E3 2012 and the rise of violent video games

nystate

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
I was on the internet and came across these articles.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/257057/e3_2012_virtual_violence_fatigue_settles_in.html

E3 2012: Virtual Violence Fatigue Settles In

Violent video games are nothing new, and that’s part of the problem with E3 2012. Microsoft, Sony, and big-budget publishers held press conferences that were chock full of enough blood and gore to turn the stomachs of journalists who cover violent video games for a living, suggesting that we may be on the cusp of a significant change in how video games are developed and sold.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-5...violence-at-e3-too-much-yet-still-not-enough/

Video game violence at E3: Too much, yet still not enough

Unfortunately, E3 this year has done little to impress anyone who isn't already either a fan or an apologist for mind-numbing game violence. If anything, it's successfully buried the vibrant, creative, nuanced, clever, and amazing games that could help the industry get its mojo back.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/05/e3-day-zero-when-game-violence-becomes-vile/

E3 Day Zero: When Game Violence Becomes Vile

Obviously, over-the-top killing in games isn’t new. Violence, as it turns out, is the answer when the question is “What’s the most immediately engaging, compulsively satisfying way to interact with a game world?” The problem with yesterday’s showcase, then, is manifold, but its frail, probably soon-to-be-skewered heart lies in presentation.

I was read these three articles and came to a few conclusions, as videogames grow up, the more violent they become. At first I was peeved that one of my favorite past times has become so...bloody. But then I realized that as a people we want to be entertained. By playing a game, it allows us to be entertained. Games are an interactive medium, and as such it has to be compelling. What better way to be compelling than to in-your-face wanton action. Shocking, sudden acts of violence stirs something in us: a need to find out more.

If we hear about a violent attack on the news, we immediately start paying attention. How many people heard about the drug addled man who ate the homeless guys face off? Yea you know the one. People talk about violence. They spread it like a disease. We Facebook it, Twitter it and email/text message it. We just love to talk it up.

So if we want to make games that people are interested in, making video games is a business after all, Game makers have to make a game people will talk about for days, weeks, months and even years later.

1UP and Eurogamer have published similar articles. Seems like this has been an overarching theme of E3 coverage this year.

[quote name='nystate']...big-budget publishers held press conferences that were chock full of enough blood and gore to turn the stomachs of journalists who cover violent video games for a living, [/QUOTE]

Honestly that guy/girl should not be a video game journalist if that shit made your stomach turn.

I agree with the sentiment, but if you want to go for pseudo-realism which way can you go other then ultraviolence? The hardware just doesn't support anything else.

I have kept only 6 games and two of them are Afrika and LA Noire. I like these two games because they embrace psuedo-realism but eschew ultraviolence - but honestly they are kind of boring. Afrika ends up feeling like work and the ambiguous, often misleading dialog trees in LA Noire get old quickly.

[quote name='camoor']I agree with the sentiment, but if you want to go for pseudo-realism which way can you go other then ultraviolence? The hardware just doesn't support anything else.

I have kept only 6 games and two of them are Afrika and LA Noire. I like these two games because they embrace psuedo-realism but eschew ultraviolence - but honestly they are kind of boring. Afrika ends up feeling like work and the ambiguous, often misleading dialog trees in LA Noire get old quickly.[/QUOTE]

I think you are doing it wrong.......

[quote name='panzerfaust']Not nearly enough sex, however.[/QUOTE]

That's because we want our kids to make war, not love.

I think the graphical prowess of these next gen systems just makes it all too real, even when it's cartoonized a la Gears, God of War, and Resident Evil.

Games like Max Payne and the Last of Us are showing a more realistic rendering of the violence, but I've seen and heard this song and dance repeated since the days of the original Mortal Kombat on the Genesis.

Developers haven't changed all that much and neither have our taste's. That's what is wrong with
gaming, it's reaching the point where the industry is recycling ad naseim like the movie industry. As I've become a long time fan of the industry, movie and gaming, it's now the more original and odd titles that catch my eye.

It just sucks than indie and small budget titles are where you have to look to find something truly different, we should be getting more innovation and bang for our buck in the big budget titles too.

This shit makes me sick. I'm talking about the pathetic articles about the violence in video games, not the viloence in video games.

Seriously, fuck you guys. And why are all these articles popping up right now? All at the same time? You're a bunch of fucking pansies. It's a video game, not reality. Get over it or move on.

The games they're crying about are probably all going to be pretty good to great games anyway.

fucking dick balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much violence in a fake video game with computer graphics. BUT it is ok to show REAL dead bodies on the news every night. Makes sense to me.

[quote name='musha666']Too much violence in a fake video game with computer graphics. BUT it is ok to show REAL dead bodies on the news every night. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah without all the swearing that's basically what I mean. We've had movies for how long and how violent are they? If you don't like em, dont watch them. There are plenty of other movies and games for people that just can't stomach this terrible violence. And like you said the news loves reporting on (real!) violence every single day.

These are games that are meant to be played for fun. So get over it and have fun or just don't play them.

For these game "journalists" to write about this crap is just giving ammo to old politicians and other ignorant douches, like people that get their news from FOX.

The next big leap in virtual violence is going to be more realistic animations when someone is being killed. A really good example is Last of Us. Before the main character shoots some asshole on the ground, the victim can be seen opening his mouth and screaming before having his head blown off. They really are stepping it up and I could not be happier.

bread's done
Back