Early Adopters Owned Again (IPhone)

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Apple iPhone Owners Outraged by Huge Price Cut

Apple iPhone owners, to put it mildly, are ticked off.
The unveiling of Apple's completely revamped iPod line Wednesday in San Francisco was overshadowed by a detail head honcho Steve Jobs tossed off almost as an aside: Less than 10 weeks after the much-ballyhooed combination cell phone/media player/Web surfer went on sale, its price was cut by $200.
That means early adopters who rushed to get the devices despite the high prices paid a premium of at least $20 for every extra week they could say they had the summer's hot new gadget.
"I feel like I just got punched in the face," said one commenter on the MacRumors blog. "Fanboy tax indeed."
The 8-gigabyte iPhone, once $599, was cut to $399. The 4-gigabyte model, formerly $499, was discontinued, and will sell for $299 until stocks are gone.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295917,00.html

LoL

[quote name='lebowsky']Punched in the face? That dude punched himself in the face when he paid $600 for a fucking phone.

I paid $400 for a Sega Saturn. Early adopting hurts wallets.[/quote]Yeah, I feel very little pity, unfortunately.

I really don't see what the big deal is. This isn't anything new. Early adopters almost always "get punched in the face". If you are worried about price, don't buy the item right out of the gate. This isn't hidden. Guess what, the PS3 is going to be $300 one day. When it happens, if you bought it for more, it isn't anyone's fault, you got it early, and you paid for the privledge.

Anyone who thought the I Phone would be $600 for long was nuts. Now, did I expect it to fall quite this fast, no. But, I don't have sympathy.

Note: I also paid $400 for a Saturn. Actually, as much as I could have gotten it cheaper, I really never regretted it. My favorite game in the arcade at the time was Virtua Fighter, so to have it at home was worth the cost.

$600 for a phone? Seriously that's what they cost? I haven't paid for a cell phone EVER... I just wait the 2 years and get the free upgrade when I renew my service plan. $600?!?!?!? People are fuucking crazy. The price drop is funny though...

Early adoptions never made sense to me. Why pay ridiculous amounts of cash to bascially beta test a product? Prices always go down.

[quote name='javeryh']$600 for a phone? Seriously that's what they cost? I haven't paid for a cell phone EVER... I just wait the 2 years and get the free upgrade when I renew my service plan. $600?!?!?!? People are fuucking crazy. The price drop is funny though...[/quote]

Yeah me too!

Not only do I not have sympathy for the pricks but I actually am happy this happned. I wanted an Iphone SOOOooo bad but didnt get one and now look! Ha ha ya spoiled bitches!

[quote name='javeryh']$600 for a phone? Seriously that's what they cost? I haven't paid for a cell phone EVER... I just wait the 2 years and get the free upgrade when I renew my service plan. $600?!?!?!? People are fuucking crazy. The price drop is funny though...[/QUOTE]

$600 and then you had to sign up for a contract that started at something like $60 per month IIRC.

Dropping this drastically this fast is pretty bad even by early adopter standards.

This is not just a case of early adopters getting kinda owned like usual.

Early adopters are getting absolutely fucked on this one :lol: Seriously, I don't think there is a worse case of early adoption punishment and I'm wondering why Apple did it this way...

There is no reason to spend that much on a phone that came out so soon other than to be able to say "I have an I-phone." They were able to say it and show it off and show everybody how cool they were and they deserved every single cent they got fucked out of.

don't we normally applaud pricedrops on this site? Aren't we glad when we can save money? It seems very rediculous to me that people are complaining about this.

It seems like this is the first time people have openly complained about a pricedrop. Silly.

[quote name='xmrblondex']don't we normally applaud pricedrops on this site? Aren't we glad when we can save money? It seems very rediculous to me that people are complaining about this.

It seems like this is the first time people have openly complained about a pricedrop. Silly.[/QUOTE]

No one's complaining except the early adopter quoted in the first post.

The rest of us are laughing our asses off.

[quote name='Apossum']This is not just a case of early adopters getting kinda owned like usual.

Early adopters are getting absolutely fucked on this one :lol: Seriously, I don't think there is a worse case of early adoption punishment and I'm wondering why Apple did it this way...[/quote]
pricecollapseqp7.jpg

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.
First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.
Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.
Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.
Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.
We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.
Steve Jobs
Apple CEO
that would ease my pain a little bit.

To all iPhone customers:

Hay guys, sorry 'bout the surprise buttsecks, but here's an opportunity to buy more of our stuff.

kthxbai,

Steve Jobs
Apple CEO

fixed.

In B4 "OMG they offer a $100 giftcard and yuo guys still bitch?!11"

The iPhone has competition? I thought it was going after the market that didn't exist, but was instantaneously created due to some peoples' love of all things Apple.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I really don't see what the big deal is. This isn't anything new. Early adopters almost always "get punched in the face". If you are worried about price, don't buy the item right out of the gate. This isn't hidden. Guess what, the PS3 is going to be $300 one day. When it happens, if you bought it for more, it isn't anyone's fault, you got it early, and you paid for the privledge.[/quote]
There's a difference, the PS3 didn't drop 10 week after it launched, it took eight months for that to happen.

It's nothing new for Apple to do, which seems to be the price you pay to buy anything they offer.

How the fuck is $100 to the Apple Store going to ease the fact that you still are out another hundred bucks for buying the phone early.

What makes this even funnier is the fact that the new iPods have all the same functions just without the phone.

I felt bad when I bought a PSP for $200 and it went down the next month to $169.

I can't imagine what it will be like to get hosed like an Iphone user.

bread's done
Back