EA Buy 2 Get 1 Free Deal (Starting next week)

[quote name='Chris Dillon']hm i may pick up tiger, live, and nhl this year.[/quote]

I can understand some of the decisions, isn't Tiger like highly rated or something? I heard that but don't know for sure but Live?! I've heard the game is a POS and Sega's NBA one is clearly better. I remember the first time I picked up Live it left a bad taste in my mouth but then I couldn't control the characters.
Pricewise and online featurewise I'm picking up the new College Hoops and ESPN Basketball for XBox. Why the hell bother with this sale when shit like "Burnout 3" isn't included or if a new SSX came out and wasn't included, same with NBA Street(I've HEARD it's suppose to be fun.).

I'm not really partial to either ESPN or EA, but I've held off getting Madden because I already have ESPN 2K5. With this deal I may take a look at what else they have though. They've definitely got my attention with this.

Yeah, they have my attention, but when you already have BOTH ESPN NHL/NFL 2k5, isn't it a little late? I still want Tiger though, but I think I'll pick it up during the TRU sale, with two other games, instead of buying two more sprots games that I already have.

How are they going to do this? All retailers will have to give 1 game for free? I'm guessing that all stores will get money back from EA, but what about smaller gaming stores? It seems that this will be tougher than just a lower price on the games.

I liked NBA Live 2003. It was fun to play to me, but once I got ESPN NBA 2K4, I was shocked that the graphics were so great on ESPN. However, I liked the controls on Live better. The fun factor on Live made it a good game, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to Live this year, actually. I'm still going to support Sega's games, this just gives me reason to pick up more EA Sports games. I've wanted to get NCAA for the longest time now, so I'll probably go Live, NCAA and Tiger.

I really wish the EA Sports branding included racing games like Burnout.

just read this:

[UPDATE] Subsequent information provided by EA to GameSpot outlined the deal. "Consumers who buy two new EA Sports titles between September 27 and November 14 can get a coupon online for a third free game," said a representative for the company, who said details would be forthcoming on the official EA Web site.

So buy 2 at whatever price and get your online coupon for a third game....meh

Actually, I like that better. The two games don't have to be on the same receipt so you can look for the best deals on the two games you want during a sale and still get a third game.

At least that's how I hope it works.

[quote name='sj41']How are they going to do this? All retailers will have to give 1 game for free? I'm guessing that all stores will get money back from EA, but what about smaller gaming stores? It seems that this will be tougher than just a lower price on the games.

I liked NBA Live 2003. It was fun to play to me, but once I got ESPN NBA 2K4, I was shocked that the graphics were so great on ESPN. However, I liked the controls on Live better. The fun factor on Live made it a good game, IMO.[/quote]

What do you expect? EA is notorious for halfassing the graphics in every Sports game BUT Madden. In fact it may only be because of NBA Courtside on the 64 that EA decided to even clean it up. I mean I remember Courtside being the first 3D Basketball game that looked GOOD on a system and Sega's NBA KINDA continued that trend though Courtside sticks out in my mind.

[quote name='mtxbass1']just read this:

[UPDATE] Subsequent information provided by EA to GameSpot outlined the deal. "Consumers who buy two new EA Sports titles between September 27 and November 14 can get a coupon online for a third free game," said a representative for the company, who said details would be forthcoming on the official EA Web site.

So buy 2 at whatever price and get your online coupon for a third game....meh[/quote]

This deal is now HOT! Why? Combine this with the upcoming B2G1 TRU promo and it turns into B2G2. Just make sure the two EA Sports games are the paid games on your receipt from TRU, and not the free game (unless you buy a 3rd EA Sports game from TRU, then it wouldn't matter).

[quote name='DJSteel']You get what you pay for imo...$20 game plays like a $20 game...[/quote]

:roll:

Is that why the ESPN series was rated just as high if not higher than EA's?!!?

[quote name='bmarquardt'][quote name='mtxbass1']just read this:

So buy 2 at whatever price and get your online coupon for a third game....meh[/quote]

This deal is now HOT! Why? Combine this with the upcoming B2G1 TRU promo and it turns into B2G2. Just make sure the two EA Sports games are the paid games on your receipt from TRU, and not the free game (unless you buy a 3rd EA Sports game from TRU, then it wouldn't matter).[/quote]

Interesting, very interesting. I may give this a try.

What makes people think this is PS2 only? I didn't see that in the article, but I may have missed something? I guess that will be cleared up for sure once they do post details on their site, and if the deal does begin Monday I'd expect that to happen pretty soon.

[quote name='DJSteel']You get what you pay for imo...$20 game plays like a $20 game...[/quote]

Yeah you sure do. :roll: I sure do think my $5 copy of Disgaea plays like a $5 game. :roll: Lets just mention a few games in the past few months that "play like a $20 game" shall we?

ESPN NFL,NHL 2K5
Guilty Gear X2 Reloaded
Katamari Damacy

Not to mention quite a few more. All retailed for $19.99 and are some of the best games out there right now.

[quote name='wubb'][quote name='bmarquardt'][quote name='mtxbass1']just read this:

This deal is now HOT! Why? Combine this with the upcoming B2G1 TRU promo and it turns into B2G2. Just make sure the two EA Sports games are the paid games on your receipt from TRU, and not the free game (unless you buy a 3rd EA Sports game from TRU, then it wouldn't matter).[/quote]

Interesting, very interesting. I may give this a try.

What makes people think this is PS2 only? I didn't see that in the article, but I may have missed something? I guess that will be cleared up for sure once they do post details on their site, and if the deal does begin Monday I'd expect that to happen pretty soon.[/quote]

I was wondering where it said PS2 only also. The TRU idea is a great one, but I don't know if I can hold off until that sale.

Having to deal with coupons is gay. If they were serious they'd lower the MSRP, but that they're even responding at all means that Sega is hurting them.

Maybe people are starting to realize that the Sega sports/ESPN games are for the most part as good or better. Its not budget crap like 989 or Konami.

I think it's awesome that Sega/VC forced EA into this positon, esp after the war of press releases that followed the announement of $19.99 NFL2K5

Tooooo funny.

Funny how EA changed it tune when it scoffed at the ESPN line up being $19.99. I wonder what the sales numbers look like. I"m sure Madden outsold NFL 2k5 but I wonder if the margin is smaller from last year because of the price drop. Also, is the margin between EA's NHL and ESPN's NHL smaller now. The overall reviews for ESPN's NHL game have it rated higher than EA's NHL.

[quote name='MadFlava']Funny how EA changed it tune when it scoffed at the ESPN line up being $19.99. I wonder what the sales numbers look like. I"m sure Madden outsold NFL 2k5 but I wonder if the margin is smaller from last year because of the price drop. Also, is the margin between EA's NHL and ESPN's NHL smaller now. The overall reviews for ESPN's NHL game have it rated higher than EA's NHL.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the ESPN NHL game is outselling the EA NHL game 2 to 1. Since there's no real hockey this year and the ESPN game is $30 cheaper. I have no hard numbers to back this up. It's just a feeling.

With the TRU sale, this is very nice, but still the coupon part of it does suck...And the fact that ESPN games can be had for $15 at BB...I mean a whole $10 drop on NBA Live, wow ea's really diggin' in there...Why don't they just drop the whole line to $30...They are going to bump it up to $50 again with the new generation of games anyway

I just read the article on gamespot, and what do you think the advertisement was on the web page?

ESPN NBA 2K5 for $19.99 !! :applause:

I just wish the ESPN sports games were available for PC or GC!!!

The recent EA NHL 2005 reviews have been saying the game is mediocre - any opinions? How does it compare to ESPN NHL??

[quote name='doubledown'][quote name='DJSteel']You get what you pay for imo...$20 game plays like a $20 game...[/quote]

Is that why the ESPN series was rated just as high if not higher than EA's?!!?[/quote]

I'm sure the pricetag affected some of the reviews...

[quote name='tickdude']I just read the article on gamespot, and what do you think the advertisement was on the web page?

ESPN NBA 2K5 for $19.99 !! :applause:

I just wish the ESPN sports games were available for PC or GC!!!

The recent EA NHL 2005 reviews have been saying the game is mediocre - any opinions? How does it compare to ESPN NHL??[/quote]

NBA Live 2005 - 39.99..btw

many publications flip flopped on ESPN/EA... EGM, Gamepro say ESPN is better, Game Informer and some others say EA's is better...

[quote name='Sarang01']What do you expect? EA is notorious for halfassing the graphics in every Sports game BUT Madden. In fact it may only be because of NBA Courtside on the 64 that EA decided to even clean it up. I mean I remember Courtside being the first 3D Basketball game that looked GOOD on a system and Sega's NBA KINDA continued that trend though Courtside sticks out in my mind.[/quote]

Wow, Courtside...that reminds me, the incarnation for the GCN still has the sweetest shooting animation I've ever seen. It just looks right. Why can't the other games get that part right?

As far as NHL games go, ESPN NHL just seems perfect. Graphically and gameplay-wise, I don't know how much more you could ask for. Could do with a little better presentation, but this game's great.

[quote name='DJSteel'][quote name='doubledown'][quote name='DJSteel']You get what you pay for imo...$20 game plays like a $20 game...[/quote]

Is that why the ESPN series was rated just as high if not higher than EA's?!!?[/quote]

I'm sure the pricetag affected some of the reviews...[/quote]

You mean, for example, like the OXM review of NHL 2k5 that says "worth it at twice the price"?

Pretty much the ESPN reviews I've seen used the price point as an extra incentive to buy, not as a cover for some gameplay inadequecies.

there were many many problems with ESPN NFL 2k5 that were not included in ANY review...most of which was attributed to awful AI...i guess everything can be overlooked for a price...

[quote name='DJSteel']there were many many problems with ESPN NFL 2k5 that were not included in ANY review...most of which was attributed to awful AI...i guess everything can be overlooked for a price...[/quote]

That Madden fatigue bug wasn't mentioned in any review I've read and that's pretty much a game breaking problem. You're right, everything can be overlooked for a price. Specifically what EA pays certain reviewers...

bread's done
Back