EA strikes back against Gamestop (USED must pay $20 dollars for new feature)

[quote name='b3b0p']At least the service is free if you buy the game new.

They could sell it as a separate service or DLC or not provide this feature at all. I doubt it costs EA nothing to produce these updates. There are developers/programmers, servers, bandwidth, maintenance, administration.

The game should be just as enjoyable without an updated roster.

I still play and enjoy Tecmo Super Bowl.

I fail to see how EA is controlling the used game market by doing this.[/quote]
God damn. Do I have to spell it out for you? It is because EA is doing it. If they are doing it, it must be bad. ;)

[quote name='DarkSageRK']No. That's the problem. You kids HAVEN'T been buying their shit.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Then why is it that there able to make sport games every year?

lol, it's funny you think because people don't give in and blindly buy that EA wouldn't implement these blatant ripoffs because what they'd really do then is see how far they could go til people woke up and realized why their arses were so damn sore all the time.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think that's really lame of EA. Only gamers would have to deal with this kind of crap. -_-

Games cost too much, there's no shame in buying used.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I'm probably in the minority, but I think that's really lame of EA. Only gamers would have to deal with this kind of crap. -_-

Games cost too much, there's no shame in buying used.[/quote]When there's not a readily available new copy available because something is OOP, I'd agree, but comeon, when something just hit, is a $4 savings really worth lining GameStop's pockets rather than people's who made the game you're going to enjoy?

[quote name='daroga']When there's not a readily available new copy available because something is OOP, I'd agree, but comeon, when something just hit, is a $4 savings really worth lining GameStop's pockets rather than people's who made the game you're going to enjoy?[/quote]

I don't even buy used games from GS though.

[quote name='daroga']When there's not a readily available new copy available because something is OOP, I'd agree, but comeon, when something just hit, is a $4 savings really worth lining GameStop's pockets rather than people's who made the game you're going to enjoy?[/quote]

The $4 savings do not justify all the bitching but in reality most of us CAGS who buy used games at GS/Ebay/Goozex are using coupons resulting in savings close to $15-$20. Usually, I buy either NBA Live or NBA2K in May right before the NBA playoffs start for about $20 used. Instead, now I may have to pay an additional $20 for this feature, which adds a new level of realism to the game and "greatly" alters gameplay (it's more than a mere roster update). There lies my problem with EA.

[quote name='kill3r7']The $4 savings do not justify all the bitching but in reality most of us CAGS who buy used games at GS/Ebay/Goozex are using coupons resulting in savings close to $15-$20. Usually, I buy either NBA Live or NBA2K in May right before the NBA playoffs start for about $20 used. Instead, now I may have to pay an additional $20 for this feature, which adds a new level of realism to the game and "greatly" alters gameplay (it's more than a mere roster update). There lies my problem with EA.[/quote]

If you're not playing for most of the season, then this feature won't benefit you. It's real time stat tracking. If you wait for the playoffs, then it would end up being pretty much a roster/player update. And I doubt that EA will support it next year when NBA Live 2010 comes out and they want you to buy that one.

$20? Not bad, I hope I can set up a credit card to be deducted this amount everytime there is a new update.

Or I can just buy NBA 2k9 instead. Hmmm...decisions... decisions

Crappy updated graphics NBA Live 09 vs. Year after year of improvement with 2k9

[quote name='magus83']Huh? Then why is it that there able to make sport games every year?[/quote]

People other than you kids buy them. See, it works like this...EA makes enough monies to turn a profit from these franchises, but they look at Gamestop's profits on used copies of their games which make them no money.

Seeing this potential lost profit, they decide to do something about it. That is, give people an incentive to buy their product new. They don't give a fuck if you don't like it or not simply because you're not their customers the minute you decide to buy a used game.

So, apparently now Gears of War 2 is *also* doing this, by including a map pack code for 'new' buyers.

Welcome to the new world gaming, folks.

[quote name='007']So, apparently now Gears of War 2 is *also* doing this, by including a map pack code for 'new' buyers.

Welcome to the new world gaming, folks.[/quote]

Lost Planet did this with the CE version. But no one made a big stink. So what is the point of saying this? I have a ton of these token cards in my 360 collection.

Seriously. I hate EA as much as the next guy, but they aren't putting out a racing game where you can't turn left or a Fight Night where you have to buy punches. When that happens, I will be up in arms with everyone.

[quote name='kill3r7']First sale doctrine [17 USC §109(a)]→ the copyright owner only has the rights with respect to the first sale; he may not limit the sale by purchasers ( the exception being licensed products ie itunes).
[/quote]

Limitation of sale refers to the method of disposal (to whom it is sold, at what price, etc). Taking a literal reading of not being able to "limit" the sale for future purposes... inability to update rosters is placing a limitation on what information is transfered. Given that these updates are online updates, provided by EA, it is not part of the disk-based game, no court would ever interpret "limitation" this broadly. As far as re-selling, no limitation has been placed on purchasers with respect to whom the item can be sold, for what price and where it can be sold. You could argue that the fee incurred for buying used direct from EA places a limitation on the price, but it really doesn't since you can try to sell it at whatever price you'd like (84.99, even though nobody would buy it).

I haven't gone through the End User Licensing Agreement or jacket material for this game, but I suspect that you would probably benefit more from a breach of contract claim, rather than a stretched Limitation of Sales, when they deny your request for a refund after you decline their EULA. I anticipate that the jacket holds updated rosters as a feature of the game and that the EULA has the standard EA EULA language.

Truth is, whether you like Gamestop or not (which the majority of people seem to dislike the), even the brain damaged could see the adverse effects on other companies. This includes rental companies and other second-hand stores. Sure, EA doesn't have to care since they are out to make money just like any other company... but I suspect that with a little market research that this move will ultimately hurt their numbers in the future. Many parents are quickly getting turned off at the 59.99 price tag of video games that provide only a few hours of entertainment and are outdated in less than one year... moving to purchase used games at the discounted rate. Ultimately, I see this as having little-to-no effect on the current sale of used or new games...

Honestly, 20$ to update a roster? I'd rather spend that on two PSN or XBLA games. I bet they could have gotten away with $5, though. I will personally rent the game first from my local BBV with my monthly free rental and move along.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but after trolling through these posts... I really do enjoy that nearly everybody "for" this move refers to those "against" the move as "kids." Really people? If you don't like gamestop... so be it. If somebody differs in opinion? Good for them. Calling those with different opinions, kids? That's just screaming to be called out for immaturity and ignorance.

[quote name='konamifan2002']If everyone stoped buying used games the industry whould be muich better off.[/quote]

What you think they'd lower prices? ha. I remember when gas was $.99 but will that evah happen again? fuck no...

[quote name='leveskikesko']I don't even buy used games from GS though.[/quote]

Anybody that does is pretty stupid imo... at least a cag should know that.

There's a reason Gamestop keeps posting record profits every quarter. When you're making a $20-$30 profit for each game you sell, it adds up quick. They've monopolized the market and now they feel like they can sit back and run less sales (remember when Buy 2 Get 1 sales used to be almost monthly?) and decrease trade in values (we still see very few trade in values above $25-30 despite a $10 increase in base new game prices). Personally, I'm glad to see a publisher finally standing up to Gamestop and telling them to go fuck themselves.

Granted a lot of us on CAG know how to work the gamestop system and not lose too much value on our trade ins (or perhaps even make a profit if lucky) but the vast public doesn't and that's Gamestop's bread and butter.

[quote name='Kendal']I hate EA as much as the next guy, but they aren't putting out a racing game where you can't turn left.[/quote]But they make one where you can't turn right.

nascar09.jpg

[quote name='Kendal']That would be funny if it wasn't so painfully incorrect.[/quote]I'm aware that there are off road races and all sorts of shit in Nascar where you do turn right. Just a quick joke that I thought of immediately after reading his post. ;)

I figured. Just irks me when people think all these people do is turn left for hours on end. Anyway, yeah. I guess they already make a game where you can't turn right, for most of the tracks. :D

[quote name='Kendal']I figured. Just irks me when people think all these people do is turn left for hours on end. Anyway, yeah. I guess they already make a game where you can't turn right, for most of the tracks. :D[/quote]Haha, ignorance is frustrating, I agree.

I like to buy used games when I can get them for $10-$15, otherwise I buy new. The only game that I bought used soon after it came out was Oblivion GOTY edition for $40, and I had already bought the original and then sold it, so the developer did see money straight from me for the game they made. I bought Lost Planet, Dead Rising, and many PSP games used because of the 35% off coupons I get from GS, otherwise I buy new.

One game I'm going to buy soon is Burnout Paradise, and while I would normally buy an older game like this used for under $20, I'm going to buy a new copy for $30 since the developers are releasing great updates for free, so I feel like they deserve some money for that. Plus I just bought the guide for $0.40 from BB, so I'm getting a deal.

I buy games new that I think deserve the money. Fable 2, Banjo Kazooie, and Gears of War 2 are three games that will definitely be getting my money this holiday, and if some other games look good enough to pay the extra $10-$20 to support the developer, then I'll buy them new.

Actually, come to think of it... EA is like the video game equivalent to nascrap. Although, I consider distruction derby more racing than nascrap. Either way they can't turn right or left and when they're going straight they still hit walls.

[quote name='Regian']I made the flip to NBA Live last year in terms of basketball games. I do a lot of renting from GameFly, so I'm basically getting the idea that if I get one of the first rental copies that the code will be on my console. If anyone else who rents the game from GameFly gets an previously rented copy, that feature is going to get locked out for every single person who gets that copy. Unless the first renter buys it out of the gate, of course. This is hurting more than just GameStop. This also hurts rental services and chains a little, too. People who want to rent the game will have this highly-touted feature blocked out.
Well places like Gamefly and other rental sites will not be able to get the DNA code since it comes in the box correct? So when you buy a game from Gamefly and get the code it will be there. When you rent it you get nothing. So buy the game get the DNA don't buy it and get a non-updating B-Ball game.

All in all I don't care at all for this. Its not a title I play so it doesn't matter. Honestly you could just go to BBV and get a code from there display boxes if you ask nicely. Now if this happens to Madden maybe there will be a bigger outcry about this but NBA no, it won't make a splash

bread's done
Back