EA publishing new Simpsons title (new info)

deadite76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.xboxic.com/news/2659#more-2659

"Live Gamer noticed that EBGames has Simpsons: The Game listed on their website. The game is listed on the site for a November 1, 2007 release at the usual price of $60. While this is a while after the release of the film, I doubt many will mind. According to EBGames, the game will be developed and published by none other then EA Games."

Coming out for 360, PS2/3, Wii, DS and PSP.

I'm assuming it's being released around the same time the movie hits DVD.

UPDATE (5/09):
EA isn't giving up the entire premise of the new Simpsons game yet, but it did say that the entire family (save Maggie) will be playable. (That's Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa, if you're keeping score.) Apparently, the Simpsons will realize just a few minutes into the storyline that they're actually trapped inside a video game, and they'll use that newfound freedom to envision new powers for themselves that they can access throughout the game's action levels. For instance, Homer will pick up calories throughout each level by picking up edible power-ups, and once his calorie meter is full, he'll be able to transform into the Homerball, a massive sphere of flab that can roll over and demolish almost any object or enemy. Later on in the demo level, we saw Homer pick up a chili pepper that turned him into a more powerful lava version of the Homerball. By contrast, Bart's special ability will be to transform into Bartman, which will let him glide around slowly with his cape. Naturally, he'll also have a slingshot projectile attack to use for ranged offense when the need arises.

The Simpsons' realization that they're imprisoned inside a game may inform their superpowers, but according to EA, it will more importantly inspire them to indiscriminately lampoon the video game industry (including EA itself, purportedly) and pop culture in general. Alas, representatives on hand weren't prepared to offer any examples of the kind of referential humor we can expect to see in the game, but a number of posters at the event amusingly inserted Simpsons characters into scenes from Medal of Honor, Batman Begins, Grand Theft Auto, and EverQuest, so we have a decent idea of the direction the game may be going in.

The level we did see was called "Around the World in 80 Bites" and centered on Homer eating his way through an international food festival in Springfield, which had him doing battle with a number of familiar characters, including Groundskeeper Willy, who was blocking the way to the next area. In addition to occasionally invoking the Homerball, Homer was able to attack with punches and kicks similar to those seen in the classic Konami Simpsons arcade game of yore. This particular area didn't show us a lot of the sort of referential humor that EA says will pervade the final product, but the game is still in a prealpha state, so this demo served as an early indication of the final gameplay more than anything.

Tommy Vercetti has nothing on Itchy and his homicidal tendencies.
On the upside, the demo level did give us a good look at the visual style EA is using, which looks like it will very faithfully re-create the appearance of the hit TV series. The characters are cel-shaded, of course, but EA is also implementing a technique that will essentially flatten the character models from whichever angle the camera is viewing them from, to attempt to re-create the 2D, hand-drawn look seen in the show. Speaking of capturing the show's essence, a number of the series' writers penned the script for the game--which will amount to nearly an hour of original cutscenes and dialogue, all voiced by the show's original actors. This will naturally be a family-rated game, but the Simpsons were said to be spouting fouler dialogue in the game than you'd expect from the show. The Simpsons' creative authority also supervised the creation of plenty of new characters and locations for the game, which will clearly range far beyond the nebulous confines of Springfield itself.

EA is referring to the 16 levels in the game as "episodes," and each one will take place in a new environment with a unique title and storyline. Each of these episodes will feature two Simpsons family members, and you'll be able to switch between the two at any time. What's more, a second player can grab a controller at any time, hit the start button, and commandeer Simpson number two for some split-screen action. We'll hope to get some hands-on time with this one in the coming weeks to find out how well EA is living up to its obviously serious commitment to this hallowed franchise. The Simpsons' newest game is due out in late fall of this year.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/thesimpsons/news.html?sid=6170311&tag=recent_updates;title;0

Great! A company that's had little to no creativity for over a decade is bringing us a game based on a series that's had little to no creativity for over a decade.

Meh, this can't be any worse than the simpsons' games out already. Except for Simpsons arcade, that game was all kind of amazing.

Too bad this isn't coming out for Xbox 360 -- not because I'd buy it, but because it would come with the chance of EA trying to release The Simpsons arcade beat-'em-up on Xbox Live Arcade, as a tie-in.

Maybe someone will do that as a tie-in when the shitty movie comes out.

[quote name='Brak']Too bad this isn't coming out for Xbox 360 -- not because I'd buy it, but because it would come with the chance of EA trying to release The Simpsons arcade beat-'em-up on Xbox Live Arcade, as a tie-in.

Maybe someone will do that as a tie-in when the shitty movie comes out.[/QUOTE]

Heh, my first thought when I read the OP was "so... are we getting the arcade game or not?"

If Konami and Ubi worked through the licensing issues though, I think that EA could eventually allow the game to be released on XBLA... not like they'd have to do any work on it.

[quote name='Brak']Too bad this isn't coming out for Xbox 360 -- not because I'd buy it, but because it would come with the chance of EA trying to release The Simpsons arcade beat-'em-up on Xbox Live Arcade, as a tie-in.

Oops!! The link lead to the 360 release. Fixed to avoid confusion.

Looking at the Simpsons games trackrecord theres no way this game will be worse than anything else out (besides Hit and Run, that game was good.)

Great! A company that's had little to no creativity for over a decade is bringing us a game based on a series that's had little to no creativity for over a decade.

Uh, QBTEWIWTWIST?

(Quoted Because That's EXACTLY What I Was Thinking When I Saw This)

I thought this has been known for awhile now?

As film-goers prepare to witness the antics of Bart, Homer and Marge on the big screen this summer, gaming giant Electronic Arts is expecting the game of the film becoming its best-selling release of 2007.

Few details have yet been announced on the game, but expectations are high that it will be launched July 27 to coincide with the release of the movie.

The Simpsons have already proved themselves a winner in the games world, with Vivendi's Hit and Run topping the two million sales mark in the UK alone.

And despite the game's release in 2003, over 300,000 copies were sold during 2006 - three years after its initial launch.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a42665/simpsons-to-become-years-top-seller.html

[quote name='Chacrana']Great! A company that's had little to no creativity for over a decade is bringing us a game based on a series that's had little to no creativity for over a decade.[/QUOTE]
Army of Two.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Hit and Run was awesome.[/quote]

I'm a huge Simpsons fan, but I just thought this game wasn't really all that fun.

Mediocre GTA clone, sure, plenty of in-jokes and Simpsons characters, sure, ho-hum Simpsons-episode related unlockables, yup ---> it just lacked any wow factor and some of the challenges just ended up being plain annoying.

The arcade game was much better (for it's time) - I mean, Marge's main weapon is a vacuum cleaner and the enemies are all from Bart's "coooool" daydreams - how awesomely whacky is that.

[quote name='Chacrana']Great! A company that's had little to no creativity for over a decade is bringing us a game based on a series that's had little to no creativity for over a decade.[/quote]
Marvel Nemesis was sexy at least... the half of it they released, I mean. :p

They've also made/subcontracted a batch of Bond games that average out to be good.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Marvel Nemesis was sexy at least... the half of it they released, I mean. :p

They've also made/subcontracted a batch of Bond games that average out to be good.[/QUOTE]

Were those Bond games anything but completely derivative though?

[quote name='Chacrana']Were those Bond games anything but completely derivative though?[/quote]

Well, I had never before played a third-person shooter with the lock-on and then focus your aim mechanic that 007:EoN had. The gameplay was REALLY slick in that one, too; enough to make high scores in the post-game survival challenges fun to shoot for.

The rest were pretty derivative, though Eurocom's Nightfire had a glorious space-based final battle.

in all fairness, Everything or Nothing was pretty awesome. All the other EA 007 games were pretty disapointing.

[quote name='Brak']

So you've seen the movie already? If not, please kindly STFU, thanks.

Hit and Run was a pretty average driving game. It had it's moments , but without the simpsons license nobody would have bought it. I hope the next game is better, but most movie tie-ins are sucky shovelware, so we'll see.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Well, I had never before played a third-person shooter with the lock-on and then focus your aim mechanic that 007:EoN had. The gameplay was REALLY slick in that one, too; enough to make high scores in the post-game survival challenges fun to shoot for.

The rest were pretty derivative, though Eurocom's Nightfire had a glorious space-based final battle.[/quote]

I actually enjoyed Nightfire the best.

I quit EoN before finishing - too many buttons, gadgets, and it was too heavily scripted for me.

They just need to release a highly detailed GTA clone (better than Hit & Run) and let you play through as 20-30 different characters with different missions - maybe base each mission on a different episode or something.

This been widely known for a long time now - there was even a big post about it on CAG in 2005

[quote name='Chacrana']Great! A company that's had little to no creativity for over a decade is bringing us a game based on a series that's had little to no creativity for over a decade.[/QUOTE]

The code name of the game is Shang Tsung, because the lifelessness of the game will devour your soul.

[quote name='javeryh']They just need to release a highly detailed GTA clone (better than Hit & Run) and let you play through as 20-30 different characters with different missions - maybe base each mission on a different episode or something.[/QUOTE]

Yes please.

All Ive wanted since Hit and Run came out was a sequel that fixed some of the glitches and sloppiness of the original. Imo, Hit and Run was the best Simpsons game ever, and a refined, cleaned up version of that would sell well, I know I'd buy it.

bread's done
Back