EA Games cuts 2008 games by $10.00

knightbeauchamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Watch your favorite stores for discounts coming soon...

Link to article:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693711/EA-Holding-Massive-Sale.html

Article:
EA Holding Massive Sale

Posted by Stephen Johnson - Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:55 AM

Electronic-Arts.jpg
Electronic Arts is marking down most of its 2008 games lineup. Everything is on sale and must go, go, go. They're practically giving it all away. Here's the price-list:

• Dead Space was $60, now it's $50
  • Red Alert 3 was $40, now it's $30
  • Army of Two was $30, now it's $20
  • Mirror's Edge was $50, now it's $40
  • Madden 09 was $60, now $50
  • NBA Live 09 was $50, now $40
  • FIFA 09 was $60, now $50
Times are obviously tough enough that EA has decide to massively cut prices on its line-up of first-run games that are only a few months old. That's pretty terrifying, but also exhilarating because, hey, cheap games!
As for my picks: I'm going to buy Dead Space. Didn't get a chance to play it before. I highly recommend Army of Two. It's a solid co-op game that's just kinda fun. It's not going to change your life or anything, but check it out -- you'll have more than 20 bucks worth of fun.
Which of these titles do you plan to pick up?

It's a good move. Games on release day have become too expensive. Outside of Killzone 2, I've canceled all of my preorders, and the only reason I kept that one was because I got it for $50. I just won't pay $60 a game except for those games that I can't live without playing immediately, and there are very few games like that. So I think all game companies should follow suit. The starting price on games should be $50-$40. They'd sell a lot more. I know I'd buy a lot more on the day they came out if they were $40 isntead of $60.

How's C+C3? I heard it wasn't mind-blowing, but more of the same with some new bells and whistles. But that's not a bad thing, of course...

I dunno about most of these. I'm dying to pick up Fifa 09, but waiting on a good deal. It's already less than $50 at Best Buy, Amazon, and Walmart.

[quote name='knightbeauchamp']Electronic Arts is marking down most of its 2008 games lineup. Everything is on sale and must go, go, go. They're practically giving it all away. Here's the price-list:

• Dead Space was $60, now it's $50
  • Red Alert 3 was $40, now it's $30
  • Army of Two was $30, now it's $20
  • Mirror's Edge was $50, now it's $40
  • Madden 09 was $60, now $50
  • NBA Live 09 was $50, now $40
  • FIFA 09 was $60, now $50
[/quote]

Practically giving it all away by selling it for $10 less? Uh, no.

Most if not all of those games were on sale within their first few weeks out for those prices or lower, so I don't consider this a bold move by EA. The only good news out of this is the prices with drop with GameStop which means the used price will drop which means with the next 20% coupon these games can be scored for what they should be, in the $20-30 range.

[quote name='charlescheese']It's a good move. Games on release day have become too expensive. Outside of Killzone 2, I've canceled all of my preorders, and the only reason I kept that one was because I got it for $50. I just won't pay $60 a game except for those games that I can't live without playing immediately, and there are very few games like that. So I think all game companies should follow suit. The starting price on games should be $50-$40. They'd sell a lot more. I know I'd buy a lot more on the day they came out if they were $40 isntead of $60.[/quote]

I'm canceling most of my preorders today. If it doesn't come with a bonus I'm dying for, then it's not worth paying $60 plus tax for.

I was hoping for a drop on NHL 09. Too bad.

[quote name='typeRJ']I'm canceling most of my preorders today. If it doesn't come with a bonus I'm dying for, then it's not worth paying $60 plus tax for.

I was hoping for a drop on NHL 09. Too bad.[/QUOTE]

NHL 09 has been $39.99 at Target with a temporary price cut for a while (not sure if this is still going on)...and it was worth every dollar...as much fun as Genesis Hockey...

I really don't get why all these video game media outlets are treating this like a huge story. None of those games is less than four months old and several of them were long overdue for a price cut anyway. Heck, Red Alert has been hovering around $20 at several retailers for the last few weeks and EA only dropped the MSRP to $30. Army of Two is over a year old and Madden 09 has gone through the usual post-Superbowl loss in demand. It should be $20 by now since Madden 2010 is not too far off. This whole thing is a joke and I wish everyone would stop talking about it. Heck, Atlus has dropped prices on more items in the past three months than EA has all year.

[quote name='rvdrock']Finally gonna pick up Army of Two and Battlefield Bad Company, since they are $20 each[/quote]

You'll be satisfied with both for $20. If you can play Army of Two with two people it truly doubles the fun.

Now if it was say, a $25 price cut across the board? *That* would be news. This is kind of in the "meh" category, EA...try again. :twisted:

$10 off is meh. Most games come out at $5 to $10 below MSRP through special promotions, so I'm not excited about this news.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Keep in mind that most (if not all of them) come with SecuROM at no extra charge.[/QUOTE]

Without SecuROM, how else are companies supposed to push legitimate buyers to piracy? :lol:

[quote name='radman99']How's C+C3? I heard it wasn't mind-blowing, but more of the same with some new bells and whistles. But that's not a bad thing, of course...[/QUOTE]

pick it up for $10 this week at BB with a coupon in another thread.

Not worth $40, but worth $10.

IMO it's time for current-gen MSRP to drop to $50 anyway. By now they've paid off development costs and studios are streamlining their programming processes. Even PS3 developers are comfortable with the hardware at this point.

If the stars align, a used copy of Army Of Two can be had at GS for a little more than $10, with this announcement.

[quote name='safire']If the stars align, a used copy of Army Of Two can be had at GS for a little more than $10, with this announcement.[/quote]

Which is awesome. I've been meaning to check it out...

silly people don't you see by making the games drop 10$ then store sales will drop them other $5 to 10$ so its a good thing! i want Mirrors edge but not tills its around 20$

bread's done
Back