EA drops NCAA

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
For near future they seem to be steering away from theo college football line, thanks to the O'Bannon case.

Such a shame.

To be fair they are only dropping the exclusivity so it actually opens up for other publishers, but given a possible 27 million in pending O'Bannon case and possibly much more future costs it may not have NCAA games anytime soon

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is a good thing simply because to me, NCAA has been the dumbed down version of the yearly Madden. It is the reason people call football games a roster update. I enjoy the games, but the past 2 games have really just felt like lesser versions of Madden. I think the Madden team does a decent job of keeping the series fresh.

For near future they seem to be steering away from theo college football line, thanks to the O'Bannon case.

Such a shame.

To be fair they are only dropping the exclusivity so it actually opens up for other publishers, but given a possible 27 million in pending O'Bannon case and possibly much more future costs it may not have NCAA games anytime soon
this is part of the settlement, not renewing the exclusive contracts with arena football and ncaa. im sure they will still release the game yearly

The settlement also provides for significant forward-looking relief, as EA has agreed not to renew its current exclusive agreement with the NCAA, which expires in 2014, for at least five years and EA will not sign an exclusive license arrangement with the AFL for five years.

The headline is a bit misleading -- it's more the NCAA won't renew with EA than the other way around.

I'm sure EA would like to keep going...either way I'd pick up '14 as it's probably going to be the last one, at least as it currently stands.

As the OP alluded to, this has a lot to do the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. Don't be surprised to see another EA-published college football game next year. It just won't be called NCAA Football. EA can still cut deals with all of the conferences and put a game together.

I put it as EA dropping as the deal was put forth as EA will let it lapse due to the lawsuit per the agreement in the lawsuit. That and many reporting it seem to lead with EA being the party not renewing.

Granted dropped is probably a little over the top.

I think a lot of franchises will hesitate on making a different NCAA football game as the O'Bannon lawsuit blows a Pandora's box wide open. Not knowing the full repurcussions may stay off other devs until you can see what it may cost you

Such a shame.

they are still going to make college football games dude it will just not have ncaa name on the game and in the game. even before this ea sports had to have contracts with schools to use thier name and logo and the bowl games also. I was shocked also but read what hte license covered and all it was for the ncaa name and able to use ncaa title in the game.

ncaa is middle of getting sued the yare not selling license anytime soon plus the last 2k game was garbage
So, clearly it's better for only one company to make a game for it then? So then it's acceptable for them to release a mediocre product year after year because people have no other choice but to buy it. Do you even understand competition? Monopolies on sports games are KILLING them. If you want to be an ignorant dolt, that's your business. I'd rather EA feel a bit threatened that they might lose a few sales, regardless of how "garbage" the competitor is. It might make them try a little harder.

So, clearly it's better for only one company to make a game for it then? So then it's acceptable for them to release a mediocre product year after year because people have no other choice but to buy it. Do you even understand competition? Monopolies on sports games are KILLING them. If you want to be an ignorant dolt, that's your business. I'd rather EA feel a bit threatened that they might lose a few sales, regardless of how "garbage" the competitor is. It might make them try a little harder.
what does what i said have anything ot do with not allowing other companys to make games. Ncaa got out of the deal for a reason and will not sign with 2k. 2k all stars game was awfu compared to 2k5.

what does what i said have anything ot do with not allowing other companys to make games. Ncaa got out of the deal for a reason and will not sign with 2k. 2k all stars game was awfu compared to 2k5.
And it was still better than most Madden offerings, what's your point?

And it was still better than most Madden offerings, what's your point?
i have been one of the biggest madden knockers over hte years but madden 10, madden 13 and what i played of madden 25 at e3 has looked great. I have never been crazy to get my hands on full madden as i im for madden 25 and after playing ncaa 14 im even more excited. But you seem to enjoy nhl ea sports games that are becoming just like madden.

Actually the report was NCAA won't allow ea to do anther contract with them
because EA and ncaa is getting sued for a dumb reason by a old guy no one ever card about. but it's a done deal now it's 100 percent EA is still making college football games with everything other then ncaa logo and name in game seeing they got a contract with college license company which hapend in early 90's before they had deal with ncaa. ncaa is nothing more then a name at this point.

because EA and ncaa is getting sued for a dumb reason by a old guy no one ever card about. but it's a done deal now it's 100 percent EA is still making college football games with everything other then ncaa logo and name in game seeing they got a contract with college license company which hapend in early 90's before they had deal with ncaa. ncaa is nothing more then a name at this point.
You seem to gloss over the fact that the O'Bannon lawsuit also claims "likeness" because they weren't given names. So, at least for me, playing OSU would be less fun as they couldn't have a number 5 QB that resembles anything like Miller.

Yes it's superficial, but it makes it more real to many

You seem to gloss over the fact that the O'Bannon lawsuit also claims "likeness" because they weren't given names. So, at least for me, playing OSU would be less fun as they couldn't have a number 5 QB that resembles anything like Miller.

Yes it's superficial, but it makes it more real to many
they still use real numbers but this year use fake names. i started playing college football games from ea back in early 90;s when they never looked like players and i did not care.

bread's done
Back