EA IS THE DEVIL!!!!! NO MORE ESPN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Well, given that you could not answer my arguments with anything resembling a coherent answer, here goes...

hoggle.jpg

"Hey everybody, look at me! My name's mmn! I love to make you mad and eat your children! Get away from my bridge!"

hmm. Yes, that will do for now.

myke.[/quote]

crying_baby.jpg

"Hey everyone, look at me! My name's myke! I haven't stopped crying in three days! I also shit myself and have nobody around to change me! WAAAAH! EA SUCKS WAAAAAH!!!"

Now that its come out that the NFL is the one who was looking for an exclusive partner, I think its stupid to blame EA for this. EA had the winning bid for the rights. The other companies should have bid higher. EA did nothing wrong here. It will cut down the competition, but blame the NFL for that, not EA.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Why don't you just get it over with and get on your knees now?
Anyway, EA has a history of being corporate. Seriously what with the overworked employees and this among other things. Someday I hope EA goes down the toilet or gets bought out. If the industry copied EA or EA lead the industry right now it would be in the toilet. It's because of companies that take chances and lose money we see innovation, never from EA usually with one exception and that game bombed.[/quote]

If you don't know by now, the game industry is a business. Every company is in it to make money, if they're not, then they won't succeed. It's that simple, if EA hadn't gotten the NFL license, someone else would've. Sega, Midway, Sony, or Microsoft would have it and we'd bitch just the same. Lots of people would boycott their games, and we'd be at the same place. Get over it, it's done, now look forward to what will happen with Sammy/Sega and whoever looks to make a football game next year. You wanted innovation, you got it. Since there's no NFL license for the other companies, they have to be innovative.[/quote]

You do realize I was critisizing EA in general right? They run their gaming company TOO much like a regular company and hardly take any risks. If the gaming company in general followed EA we'd all think the games were stale and unoriginal, at least most.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Well, given that you could not answer my arguments with anything resembling a coherent answer, here goes...

hoggle.jpg

"Hey everybody, look at me! My name's mmn! I love to make you mad and eat your children! Get away from my bridge!"

hmm. Yes, that will do for now.

myke.[/quote]

crying_baby.jpg

"Hey everyone, look at me! My name's myke! I haven't stopped crying in three days! I also shit myself and have nobody around to change me! WAAAAH! EA SUCKS WAAAAAH!!!"[/quote]

Man, that totally looks like me as an infant. Good work.

Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font.

On my desk by Friday.

From you, however, I'll settle for one coherent sentence.

myke.

[quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='mmn']This thread is pure brilliance. I haven't laughed so hard in months. Thanks whiners.[/quote]

Why don't you just get it over with and get on your knees now?
Anyway, EA has a history of being corporate. Seriously what with the overworked employees and this among other things. Someday I hope EA goes down the toilet or gets bought out. If the industry copied EA or EA lead the industry right now it would be in the toilet. It's because of companies that take chances and lose money we see innovation, never from EA usually with one exception and that game bombed.[/quote]

If you don't know by now, the game industry is a business. Every company is in it to make money, if they're not, then they won't succeed. It's that simple, if EA hadn't gotten the NFL license, someone else would've. Sega, Midway, Sony, or Microsoft would have it and we'd bitch just the same. Lots of people would boycott their games, and we'd be at the same place. Get over it, it's done, now look forward to what will happen with Sammy/Sega and whoever looks to make a football game next year. You wanted innovation, you got it. Since there's no NFL license for the other companies, they have to be innovative.[/quote]

You do realize I was critisizing EA in general right? They run their gaming company TOO much like a regular company and hardly take any risks. If the gaming company in general followed EA we'd all think the games were stale and unoriginal, at least most.[/quote]

Yeah, that's called business. They are a publicly traded company, so they have stock holders to listen to. That's why there's not much innovation, stock holders want the safe bet and not the risk. It's not because they're afraid, it's because they have to answer to these people who don't want them to take chances.

I dunno if it has been brought up yet, but when was the last time that EA DEVELOPED a great game, not just have a other studio (Maxis, Criterion Games, or any other studio) that they bought because they see that there is potential in the studio to create a hit. I think that they have forgone the whole create a decent game under the EA banner and instead do the "oh you are in the middle of creting a great game, let us buy you." I for one an glad that DICE stockholders said no to EA when they offered to buy them this week!

So before this exclusive contract was set, was the nfl granting licenses on a year-by-year basis? What really sucks is how Sega must've already had a lot of good ideas ready for the next NFL 2K game and now those resources are wasted if they don't do another football game.

I'll admit that I'm a SEGA fanboy of sorts, not to the demise of other companies but I really enjoy most of their work. I think their football games always blew away EA's offerings. (Personally I still find it ironic that SEGA was making better, or at least comparable football games against EA when EA practically was created by the Genesis.)

Anyway, as much as this sucks, I'm kind of looking forward to what will come of this on the other side of the coin. I won't by Madden. Never would've before, probably never will. But what will SEGA come up with now? Their the kings of innovation even if that's to their demise (Game Gear, SEGA CD, 32X, anyone?). I think we have the potential to see the rather stale genre of sports games (and specifically football games) beefed back up. Remember Mutant League Football (yes, I know it was an EA game...)? That was so much fun because it was different. I don't need to play as my home team to have fun in a football game. I'll give props to SEGA and other companies for releasing new breeds of football games, or even current games without the names. What would be truly sad is if everyone dropped out altogether.

Ah well...

daroga

[quote name='zombieman']I dunno if it has been brought up yet, but when was the last time that EA DEVELOPED a great game, not just have a other studio (Maxis, Criterion Games, or any other studio) that they bought because they see that there is potential in the studio to create a hit. I think that they have forgone the whole create a decent game under the EA banner and instead do the "oh you are in the middle of creting a great game, let us buy you." I for one an glad that DICE stockholders said no to EA when they offered to buy them this week![/quote]

when is the last time Sony did either? Either develop one, or develop a good one ?

"We (EA) have proposed exclusivity several times in the past, but this year, in the spring the NFL had an off-site meeting, and they decided to consider bids for exclusivity," Brown told IGN in an exclusive interview.

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball.

IGN Article

Just a couple of quotes from the IGN article that I found interesting.

[quote name='Greyman7']
"We (EA) have proposed exclusivity several times in the past, but this year, in the spring the NFL had an off-site meeting, and they decided to consider bids for exclusivity," Brown told IGN in an exclusive interview.

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball.

IGN Article

Just a couple of quotes from the IGN article that I found interesting.[/quote]

That is exactly what I said earlier. To believe that EA didn't have anything to do with the NFL putting exclusive rights up for bid is retarded. EA had everything to do with it! They kept waving loads of cash in front of the NFL's face until they gave in and sold out to EA which they knew would be the highest bidder from the start.

And if EA takes over all of the pro sports names expect their games to shoot up to $70 a pop or more. After all, they know the dumb fanboys will pay it anyways. :puke:

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Greyman7']

IGN Article

Just a couple of quotes from the IGN article that I found interesting.[/quote]

That is exactly what I said earlier. To believe that EA didn't have anything to do with the NFL putting exclusive rights up for bid is retarded. EA had everything to do with it! They kept waving loads of cash in front of the NFL's face until they gave in and sold out to EA which they knew would be the highest bidder from the start.

And if EA takes over all of the pro sports names expect their games to shoot up to $70 a pop or more. After all, they know the dumb fanboys will pay it anyways. :puke:[/quote]

That reminds me. I need to buy the new ESPN NBA. gives a giant middle finger to EA.
I also plan on buying College Hoops.
I would buy the Basketball games for $20 a pop but I sure as hell am not buying one for $50 period. And yes I like Sega's and won't touch Live.

[quote name='mykevermin']Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font. [/quote]

I haven't answered it because nothing I say is going to convince you to change your mind. You've already said you dislike Madden. What's the point in trying to argue with you about a game I know you already dislike?

So how about this, whiner, you keep on crying about how this won't benefit anyone and competition is for the greater good and blah blah blah. I've seen women who pout less than you do, princess.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='mykevermin']Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font. [/quote]

I haven't answered it because nothing I say is going to convince you to change your mind. You've already said you dislike Madden. What's the point in trying to argue with you about a game I know you already dislike?

So how about this, whiner, you keep on crying about how this won't benefit anyone and competition is for the greater good and blah blah blah. I've seen women who pout less than you do, princess.[/quote]

How, for you, then, will it be improved? Humor me, will ya?

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='mykevermin']Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font. [/quote]

So how about this, whiner, you keep on crying about how this won't benefit anyone and competition is for the greater good and blah blah blah. I've seen women who pout less than you do, princess.[/quote]

myke.[/quote]

Better question: why would you expect anything other than cookie crumbs to come out of him? What in his history in this thread would lead you to believe he has the capacity for any kind of insight?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='mykevermin']Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font. [/quote]

myke.[/quote]

Better question: why would you expect anything other than cookie crumbs to come out of him? What in his history in this thread would lead you to believe he has the capacity for any kind of insight?[/quote]

Indirect answer: because I'm proofreading a reference section for academic work from a person who doesn't know much about citation formatting, so I need something to do at the moment. I'm bored shitless.

I'm also genuinely curious what reasons people may have, however few of them there are, for thinking this is a great acquisition.

myke

[quote name='Mookyjooky']People talk alot of shit, but I doubt any of you could boycott EA.[/quote]

At the rate they buy up other companies it won't be easy. Me, I'm settling for only buying their games used. I mean, they publish the good games of other companies. I'm not not going to play Timesplitters 3, among others. I'll just have to wait for someone else to get rid of it.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mmn'][quote name='mykevermin']Riddle me this shecky. The question you've been incapable of answering since page one. How does this license allow EA to make a better game? In what ways will this acquistion benefit gamers? You have a maximum of four pages, double-spaced, with no greater than a 12 point font. [/quote]

myke.[/quote]

Better question: why would you expect anything other than cookie crumbs to come out of him? What in his history in this thread would lead you to believe he has the capacity for any kind of insight?[/quote]

Indirect answer: because I'm proofreading a reference section for academic work from a person who doesn't know much about citation formatting, so I need something to do at the moment. I'm bored shitless.

I'm also genuinely curious what reasons people may have, however few of them there are, for thinking this is a great acquisition.

myke[/quote]

It's a hella great acquisition. I mean, not for us, the gamer, but I certainly can't blame EA for going for the throat against other companies. People worry about their monopolistic tendencies, but the way I see it EA is becoming an awful lot like mid-90s Acclaim. They've got a lot of licenses and are riding high right now, but I don't think it will last forever. They'll come down in a few years, because, let's face it: they DON'T really innovate and with new online based distribution schemes, like Steam, the days where a small developer can't succeed without a major backer like EA are drawing to a close.

First, thanks for taking my question seriously; though I've been pretty damn snarky on this thread, I am curious why anyone would think Madden wouldn't go down the tubes.

I am curious that you compare Acclaim and EA, though. Yes, Acclaim was where EA is (somewhat), and yes, Acclaim fell on their ass. But I would argue that the licenses that EA has are near unbeatable. People can live without Turok or WWF games (well, except maybe myself and Guyver). I wouldn't say the same is true about NFL, NBA, NASCAR, or the myriad of other sports games, many of which are owned by EA exclusively now.

Good points, though.

myke.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']People talk alot of shit, but I doubt any of you could boycott EA.[/quote]

I certainly can. The only EA game I bought this generation was Madden 2001 when it was about $3 at Gamestop.

EA makes good games, but I won't lose any sleep over not playing their games.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Mookyjooky']People talk alot of shit, but I doubt any of you could boycott EA.[/quote]

I certainly can. The only EA game I bought this generation was Madden 2001 when it was about $3 at Gamestop.

EA makes good games, but I won't lose any sleep over not playing their games.[/quote]

As can I... I don't need to buy an EA game new... and after a game hits the used market, it is of absolutely no benefit to it's parent company.
IF EA makes something so spectacular that I have to have it, I'll just buy it used.

I would, in a fucking heartbeat. The only EA game that I've paid actual money for is C&C Generals + Zero Hour.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']no matter what company makes whatever game, if im interested in it, ill buy it...thats the bottom line....[/quote]

But do you buy it new or used? That actually sends a message to the company releasing the software.

I could do it easily. I never buy madden anyway. I can avoid Harry potter. I have a plethora of FPS titles to take over Medal of Honor. The Sims isn't for me.

I find that I rarely play EA games.

It's tough to not buy Rogue Agent for me. Even if it's garbage, it's still a 007 game, and I'm a 007 freak.

I won't buy it, though. It's hard, but I won't.

myke.

It's not that they couldn't...it's that they won't.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Mookyjooky']People talk alot of shit, but I doubt any of you could boycott EA.[/quote]

It's not that they couldn't...it's that they won't.[/quote]

That's a much better point.
I do doubt that most people actually WILL boycott EA.
Most easily could, but since most of the issues don't effect them, they don't care.

SEGA COMMENT:

SEGA has maintained a high level of competition in the football genre by publishing critically-acclaimed sports brands such as ESPN NFL 2K5. The agreement endorsed by EA, the National Football League and PLAYERS INC removes the competitive playing field; limiting creativity and innovation -- two fundamental principles that drive SEGA and our industry to produce better games. SEGA will continue to publish a diverse portfolio of sports and entertainment content.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='trustcompany1013']no matter what company makes whatever game, if im interested in it, ill buy it...thats the bottom line....[/quote]

But do you buy it new or used? That actually sends a message to the company releasing the software.[/quote]

new, but 99% of the times not on release or anywhere near release

[quote name='PKRipp3r']SEGA COMMENT:

SEGA has maintained a high level of competition in the football genre by publishing critically-acclaimed sports brands such as ESPN NFL 2K5. The agreement endorsed by EA, the National Football League and PLAYERS INC removes the competitive playing field; limiting creativity and innovation -- two fundamental principles that drive SEGA and our industry to produce better games. SEGA will continue to publish a diverse portfolio of sports and entertainment content.[/quote]

I really do enjoy SEGA's innovative and determined attitude.

[quote name='mykevermin']determined? That statement says they won't be producing any football.[/quote]

Never said it did. But even when a giant like EA starts throwing their weight around, they don't start crtying or whining about it. They just change their plans with the changing environment and go on. I'm sure they're not happy about but they're taking it in stride.

edit: grammar

You know what? It's about GAME. I hope SEGA continues the football games (maybe they can secure exclusive rights with the Arena league and the NCAA) and they come out with the best and most enjoyable football game next year.

Then, will you play a been-there, done-that football game with the same ol' shi+, or will you get the cheaper and better game.

Think about it. It all comes down to game.

[quote name='trustcompany1013']no matter what company makes whatever game, if im interested in it, ill buy it...thats the bottom line....[/quote]

That is why companies like EA can get away with shit like this because gamers only care about their little bubble of happiness and don't care about the greater good.

That is the typical gamer attitude: settle for a mediocre game that you can play NOW instead sending a message with your wallet and playing a great game later.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Mookyjooky']People talk alot of shit, but I doubt any of you could boycott EA.[/quote]

EA makes good games, but I won't lose any sleep over not playing their games.[/quote]

As can I... I don't need to buy an EA game new... and after a game hits the used market, it is of absolutely no benefit to it's parent company.
IF EA makes something so spectacular that I have to have it, I'll just buy it used.[/quote]

I concur. I also haven't bought a single EA game this generation. Why would I when the Sega titles were just as good and cheaper? I will boycott EA.

Madden is the only good thing going for EA so they're doing what needs to be done to save their a$$. Whatever I'll just skip football next year.

P.S. The LOTR RPG from EA sucks. Worst company ever.

myke.

Alright.

To me, if ESPN had stayed and kept pumping out games at $20, Madden's quality would've declined.

See, to remain competitive, and cost effective, EA would've done things like cut Madden's staff and put less hours of work into the game. Yes, EA probably would've released Madden at $50, but you saw how fast it dropped to $20 this year (about 3 months, the way I figure it) when last year it stayed at $50 well past the Superbowl.

In order to save money on the production aspect of Madden, who knows how far EA would've gone. I really like EA as a company, because they make good games, but I realize all they care about is how profitable their games are, especially their biggest game.

Now that they have exclusivity, they don't have to worry about the monkey on their back in ESPN. They can calm down, add as much staff as they need, and really get to work on making a great game. Now they NEED to make improvements to Madden, because they have to convince the ESPN audience to play their game. They need the ESPN audience to justify the cost of paying the NFL a ridiculous amount of money for the exclusivity. That's why its my belief that they'll try to appeal to everyone by making solid improvements in almost every aspect of the game.

People have always said ESPN has better presentation while Madden has better gameplay, and that if you could combine the two, you'd have damn near a perfect football game. Well, now there's nothing to stop EA from doing this. Obviously EA has no problems copying an idea (look at the LOTR RPG thats almost a direct clone of Final Fantasy). Imagine if they incorporated the whole "Monday Night Football" aura into the game more. Maybe they get together with ESPN and go "hey, now that you aren't able to work with Sega anymore, you could throw support behind Madden". So then, maybe, just maybe, you get things like Chris Berman doing his halftime show on EA's game. You get the idea.

There's really nothing holding back EA now from making the best football game we've ever seen, because they now have all the power. See, unlike most people in this thread, I don't expect them to drop the ball - they didn't let me down with the LOTR franchise, the Burnout franchise, etc etc. I'm optimistic this will end up being a good thing for gamers and I'm convinced all this complaining is simply because people on these forums won't be able to buy a brand new football game for $20 next year.

Now you probably still aren't going to give Madden a shot next year, which is fine, but at least try to be a little more positive and don't shit all over EA before the game is even released. If Madden comes out next year and sucks badly, feel free to write complaint letters and boycott and all that you want to do. But at least let them make the game first.

Better question: why would you expect anything other than cookie crumbs to come out of him? What in his history in this thread would lead you to believe he has the capacity for any kind of insight?

Well I do have the capacity for this - how about you go eat a dick asshole.

[quote name='mmn']

myke.

Alright.

To me, if ESPN had stayed and kept pumping out games at $20, Madden's quality would've declined.

See, to remain competitive, and cost effective, EA would've done things like cut Madden's staff and put less hours of work into the game. Yes, EA probably would've released Madden at $50, but you saw how fast it dropped to $20 this year (about 3 months, the way I figure it) when last year it stayed at $50 well past the Superbowl.

In order to save money on the production aspect of Madden, who knows how far EA would've gone. I really like EA as a company, because they make good games, but I realize all they care about is how profitable their games are, especially their biggest game.

Now that they have exclusivity, they don't have to worry about the monkey on their back in ESPN. They can calm down, add as much staff as they need, and really get to work on making a great game. Now they NEED to make improvements to Madden, because they have to convince the ESPN audience to play their game. They need the ESPN audience to justify the cost of paying the NFL a ridiculous amount of money for the exclusivity. That's why its my belief that they'll try to appeal to everyone by making solid improvements in almost every aspect of the game.

People have always said ESPN has better presentation while Madden has better gameplay, and that if you could combine the two, you'd have damn near a perfect football game. Well, now there's nothing to stop EA from doing this. Obviously EA has no problems copying an idea (look at the LOTR RPG thats almost a direct clone of Final Fantasy). Imagine if they incorporated the whole "Monday Night Football" aura into the game more. Maybe they get together with ESPN and go "hey, now that you aren't able to work with Sega anymore, you could throw support behind Madden". So then, maybe, just maybe, you get things like Chris Berman doing his halftime show on EA's game. You get the idea.

There's really nothing holding back EA now from making the best football game we've ever seen, because they now have all the power. See, unlike most people in this thread, I don't expect them to drop the ball - they didn't let me down with the LOTR franchise, the Burnout franchise, etc etc. I'm optimistic this will end up being a good thing for gamers and I'm convinced all this complaining is simply because people on these forums won't be able to buy a brand new football game for $20 next year.

Now you probably still aren't going to give Madden a shot next year, which is fine, but at least try to be a little more positive and don't shit all over EA before the game is even released. If Madden comes out next year and sucks badly, feel free to write complaint letters and boycott and all that you want to do. But at least let them make the game first.
[/quote]

I doubt I will give it a try, because as I've noted, there's something about the core gameplay; whether it's the timing, control, visuals, or something else, I'm not certain. I've never said it was a bad game; someone (jmcc) earlier mentioned that they likened EA to Acclaim. While that's a decent comparison, I will not say that EA makes bad games; Acclaim, on the other hand...well, they've been shit since the NES.

Anyway, I think you make some very good points. I would argue, however, that the money EA spent going exclusive far exceeds the overhead that they would need to stay competitive with Sega; there are, of course, some jokes about overtime not costing EA a dime, but I think you're onto something. I may not agree with it, but I recognize its plausibility.

I was also under the impression that Sega was going to boost the price this year; I thought the 2K5 sports shots were like television sitcom episodes about drugs; first, the dealers offer you some for free, and make you pay after you are hooked. If I recall, there was some mention of this on Gamespot a few weeks back; Take-Two was contemplating going to $20 for this year as well. Of course, it doesn't matter, because one can argue that EA's actions were presuming that they would be $20 again. That is perfectly rational.

I still believe that, given competition, sports game will only get better. In the meantime, though, I appreciate your elaborating on some key points.

sho' nuff.

myke

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='trustcompany1013']no matter what company makes whatever game, if im interested in it, ill buy it...thats the bottom line....[/quote]

That is why companies like EA can get away with shit like this because gamers only care about their little bubble of happiness and don't care about the greater good.

That is the typical gamer attitude: settle for a mediocre game that you can play NOW instead sending a message with your wallet and playing a great game later.[/quote]

Preach it, brotha!

bread's done
Back