Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors--so addicting?

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I see reviewers and avid gamers complaining about most Koei "Warriors" games. Many say they're tired, overdone, repetitive, and barely upgraded between new games in the series.

But I've been addicted to Dynasty Warriors since the Dynasty Warriors 2. Each time a new Warriors game comes out, be it Samurai, Dynasty, or a spin-off like Empires or Xtreme Legends, I'm all over it. Something about the games just never gets old.

Also, when I'm in a gaming "slump" (just don't feel like playing anything) then I just go back to Dynasty Warriors and I start getting back into video games.

Anyone else love the Warriors games?

[quote name='xghostsniperx']I see reviewers and avid gamers complaining about most Koei "Warriors" games. Many say they're tired, overdone, repetitive, and barely upgraded between new games in the series.

But I've been addicted to Dynasty Warriors since the Dynasty Warriors 2. Each time a new Warriors game comes out, be it Samurai, Dynasty, or a spin-off like Empires or Xtreme Legends, I'm all over it. Something about the games just never gets old.

Also, when I'm in a gaming "slump" (just don't feel like playing anything) then I just go back to Dynasty Warriors and I start getting back into video games.

Anyone else love the Warriors games?[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you, although I don't tend to buy the Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends because there are no new characters. I did buy the Samurai Warriors Xtreme Legends and will definately buy Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends if and when it comes to the U.S.

I think the series is really good and addicting. I learned to not read reviews, because I really like them. They are some of the games I play most too.

I'm a big fan of the series. At first I thought it sucked(had no patience), but then a couple years later I picked up DW4 and loved it. It's a great 2 player game.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']I see reviewers and avid gamers complaining about most Koei "Warriors" games. Many say they're tired, overdone, repetitive, and barely upgraded between new games in the series.

Anyone else love the Warriors games?[/QUOTE]
I'm right there with you. I haven't missed a game since DW1! With Dynasty Warriors Gundam and then Warriors Orochi coming out only a month later, it's a good year to be a Koei fan.

I can appreciate the games but after a few characters they get boring. I traded in DW4 after picking up SW1, and remembering the castle stages kind of keeps me away from it. I like SW a little better though, since I've actually heard of most of the characters and since there are less of them, I can actually play through a good number of them. Lack of any direction as to how to unlock certain missions and stages keeps this from being a A+ series for me, however.

I can't play those games. I've tried. Not for me. I can shoot mindless targets endlessly and have fun, but I can't slash through mindless chinese soliders and have fun. Eh.

Reviews are reviews. The ultimate review is your review. I always say to people "rent it if you're not sure" then decide if it is worth a purchase.

The games are good for the most part, it's just that they are being milked by Koei and they aren't really adding in alot of improvements.

3 is my favorite because it's level design was king.

If they made the levels a little more detailed and made the non-boss enemies at least attempt to fight back the game probably wouldn't catch so much crap from reviewers.

wow I just put Samurai Warriors XBOX (sealed) on my tl because of the reviews said it was so so.

should I keep it?

Single player is okay, although Koei is shameless about what they constitute as a new game. Same attack combos and animations, rehashed music... it gets old fast.

My biggest contention with the games are the weak scripting for co-op. It gets frickin frustrating trying to take on a general when they keep disappearing because Koei couldn't take the time to fix where too many onscreen characters causes your enemies to disappear and reappear randomly. Makes fighting sooo much fun. :bomb:

Come on, the xbox (how I've played DW 3, 4 and 5 and Samurai Warriors (haven't yet tried SW 2 on the 360, it's sitting here waiting to be played) is far more robust than that. For the gameplay to fall apart because the game designers couldn't render landscape or too many characters...

Again, I like the series because in theory they're fun. I love hack and slash, and hundreds of level 1 types to plow through. I enjoy the rather artistic license that has been taken with the Three Kingdoms history.

But the games need serious quality control work. I don't mind Zhuge Liang and his pixelated eyebrows in the FMVs (just one example, there's a lot of pathetic fmv and cutscenes in the games. I don't mind playing Xiao Qaio's story line and her and her husband Zhou Yu lamenting the death of Sun Ce, only to play the next stage and the FIRST general you pass on the field is Sun Ce.

I just want them to fix the stinkin gameplay.

Relevant conversation I had with my brother the other evening as we were finishing up DW5 on Chaos level:
Jaeli: maybe it's the AI (why enemies would disappear from onscreen battles)
Gwen: what AI? (on screen there were Wu and Wei peasant types who *should* have been fighting... they just stood there facing each other)

[quote name='guinaevere']Single player is okay, although Koei is shameless about what they constitute as a new game. Same attack combos and animations, rehashed music... it gets old fast.

My biggest contention with the games are the weak scripting for co-op. It gets frickin frustrating trying to take on a general when they keep disappearing because Koei couldn't take the time to fix where too many onscreen characters causes your enemies to disappear and reappear randomly. Makes fighting sooo much fun. :bomb:

Come on, the xbox (how I've played DW 3, 4 and 5 and Samurai Warriors (haven't yet tried SW 2 on the 360, it's sitting here waiting to be played) is far more robust than that. For the gameplay to fall apart because the game designers couldn't render landscape or too many characters...

Again, I like the series because in theory they're fun. I love hack and slash, and hundreds of level 1 types to plow through. I enjoy the rather artistic license that has been taken with the Three Kingdoms history.

But the games need serious quality control work. I don't mind Zhuge Liang and his pixelated eyebrows in the FMVs (just one example, there's a lot of pathetic fmv and cutscenes in the games. I don't mind playing Xiao Qaio's story line and her and her husband Zhou Yu lamenting the death of Sun Ce, only to play the next stage and the FIRST general you pass on the field is Sun Ce.

I just want them to fix the stinkin gameplay.

Relevant conversation I had with my brother the other evening as we were finishing up DW5 on Chaos level:
Jaeli: maybe it's the AI (why enemies would disappear from onscreen battles)
Gwen: what AI? (on screen there were Wu and Wei peasant types who *should* have been fighting... they just stood there facing each other)[/QUOTE]

so I guess it stays on my tl huh?

[quote name='ITDEFX']so I guess it stays on my tl huh?[/quote]If it's sealed, keep it that way, unless you're heavy into hack and slash types... because that alone is fun. If it's already open, try it out, enjoy the horrible voice acting (localized and original) and learn a little of Japans history (albeit heavily dramatized and with significant poetic license, it's still a fast way to become familiar with the figures who unified ancient Japan).

[quote name='guinaevere']If it's sealed, keep it that way, unless you're heavy into hack and slash types... because that alone is fun. If it's already open, try it out, enjoy the horrible voice acting (localized and original) and learn a little of Japans history (albeit heavily dramatized and with significant poetic license, it's still a fast way to become familiar with the figures who unified ancient Japan).[/QUOTE]

probably what would happen is I would try it out, play it for about an hour then give up out of boredom. Might as well put it up for trades so another cag can enjoy it. No giant enemy crab huh?

They better add Online Multiplayer or I will go

Dexter

On HIS ASS.

on a side note I just started watching this show and it rocks. Go watch this show everyone.

WOW that was a.d.d of me.....

1I played DW 4 and it was fun for a whle, but the setting sank it for me. It was too much drama for me.
I liked the personailty of the DW Gundam demo though.

good games, make for a great experience with a friend. Online play is needed for lasting appeal tho. If DW6 gets online on either 360 or ps3 it will be an instant buy for me.

bread's done
Back