EA IS THE DEVIL!!!!! NO MORE ESPN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

fuck you, EA. I can only imagine that they're going to do it with the NBA and NHL, unless ESPN can beat them to it. Someone should sue them for it.. this is becoming a monopolization of the industry and it's total bullshit.

this sucks, now EA will prob jack up the prices back to 50 or even more and rip people off. I hope the NBA and NHL dont follow next

And people bitch about Microsoft making gaming bad. I hope EA spends so much money on this that they get their asses burned.

I wonder what is going to happen with ESPN NBA/MLB/NHL games. The NHL isn't playing now so I don't know at all what's going to happen with that one but the the NBA game is what I am truly concerned with since I don't care too much for Baseball games.

Is there a reliable industry source for this story yet? No, I don't trust Reuters to cover video game news.

[quote name='jlarlee']Looks like ESPN has no choice but stay at the $20 pricepoint. At least they know that they really ruffled EA's feathers[/quote]

Actually this means there is no longer a ESPN NFL2K anything.

The agreement is with the NFL and PLAYERS INC. That means, team names, player names, and player's likeness.

That is exculsivity.

Damn that EA, first they signed an exclusivity deal with NASCAR and now NFL. I think competition brings out the best of game development but obviously EA hates competition. On the other hand:

"Terms of the five year deal were not disclosed"

Leads me to belive that they threw ALOT of money at the NFL for this because they feared being beat by Sega's ESPN again.

[quote name='diggityjones'][quote name='jlarlee']Looks like ESPN has no choice but stay at the $20 pricepoint. At least they know that they really ruffled EA's feathers[/quote]

Actually this means there is no longer a ESPN NFL2K anything.

The agreement is with the NFL and PLAYERS INC. That means, team names, player names, and player's likeness.

That is exculsivity.[/quote]

This just means that if they do make a football game they basically have to make up all their own teams and players.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Damn that EA, first they signed an exclusivity deal with NASCAR and now NFL. I think competition brings out the best of game development but obviously EA hates competition. On the other hand:

"Terms of the five year deal were not disclosed"

Leads me to belive that they threw ALOT of money at the NFL for this because they feared being beat by Sega's ESPN again.[/quote]

Technically, they didn't get beat this year, but yes, they did lose a lot of people to Sega this year. This does show EA was getting worried though...

[quote name='zewone']As long as I have NFL 2K5 I'll be alright. Though I was looking very foward to future NFL 2K games. :([/quote]

People:

Madden is a terrific football game. Not only will it now have all the features it already has. It will be forced to live up to the exculsive arrangement. Anything associated with the NFL has to be up to par.

EA will now have access to NFL Films content as well as NFL Network links.

This could bring a whole new level to the franchise. YES you won't be able to get the new football games for $20 buck, but I prefer a better product. This year is was a real toss up. I played them both and initially thought ESPN 2K5 was better. However, I stopped playing it a few weeks after buying it. Madden will usually hold my attention for months.

I'm actually going to pick up Madden now that the price has dropped.

I hope VC finds some way around it. Hell I wouldnt mind if they made a Arena Football game or used either the Canada or Europe leagues.

[quote name='YoshiFan1'][quote name='big_squirtle']Ahh, the smell of monopoly. They tried to do this years ago when NFL Quaterback club came out for N64, and ended up being a better game. Unfortunately, Quarterback clubs, follow up was a POS and Madden was back in control. Oh well.[/quote]

Actually, it was the other way around. Acclaim got exclusive rights to the NFL license for 1997 on N64 so QBC '98 was the only NFL game on N64 and EA released Madden on 64 as Madden 64 without the NFL license (but it had the player's license).[/quote]

I knew that EA had fought to acquire the NFL license exclusively back then, but wasn't sure why they never got it. Thanks. I appreciate the education. :)

I'm still not buying your game, EA. Now I'm just not buying the ESPN NFL game.

Oh, and screw NCAA Football, too. I hope Sega makes a college game next year so I can just play that, because NCAA 2005 sucked balls.

There's no reason for anyone to be happy about this. Even Madden fanboys. EA now just has the perfect right to be lazy as hell with the series from now on (roster update central), and good luck EVER seeing any kind of price cuts or deals like that 2-for-1 thing or the $39.99 games.

[quote name='diggityjones']

This could bring a whole new level to the franchise.[/quote]

its about time they changed something about it. its been the same game for 6 years.

This reminds me of Madden 64, where they didn't have the NFL liscence for some reason. Playing as the Foxboro Patriots wasn't gratifying.

Also, monopolies are never good.

I didn't buy madden this year. I'll just swap the players on me espn create any that need creating and play espn 2004 in 2005. No sweat

This reminds me of Madden 64, where they didn't have the NFL liscence for some reason. Playing as the Foxboro Patriots wasn't gratifying.

Also, monopolies are never good.

fuck EA...But I gotta give them credit, the 2K series really started to nip the heels of EA with their $20 pricing and EA returns fire by signing an exclusive NFL contract...I still hate them.

[quote name='diggityjones'][quote name='zewone']As long as I have NFL 2K5 I'll be alright. Though I was looking very foward to future NFL 2K games. :([/quote]

People:

Madden is a terrific football game. Not only will it now have all the features it already has. It will be forced to live up to the exculsive arrangement. Anything associated with the NFL has to be up to par.

EA will now have access to NFL Films content as well as NFL Network links.

This could bring a whole new level to the franchise. YES you won't be able to get the new football games for $20 buck, but I prefer a better product. This year is was a real toss up. I played them both and initially thought ESPN 2K5 was better. However, I stopped playing it a few weeks after buying it. Madden will usually hold my attention for months.

I'm actually going to pick up Madden now that the price has dropped.[/quote]

I hate Madden's gameplay so I am fucked. :cry:

[quote name='dafoomie']This was reported last year too... Don't believe everything you read.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3487
From May 19, 2004

However, if it is true, I won't be buying a football game next year. But, I highly doubt that it is. EA would have to pay the NFL more money than it currently gets from them, and everyone else put together.[/quote]

It's on EA's site....this is confirmed.

[quote name='dafoomie']This was reported last year too... Don't believe everything you read.

From May 19, 2004

However, if it is true, I won't be buying a football game next year. But, I highly doubt that it is. EA would have to pay the NFL more money than it currently gets from them, and everyone else put together.[/quote]

What was reported in your link was that they were getting READY to sign an exclusive deal.

[quote name='mmn']EXCELLENT! GO EA!

Madden has always been the best football game anyway.[/quote]
i'm sure your just posting this because everyone keeps saying things like "i hate EA" or "burn in hell EA", but i don't really think the issue is if madden is the best football game or not. the issue is that if this is true, all EA has to do for next year's game is update the rosters and box art and it will sell because there is no alternative nfl game.

the competition between EA and sega forces both of them to make better games every year. that's not to say that EA won't make advancements in the madden series, it's just to say that if they don't they can probably get away with it, and that's not good for anyone but EA.

From May 19, 2004

There's a key difference here: That story said that a deal was being READIED. All of these stories say that the deal has been COMPLETED. That's a world of difference.

I've never been a fan of EA's sports games, or any sports games at all. I'm fine with buying one of the $2 games to take care of any desire I have to play a sports video game.

This can only be bad for the industry, though. Think of all of the complaints about EA's lack of innovation before, back when they had competition from three or four other titles each year. Then imagine what they'll be free to do without pressure to make sales on their backs. Being the only game in town (literally) can make you lazy, and I can easily see that happening here...

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']I'm still not buying your game, EA. Now I'm just not buying the ESPN NFL game.

Oh, and screw NCAA Football, too. I hope Sega makes a college game next year so I can just play that, because NCAA 2005 sucked balls.

There's no reason for anyone to be happy about this. Even Madden fanboys. EA now just has the perfect right to be lazy as hell with the series from now on (roster update central), and good luck EVER seeing any kind of price cuts or deals like that 2-for-1 thing or the $39.99 games.[/quote]

Price cuts will probably gone. As far as being competitive, even when there wasn't a competitor Madden has also tried to remain innovatitve and fresh. The designers take a great deal of pride in their game.

Many on these boards flame on Madden because they are part of a big business franchise. Madden is till a terrific game and don't forget the ORGINATOR. Anything ESPN was doing was taking off of (and occastionally improving) many of the things Madden has done for years.

The only people who should be upset is Sega and ESPN. Great football games will continue to be made by EA. People will buy them and forget all about ESPN @K series, like they forgot about Techmo Bowl.

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='mmn']EXCELLENT! GO EA!

Madden has always been the best football game anyway.[/quote]
i'm sure your just posting this because everyone keeps saying things like "i hate EA" or "burn in hell EA", but i don't really think the issue is if madden is the best football game or not. the issue is that if this is true, all EA has to do for next year's game is update the rosters and box art and it will sell because there is no alternative nfl game.

the competition between EA and sega forces both of them to make better games every year. that's not to say that EA won't make advancements in the madden series, it's just to say that if they don't they can probably get away with it, and that's not good for anyone but EA.[/quote]

No, I posted that because I think it's a genius business move and Madden really is the best football game. Anyone who watches football and is a big fan knows Madden has the most realistic gameplay.

To say that "all EA has to do is update the rosters and it will still sell" is wrong. Every year, no matter if there was heavy competition or not, EA has tried to improve on Madden. To say they'll get lazy is not a fact - its you posting an opinion just as my opinion is that Madden is the best football game.

How about we wait for the new Madden before we start whining about how they haven't changed anything. Just a thought.

[quote name='CheapyD']EA might as well buy the NHL license.
I bet they could pick it up really really cheap.[/quote]

No more Sega Sports hockey :shock: Please Cheapy, don't even joke about that.

[quote name='O.D.D'][quote name='dafoomie']This was reported last year too... Don't believe everything you read.

From May 19, 2004

It's on EA's site....this is confirmed.[/quote]
Link?

[quote name='mmn']How about we wait for the new Madden before we start whining about how they haven't changed anything. Just a thought. [/quote]
I don't care what they changed, I want competition. Competition makes a better product.

THIS IS CONFIMED

http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=654204&highlight=

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge.jsp?news_id=cmt-348b4231&feed=cmt&date=20041213

This is complete BS, and not just because I like the Sega games better. For EA to do this is unfair to everyone else, not just Sega, but 989, the good intended Microsoft Game Studios.....this is extremely irritating. I bought my brother Madden and MVP for Christmas, but I am taking both back and geting Sega sports titles. I call for a boycot of Madden 2006, my boss at Gamestop wont be too happy about it... but f iit.... so mad

[quote name='CheapyD']EA might as well buy the NHL license.

I was thinking the same thing just now. Weird.

I can only come to the conclusion that this is bad for sports games.

In the long run it will weaken the Madden franchise and increase its price. Do you really think we would have seen a price drop on Madden this year if it wasn't for ESPN? EA was scared shitless.

EA did this specifically because they were afraid they couldn't compete with the ESPN franchise.
That's the only conclusion I can draw. If EA is so superior (even if I were to agree they are better), then why do they need exclusivity?

Tis deal is good for EA, bad for everyone else.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='CheapyD']EA might as well buy the NHL license.

I was thinking the same thing just now. Weird.[/quote]

as much as i like the nfl, if ea did that, well id just go nuts because i love the nhl and segas series is always better :(

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='mmn']How about we wait for the new Madden before we start whining about how they haven't changed anything. Just a thought. [/quote]
I don't care what they changed, I want competition. Competition makes a better product.[/quote]

Exactly. Coudn't have said it better dafoomie.

[quote name='jetblac']OMG. Forget about price drops on madden 2006[/quote]

So what?

See, this is the problem. People who are complaining in this thread are doing so because they'll worry they might actually have to *gasp* pay FULL PRICE for a football game if they want it. SHOCKING!

People aren't fans of ESPN Football, they're fans of its $20 price point. People who are saying "the quality of football games will go down now" don't really care about quality at all, they just care about Sega forcing EA to release Madden at cheaper prices.

Madden '96 was the best. Ever since then it has been straight downhill. ;-)

Whether you worship EA or not, I think the competition between Sega and EA was good for all of us.

:(

Also, the last ESPN football game is a very good game and not just because of the price point. There are plenty of positive reviews of it out there.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='jetblac']OMG. Forget about price drops on madden 2006[/quote]

So what?

See, this is the problem. People who are complaining in this thread are doing so because they'll worry they might actually have to *gasp* pay FULL PRICE for a football game if they want it. SHOCKING!

People aren't fans of ESPN Football, they're fans of its $20 price point. People who are saying "the quality of football games will go down now" don't really care about quality at all, they just care about Sega forcing EA to release Madden at cheaper prices.[/quote]
Do you know why ESPN Football was $20? Competition. Since there can no longer be competition, EA can charge any amount of money they want, and put zero effort into the game, and people will have to buy it if they want an NFL football game. Sega's competition forced Madden's price point down. What if EA has another hissy fit and decides it doesn't want to support XBL anymore? There won't be an alternative. Competition is good for the consumer, no matter what the industry or product. Monopolies are universally bad for the consumer, and that is what this is.

bread's done
Back