You can't go online wirelessly with a USB adapter unless there's a wireless router somewhere to connect to the Internet. There has to be a wireless network somewhere near you.[/quote]

*shakes head*

[quote name='darkchild91'] i'm going to be getting a psp soon and want to go on the internet with it. i have dsl right now, but not a wireless router. the computer that has the internet is not my own so i do not want to take it apart and install wireless stuff.

i read that some people use the DWL-122 or D-Link DWL-G132 Wireless USB Adapter to get on the internet with their psp. has anyone here done that? is it worth it?[/quote]

From what ive read on the internet, both the usb adapters you listed work only as a connector to a dlink router. If you're looking for a product to plug into the USB drive and emit a wireless signal so you can connect your PSP, you may want either the Datel Wifi Max:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802259

Or something along the lines of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833203005

wow, had no idea. thanks.

so the wifi max is the way to go for a wired internet connection. i did a little searching and it seems poeple don't think its too reliable, a lot of lost connections. does anyone else have any experience with it?

[quote name='Strell']You can't go online wirelessly with a USB adapter unless there's a wireless router somewhere to connect to the Internet. There has to be a wireless network somewhere near you.

This would be the equivalent of having a portable radio but radio stations not existing yet.[/QUOTE]
If you're using it for your PC, then yes, you cant connect online unless you have a wireless router. But if your PC is connected via wired ethernet, then a USB wireless adapter would work for the PSP. THe PSP is connecting to the USB wireless which is getting connection through the PC.

I have a DWL-G122 for sale.

[quote name='iazybandit']But if your PC is connected via wired ethernet, then a USB wireless adapter would work for the PSP. THe PSP is connecting to the USB wireless which is getting connection through the PC.

I have a DWL-G122 for sale.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between a wireless adapter and one that generates a soft AP. Unless this DWL does that, there's no way you could use it to connect wirelessly.

Generally if it's an "adapter" it has no way of connecting external devices.

[quote name='Strell']There is a difference between a wireless adapter and one that generates a soft AP. Unless this DWL does that, there's no way you could use it to connect wirelessly.

Generally if it's an "adapter" it has no way of connecting external devices.[/QUOTE]
XLink confirms that the DWL-122 works with their product. If what you say is that you need a wireless router to use this adapter, whats the point of getting this adapter for the PSP? Just go online with the PSP and wireless router.

Also, if the USB adapter was communicating with the router, I dont think the PSP can communicate with the USB at the same time. Its like trying to get a bluetooth headset to work with two phones at the same time..it wont allow you.

Dude, all I was saying is that it would have to generate a soft AP. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

If it does, it does.

I don't know, I didn't research the product. I'm just saying an adapter generally doesn't.

The point of getting something specifically designed for the PSP would be that it would simplify the process. Same with the Nintendo USB adapter - it generally allows you to bypass having to worry about port forwarding, security settings, etc. It configures it all automatically for you. Assuming that's what this thing does, anyone who doesn't know much about their router would get this for that reason.

Everyone else would just configure their stuff themselves.

when it comes to networking i'm a totaly noob, so i might look into the WiFi Max. i don't want to worry about "port forwarding, security settings, etc". i just want to occasionally check my email or this site.

[quote name='darkchild81']when it comes to networking i'm a totaly noob, so i might look into the WiFi Max. i don't want to worry about "port forwarding, security settings, etc". i just want to occasionally check my email or this site.[/QUOTE]
port forwarding, security settings or any settings for that matter would have to be done by accessing the router IP (?).

I dont think the PSP will support all sites especially heavy content sites. Also, be warned that loading on the PSP is slow..so dont get pissed if it takes awhile to load. I suggest just leaving the checking emails or checking sites to computers and gaming for PSP.

ok maybe I'm dense but I can connect to wireless points all over without any trouble with my PSP as is without a wi fi adapter. It connects here at work even on the wireless network that I admin no issues sooooo why spend money on a wireless adaptor when the PSP already connects just fine and surfs just fine as is?

[quote name='PhoenixT']ok maybe I'm dense but I can connect to wireless points all over without any trouble with my PSP as is without a wi fi adapter. It connects here at work even on the wireless network that I admin no issues sooooo why spend money on a wireless adaptor when the PSP already connects just fine and surfs just fine as is?[/QUOTE]
OP doesnt have wireless at his house.

[quote name='iazybandit'] I suggest just leaving the checking emails or checking sites to computers and gaming for PSP.[/QUOTE]

that makes sense. i shouldn't worry too much about a feature that no one really seems to use a lot. i'll just forgot about it for now, but thanks for all the help. :)

I am helping someone unsuccessfully setting up a WiFi Max. If you are good at networking and helping total noobs with WiFi Max setup, please feel free to IM Emporor22E on AIM.

bread's done
Back