EA IS THE DEVIL!!!!! NO MORE ESPN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
6729483372758138.JPG
[/quote]

THAT IS fuckING HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

I HATE Monopolies, especially when a good competitor like Espn 2k is forced out of the market by the financial muscle of a company like EA.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']
6729483372758138.JPG
[/quote]

THAT IS shaq-fuing HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote]

lmao

[quote name='A7las']I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

I HATE Monopolies, especially when a good competitor like Espn 2k is forced out of the market by the financial muscle of a company like EA.[/quote]

It's not a monopoly, they bought the rights to a license, just like many companies have before. It wasn't a monopoly then, and it's not one now.

WOuldn't that affect Sony, Microsoft and Midway's games too not just ESPN? I don't see all these companies letting EA get away with this.

[quote name='Matrix2k3']WOuldn't that affect Sony, Microsoft and Midway's games too not just ESPN? I don't see all these companies letting EA get away with this.[/quote]

Microsoft gave up on sports games, and the others had equal chances to get it, they just didn't. It's not all EA's fault, blame the NFL for wanting to go exclusive, EA just took the opportunity.

[quote name='mmn']I'm willing to bet 90% of you wouldn't be complaining if EA said "....and we have already promised that Madden 2006 will be released at the retail price of $19.99".

And its quite funny that you're all "boycotting" the game when none of you would be willing to spend $50 on the game anyhow. EA doesn't give three craps about you people who wait until its $4.99 used at EB Games.

Still, 15 pages of whining has to be a new record around these parts.[/quote]

I don't care about the price. I just don't like Madden's gameplay and I loved ESPN's.

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='mmn']I'm willing to bet 90% of you wouldn't be complaining if EA said "....and we have already promised that Madden 2006 will be released at the retail price of $19.99".

And its quite funny that you're all "boycotting" the game when none of you would be willing to spend $50 on the game anyhow. EA doesn't give three craps about you people who wait until its $4.99 used at EB Games.

Still, 15 pages of whining has to be a new record around these parts.[/quote]

I don't care about the price. I just don't like Madden's gameplay and I loved ESPN's.[/quote]

I'm the opposite, I like Madden's gameplay and don't like ESPN's gameplay.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='A7las']I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

I HATE Monopolies, especially when a good competitor like Espn 2k is forced out of the market by the financial muscle of a company like EA.[/quote]

It's not a monopoly, they bought the rights to a license, just like many companies have before. It wasn't a monopoly then, and it's not one now.[/quote]
They have a monopoly on NFL licensed games for 5 years. Its not an illegal monopoly, but its a monopoly. His point is a valid one, this is bad for the consumer. EA doesn't have to care about the quality of their products or having a competitive price structure, because there is no competition. Their only competition is the previous year's game.

And Mmn, I wouldn't care if EA announced today that Madden will retail for $10. I still don't like having only one company able to produce NFL games, its bad for the consumer when there is no competition and no choice.

[quote name='dafoomie']
They have a monopoly on NFL licensed games for 5 years. Its not an illegal monopoly, but its a monopoly. His point is a valid one, this is bad for the consumer. EA doesn't have to care about the quality of their products or having a competitive price structure, because there is no competition. Their only competition is the previous year's game.
[/quote]

I agree 100%, even if you prefer Madden to ESPN you've gotta still be pissed as this is going to hurt Madden's quality and gameplay. With competitors EA was at least forced to turn out decent products. With that gone expect a steaming pile of poo in a couple years.

I really hope EA doesnt kill the quality of this game. I honestly didnt like espn and have been playing madden for years now. And as you can see in my sig i like EA

I really don't even know what to say ... I'm so shocked and pissed. It's one of those things I wish i could say or do something to oppose ... but alas, I guess I'll be playing ESPN NFL Football 2k5 for the next 5 years. I absolutely hate both the graphics and gameplay of Madden. I was a big fan of Madden Football up until 2000 when I played NFL 2K1. No matter how many petitions or complaints we could or should do ... nothing is going to change anything ... that's the worst part of it all.

The gameplay is a little different between EA and Sega. I don't know that one is really any "better" than the other.

Where I really love NFL2K5 is in the presentation. NFL2K5 just feels like the "real deal" to me. All the ESPN graphics and all the replays are awesome. And you've got to love Chris Berman narrating your highlight reel.

I wonder how long it will be before EA buys the ESPN license, too.

I don't buy a new football game every year, anyway. I was planning on buying all the 2K5 titles and skipping at least next season already. I think I've bought my last football title for a long, long time to come.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='A7las']I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

It's not a monopoly, they bought the rights to a license, just like many companies have before. It wasn't a monopoly then, and it's not one now.[/quote]

And Mmn, I wouldn't care if EA announced today that Madden will retail for $10. I still don't like having only one company able to produce NFL games, its bad for the consumer when there is no competition and no choice.[/quote]

EA still has to be competitive with every other game out there, they can't let their game fall behind any games that get released around the time when Madden. That's what happens during the holidays, even though every game isn't of the same genre, they still have to compete with every other game for the holiday dollar. Don't put 100% of the blame on EA, it should be less than half, because the NFL made the move to want to become an exclusive license. EA, Sammy/Sega, Sony, and Midway all had equal chances, and don't argue about the money, to get it. EA stepped up and took the oppprtunity to get it.

You and many here have said they won't move to Madden next August, good for you, I applaud you for standing for whatever belief you have. I've been with Madden for many years, and I'm staying because I feel the game is the best football game around. If they never got your money before, they won't now, so it's not that big of a deal. However you're going about your strike, I applaud your ability to do so, and wish you luck in having fun with whatever football game you choose next year.

[quote name='murcielago77']I really hope EA doesnt kill the quality of this game. I honestly didnt like espn and have been playing madden for years now. And as you can see in my sig i like EA[/quote]

Just think of how they've handled the NASCAR license, they've improved each game since they got the license greatly. I wouldn't worry too much.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='A7las']I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

When you consider that most gamers are only going to buy a football game that has the NFL name you can see how this IS essentially a monopoly by EA. Since you can now only get an NFL game from them it IS a monopoly.

This is about more than just football. Like I said earlier this tyranical behavior will now be copied and variety, innovation and choice will continue to go down the toilet in the gaming Industry.

If you want to boycott EA remember that they publish more than sports games. I was looking foward to the next time splitters, but since it is being published by EA I will not be getting it until I can get it used or something.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']EA still has to be competitive with every other game out there, they can't let their game fall behind any games that get released around the time when Madden.[/quote]

The Madden name will sell itself. All they'd have to do is update the rosters and change the title screen next year and it would still sell like crazy because Joe Average gamer is a big buyer of the Madden titles - he doesn't look at reviews or message boards, he just buys it because it's Madden. And now that they're the only ones that can make NFL games, it's very possible we won't be seeing much more than that as far as updates go for the next 5 years. There's nothing making them produce a good game anymore, and they don't make money by paying employees extra hours to work harder on it. Hell, they'd probably love the chance to give some employees time off with all the internet screaming about their long hours and unfair employee treatment.

I do not buy EA's sports games, and that will NOT change. So from that aspect, this does not affect me. What DOES affect me is they have taken away my right to play ESPN/Sega's offering. Therefore, I will not stop my car if I see Larry Probst crossing the street.

Fortunately ESPN's latest offering is good enough to keep me busy for at least 2-3 years. And HUGE props to Sega for scaring the shit out of EA so badly that they had to resort to this.

[quote name='cthcky33']there was just some crap show on mtv about madden and how cool it is..... it made me want to punch my tv[/quote]

My friend was on that show. (Joey)

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='A7las']I'm a casual football game player, so no matter how good EA's next 5 football games are, I will refuse to buy them.

And Mmn, I wouldn't care if EA announced today that Madden will retail for $10. I still don't like having only one company able to produce NFL games, its bad for the consumer when there is no competition and no choice.[/quote]

EA still has to be competitive with every other game out there, they can't let their game fall behind any games that get released around the time when Madden. That's what happens during the holidays, even though every game isn't of the same genre, they still have to compete with every other game for the holiday dollar. Don't put 100% of the blame on EA, it should be less than half, because the NFL made the move to want to become an exclusive license. EA, Sammy/Sega, Sony, and Midway all had equal chances, and don't argue about the money, to get it. EA stepped up and took the oppprtunity to get it.

You and many here have said they won't move to Madden next August, good for you, I applaud you for standing for whatever belief you have. I've been with Madden for many years, and I'm staying because I feel the game is the best football game around. If they never got your money before, they won't now, so it's not that big of a deal. However you're going about your strike, I applaud your ability to do so, and wish you luck in having fun with whatever football game you choose next year.[/quote]
Honestly, do you think that if they changed nothing but the label in 2006, that they'd have trouble selling copies? And do you honestly think anyone but EA had an equal chance at this? Who else has that kind of cash for one franchise? Who else's football franchise is that critical to the company? And I have bought Madden before, but I will never buy it again.

This isn't solely about convictions and beliefs. You say you feel that its the best football game around. Well, many people would disagree. But now it doesn't matter, its either Madden football or no football at all. I won't be buying any NFL products either.

It is a virtual monopoly which EA is creating. Regardless of which game you like, it can't be denied that there are two different directions which the franchises were going in. Personally, it was VC's focus on realism that made me change over from Madden.

Madden's game is being continually improved of course, but apparently EA thought it would be more cost effective to get an exclusive license than put in the hours to compete with ESPN. It's a shame because the ones who are losing out aren't the casual gamers who don't mind dropping the money on Madden, but cheapass hardcore sports gamers who live and breathe football (myself included).

We definitely are in the minority so I doubt anything will come of boycotts/petitions/etc, but I still am going to fire off e-mails in the slim chance something can be done.

EDIT: Hopefully they keep up roster updates for 2k5. That may be my only outlet for football gaming for the next 5 years. =/

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']However you're going about your strike, I applaud your ability to do so, and wish you luck in having fun with whatever football game you choose next year.[/quote]

I choose...hell, I have no choice.

Well i have to say i was shocked by this. I love madden always have always will but i have to say its messed up that others wont get the game they want AND now EA can charge what ever the hell they want!! I didnt want ESPN to outsell Madden since i like it more but it did affect EA and now their sports games drop faster than ever before. I was hoping to pick up Madden 06 for 30 on release instead of like 50 bucks for :cry:
As for midway, good for them but i still dont forgive them from NFL Blitz Pro.

[quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Why don't you just get it over with and get on your knees now?
Anyway, EA has a history of being corporate. Seriously what with the overworked employees and this among other things. Someday I hope EA goes down the toilet or gets bought out. If the industry copied EA or EA lead the industry right now it would be in the toilet. It's because of companies that take chances and lose money we see innovation, never from EA usually with one exception and that game bombed.

I'm totally boycotting all EA games now. I'm pretty sure they can get sued for doing this, if they can prove it was done maliciously (sp?)

People, its just a game, its not the end of the world. Why would you waste your time boycotting for a game? BIG SHAQ-FUING WHOOP. If yo really like football just get the madden series. ESPN and madden are practically equal anyway. Just pay the extra 30 bucks if you care. Don't waste your time boycotting to save 30 bucks. The only problem with this is since EA has rights to the NFL teams and players, it will have no competition, so they don't have to squeeze in as much content. but if you really like football, instead of wasting your time bitching about it, just buy the madden series. I'm still pissed but we can't do anything about it. Not enough people will boycott anyway, so EA won't give a crap. Flame on! :hot:

[quote name='6669']I'm totally boycotting all EA games now. I'm pretty sure they can get sued for doing this, if they can prove it was done maliciously (sp?)[/quote]

They cannot get sued for this, it's not illegal to buy a license, because that's what EA did.

[quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Why don't you just get it over with and get on your knees now?
Anyway, EA has a history of being corporate. Seriously what with the overworked employees and this among other things. Someday I hope EA goes down the toilet or gets bought out. If the industry copied EA or EA lead the industry right now it would be in the toilet. It's because of companies that take chances and lose money we see innovation, never from EA usually with one exception and that game bombed.[/quote]

If you don't know by now, the game industry is a business. Every company is in it to make money, if they're not, then they won't succeed. It's that simple, if EA hadn't gotten the NFL license, someone else would've. Sega, Midway, Sony, or Microsoft would have it and we'd bitch just the same. Lots of people would boycott their games, and we'd be at the same place. Get over it, it's done, now look forward to what will happen with Sammy/Sega and whoever looks to make a football game next year. You wanted innovation, you got it. Since there's no NFL license for the other companies, they have to be innovative.

[quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Well, given that you could not answer my arguments with anything resembling a coherent answer, here goes...

hoggle.jpg

"Hey everybody, look at me! My name's mmn! I love to make you mad and eat your children! Get away from my bridge!"

hmm. Yes, that will do for now.

myke.

[quote name='CrimsonGeist']People, its just a game, its not the end of the world. Why would you waste your time boycotting for a game? BIG SHAQ-FUING WHOOP. If yo really like football just get the madden series. ESPN and madden are practically equal anyway. Just pay the extra 30 bucks if you care. Don't waste your time boycotting to save 30 bucks. The only problem with this is since EA has rights to the NFL teams and players, it will have no competition, so they don't have to squeeze in as much content. but if you really like football, instead of wasting your time bitching about it, just buy the madden series. I'm still pissed but we can't do anything about it. Not enough people will boycott anyway, so EA won't give a crap. Flame on! :hot:[/quote]

It's much more than that, little fella. EA can now charge whatever they want. Either we pay the money or we can't play a new NFL-licensed game next year.

From Gamespot's article on the decision by the NFL to make their license exclusive:

A source close to the negotiations said it was at a spring, 2004, off-site meeting attended by top NFL officials that the league determined it would take the league license exclusive. GameSpot was told the league put the license up for bid and that EA was among as many as five software publishers competing for it. An EA spokesperson said today, "Obviously, exclusives are more expensive. We are most certainly paying a premium."

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='ajh2298']Hey here is the cover art for the new Madden:

Hitler-Madden-06-Cover.jpg
[/quote]

lol, this was posted about two pages ago in this same thread. :D[/quote]

:rofl:

That is absolutely laugh out loud hilarious. Thanks for the good laugh man!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']From Gamespot's article on the decision by the NFL to make their license exclusive:

A source close to the negotiations said it was at a spring, 2004, off-site meeting attended by top NFL officials that the league determined it would take the league license exclusive. GameSpot was told the league put the license up for bid and that EA was among as many as five software publishers competing for it. An EA spokesperson said today, "Obviously, exclusives are more expensive. We are most certainly paying a premium."[/quote]

If that's true then this decision had nothing to do with ESPN going with the $20 price.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']From Gamespot's article on the decision by the NFL to make their license exclusive:

A source close to the negotiations said it was at a spring, 2004, off-site meeting attended by top NFL officials that the league determined it would take the league license exclusive. GameSpot was told the league put the license up for bid and that EA was among as many as five software publishers competing for it. An EA spokesperson said today, "Obviously, exclusives are more expensive. We are most certainly paying a premium."[/quote]

First of all please stop kissing EA's ass. Your 'this isn't a big deal' attitude is totally wrong as proven by many here already.

Secondly that doesn't mean shit since EA could have contacted the NFL and said "why don't you put up the NFL license up for exlusive bid so that we can buy it for a shit load of money and it won't look so bad". Shady backroom deals are common with evil, greedy corporations.

And I hope they raise the price of the next madden to $80 so I can laugh at the ass raping EA will be giving you and all other madden fanboys.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']From Gamespot's article on the decision by the NFL to make their license exclusive:

First of all please stop kissing EA's ass. Your 'this isn't a big deal' attitude is totally wrong as proven by many here already.

Secondly that doesn't mean shit since EA could have contacted the NFL and said "why don't you put up the NFL license up for exlusive bid so that we can buy it for a shit load of money and it won't look so bad". Shady backroom deals are common with evil, greedy corporations.

And I hope they raise the price of the next madden to $80 so I can laugh at the ass raping EA will be giving you and all other madden fanboys.[/quote]

It's a big deal, there I said it. You happy now? I'm not going to be fucking pissed off by EA because I feel they weren't underhandedly deceptive in doing this. There's no proof to what you're saying but there's proof that the NFL decided to go exclusive last spring, before the ESPN series went to $19.99. I feel that everyone seems to be going way overboard in calling EA the devil or Hitler in that this could've gone 4 other ways. We'd still be pissed because this would've happened anyway.

I haven't gotten as much playtime with Madden this year as I usually do, so this might be the first year I don't buy Madden. I've admitted that this doesn't make me hate EA, I'm disappointed, sure, because I like to argue with ESPN fanboys about which is better; I've said that more than I need to. I'm just providing some more details about how this all went down. If you don't like, don't quote it.

bread's done
Back