EA Store Sale

[quote name='candymaker789']Can someone please help me out? I really want to get DAOCE before the 30% promo ends.[/QUOTE]
EA has the worst checkout of any company ever. I get to the end and it says, can't process order, everytime. I have contacted them several times about this over the last 6 months or so, whenever one of these good sales comes up. Nothing. I hate this site.

Err...is it just me, or are their promotions a bit jumbled? On the page detailing this offer, it says

"SAVE 40% when you buy 2 or more PC Downloadable titles
Click to save now -->
Free Standard Shipping!"

And it advertises Dragon Age Origins for $39.99, but when you click the button to add to your cart, it comes up $44.99. Oh well, still a very good deal, especially taking the extra 30% off coupon into account (although does it stack directly with the 40% promotion making it a total of 70% off, or is it 30% off the already 40% discounted price?).

Also about the download manager: from my experience it downloads the installer, but is not required to actually run the games, so you should be able to uninstall it and still access your EA Store games.

[quote name='Edge']Err...is it just me, or are their promotions a bit jumbled? On the page detailing this offer, it says

"SAVE 40% when you buy 2 or more PC Downloadable titles
Click to save now -->
Free Standard Shipping!"

And it advertises Dragon Age Origins for $39.99, but when you click the button to add to your cart, it comes up $44.99. Oh well, still a very good deal, especially taking the extra 30% off coupon into account (although does it stack directly with the 40% promotion making it a total of 70% off, or is it 30% off the already 40% discounted price?).

Also about the download manager: from my experience it downloads the installer, but is not required to actually run the games, so you should be able to uninstall it and still access your EA Store games.[/QUOTE]The 30% off coupon only applies to the original price of the game. The 40% off promotion only applies to the sub-total. So it is not 70% off, but it's still very good--too bad we cannot triple-dip using sale prices as well.

[quote name='CRH7386']Let me know how it goes when you get a chance. I'm thinking about jumping on Dragon Age: Origins and also The Sims 3 with the World Adventures Expansion for $59. But I have Windows 7 64-bit so I'm interested to see how it works with yours. I've read that you can try to run the EADM in compatibility mode and it might work better if you have issues.[/QUOTE]

Well I finished the install of Dragon Age: Origins and Spore and they worked fine on my Win7 32-Bit machine with just running the EADM as supplied by EA, I didn't run it as administrator. I do feel like I've been totally violated by EA's DRM though lol... since I think I now have to have the EADM running in order to play the games since I'm fairly sure it does copy verification... not sure what happens if you aren't online and try to play one of the games, I hope I don't have to be online at all times to play.

Make sure you guys backup your downloaded games from the EA store. EA will only let you download your games for 1 year from their purchase date. I couldn't find anything on their website on how to do this, but after some googling, I found out that the installers are downloaded to:

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache\{ "your account number" }

You can backup the folders to a DVD-R from here. You don't even need the EADM running to use the installers. Just tried it w/ my just purchased Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe off a USB flash drive.

[quote name='icebeast']...not sure what happens if you aren't online and try to play one of the games ...play.[/QUOTE]

I read from EA's website that you can play the games offline though I have yet to try this out as I always have an internet connection. Though if it is true that you are required to log onto EADM to play it would be similar to steam where you have to log onto steam to play steam bought games.

I'm a little worried about EADM. I did some googling on it and nothing to great has come up about it.

Do they give you a key with your game? If so I might just buy it and pirate a copy of the game so there won't be crazy security on it.

http://knowyourgame.reclaimyourgame.com/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=3

EDIT:
I've been playing around with there pricing, it seems they deduct the cost when they show you your pre-final bill. As in, they don't charge you yet, but the code is applied.
Adds it in cart now? It does for me. 30% promo takes off on the listed price, 40% promo takes off in the total price.

Also, can't use Battle Forge (0$ game) or DLC (5$) with the discount :bomb:

Final Edit:

Ok here are some digits for everyone

DA:O SE + 10$ Game = $25.15 (Orig $60)
DA:O CE + 10$ Game = $31.50 (Orig $75)
DA:O SE + 20$ Game = $29.30 (Orig $70)
DA:O CE + 20$ Game = $35.65 (Orig $85)

I think there is a $2 tax on everything, not completely sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting Dragon Age and Crysis. Couldn't resist :). I downloaded and installed them on my Windows 7 64-bit RC machine and had some hiccups but after restarting, both games launched and ran just fine.

I wanted to get the Digital Deluxe version of DAO but it didn't seem to be available last night. Oh well. I'd much rather have these games on Steam but it's hard to pass them up at these prices.

[quote name='THHG']I ended up getting Dragon Age and Crysis. Couldn't resist :). I downloaded and installed them on my Windows 7 64-bit RC machine and had some hiccups but after restarting, both games launched and ran just fine.

I wanted to get the Digital Deluxe version of DAO but it didn't seem to be available last night. Oh well. I'd much rather have these games on Steam but it's hard to pass them up at these prices.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm getting horribly confused about this. Did you need to launch the games through the download manager or do they become standalone, normally installed games?

Was probably gonna bite on Mirror's Edge and Dragon Age...but having to use EA's thing. Ugh. I'd rather just have it on Steam.

It wouldn't be possible to activate the game on Steam via a key provided by EA, would it?

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Sorry I'm getting horribly confused about this. Did you need to launch the games through the download manager or do they become standalone, normally installed games?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, nobody is giving a definitive answer to this question. It will decide if I make a purchase or not.

[quote name='Bervda']Yeah, nobody is giving a definitive answer to this question. It will decide if I make a purchase or not.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, I really want to get Mass Effect since I'm stupid and didn't think I'd want to play on PC at the time of the D2D deal, but if this is crap I'm just gonna get it off gamestop.com for $10. Would be nice to get another game though really cheap...

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Sorry I'm getting horribly confused about this. Did you need to launch the games through the download manager or do they become standalone, normally installed games?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't have a definitive answer since I had EADM open the whole time. I can check tonight when I get home if no one else can answer by then. According to the EA site you have to have EADM to play the games, but I don't know if you need to have it open and running (it may launch automatically if you don't already have it open).

I played Crysis by using the icon in my Programs menu (but EADM was still running) and I played DAO by launching it from EADM (clicking Play).

[quote name='Bervda']Yeah, nobody is giving a definitive answer to this question. It will decide if I make a purchase or not.[/QUOTE]

Same, that will be the deciding factor for me

Went ahead and bit. Picked up Dragon Age and Mercenaries 2 for a total of $26.95. So about $13.50 for each game. Thanks for the heads up OP!

Oh and since you guys are wondering, the way you launch a game is just like how it works on Steam. Launch the EA program, then the game. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I suppose if you don't like how Steam works, then you probably won't like how EA does it.

[quote name='Marker']Make sure you guys backup your downloaded games from the EA store. EA will only let you download your games for 1 year from their purchase date. I couldn't find anything on their website on how to do this, but after some googling, I found out that the installers are downloaded to:

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache\{ "your account number" }

You can backup the folders to a DVD-R from here. You don't even need the EADM running to use the installers. Just tried it w/ my just purchased Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe off a USB flash drive.[/QUOTE]

How can they only allow it for one year? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having their software running but come one, a year? If I ever want to do anything to my computer, I can't play it again unless the back up works. I've also read that in the past, they kept changing the name of the downloader and then it didn't allow the back ups to work so then you're out of luck. As much as this is an awesome deal, I think this makes me pass. I just keep seeing screw job all over this one. Thanks for nothing EA.

First of all, ive downloaded dead space at least three times since i purchased it less than a year ago, so that is false. Also, EA download manager does not have to be open to run the game, as the game will have its own DRM, as you all know (its EA). EA download manager just allows you to download and activate a game, but once it is activated, you no longer need to run it. Although, i recommend keeping it on your computer because, like steam, it allows you to re download your games.

[quote name='rctycoon']First of all, ive downloaded dead space at least three times since i purchased it less than a year ago, so that is false. Also, EA download manager does not have to be open to run the game, as the game will have its own DRM, as you all know (its EA). EA download manager just allows you to download and activate a game, but once it is activated, you no longer need to run it. Although, i recommend keeping it on your computer because, like steam, it allows you to re download your games.[/QUOTE]

You say you've downloaded it 3 times since you've purchased it LESS THAN a year ago. Did you mean that or more than a year? Cause I'm talking about after a year. I've read that after a year, you can't download it anymore unless you pay a fee or something like that. I just wish EA had somewhere on their website that states the facts cause I can't find much about it.

[quote name='CRH7386']You say you've downloaded it 3 times since you've purchased it LESS THAN a year ago. Did you mean that or more than a year? Cause I'm talking about after a year. I've read that after a year, you can't download it anymore unless you pay a fee or something like that. I just wish EA had somewhere on their website that states the facts cause I can't find much about it.[/QUOTE]
Well, i have my EA download manager open right now, and it is allowing me to download Deadspace, and its been over a year, since i purchased it on release day.

[quote name='rctycoon']Well, i have my EA download manager open right now, and it is allowing me to download Deadspace, and its been over a year, since i purchased it on release day.[/QUOTE]

Well this is good news! Thanks for letting me know :D Maybe that was an old policy or something. I guess I will be purchasing Dragon Age Origins and either Sims 3 with expansion or Crysis Maximum Edition.

[quote name='rctycoon'] EA download manager just allows you to download and activate a game, but once it is activated, you no longer need to run it. Although, i recommend keeping it on your computer because, like steam, it allows you to re download your games.[/QUOTE]

/sigh, yet another conflicting statement. Are you sure you can run the game without needing the EA Download Manager running? This would make it more like a... download manager... rather than a Steam service right?

[quote name='rctycoon']Well, i have my EA download manager open right now, and it is allowing me to download Deadspace, and its been over a year, since i purchased it on release day.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure there are no hidden fees? I'm about to bite on some games but I need to know if they are reliable.:bomb:

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']/sigh, yet another conflicting statement. Are you sure you can run the game without needing the EA Download Manager running? This would make it more like a... download manager... rather than a Steam service right?[/QUOTE]

Running Dragon Age deluxe from EAstore digital purchase.

GAME does NOT appear to require EADM to play, unless EADM is running as an insidious autostarting background program.

They don't sell a digital copy of Crysis Maximum Edition :whistle2:/ Which I guess I can understand because it would probably be a huge file!

EA download manager has no hidden fees, and i have had zero problems with it. I dont even remember its there most the time.

With all this bickering, you guys are missing out on an amazing deal. I am downloading Dragon Age and FIFA09 right now. All I paid was a total of 25.15

Good deal on DA with the stacking (I got it up to the checkout page) but I couldn't justify having to install the EA download manager.

You only need it to download the games. After you download as an earlier poster mentioned, you can go to the C: drive to Program Data and go to your account number. Remove the folder which contains the set up files and put it on a dvd-r media. You then can install it with out EADM. Also it is almost as if you have the game to normally install.

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']With all this bickering, you guys are missing out on an amazing deal. I am downloading Dragon Age and FIFA09 right now. All I paid was a total of 25.15[/QUOTE]
My whole thing is that I don't like having extra programs that I have download for probably one time uses at most. Not to mention that I have to also pick out a second game that I may also not want just to get a good deal on a game I do want.

It's basically extra, unneeded work. If DA comes with an activation code and I knew it works with Steam, I would go for it.

Your loss. The way I look at it, I basically just bought Dragon Age: Origins for $27, and got a copy of Mercenaries 2 for free. Besides, is an 8 MB program that big of a deal, even if you only use it a handful of times?

Also, rctycoon is right about not needing the EA program to run. I booted DA:O to see if it works without it and it does. Also checked task manager to see if it's running in the background and it's not. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=115292

wanna jump for Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but don't know why the site appeared spanish with euros with my ea account and eadm from US.
Can i buy the games from the store in another computer and later download it through the eadm in my main pc?

Edit: was able to work around with firefox​

I got Dragon Age Origins, Sims 3 and Sims 3 World Adventures for $62. Can't beat that. EADM is working fine in Windows 7 64-bit. Installing Sims now, Dragon is only about half way done downloading.

Picked up Mass Effect and DAO for ~$28 with tax. Quite a good deal.

Edit: Everything is downloading fine on Windows 7 64bit

Epic fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Store

"Users are given one year from the time of purchase to download a game.[5] This period can be extended by five years, via the Extended Download Service, by paying a $6 US fee.[6] This is unlike most other digital distribution platforms which allow users to re-download their purchases in the future without limitations. This means that after one year if you need to reinstall the software/game that you must repay the full price. Some users[who?] have questioned the legality of such a practice."

From the EA store itself:
https://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/DisplayOrderInformationPage

"What is Extended Download Service? Our Standard Download Service will keep your download available for one year from the date of purchase. If you choose the Extended Download Service, your download will be available for an additional 5 years beyond the standard one year period."

Was about to buy DA:O and ME. Good thing I didn't. Already pirated them and beat them, would've been nice to own them. I'll wait for a better deal.

You know, sure, you can't redownload it forever, but as long as you keep the installer, you'll be able to install and play it.

This really isn't worse than, like, retail copies. They don't give you free replacement discs for life, you know?

Yea and if I keep my RAR files I'll be able to re-install them forever too. Flawed logic.

One would have to be a complete fool and douse their games with gasoline or something. It isn't hard to take normal care of games.

My Fallout 2 copy from 1998 is in perfect condition. My big boxed copy of Starlancer from 2000 is in near mint condition. The same with my complete longbox copy of Wing Commander III for the 3DO and the majority of my other games. There exceptions of course like the couple of scratches on my Sewer Shark Sega CD game but nothing drastic.

Steam and Impulse let you download these games for as long as both of these services are running. There is no reason why EA shouldn't allow you to do that too.

Just in case you haven't read earlier posts

My guess is he didn't buy the extended service. So whether or not the 1 year limit is strict has been put into question.

Yes I read the entire thread and was about to pay through PayPal before Googling for more info.

Dude, that's one source against the official EA Store FAQ! No one even asked if he purchased the extended crap or the exact date that he bought the game.

Moar info:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/99392-13-downloader

That's from last year. It appears from the first post that back then you could only download the game for the first 3 months.

Some other FAQ from an unknown date that was posted here previously:
http://knowyourgame.reclaimyourgame.com/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=3

"Q: What is the policy on activation limits?
A: You have 6 months in which to re-download your games as many times as you want. You can buy a two year extension of this ability for US$6.99. The actual online game distribution is subcontracted to Digital River by EA."

In all cases of EA Store, you're paying for a rental.

I highly recommend to all you folks buying from here to make a DVD backup of the game. The key they send you should still work fine.

I really didn't have any issues with the download or the installs for DAO and ME. I even picked up the Pinnancle Station download for free with the $5 Wendy's coupon froma few weeks ago. All in all, a fine experience.

When installing via the EA downloader it says you can install it on as many computers as you'd like; it's tied to your EA ID, which is very similar to the Steam authentication mechanism.

You can always burn the installer files from Digital River onto a DVD if you'd like (I'm doing that now) but this is a great deal and seems to work fine, without all the FUD about DRM issues and EA's store. I didn't pay for the extended download service, nor do I think I'll need it with multiple backup copies and a burned DVD of the installers.

You can find all of the installers here:

C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EADM\cache\{ 2297086714 }

Does Mass Effect have the installer files in your account folder? rhewes, that is your account number it is unique. I will see if I can back it up. I wanted to finally get these two games and I believe that having these tips will help me avoid using EADM as I believe it is very annoying; especially the 1 year limit on downloading.

Yes - all of the installer files are dumped into the directory, each one has their own separate folder. For my recent purchases, I see the following three folders:

dragonagedlx_dd
mass_effect
mass_effect_ps_dd

and then the 'extra content' from DAO (I changed my mind at the last minute and bought the digital deluxe version of DAO)

dragonagedlx_soundtrack.zip
dragonagedls_wallpaper.zip

and the pref document
MyPrefs.ead

I copied the three folders onto my external backup drive and it looks like a regular setup file and structure are in each of the folders.

I'll try my burned DVD installer of DAO on my MacBook bootcamp partition tonight w/out installing the EA app and see how that goes.

got Mass Effect and am installing XP on my macbook pro so I can run it. Wanted to try this one but will never buy a X360 because of RROD.

Bit on The Saboteur, Battlefield 2142 Deluxe (been wanting to try that), and SimCity Societies Destinations for myself. Purchased The Sims 3 World Adventures Expansion Pack, SPORE Galactic Adventures and Creepy and Cute Parts Pack for the family. Total came to $90.17 with tax. Paid with Sims 3 cash cards bought back during the 50% off deal at Best Buy, so actually only cost me about $45!

[quote name='Tancred']Yea and if I keep my RAR files I'll be able to re-install them forever too. Flawed logic.

One would have to be a complete fool and douse their games with gasoline or something. It isn't hard to take normal care of games.

My Fallout 2 copy from 1998 is in perfect condition. My big boxed copy of Starlancer from 2000 is in near mint condition. The same with my complete longbox copy of Wing Commander III for the 3DO and the majority of my other games. There exceptions of course like the couple of scratches on my Sewer Shark Sega CD game but nothing drastic.

Steam and Impulse let you download these games for as long as both of these services are running. There is no reason why EA shouldn't allow you to do that too.[/QUOTE]

Burn a DVD with the installer on it. Keep it with your regular games. Not that goddamn hard.

[quote name='rhewes']Yes - all of the installer files are dumped into the directory, each one has their own separate folder. For my recent purchases, I see the following three folders:

dragonagedlx_dd
mass_effect
mass_effect_ps_dd

and then the 'extra content' from DAO (I changed my mind at the last minute and bought the digital deluxe version of DAO)

dragonagedlx_soundtrack.zip
dragonagedls_wallpaper.zip

and the pref document
MyPrefs.ead

I copied the three folders onto my external backup drive and it looks like a regular setup file and structure are in each of the folders.

I'll try my burned DVD installer of DAO on my MacBook bootcamp partition tonight w/out installing the EA app and see how that goes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I actually was backing it up. It is really easy to back up. I am not sure about installing. I have to try to install Mass Effect tonight but I hope that it will work out. The EA store deal is good although I have read, you have to back up the games manually or else you have to buy that stupid download extender :(

bread's done
Back