E3 Discussion

Im still trying to figure out how Nintendo thinks they can survive another year with out a new Metroid or Zelda even scheduled for next year.

Im still trying to figure out how Nintendo thinks they can survive another year with out a new Metroid or Zelda even scheduled for next year.
The same way they survived the N64 and GC eras: loyalist fans who will take anything Nintendo throws at them. I'm sure someone will come in and chastise me for this, but I was a Nintendo fan for most of my life... until the Wii days, when they finally became king of the hill again and basically gave the middle finger to their fans (again, personal opinion here) with a high focus on casual stuff like Wii Fit, Wii Music and not catering to third parties for exclusives or multiplatform games.

This year, in terms of "big" games, they're release Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD and that'll probably be enough to actually boost their sales. I'll say this though, I'm going to get a Wii U in 2014. They'll have a decent library by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same way they survived the N64 and GC eras: loyalist fans who will take anything Nintendo throws at them. I'm sure someone will come in and chastise me for this, but I was a Nintendo fan for most of my life... until the Wii days, when they finally became king of the hill again and basically gave the middle finger to their fans (again, personal opinion here) with a high focus on casual stuff like Wii Fit, Wii Music and not catering to third parties for exclusives or multiplatform games.

This year, in terms of "big" games, they're release Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD and that'll probably be enough to actually boost their sales. I'll say this though, I'm going to get a Wii U in 2014. They'll have a decent library by then.
I agree with what you say about them giving the middle finger to the core gamer. The prob is your looking at another year of nothing new. Do they have the money to have there console sit on the shelves. I thought I read some where that money is starting to be a issue with them. Its been a while, but my memory is garbage so I cant tell you where. I could be way off base.

Given that Smash Bros. Link is based off of Skyward Sword, I wouldn't expect Zelda WiiU until next winter.

Also, E3 is really the only time nowadays when Nintendo announces projects 1+ years out after the Brawl fiasco.

Metroid, on the other hand, is a different story. Other M's total failure has Nintendo at a crossroads. They probably would love to return to classic Metroid, but they also want to make something that will actually appeal to Japanese gamers (which is one of the reasons Other M went the way it did).

Given that Smash Bros. Link is based off of Skyward Sword, I wouldn't expect Zelda WiiU until next winter.

Also, E3 is really the only time nowadays when Nintendo announces projects 1+ years out after the Brawl fiasco.
So you think they will announce a Zelda some time later this year?

So you think they will announce a Zelda some time later this year?
Possibly. I have no doubt they are working on one, but it's probably very early. I imagine most of the people who would work on it are busy with the other two Zelda titles, so something tangible probably won't be revealed until after Wind Waker HD is released.

I don't completely disagree with your assessment of the Wii. They certainly made a lot of more casual games, but that's probably because they sold like crazy. Halo 3 may have sold over 14 million copies, but Wii Sports Resort sold over 31 million copies. I'm not saying that it's right, but it was logical for them to make these games.

This year we are getting two Zelda games on Nintendo systems (Wind Waker HD for Wii U and A Link Between Worlds for 3DS), but we really don't know much about what Nintendo is planning for 2014 because they have pretty much stopped announcing games years in advance. I think they've announced a total of 4 games for 2014;, X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8 [Spring 2014] and Super Smash Bros. Clearly that's not their entire line-up, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure they'll show something else at Tokyo Game Show and randomly on their Nintendo Directs.

The rest of 2013 I do think my Wii U is getting some love. Maybe not as much as I'd like, but I have plenty of other games/consoles. I'm looking forward to Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and Batman: Arkham Origins. With the PS4, 360 and PS3 I doubt I'll be able to get them all anyway.

I don't think anybody getting a Wii U starting in August is going to be lacking for games to play, it's getting most of the really big multi-platform titles (Arkham Origins, Call of Duty: Dog Edition, Watchdogs, ACIV, etc) along with a couple really original titles (Wonderful 101) and stuff that may not be original but looks incredibly fun (Pikmin, Mario World, Donkey Kong) and 2014 looks fantastic already with Kart, Bayonetta, X & Smash all poised to hit on top of hopefully some great unannounced stuff. I think if they can keep a decent software flow, which would just be 2-3 solid games a month be they multi-platform or original, they'll be fine. It won't be the Wii where they are just making ungodly amounts of yen, but between that and the 3DS they'll make money and probably have it be more like the GC where they are last, but it's a pretty comfortable last because it's pretty profitable.

This is great.  Definitely gonna pre-order that revolutionary brick

xbox+one+vs+brick.+spoiler+in+tags_8bf850_4636270.jpg

Killer Instinct is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm not sure how I feel about the new one. For one thing, i've heard it's F2P Jago and you have to buy the rest of the characters separate. I realize it's cheaper than buying a whole game, I just hope the quality of the game isn't lowered because of it.

I don't think I can support the Xbox One, even though it's really tempting with Killer Instinct.. Hopefully this game will become available on other platforms. Although, I doubt that will happen.

Unfortunately Killer Instincts is staying on XBL.

Hopefully my brother decides to go PS4 so I don't have to get one for quite sometime.

We don't even know if the new KI will be good. Lets not forget, it's been a LONG time since the last KI game (nearly 17 years)... Rare has changed a lot since then.

Damn... 17 years... I feel old.

It better be good. Fans have been waiting a long time for another KI game. It would be a disservice to the Killer Instinct title if it's anything less than perfection.

Even the original KI wasn't anywhere near perfect. And considering Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, DOA5, and the various Street Fighter and Tekken titles lately, KI will need something unique to set it apart.

It wasn't perfect, no game is perfect. Yet It was, in it's own way. Even with it's flaws, the original KI (arcade version) is a classic among fighting game fans. The trailer for this one looks pretty good but I don't like the idea of it being F2P, pay to unlock characters or the fact that it is going to be restricted to the xbox.

Guess all we can do is wait to see how it will turn out.

Man, the more I catch up on the E3 the more I love that I can get upcoming games on my less fail 360. So glad they didn't follow my thought of why bother with current gen. Still find it hilarious there's a "new" 360 right in the middle of launching next gen.

bread's done
Back