Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon Thread - 11/2/2010 Update: Two MASSIVE Changes

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
picture.php

The Earth Defense Force is finally back! The sequel to cult-classic 'Earth Defense Force 2017' has gigantic ants, spiders, bees, and more overrunning the city of New Detroit and you--a proud member of the Earth Defense Force--are tasked with exterminating the giant insects. This thread is dedicated to all things EDF. I figured the General Gaming forum was the place to put this since it's a multi-platform game.

[quote name='Official EDF:IA Press Release']
MEDIA ALERT
DON’T LET THE INSECTS WIN! Join the Earth Defense Force in the Battle Between
Man and Giant Bug in Earth Defense Force®: Insect Armageddon™ This Spring
The bugs are back in Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, and its no picnic for the
world’s elite soldiers as the most concentrated giant insect invasion ever threatens
human civilization unless the Earth Defense Force (EDF) can stop them! Earth Defense
Force: Insect Armageddon from D3Publisher (D3P), is a co‐op multiplayer Arcade
Shooter that gives the player the ability to destroy thousands of giant bugs and turn an
entire city to rubble in an unforgettable gaming experience built for replay. Earth
Defense Force: Insect Armageddon will be available this spring in North America for
Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3
computer entertainment system and is under development by Vicious Cycle and is
currently rated “RP” (Rating Pending) by the ESRB.

About Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Taking place in the fictional city of New Detroit, Earth Defense Force: Insect
Armageddon is a completely new game developed by Vicious Cycle that takes on the
concept of Earth Defense Force 2017 (Japanese Title “Earth Defense Force 3” developed by
SANDLOT). Insect Armageddon continues to follow the rich history of casual fun and
addictive gameplay that made the franchise a cult classic. Insect Armageddon also adds a
new aspect to the Earth Defense Force series that was born in Japan, with additional
elements for all EDF soldiers to experience. The Campaign mode that lets up to three
players team up online to battle the insects and aliens across a completely destroyable
city. Every EDF soldier is armed with over 150 weapons and four upgradeable armor
sets and engages in nonstop arcade action that is the fastest and deadliest in the series.
In addition, the game also features a six‐player Survival mode that pits a human squad against
a nonstop onslaught of the largest enemies the aliens have to offer. New Detroit’s giant bug
problem is unavoidable, and mankind’s last hope lies with the Earth Defense Force to defend
the world from the insect swarm, even if it means blowing up the entire city as part of the
extermination process.[/QUOTE]

picture.php

It appears that there is an alien(Ravager?) UFO in the background. BRING ON THE WALKERS AND DINO-MECHS!

picture.php

It's not the Galewing, but the jet pack will do. The ants now look 10x creepier than they did in Earth Defense Force 2017.

----Features----

150 Weapons
4 Different Upgradeable Armor Types, Including Jet Packs
3-Player Online Co-Op Mode
6-Player Survival Mode(Offline Playability Status TBD)
Split-Screen Co-Op - Added 11/2/2010
Random Weapon Drops
- Added 11/2/2010

More Features Added As Info Is Released

----Game Information----

Publisher: D3 Publisher

Developer: Vicious Cycle

Release Date: Spring 2011

Systems: PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

ESRB Rating: RP(Rating Pending)

----Videos----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8pmGonWKVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TshfEPblg

Image Credits: [Destructoid] [NeoGAF]

Disclaimer:
I have no affiliation with any company related to this game. This is a fan-created thread. Thread not actually sponsored by Raid Insecticide.

Last edited by a moderator:
----11/2/2010 Status Update----
IGN
has confirmed that Split-Screen Co-Op and Random Weapon Drops have been added to Insect Armageddon due to negative fan reaction. IGN also has a new gameplay trailer up showcasing the new Split-Screen Co-Op with two people playing.

----10/15/2010 Status Update----
D3 Publisher's press site has confirmed EDF:IA's MSRP at $40

----New Intel----
"Infinite replayability through arcade style scoring, dynamic level generating in replay mode"

----10/1/2010 Status Update----
Destructoid and 1Up have gone hands-on with Insect Armageddon. Gameplay trailer features expanded footage from the 'On The Spot' piece.

----New Intel----
No local co-op.
Maximum 80 enemies on screen with 30 frames-per-second.
Two A.I. EDF soldier bots when playing alone.
Improved vehicle controls.
Campaign takes about 8 hours on normal.
Buildings crumble differently depending on how hit.
Inferno mode confirmed.
DLC support confirmed.
Remix mode makes enemy types in Campaign mode missions random.
Genocide Gun-like weapon.
Tick enemy-type confirmed.
Jet Armor-type code-named "Lightning".
Ant hills confirmed.

----9/30/2010 Status Update----

GameSpot's 'On The Spot' video show has the first gameplay video for EDF:IA(Starts 6 minutes in).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TshfEPblg

----New Intel----
Weapons and armor upgraded/purchased through a credit-based shop system.
Hector Walking Arm robots confirmed and shown in the video.
"Ravager" name for the aliens confirmed to be returning from EDF2017.
Fellow players defeated in survival mode can be revived.
Offline and Online modes are exactly the same.
Character progress is the same between Offline and Online.
Voice Actor, Steven Blum(Spike from Cowboy Bebop), apparently voicing one of the main EDF soldiers.
Heads of Design from other EDF games advising Insect Armageddon.
EDF soldier one-liners return.
Trooper/Storm-1 confirmed.
Jet Armor acts like Palewing from other games.
Battle Armor is slow, but a "heavy weapon, tank-type character". Has an energy shield.
Tactical Armor has lighter weapons overall, but can deploy different turrets. "Plasma launchers all over the battlefield."
Weapons different per armor-type.
Story about as coherent as EDF2017's. "it's not going to be the thrust or focus of the experience."
3-Player online co-op for the entire campaign mode.
6-Player survival mode.​

Got EDF for 5 bucks after all the gushing from folks on CAG. And like them I feel in love.

Its such a guity pleasure to earn a few 100 health here and there when I don't have time to play a "real" video game. I'm still on my quest to beat it on inferno but that may take like 5 years considering how fast the game kicks my ass.

[quote name='KingDox']Got EDF for 5 bucks after all the gushing from folks on CAG. And like them I feel in love.

Its such a guity pleasure to earn a few 100 health here and there when I don't have time to play a "real" video game. I'm still on my quest to beat it on inferno but that may take like 5 years considering how fast the game kicks my ass.[/QUOTE]I'm working on my forth year of playing 2017(110+ hours, so far) and I'm just now almost done with the "Hardest" campaign(about 10 missions left). Still many hours of spawn-camping Mission 52's right UFO on "Easy" with automated turrets in my future.:lol::lol::lol:

TIP:
Since there's a limit as to how many health/armor/weapon items can be on the battlefield at once, collect all of the items dropped by enemies before trying the "Mission 52 Turret Spawn-Camp" armor-acquisition tactic.

-----

Now that online co-op is confirmed and knowing what we now know about the game, what do you want to see in EDF: Insect Armageddon that hasn't been confirmed for the game yet?

[quote name='manthing']Have robot dinosaurs been confirmed yet?[/QUOTE]Not to my knowledge. So far, only Black Ants, Alien(?) Ants, Tarantula Spiders, Robotic Daddy Long-Legs Spiders that drop Tarantula Spiders, an unknown type of spider, Wasps/Bees, and (possibly) a new model of the Ravager Air Combat Fighter have been confirmed for Insect Armageddon.

Dino-Mechs(either type), Queen Ants, King Tarantula Spiders, Red/Fire Ants, "Hector" Walking Arms, Mini "Hectors" Walking Arms, Walking Fortresses, Royal Ravager Air Combat Fighters, and Mother Ship enemy-types from Earth Defense Force 2017 have yet to be confirmed for the game.:cry::cry::cry:

Really looking forward to this one. The original 360 one captured the "Smash TV with 3D gameplay" aspect perfectly.

Has anyone seen the Xbox 360 box art for EDF:IA in a high resolution and if so, where can I find it? All I've seen so far is the PS3 cover in high-res. I want to add both to the OP.

Two new hands-on previews have been added to the Intelligence Center with a summery. The Destructoid editor seems to have been turned on to the series after his Insect Armageddon hands-on. 80-max enemies on-screen at 30FPS.

no local co-op.. hmmm how typical.

The reason: limitation in tech..

no the REAL reason behind no local co-op: hope to sell more copies since Joe and his brother have to buy 2 instead of 1

Split-Screen Co-Op has been confirmed via a gameplay video posted on Kotaku.

IGN has revealed that random weapon drops will return for Insect Armageddon. Negative online feedback is responsible for both of these changes.

bread's done
Back