EA Sports Active 2

Sinistar

CAGiversary!
Anyone get this for PS3? How is the online play? I see there are workout groups but I don't know if you can work out with someone online or if it's only local multiplayer.

I got it on the amazon New Year's sale last week, and just started messing with it today very surprised the body tracing works pretty well without Move. :p

The heart rate monitor is pretty cool, too.. I even used an heart rate app I have on my android phone to compare and it's spot on...

Anyway, has anyone figured out to assemble the resistant band? I didn't see any instructions at all in the manual or the in-game video tutorials.

I created a test group today to see how it works, let me know if any of you guys join.
group: CAGWORKOUT
password: stayfitCAG

Last edited by a moderator:
its awesome, you tie the band in the small hole of the handles, i know you can do offline multi player, didnt try for online, i did a full work out and was sweating. my brother (drgonzo369) got it from house party and brought it up at christmas, my wife loved it.

as far as i can tell the work out groups are just where you see other people working out, kind of like a leader board and try to keep up

I found a you tube video someone posted how to tie the resistance bands that came with the Wii version, but it worked on PS3. I dont think they are long enough, though I'm 5' 11" and the when I did the exercise when you stand on the band and have to raise your arms all the way above your shoulders, I didn't go up high enough, thought the band would break, maybe I'll invest in some weights here pretty soon.

Did my first 20 minute workout tonight too, got some trophies lol.
The online Workout groups were offline when I was on earlier. Would be cool to be able to do live workouts with a friend online.

I tied my bands wrong and they came undone during my first workout. I was really surprised that there werent instructions or anything.

I haven't turned it on since :(

I would be interested in some sort of workout group thing. It may motivate me to start using it.

Well I just did 2nd workout in the program today. The activity part of the program is fun, but I don't really like the weight training and stuff like the pushups that much so far.

I think I'm not gonna mes with the resistance band anymore.. I think I have some 5 lb weights or kettleball around here I'm gonna use in the meantime. Or maybe pick up one of these bundle kits @ Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EA+Sports+-+EA+Sports+Active+2+Fitness+Bundle+Kit/1283886.p?id=1218246663939&skuId=1283886&st=ea%20sports%20active&cp=1&lp=8

Also, I can't get the damn main menu theme song out of my head now lol..

I created a test group today to see how it works, let me know if any of you guys join.

[quote name='wesdw369']you know you can get longer bands off amazon right? hell i think walmart sells them[/QUOTE]

Yeah but don't resistance bands lose their resistance and go bad after time? and do they ever break? lol
At least weights won't ever go "bad".

[quote name='Sinistar']Well I just did 2nd workout in the program today. The activity part of the program is fun, but I don't really like the weight training and stuff like the pushups that much so far.

I think I'm not gonna mes with the resistance band anymore.. I think I have some 5 lb weights or kettleball around here I'm gonna use in the meantime. Or maybe pick up one of these bundle kits @ Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EA+Sports+-+EA+Sports+Active+2+Fitness+Bundle+Kit/1283886.p?id=1218246663939&skuId=1283886&st=ea%20sports%20active&cp=1&lp=8

Also, I can't get the damn main menu theme song out of my head now lol..

password: stayfitCAG[/QUOTE]

I'll try to join this group tonight when I do my workout to see how the group thing works. I'm finishing up my second week of the 9 week program (hard level).

While weights will work well for some exercises, you'll need the band for others. I've found that I needed to tie the band to handles so that 8-12 inches of the band extended past the handles so I would have enough resistance. Even then, for most exercises I still need to fold the band before standing on it to shorten the length and increase the resistance. I may start using my adjustable barbell set (the kind where you can quickly dial between different weights) but for now the band is working well enough.

I had started on the Wii version of the first EA Sports last year and liked it, but I got food poisoning (or possibly something even worse) about 6 weeks into the training program and it took me down hard for 2 weeks. I was still weak as a kitten for another few weeks so I never finished the training program and then got distracted the rest of the year...and don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about :lol:

First few workouts were good, but definitely left me sore. I'm staring to get less sore after the workouts now, so that's a good sign I'm getting into better shape. Tough part is making sure you are putting enough effort into the exercises, which is why I like the heart rate monitor since it gives you a rough idea of how much you are working your cardio system.

Hope to see some other CAGs join the group.

OK, just finished my first workout as a member of the CAGWORKOUT group. Looks like it doesn't carry over any stats from your workouts prior to joining the group, so if you area already in a workout program the sooner you join the sooner we can start building up the groups stats.

Might be fun if we can get a competition between the PS3, 360 and Wii groups (assuming the are also starting up their own groups) :lol:

I've got another workout scheduled for tomorrow with Sunday as a day off.

Note: If you are having problems with the arm/leg sensors registering your movements correctly (like I did for a couple of workouts), make sure you have them on correctly. Even though I had them on correctly for my first workout, I had the arm sensors on the correct arms but flipped around (so when I was looking at the logo it was upside down). Flipped it back and everything worked fine. Stupid thing is that it was really only a problem for 2 or 3 exercises so it took me a while to realize my mistake.

DarkonJohn, I saw your stats in the workout group now, though there doesn't seem to be a way to see if theres a way to do live workout with anyone, like if you try to do local one. Would be cool if they did online play and you can see your friend workout via PS Eye camera.. I think the group workout if for stats, but I don't see if its possible to message people or compare group as a whole, now just need more members. :)

I just did my first week workout & started week 2, It game me the option to weigh myself and enter it in and then also do a short cardio thing to see my cool down, and add that to the stats. And after today's workout, I unlocked a boatload of trophies.. I've had this program for just over a week and have 24% trophies lol.

Journal > Fitness Tools > Milestones shows your trophy and milestone progress, but it only shows with a progress meter, not actual value (like for the 1000 km running or 1000 push ups would be nice to show how many you've done). Since a lot of the trophies are triggered by the milestones.

Yeah, I don't think you can do workouts together with other people in the group. And doing a 2-person workout requires buying 2 copies of the game (at least that's they only way I've seen so far for getting two sets of sensors). I think once a week it prompts you to do the heart rate test and enter weight for the week I started working out on a Sunday and I was prompted on the next day (Monday) and then the following Monday. I have workout schedule for today (Monday) so I expect to be prompted again.

The trophies come pretty quickly early on, but looking ahead as the next ones I expect they will be less frequent. If losing 1,000 calories takes a week or two, it will take about the same amount of time to hit the 2,000, 3,000 and so on milestones. No easy way to rush those unless you start working out more than 4 days a week (which is certainly possible if you start throwing in some custom workouts, but probably best to supplement with cardio workouts so you can give your muscles time to heal between the upper/lower body muscle-focused workouts).

I think there is a screen where you can see the reps you've done for every exercise...at least I think I saw one. I'll post again if I can find it.

While it is interesting to see how others are doing, but you can't really compare against someone that is doing one of the other workout programs since the goals, calories and time spent working out will be very different. Hopefully we'll get some more people in the group and we'll be able to keep each other motivated (or knowing that other people can see how you are doing will motivate you to do your best).

After I finish the 9 week program I may try one of the easier programs just to keep myself on a workout schedule w/o committing to something as long and as intense as the 9 week program. But for now I just need to focus on doing every scheduled workout for another 7 weeks so I can get the "no missed workouts" trophy :)

Speaking of sensors.. I'd imagine you can buy replacement ones if one of them breaks or do you have to buy the whole set? Like it wouldn't be bad if the right arm sensor breaks, but i could see the left arm or right leg might cause problems.

Yeah I'm trying for the No missed workouts trophy, too, but I only chose the 3 week cario kick start program so I only have to worry about 12 workouts. :p

Yeah, I'm kind of wishing I had maybe started with the 3-week program just to ease into things, but oh well, too late now that I'm into week 3 of the 12 week program.

OK, so from the topmost screen go to: Journal->Fitness Tools->My Stats and then press R1 to switch the view to Exercise Stats. This will show you many many times you've done each exercise routine. If each exercise routine always has the same number of reps, you can then calculate how many total reps you've done.

I haven't been able to find a way to buy extra sensors from any store, but if you call EA they may offer a replacement option, but that may require you to send in your "broken" sensors. There should be a way to buy just the sensors, but I haven't tried calling EA yet to find out. Hopefully it is less than $40 otherwise I'll be kicking myself that I didn't pick up the New Egg deal of $40 for EA Sports just a little while ago. I'm just thinking that my wife may not want to wear the same sensors that have been absorbing my sweat over many workouts.

If anyone else finds anything out about getting extra sensors, please post here to let everyone else know.

OK, found the link where you can buy an extra set of sensors:

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/store?Ac...cale=en_US&ThemeID=718200&productID=182641500

And as I feared, at $39.99 (+ $6.99 shipping) they are pretty pricey.

Then again, you can get the full game on Amazon for $48.49, so if you have to pay tax when buying from the EA store and not with Amazon, it's about the same price (full game at Amazon may even be less).

http://www.amazon.com/EA-Sports-Act...FYDK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1295399510&sr=8-5

I couldn't find just the sensors on Amazon, and if the price is the same I may just pick up another copy of the full game if it goes down to $40 - $45 so I can give it to a friend or sell it if my wife doesn't use the second set of sensors.

FYI: Only a couple of hours left, but the 50% discount + free shipping deal at EA Online applies to the extra sensors (even though they are currently out of stock). I just ordered a set of the PS3 sensors (see above link) for $21.72 (including CA tax).

Woo hoo!

On a related note, I need to contact their support group because my green elastic band is already tearing itself to shreds. I'm worried that it is going to break on me in the middle of an exercise and that definitely won't feel very good when that happens. Might need to move the handle in past the shredded part before that happens (increasing the resistance some more in the process).

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I am enjoying it (PS3)... just got a second pair of sensors from EA with the 50% off and free shipping...[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you are enjoying EA Sports...you should join our PS3 workout group:

There's only 2 of us in the group so far, so the more the merrier...plus it will earn you one of the game's trophies :lol:

how do you get the 50% off free shipping deal?

EDIT: nevermind, I saw the main CAG page but I think deal is over now.

Also it looks like the EA Sports Active 2 bundle kit is on sale @ Best Buy for $16.99

Yeah, I think the EA 50% discount deal ended at 4pm (sucks they ended it before most people get home from work).

The EA Sports Active 2 bundle kit at BB isn't a bad deal if you don't already have a pad and some ankle weights. Now that my elastic strap is ripping apart I wish I had an extra or two. Hopefully EA will send me a replacement quickly once I contact them.

Just picked up the Active Bundle kit thing from Best Buy.. they had to override the price since it was showing $40 and they said the $16.99 was online price.
Anyways. Looks like the jump rope thing was made for the Wii because it has a place to put the controller in (not planning on using it anyway much). Mostly got it for the resistance bands and the floor mats.. the 1 lb weights are kinda of dumb.. The lowest weight settings in the game are for 3 lb I think. I'll probably use them as ankle weights.

But I only paid $11 for this (had reward zone coupon) so its worth it for the extra resistance bands and mat. No way all this stuff is worth $40 retail, though.

There is an alternative handle in the box you can replace with the wii most grip. Bands and mats and crap are expensive. This kid was definately worth it at $16

Thanks nbballard, I just replaced the Wii grip with the normal one. :)

Anyone heard if they are gonna add Move or PS Eye support to this? I was reading one of the threads on the official forums there's a patch coming out next month to fix some of the bugs.

[quote name='4tygames']Joined the group! Too bad it did not add my stats, but I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone does![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the group!

Yeah, its a bummer it doesn't carry over your stats, but I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter too much since the group is still young.

So, which workout program are you doing and how far are you into it?

I just began Phase 2 of the 9 week program and noticed that the difficulty of my workout has been bumped up compared to Phase 1. Previous workouts were usually around 180 calories and 32/33 exercises and tonight's was closer to 210 calories and 36 exercises. Plus they added a couple of new exercises today.

I was a bit surprised that the new DLC they just released was a "low impact workout" because I'm thinking that if you had any interest/need for a low impact workout then you really haven't been doing the right exercises since you bought the game. Maybe the new DLC is targeted at getting new people to buy the game that aren't buying now because they need a low impact routine. Still, I was disappointed in the new content.

Maybe by the time I finish the 9-week program they'll have a new 9-week program that will mix things up a bit so its different than the first 9-week program.

Trophies are a big motivation me. I'm doing the 9 week so we'll see if I can make every workout. I'll try though. My goal is to platinum this game. I've always felt that exercise has been a chore for me, but this game definitely makes it fun and the trophies help create some great goals to attain. I would also like to try other exercise games on the ps3 as well. I just started yesterday, so not a lot of progress yet. I work full time and I had night class today and will have it again tomorrow so hopefully I can pick it back up on Thursday.

I burned 196 calories on the first workout which was a little less than 30 minutes. I like the constant switching from cardio to weights and back. Even though I burn more cals on an elliptical in 30 minutes, I felt I had worked my entire body. I also like the ability to add my own weights and really try and push myself.

Two days left for me until I complete the Cardio Kick Start program! I didn't miss any days either (almost did on Monday, since I was feeling like I was sick but I made it through the workout), so I should get two silver trophies for it.

4ty, I think I read on the official forums in one of the threads they were thinking about implementing in a patch to allow for elliptical when doing the running/biking activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are a little more than halfway through the 9-week program. I'm on hard, she's on medium. I have to say it's a great workout aside from the few bugs (like it not picking up the motion correctly on triceps kickbacks).

I really wish you could do custom soundtracks streaming from the PC like the Xbox has, I don't want to have to put music on the PS3 harddrive.

Good luck trying to Platinum it- I saw some of the trophies and laughed. I've done 19 of the 36 hard workouts and have run around 21 miles if the website is correct. Getting to 600 seems almost impossible. That's two miles a day for the better part of a year (!!!).\

Edit- I joined the group.

Hey, welcome to the group!

I'm not sure about getting the Platinum trophy, but right now I'm just trying to stay focused on not missing any workouts in the 9-week program.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had some problems with the sensors during a couple of my early workouts until I realized I had the arm sensors flipped around (I had the right sensor on the right arm, but I had it upside down). It is also important to have it on your arm so that when our arm is at your side with your palms pointing towards your middle, the sensor is pointing to the side. That said, I still have problems with the hear rate sensor picking up an accurate hear rate. Sometimes it will register a rate much lower than it really is and I have to fiddle with it to get it to register more accurately. After all, if I'm huffing and puffing on an exercise, I KNOW I'm not in the "1" heart rate range.

Overall I think it is a pretty decent aerobic workout for general conditioning, which is pretty much what I'm looking for right now. I wasn't in bad shape before starting, but after a 45 - 60 minute workout (which is how long they seem to take when all of the "how to" videos and transitions between exercises are included) I'm working up a pretty good sweat.

After I finish the 9-week program I may try the kick start workout as a way to take a break from the intensity of the 9-week (hard) program while still keeping up a regular workout schedule. My wife may start up with one of the programs once when she gets back from a 6-week work trip.

BTW: I saw that 2 people joined tonight...is that both you and your wife?

Yeah, I've tried moving the sensors around to get them to register properly. I do have them on the arms properly, but it still doesn't work every once in a while. After browsing the official forums, it seems like people have all had the same issues I've had. Hopefully they can fix some or all with a patch. It's still an awesome product and a great workout.

*Not giving you time for a water break- maybe have an option to customize the amount of time desired in the settings
*Arm sensors not picking up triceps kickbacks properly
*The heart rate monitor doesn't work right during running. I've started at 145 BPM and gone down to 90 BPM while running - yeah, right

Only I (DarthSontin) joined the group last night- I don't see my wife on the list.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Hey Sinistar, saw you finished the Kick Start program...are you gonna start up the 9 week program now?[/QUOTE]
Yeah soon, taking a little break ;)

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Glad to hear you are enjoying EA Sports...you should join our PS3 workout group:

There's only 2 of us in the group so far, so the more the merrier...plus it will earn you one of the game's trophies :lol:[/QUOTE]

Just checked back... I will join this Monday when its time for me to workout again

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Yeah, I've tried moving the sensors around to get them to register properly. I do have them on the arms properly, but it still doesn't work every once in a while. After browsing the official forums, it seems like people have all had the same issues I've had. Hopefully they can fix some or all with a patch. It's still an awesome product and a great workout.

*Not giving you time for a water break- maybe have an option to customize the amount of time desired in the settings
*Arm sensors not picking up triceps kickbacks properly
*The heart rate monitor doesn't work right during running. I've started at 145 BPM and gone down to 90 BPM while running - yeah, right

Only I (DarthSontin) joined the group last night- I don't see my wife on the list.[/QUOTE]

You can pause the game during an exercise to take a water break before it starts.

FYI, you can make up workouts and still get the perfect attendance trophy, just make sure you do the workouts in order as in complete the missed workout first and you will be fine.

The running portion of the game requires you to actually go out and run or you do it at home running without running (simulated running)?

[quote name='4tygames']FYI, you can make up workouts and still get the perfect attendance trophy, just make sure you do the workouts in order as in complete the missed workout first and you will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's good to know. I had heard that there was a bug where if you started your workout before midnight and then fished after midnight, it wouldn't give you credit for finishing the workout on the day you had started the workout, but I guess all that matters is that you finish the earlier workouts you missed in order before starting a later workout.

2 days in to the 3 week cardio and I am sore as hell all over. Which is a good thing. Best thing I like is, having used the Wii version of Active and More Workouts, that I found it to be a pain in the ass sometimes to get the Wii remote and Nunchuk to register the positions, particularly in the shoulder presses, and that the Nunchuk cord would get in the way. The new sensors allow for more freedom.

[quote name='Bazylik']The running portion of the game requires you to actually go out and run or you do it at home running without running (simulated running)?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think most people will play it as simulated running, or running in position. I do not have space in my apartment to actually run around.

[quote name='4tygames']Yes, I think most people will play it as simulated running, or running in position. I do not have space in my apartment to actually run around.[/QUOTE]

ok. I'm planning on getting this. Winter and laziness made me put on some unwanted weight. I was gonna get back to p90x, but that program is just cruel and I just messed up my hand last week after falling hard on ice so I can't even do push ups and pull ups now. I would start with the cardio, which I assume is not very heavy on lifting and pulling.

Could anyone briefly give me a rundown of the cardio program in Active 2, please?

Joined yesterday before completing my cardio kick start on medium. Had started the 9 week on hard and my progress was somehow erased; blessing in disguise as it was kicking my ass. My tl;dr story:

August '09 - got Wii Fit and EA Active 1 after getting close to my personal limits (3XL, Size 40, 300 lbs).

March '10 - Lost close to 50 lbs (283 down to 235) with moderate working out (maybe 6-8 hours a week, mostly free step on Wii Fit while playing PSP or DS) and small dietary changes.

April to September '10 - Got a new job running catering and concessions, thus wrecking my excercise habits and dietary plans.

Jan '11 - Started back up both exercise and minor dietary changes; Already down 13 lbs month 1 (267 down to 254). Do workouts Mon-Thursday, with a 200-250 cal workout on Sat consisting of sports stuff like boxing and basketball. Also do 1 hour of Wii Fit free step (30 minutes before as a warmup, 30 minutes after). I also got the small EA Active set that includes the better resistance bands and weighted gloves, happy I made the purchase.

For the record, I fuckING HATE MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS. I also hate when I do a tough workout and busy like 200 calories, then do 30 minutes of easy steps on Wii Fit and burn 184 calories.

Anyways, good luck everyone and I hope you meet whatever personal goals you've set for yourself. Does anyone want to start a gamershare of future DLC coming out for this? I think only the Nike thing is out, it'd be $2 a person, can't imagine future DLC being much more than that

Dave

Conga ratz Dave, that looks like it was a long journey, but you seem to be successful.

I am looking for a good virtual workout approach, but they seem to have exploded all over the market, so I'm not even sure which one I should invest my money in...any suggestions?

[quote name='gaminmonster']Conga ratz Dave, that looks like it was a long journey, but you seem to be successful.

I am looking for a good virtual workout approach, but they seem to have exploded all over the market, so I'm not even sure which one I should invest my money in...any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3 is probably the best bet if you're looking for a scheduled training regimen. If you don't want a scheduled regimen then I'd suggest Your Shape for 360 (if you have a Kinect). EASA2 for PS3 seems to be the best version because it doesn't have the camera issues Kinect does on occasion, and you don't have to hold a Wiimote.

EASA2 will make you choose a schedule, and the game will try to get you to stick with it. It's not a game you'd get to workout leisurely once or twice a week.

MightySlacker,

Welcome to the group and you're definitely not the only one that hates those damn Mountain Climbers. My last workout had 4 sets of those and each set made me think "Oh crap, not again!".

Regardless of where each of us is at today and what our goals are, we all face the same struggles of trying to maintain good eating and exercise habits over the months and years as your lives change. Your challenges aren't unique, but I commend you for your continued pursuit of good health and congratulate you on the very solid progress you've made so far this year. While my goals are probably more modest than yours (I'm just looking to drop about 10 pounds or so, but it actually involves dropping 20 pounds of fat and adding 10 pounds of muscle), I'm very impressed that you were able to drop 13 pounds so far this year. That doesn't happen by accident...it takes hard work and attention to what you eat. :applause:

In any case, you've inspired me to try to step up the pace of my effort, maybe doing some easier workouts on my "off" days or doing a better job of watching what I eat, so thanks for sharing your story :D

@gaminmonster:
Like they say, the best exercise program is the one you will stick with, because while each offering might have some things that are better than others, they are all better for you than doing nothing (unless of course they have some dangerous aspects to them such as extreme dieting or are physically damaging to your body). For the console based fitness "games", I think they all have some quirks that can be annoying (sensors not registering your motions correctly, heart rate monitor isn't accurate/consistent, etc.). If these shortcomings are so bad that they discourage you from continuing the workout, then that's a big problem.

I've used the Wii-based EA Sports (original version) and found it acceptable. Sometimes it was a bit annoying holding the Wii controller or dealing with the leg strap that holds the nunchuk controller, but neither was a fatal problem. I never finished the whole workout program I started last year (got some sort of food poisoning that took me down for a few weeks and then I never got around to starting back up) but I may actually go back to that program again just to make sure I get my money's worth out of it and keep some variety in my workouts.

I like the PS3-based EA Sports 2 package, but I don't think the motion sensors are as accurate as the Wii controller was when using EA Sports 1, but it hasn't really been a big problem for me. And based on the feedback of the others in this group the PS3 version of EA Sports 2 seems to be working reasonably well for them.

I've hard the Kinect version of EA Sports 2 has bigger problems with registering your movements. And I'm not positive, but I believe they also have a different set of exercises because the Kinect can't register certain motions (such as those on the floor). Maybe they'll fix these things in a future update, but the PS3 version looked like it had the fewest issues so that's the one I went with.

I've also heard that the Kinect-based Your Shape: Fitness Evolved isn't bad. I have it and it had some fun exercises, but I haven't explored it much because I decided to just get started with EA Sports 2 first. Once I finish the 9-week program and complete some of the other trophies in EA Sports 2, I may switch over to Your Shape and give it a try. Of course, if you don't already have a Kinect, then this would be an expensive choice.

In any case, with the price drops (from $99 to $59 to $49 and sometimes on sale for $39) I don't think you can go too wrong picking up EA Sports 2 for the PS3 and going through the Kick Start and 9-week programs.

The main thing is that you can't let little annoyances get in the way. Even if you go to a regular gym, you'll run into problems....someone is using the machines you want to use, your hand hurts, the place smells....there's always something you can use as an excuse for giving up. So the best thing you can do is to try to ignore those shortcomings and stay focus on your goals. Having a good group of people you associate with that have similar goals can also be a big help, because if you know that they know whether you are working out or not, that alone might be enough to make you do a workout you might have been tempted to skip because you were feeling a bit down that day.

I can tell you that with every workout I do, I'm checking the group's stats to see who's been working out, which milestones they've hit and how the group's overall stats are doing. I like seeing that others are joining up and each time I see that someone has done another workout I'm thinking "Good job, keep it up!!" Sometimes I'll see that someone is really burning things up and it makes me think I might want to step up my game a bit too, so using EA Sports 2 and joining the CAG group has some motivational benefits.

[quote name='bigant262']Are they gonna add support for the PS Move?[/QUOTE]

I guess it is possible, but I'm thinking probably not since it's actually better to not have to hold anything in your hands. This gives you the option of actually using real dumbbells for curls and other exercises instead of the elastic band. And for exercises like the boxing/punching, you don't really need precise location information and I think the accelerometers/position sensors in the armbands are sufficient for most tracking purposes.

One of the good things about EA Sports Active 2 is that they do a pretty good job of mixing things up (which keeps you from getting stuck in a standard routine) and increasing the intensity over time so you don't plateau. Every workout has been a challenge and has made me work out a good sweat by the end, and by the end of most exercises I'm thinking "Please no more squatting, my legs are killing me!" or "Not another mountain climber!". Tough enough to keep it challenging but not so much it is discouraging.

I also noticed that the "Low Impact workout" that they were selling via the in-game store is now included for free, which makes total sense because if you really need a low-impact workout that really means that all of the other workouts that came with the game wouldn't be very useful to you until you can build up some strength in your joints and muscles. I'm just surprised they though they should charge for it in the first place.

bread's done
Back