EA Sports Active 2

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I guess it is possible, but I'm thinking probably not since it's actually better to not have to hold anything in your hands. This gives you the option of actually using real dumbbells for curls and other exercises instead of the elastic band. And for exercises like the boxing/punching, you don't really need precise location information and I think the accelerometers/position sensors in the armbands are sufficient for most tracking purposes.

One of the good things about EA Sports Active 2 is that they do a pretty good job of mixing things up (which keeps you from getting stuck in a standard routine) and increasing the intensity over time so you don't plateau. Every workout has been a challenge and has made me work out a good sweat by the end, and by the end of most exercises I'm thinking "Please no more squatting, my legs are killing me!" or "Not another mountain climber!". Tough enough to keep it challenging but not so much it is discouraging.

I also noticed that the "Low Impact workout" that they were selling via the in-game store is now included for free, which makes total sense because if you really need a low-impact workout that really means that all of the other workouts that came with the game wouldn't be very useful to you until you can build up some strength in your joints and muscles. I'm just surprised they though they should charge for it in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. Thanks. I just picked this up for $20. :)

[quote name='bigant262']Ah ok. Thanks. I just picked this up for $20. :)[/QUOTE]

Was that the TRU deal? I wasn't sure if that was for the 360 version or all platforms. Either way, awesome deal. So what are you waiting for? Time to join the CAGWORKOUT group and start your first program:bouncy:

Also, since any workouts that you do before joining the CAGWORKOUT group won't carry over to the group's stats, the sooner you join the better ;)

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Was that the TRU deal? I wasn't sure if that was for the 360 version or all platforms. Either way, awesome deal. So what are you waiting for? Time to join the CAGWORKOUT group and start your first program:bouncy:

Also, since any workouts that you do before joining the CAGWORKOUT group won't carry over to the group's stats, the sooner you join the better ;)[/QUOTE]

Yea it was at TRU, I'm gonna start tomorrow or Monday.

If anyone is wondering whether to get this or not - just get it.

I managed to lose 80+ pounds on the Wii version and the whole time I thought "I would look better if I didn't have to hold the wii-remotes and could use dumbbells" which the PS3 version supports. If you have an addicted personality (OCD), enjoy games and are out of shape then this is a godsend.

[quote name='Kanik']If anyone is wondering whether to get this or not - just get it.

I managed to lose 80+ pounds on the Wii version and the whole time I thought "I would look better if I didn't have to hold the wii-remotes and could use dumbbells" which the PS3 version supports. If you have an addicted personality (OCD), enjoy games and are out of shape then this is a godsend.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, congrats on losing the weight. How long did it take?

[quote name='bigant262']Oh wow, congrats on losing the weight. How long did it take?[/QUOTE]
Thanks, started in January of 2010 and lost about 60lbs by June. Last 20 took me until about October to shed off but I blame others for saying "oh, you look great...you should splurge", peer-pressuring me into eating crap. :lol:

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone here completed the 9 week program yet?
How were your results? :)[/QUOTE]

I just finished Phase 2 of 3 of the 9 week program (hard setting) and did the first workout of Phase 3 which has again increased the intensity of the workouts. For example, Foot Fires now require 240 reps instead of the 180 during Phase 2.

Physically, I know my endurance has increased and my muscle tone is better, but as far as weight loss is concerned, my weight has fluctuated +/- 2 lbs from where I started. This is probably because I haven't been following a rigorous diet focused on losing weight. I'm not eating a lot, but I do have the occasional piece of pizza, a beer or two a few times a week and the occasional small serving of ice cream. I'm really not eating that much food, but the quality of food isn't always the greatest.

I know that if I really want to drop some weight as quickly as possible I should manage my diet much more closely. I've done this in the past and it was effective when combined with daily exercise.

But this is currently an experiment to see how my body reacts to a "casual" diet (nothing too strict) while working out 4 days a week. As I've seen from the past 6 weeks, this approach won't help me lose weight, but I am getting in better condition. I'll probably stay with this approach until I finish up my 9 week program and then start another program with a modified approach to eating to see how that works.

I'm not looking for quick weight loss because I know I can do that if I work out more frequently and have a strict diet. My main goal is to find a "healthy lifestyle" that I can maintain as a permanent part of my life rather than the roller coaster approach of short-term hardcore effort followed by extended period of "taking it easy". Once I've found that, I can then make a more focused effort to get closer to my target weight before switching back to maintenance mode.

But to put it into perspective, I'm only about 10 - 15 lbs over my "ideal" weight (which is based on an image of myself from about 10 -15 years go). I know my body and metabolism have changed a lot since then, so what may have been realistic 10 years ago might be slightly different than what is realistic today. But I do know that I feel a lot better physically and mentally when my body fat percentage is lower than it is right now so I still have some work to do.

However, to everyone else that has dropped 20, 60 or 80 pounds, you have my greatest respect because I know that only happens with a great deal of physical and mental effort. Knowing what you are accomplishing is motivating me to stay focused on my goals and to not cut myself too much slack on the dieting side of things.

I was wondering how much others are exercising outside of the 4 program workouts each week, how closely you are managing your diets and how it appears to be affecting your progress.

For your diet, are you on a strict diet where each meal is planned to limit daily caloric intake, or are you eating whatever you want? Do you have several smaller meals during the day (like the game recommends) or do you end up having 2 or 3 larger meals each day with 3 - 6 hours between meals?

I don't think my eating habits are too bad (I don't eat large quantities), but since I haven't been paying very close attention I'm wondering if they are worse than I realize (eating the wrong stuff too often) so I may start writing down a log of what I eat to see if there are any surprises (like the one or two mini snickers I remembered eating at work was really six mini snickers, 2 with each cup of coffee during the day).

From my own experience, for losing weight a strict diet only works wonders when combined with a focused workout program.

Dieting alone is worthless because it is really just starvation which is unhealthy and unpleasant.

A workout program alone isn't effective because it is far too easy to eat more calories than you are burning off, no matter how much you are working out.

You need to eat enough to keep your body healthy and repair the damage that working out does to the muscles (which is what helps them get bigger and stronger), but anything beyond that are just extra calories that require more exercise to burn off in order to hit the break even point. And the only way to lose weight (short of surgery) is to burn more calories (through exercise) than you are eating.

So I guess I'm just looking to see if we can confirm that those people that are getting the best results are also those that are working out the hardest and watching what they eat the closest.

Related question: For your outside exercise, are you logging that in EA Sports Active 2? I'm guessing some people are, because that's the only way I could figure that some people who have done fewer workouts than I have appear to have burned 1,000+ more calories than I have. I'm not competing against you, but am just wondering if I'm doing something wrong which is causing me to have lower calorie counts.

Well, as mentioned I usually do 30-60 minutes of basic step on Wii Fit on workout days, and at least try and do a 250-300 cal workout on one of my off days.

My diet isn't really strict, I try and keep calories around 1500 a day, but I don't totally bust my balls. The key thing is to have healthy choices so you aren't forced to eat junk. I personally use the books in the "Eat This, Not That" series, and I highly recommend them. Its full of simple swaps and choices you can make on a daily basis so you don't have to hardcore diet. And not all of it tastes bad (I love Arnolds Sandwich Thins now for any sandwich or burger). It pretty much boils down to protein and fiber good, fat and sugar bad. Some basic things I do:

- Minimize drinks with calories. Lots of water and unsweetened tea. No soda. I do like Arizona Arnold Palmer though :). also some Gatorade G3 for post workouts. I still drink beer now and then, but once or twice a week, tops.

- Obviously limiting fast food. Subway best choice by FAR (my choice: turkey and ham on wheat, with lettuce, spinach, cucumber and black olives with sweet onion dressing). Otherwise, use the eat this not that book to find a good option wherever Im dining at.

- Smaller meals work. A sample would be a breakfast of yogurt and a cereal bar, or some eggs with some english muffins (Thomas Healthy Start Multi-Grain are great), then a snack (shake, meal bar), lunch of a sandwich w/ some soup, then a good sized dinner, and a few hours before bed a snack of fruit or vegetables or popcorn. Even some more yogurt.

I try and burn at least half the calories I eat through "measured" exercises.

Oh, and I dont think the added exercise counts towards your total, I think it's the weight of the person. I'm gonna burn substantially more calories doing the exact same workout at 260 lbs than someone at 200 lbs. I know in Wii Fit when I do a weight test and it goes down, the calorie burn doing the same set of steps goes down too. Kinda sad lol.

Dave

So, I just got the game. Thanks to the Tru thread and enjoyed it for the first time.
I'll join the group when I get my PS3 and the game updated, my PS3 doesn't update to quick.

I'm starting off slow with the three week Kick start on medium.

I recently started to want to lose weight, I've been around 275-280 the last 6 years. I already cut out drinking soft drinks, and switched to mainly water. I need to change my eating habits, but haven't yet. I don't eat a bunch, but I never changed my ways nor attempted to lose weight I gained while in High School from being super lazy.

So I'm all up for ways to lose weight.

[quote name='MightySlacker']
Oh, and I dont think the added exercise counts towards your total, I think it's the weight of the person. I'm gonna burn substantially more calories doing the exact same workout at 260 lbs than someone at 200 lbs. I know in Wii Fit when I do a weight test and it goes down, the calorie burn doing the same set of steps goes down too. Kinda sad lol.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. And now that you mention it, while I hadn't thought about it, it makes perfect sense that the more you weigh, the more calories you'll burn because I know I'd be working a lot harder if I had an extra 50 lbs strapped to by body during every workout. Shoot, I don't even think I could get through a whole workout :lol:

I wonder if they also vary the number of reps? All I really know is that the workouts have been very challenging at all stages of the program so far and I like having a day off in between workouts to recover (except for the 2 days that are right after each other).

But I'm definitely thinking I should watch what I eat a little more closely. Nothing too crazy, but maybe a bit less carbs during the day and no post-dinner popcorn...just enough to ensure I end the 9-week program a few pounds lighter than I started.

Yeah, after that first weight jump, I tend to slow down, hopefully due to some fat being lost but muscle being gained. I'll keep telling myself that at least :D

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Yeah, after that first weight jump, I tend to slow down, hopefully due to some fat being lost but muscle being gained. I'll keep telling myself that at least :D

Dave[/QUOTE]

I've got some body fat calipers that are helpful for differentiating between fat loss and muscle gain but I haven't been using them recently because I'm taking a more casual approach right now. Too often people focus on simply "weight loss" w/o realizing the damage you do to you body if you are losing muscle by starving yourself rather than fat by exercising and burning more calories than you are taking in. But yeah, I too have been telling myself too that I've really been gaining the same amount of muscle that I'm losing in fat which is why I havn't lost weight. As long as I can keep wearing the same clothes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

[quote name='lukelong']I'm getting "Group is full and has reached the maximum amount of members"...[/QUOTE]

:shock: I think the group has 12 people (at least that's what I think it said when I just checked after my workout a few minutes ago) and after checking the EA forums it looks like others are running into the same limit. Looks like someone gets to create another group (CAGWORKOUT2?) :D

Whoever creates the new group, post group name and password here for the other new people so they can join up.

Also, I think you get a trophy for starting a group (I got one for creating a group I use for my family members).

Just made a second group. Not sure if that means I "run" it (not sure how much time I'll have to do so) but hopefully it'll let people join and do whatever. :)

Name: CAGWork2
Pass: stayfitCAG

(I couldn't call it CAGWorkout2, name was too long)

Joined the new group (thanks for setting that up). First workout today - not too shabby.

It was a pretty good cardio workout. My sensors got a little glitchy on a couple of the workouts, not sure if that's normal (i.e. it stopped several times while skipping rope and it sped up my running too - my fast jog translated to a full sprint in the game. I would put Usain Bolt to shame. )

I joined the group..

I seem to have the biggest problem with squats. The game won't register my squats and crunches for shit, the crunches that you have to pull your knees towards the chest.
Can anyone link that you tube video that supposedly shows how to place these damn things properly? I stay in front of the TV all the time while doing the exercises and I get majority of them but squats and cruncher just won't register properly.

Just FYI, I've been super swamped at work so haven't really had the time to do anything with the 2nd group (or the game itself for that matter)-- if there's anything I need to do so it's not screwing anything up, let me know...

[quote name='Bazylik']I joined the group..

I seem to have the biggest problem with squats. The game won't register my squats and crunches for shit, the crunches that you have to pull your knees towards the chest.
Can anyone link that you tube video that supposedly shows how to place these damn things properly? I stay in front of the TV all the time while doing the exercises and I get majority of them but squats and cruncher just won't register properly.[/QUOTE]

Make sure the arm bands are below your elbows. Hold your arms flat against your side and they should be pointing out straight away from your body. Also make sure that the person on them appears right side up if you look at your arm. For the leg band, I put it ~4" above my knee facing forward with the person's feet towards the floor.

Just joined the CAGWork2 group. Thanks for setting this up.

Had my 2nd workout today and I'm feeling it in my legs right now.

Had the original version for the wii and this is much better because you don't need to hold the wiimote and nunchuk. Very happy so far.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Make sure the arm bands are below your elbows. Hold your arms flat against your side and they should be pointing out straight away from your body. Also make sure that the person on them appears right side up if you look at your arm. For the leg band, I put it ~4" above my knee facing forward with the person's feet towards the floor.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the pointers.. I had my arms sensors setup exactly the way you described. Maybe my leg sensor wasn't at the right height. First I tried I had it almost tingling against my balls, second time right above my knee. Today I'll try ~4in above my knee and see if that helps.

[quote name='kliiez8']Just joined the CAGWork2 group. Thanks for setting this up.

Had my 2nd workout today and I'm feeling it in my legs right now.

Had the original version for the wii and this is much better because you don't need to hold the wiimote and nunchuk. Very happy so far.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Tell me about it, I can barely move my legs the muscles hurt so bad after the 1st workout. I will be doing my 2nd workout today and I wonder if I'll be able to get up on Friday lol.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Make sure the arm bands are below your elbows. Hold your arms flat against your side and they should be pointing out straight away from your body. Also make sure that the person on them appears right side up if you look at your arm. For the leg band, I put it ~4" above my knee facing forward with the person's feet towards the floor.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been putting my arm sensors below my elbows, maybe 1/2" below where my arm bends at the elbow. For the left arm heart rate sensor, I'm still not sure how to get a 100% consistently good heart reading. If you look on the inside of it while it is one, you'll see there are two green LEDs that I assume are used to measure your pulse. However, I'm not sure exactly where these should be positioned on your arm because sometimes it will register my pulse at one rate and then a minor change in position will result in a much lower (and clearly wrong) rate. Then again, I've had good readings in a variety of positions (changing rotation of the band on my arm and distance from my elbow). This is probably the most frustrating issue I've had with the game even though, as far as I can tell, I don't think it has any meaningful affect on my workout.

Also, saying the body on the arm sensors should be "right side up if you look at your arm" might not be completely clear. For me, if you are looking at the sensor as if you are looking at a watch on your wrist, the picture of the body on the sensor will have their head pointing away from you and the word "active" will appear right-side up with the letters going from left to right. I know for a fact that if you have the arm sensors reversed (head pointing towards you), they will sometimes work (just enough to make you think you have them on correctly), but will have major problems registering motion correctly on other exercises.

For the leg sensor, I usually have it closer to my crotch than to my knee (maybe 2/3 up from my knee) but I think the most important thing maybe to have the sensor facing forward rather than somewhat to the side. Then again, on some exercises (those damn mountain climbers) it still doesn't always register correctly.

Yeah, I gots issues with the heart rate too - I went from a false 120 when I was running a sprint jump all the way up to 194. yikes.

And when I put the sensors that way, I have to move them when doing side arm planks or that ankle stretch because my arm would be right on the sensor

Dave

I think I've hit a max of 188 or so, but based on how I felt at the time it didn't seem out of line (I was almost gasping for air). Most of the time I know something is wrong with the sensor when I feel like I'm dying and then sensor is reading 85 or so. Then I'll try adjusting it and it will eventually go up to 160+, which is more accurate based on my level of exertion.

I don't think the heart rate measurements matter as far as getting through the exercises (after all, you never needed it in the original EA Sports Active) but it might influence your calorie count and maybe some other minor stats to some degree.

I wish the workout groups would be more interactive, though.. like if we could post on a forum or something built in the game.. right now it's just for comparing stats..

[quote name='Sinistar']I wish the workout groups would be more interactive, though.. like if we could post on a forum or something built in the game.. right now it's just for comparing stats..[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it is somewhat underwhelming compared to what they could have done. My feeling is that it was mainly targeted at a family (especially given the limit of 12 people) where they could all be part of the same group and measure their total progress and individual progress. But not really designed for a community of people. Oh well, it's still a good thing to be part of a workout group and see how others are doing, and here's to hoping EA Sports Active 3 will have more community features ;-)

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Agreed, it is somewhat underwhelming compared to what they could have done. My feeling is that it was mainly targeted at a family (especially given the limit of 12 people) where they could all be part of the same group and measure their total progress and individual progress. But not really designed for a community of people. Oh well, it's still a good thing to be part of a workout group and see how others are doing, and here's to hoping EA Sports Active 3 will have more community features ;-)[/QUOTE]
...and better peripherals :roll:

I thought it worked for a second.
When I started my work out last night I calibrated the sensor first and than began. On my first exercise which involved front leg squats it was great, sensors saw my every move, when I switched sides it went stupid on me again...and again I couldn't get it to work right whenever exercise involved squatting. Over all my session was much smoother than the first. From now on I will just do my sets and than cheat the system to get through to the next.

I really wanted to like it, especially at $20. But, after three hard-program workouts, I think it's going back.

The sensors are just too inaccurate for me, which seems to be the main reason to use it over a workout DVD. During warm-ups, my heart rate jumps between 90 and 188. And I have to over-exaggerate most of my movements to keep from getting lost. I agree with DarkonJohn - the online could've been great. Get 12 people doing the same program, competing & keeping each other accountable to stay with the a program? That'd be huge. Instead, it seems like an afterthought & a way for EA to evaluate features for Active 3.

Maybe I just got a dud copy, or my PS3 isn't in the right spot. But, gonna start P90-X today (pain). Feel free to boot me from the second group if you need the space, and good luck to those who are sticking with the program.

I know that temperamental sensors is probably the biggest problem with the game, and while most people probably have the occasional issue with the sensors, I think having major problems is fairly uncommon. However, if you are one of those people it can be incredibly frustrating. I know I was about ready to give up sometime around my 3rd or 4th workouts until I realized I had started wearing the arm sensors incorrectly (guess I had them on right the first 2 times by chance). Since correcting that problem the sensors have been a relatively minor issue for me.

If you are having a problem, I'm not sure if replacing the sensors will help or not (saw mixed comments on the EA forums). If not, the underlying problem could be related to RF interference...maybe if you have a cordless phone near your PS3 or maybe even if you are using WiFi to connect your PS3 to your home's WiFi network.

In any case, I've heard lots of good things about the P90-X workout program, and as I said the before, the best workout program is the one you actually follow.

I don't know if there is any way to boot someone out of the group so if you can drop yourself from the group (not sure if you can) before returning the game, that might be best.

[quote name='Velo214']my grrl and i were gonna join but it said max people limit. oh well peace cag[/QUOTE]

I thought there might still be space in the second group that was started, but if not, go ahead and start up a third group and post the group name and password so others can join. It don't cost nothin' and will get you a trophy ;)

[quote name='Justin42']Just made a second group. Not sure if that means I "run" it (not sure how much time I'll have to do so) but hopefully it'll let people join and do whatever. :)

Name: CAGWork2
Pass: stayfitCAG

(I couldn't call it CAGWorkout2, name was too long)[/QUOTE]

I just joined, I was 9 of 12.

I've done 4 workouts on the PS3 without any major problems with sensor detection. The sensor problem I had was when I was doing the workout where I had to be a soccer goalie. It had a problem detecting my lunges to the right, but I think my tshirt was covering the leg sensor when I lunged right, so I tucked in my shirt and it didn't have any more problems. So for those with problems, maybe check to see if your clothing is in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkonJohn']
In any case, I've heard lots of good things about the P90-X workout program, and as I said the before, the best workout program is the one you actually follow.

I don't know if there is any way to boot someone out of the group so if you can drop yourself from the group (not sure if you can) before returning the game, that might be best.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for P90X, I'd done it a year ago when I had more time... I stuck with it for a couple of month.. It will kick your ass at first but if you stick with it it will pay off, it's worth it... I will surely get back to it once I have more time again on my hands..

wow. i got 2 copies for my grrl and i. i tried to tiv the 2nd copy anywhere. and no where will take it without the sensors. i mean, $20 for sensors isn't bad. but im trying to get rid of the extra game, seeing as i wont be playing two at once or anything like multiplayer but it is the most untakable game i have ever tried to trade in.

great workout tho. we are both sore 2 days after our first workout. wow, we need to get in shape ;) oh yeah, she just had a baby a month ago and already she's down to 115(5'), so she just wants to lose 10-15 more lbs. i gotta lose some weight too, im getting up there. (5'10, 135, lol) we are both slim but gotta get some movement goin.

[quote name='Velo214']wow. i got 2 copies for my grrl and i. i tried to tiv the 2nd copy anywhere. and no where will take it without the sensors. i mean, $20 for sensors isn't bad. but im trying to get rid of the extra game, seeing as i wont be playing two at once or anything like multiplayer but it is the most untakable game i have ever tried to trade in.

great workout tho. we are both sore 2 days after our first workout. wow, we need to get in shape ;) oh yeah, she just had a baby a month ago and already she's down to 115(5'), so she just wants to lose 10-15 more lbs. i gotta lose some weight too, im getting up there. (5'10, 135, lol) we are both slim but gotta get some movement goin.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you'll find any takers for the game w/o the sensors since it's pretty useless w/o them. It's not like DJ or Guitar Hero where you can use the peripherals from the first version of the game and the sensors alone retail for $40 (at least last time I checked at the EA Store), which what the game has been going for during most of the recent sales (the $20 TRU deal excluded).

In any case, good job starting up. Just so you know, while the first few workouts are pretty tough if you are out of shape (like I was), they also increase the intensity of the workouts as you progress so you don't plateau. That's good from the standpoint of getting maximum benefit from working out, but can also be frustrating because (as in my case), I sometimes feel like I'm not improving my conditioning because each workout is still kicking my butt and I really struggle through some of the exercises (especially those damn Mountain Climbers and some of the jumping lunge exercises...those things are pure evil).

However, if you are only 135 lbs at 5'10", I'm thinking you should be focusing on overall conditioning and building up some muscle mass, not losing weight ;-)

Wow. I joined the 2nd group. Finished day one on the 3 week kick start on medium. Holy cow. I bike every day to and from work for 14 miles, this had me sweating more than that ever does. Here's to the next 3 weeks!

bread's done
Back