Earthbound just went for $355.00 on Ebay

[quote name='georox']Nintendo is so damn stupid for not finding a way to re-release this.[/QUOTE]

You mean Nintendo is just being Nintendo.

[quote name='Poor2More']You mean Nintendo is just being Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is making millions of dollars from casual software and by re-releasing Mario/Zelda games... their hobby is to tell their fans to go fuck themselves.

[quote name='Vinny']Nintendo is making millions of dollars from casual software and by re-releasing Mario/Zelda games... their hobby is to tell their fans to go fuck themselves.[/QUOTE]

Hobby is something you do on the side for fun, but we can all agree Nintendo has been at screwing the fans for years, guess that would make it their job now.

Yeah, this should be on the VC. Nintendo claims it's due to legal issues with all the pop culture references & music. It sounds like BS but enough excuse for them.

Zoinks!

I don't have the stickers with my copy either. In fact, neither the box nor the guide are in very good shape. But I also only paid $15, so you'll not hear a complaint from me.

And I agree that it's a damn shame that we never got the Mother 1 & 2 pack or Mother 3 in the US. I'm a fan of Nintendo in general, but they seem to be constantly acting against their original audience. ...Xenoblade, etc.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, this should be on the VC. Nintendo claims it's due to legal issues with all the pop culture references & music. It sounds like BS but enough excuse for them.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's "We don't know what parody laws are, and we're too lazy/cheap to investigate it." or, "We need an excuse to ignore them."

Still no reason why we didn't get Mother 3 here...

[quote name='georox']I'm pretty sure it's "We don't know what parody laws are, and we're too lazy/cheap to investigate it." or, "We need an excuse to ignore them."

Still no reason why we didn't get Mother 3 here...[/QUOTE]

It's more like, "Stupid Americans! You buy shitty games! Nobody in America care about good RPG, they only want shooting and sports and party game. Last time we check, you release stupid Madden game every year, and every year it ranks top ten. You want Mother? Screw you, we give you Deca Sports."

[quote name='Blade']It's more like, "Stupid Americans! You buy shitty games! Nobody in America care about good RPG, they only want shooting and sports and party game. Last time we check, you release stupid Madden game every year, and every year it ranks top ten. You want Mother? Screw you, we give you Deca Sports."[/QUOTE]

Ha! OK That was my laugh for the day.

[quote name='Blade']It's more like, "Stupid Americans! You buy shitty games! Nobody in America care about good RPG, they only want shooting and sports and party game. Last time we check, you release stupid Madden game every year, and every year it ranks top ten. You want Mother? Screw you, we give you Deca Sports."[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha. XD

But $355!?!?! Yikes! D:

Oh how I would love to find a copy of Earthbound in the wild. I just want the cart, don't need the other stuff. ;_;

This price is insane. What is the deal with Earthbound carts skyrocketing in value lately? Shame I can't clear out my horde of Mother merch...collectors only want Earthbound crap.

[quote name='escapekey']And I agree that it's a damn shame that we never got the Mother 1 & 2 pack or Mother 3 in the US.[/QUOTE]

The thing about that is...Mother 1+2 is a bit shit. It has a lot of the censorship from the versions localized for North America put back into the original Japanese versions. The music is downgraded and Mother 2 plays just a touch awkwardly. Some of the merch was OK though. The strap and the artbook were kind of nice although I ended up selling mine since they were just kind of sitting there. The promo posters were amazing though. Impossible to find these days though.

Mother 3 is god tier though.

I really wish I had bought EB back when it was easy to find. I rented it/borrowed a friends copy a couple times and my sister played the shit out of it. I'd love to give it another go nowadays but I'm not nearly a big enough sucker to pay that kind of money for a game with a dead or dying battery. Yeah, the batteries can be replaced but at $300+, I'm not getting a soldering iron anywhere near that cart.

[quote name='georox']Nintendo is so damn stupid for not finding a way to re-release this.[/QUOTE]

Id be willing to pay full price and pre order if they would just release it and the other earthbound games on the ds in a compilation. Just all text based so all they would have to do is translate it. I mean they wouldnt sell like 10 million copies or anything but they would indeed make quite a bundle of cash off it and please millions of fans. Sadly nintendo doesnt do anything for their fans.

And Im stupid for not keeping my old boxes. I kept all my gameboy, nes, snes games and such but I threw out all of my boxes back then that were cardboard.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just reminds me that I had a LIKE NEW condition one with the huge box, guide all the stickers and I sold it on ebay like 8 years ago for $100 bucks. *sigh* I thought they would have re-released it by now. To top things off I only paid a kid $10 for it since it was an "old" game no one wanted.

I have a complete Earthbound, except the stickers, grrr. I also have an empty Earthbound box that was used as a display. I wonder when the nostalgia will end for this game.

I think with eatch super smash bros. release, more people find out about earthbound and want to get it so demand goes up while supply goes down or stays stagnant, so the prices go up.

It's one of the few games I have been unable to play...despite nearly everyone gives it a glowing recommendation. Just can't get myself to sit and play it. (Usually quit after an hour, tops.)

I blame it on the fact that I've never played the actual cart version. I've hunted for years to find a cart-only copy in the wild (pawn shops, yard sales, etc.). Still haven't seen one to this day.

Until the day I find one (fairly cheap), I guess I won't know what I'm missing.

I think Nintendo wants us to play games like Wii Play, and not JRPGs like a re-release of Earthbound, Xenoblade, and The Last Story. Too bad I hate Wii Play

[quote name='Rig']It's one of the few games I have been unable to play...despite nearly everyone gives it a glowing recommendation. Just can't get myself to sit and play it. (Usually quit after an hour, tops.)

I blame it on the fact that I've never played the actual cart version. I've hunted for years to find a cart-only copy in the wild (pawn shops, yard sales, etc.). Still haven't seen one to this day.

Until the day I find one (fairly cheap), I guess I won't know what I'm missing.[/QUOTE]

It's just as good emulated. In fact, I prefer playing it with filters on my nice big screen and a classic controller to hooking up the Super NES and going at it.

I will say the experience certainly wouldn't be amazing coming into it after playing modern games. For it's day the menus were super smooth, the lack of random encounters was genius, the music was top notch. The attention to detail with the coding (map system, path finding, etc.) was all re-done BY HAND by none other than Satoru Iwata himself. So awesome.

It's a good game for the SNES era and one of my favorites but after all this time don't go into it expecting to have your mind blown or anything. Just play M2 and M3 and skip M1.

[quote name='cochesecochese']It's just as good emulated. In fact, I prefer playing it with filters on my nice big screen and a classic controller to hooking up the Super NES and going at it.

I will say the experience certainly wouldn't be amazing coming into it after playing modern games. For it's day the menus were super smooth, the lack of random encounters was genius, the music was top notch. The attention to detail with the coding (map system, path finding, etc.) was all re-done BY HAND by none other than Satoru Iwata himself. So awesome.

It's a good game for the SNES era and one of my favorites but after all this time don't go into it expecting to have your mind blown or anything. Just play M2 and M3 and skip M1.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure an emulator is just fine. However, I just cannot physically get myself to play them. I don't know what it is about emulators, but, they just don't beat the real thing (for me). I've tried to play other older games via emulator, and the same thing happened; I just couldn't get into them until I was playing the original.

I do hope, someday, that I can still appreciate it for what it is. I don't think that will be an issue, as there's been other games I missed and then ended up loving recently.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I think Nintendo wants us to play games like Wii Play, and not JRPGs like a re-release of Earthbound, Xenoblade, and The Last Story. Too bad I hate Wii Play[/QUOTE]
I actually think NoA hates gamers. They "claim" that they have a lot of hardcore titles coming out, but seriously, while Super Mario 3DS and Mario Kart 3DS will most likely be good, Mario Kart is being promoted as this new family game, and I am sure Mario will be too.

I also think they are afraid of RPG's because that require thinking, and they are worried people might think, oh this is too hard we don't like this. Pokemon doesn't count because it's Pokemon, that is something on it's own.

Now getting back on topic, that is an insane price on Earthbound but I am not surprised since Nintendo is too fucking lazy to do anything about this. Hell, they could re release all 3 Mother games on ONE DS cart, this way you can make up the costs for the music and all, and make a fuckton of money, or just let fucking Atlus do it and stop cock-blocking every other company.

I'd buy a port of Earthbound on the DS/DSi/3DS. I'd buy a 3DS if it was ported there. I never got the chance to play Earthbound on the Super Nintendo.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd buy a port of Earthbound on the DS/DSi/3DS. I'd buy a 3DS if it was ported there.[/QUOTE]

Same. Ocarina of Time 3d had me looking at 3DS' but I can't help but think that there will either be a new hardware revision/price drop when the Vita hits.

Still, 3-4 more must-have games would probably force my hand sooner rather than later.

Was that a complete copy or a bare cart? Probably complete. Time to sell my earthbound?! But it's at my parents and all my shipping supplies are at my parent's too. :drool:

But what if I want to go back and play it later? Decisions, decisions...

Complete. Cart, box, insert, papers, player's guide, stickers.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd buy a port of Earthbound on the DS/DSi/3DS. I'd buy a 3DS if it was ported there. I never got the chance to play Earthbound on the Super Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

There's definitely a part of me that hopes Nintendo is desperate/greedy enough to release a 25th anniversary Mother compilation in 2014.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
There's definitely a part of me that hopes Nintendo is desperate/greedy enough to release a 25th anniversary Mother compilation in 2014.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is plenty greedy but they've found a market that has more disposable income than gamers (parents and old people) that either don't understand or don't care about quality game who are paying $50 for mini game compilations that were probably made a cost similar to a N64 or Super Nintendo game.

For Mario, they just took Mario All-Stars and stuck it on a disc with a soundtrack and artbook. For Zelda's 25th, they gave OoT a face lift but added little to nothing new (they didn't even bother fixing the glitches!). And they completely ignored Metroid's 25th.

There's no way they would do anything for Mother.

I stuck by Nintendo through the N64, GameCube and the early years of the Wii but after that, it became clear where Nintendo was going in terms of its software line-up... which is why it fills me with glee inside when I see 3DS sales slugging and support for the Wii U questionable at best. Maybe if they fail, they actually have to go back and try to make good games on a regular basis- instead of 1 great original title, 5 ports and 30 pieces of casual software per year.

It saddens me to see how many nostalgic Nintendo fanboys cry tears of joy when they see ports of re-releases/ports of classic titles or some retro fan service and proclaim "NINTENDO IS THE BEST COMPANY EVAR!". I enjoy nostalgia too but just how much are they going to let Nintendo milk them using nostalgia?

/rant

EDIT* Oh, and before some smart-ass tries to argue with numbers and whatnot, no, my rant isn't backed by facts and statistics... it's a rant; it's exaggerated.

[quote name='Strell']I thought CAG was better than this.

Ok, haha, I really didn't, but this whole thread is pretty Gamefaqs up ins.[/QUOTE]

Is it so wrong to not like a company anymore?:p

[quote name='Vinny']There's no way they would do anything for Mother. [/QUOTE]

In America ;)

Remember, Iwata basically hand coded Mother 2. He's said many times how special the DQ series is to him (influenced Mother heavily) and Iwata is a close personal friend of Itoi's. Also keep in mind there was the recent wave of merch out of freaking nowhere.

I'm holding out hope.

[quote name='cochesecochese']

I'm holding out hope.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Or at the very least, we can always play fan translated and updated versions.:p

People can say they are holding out hope and blah blah blah, but the Mother series' time in the United States came and went. Whatever the truth may be, conspiracy theory or not, if we haven't seen the return of the series in the US by now, it's never coming. The most obvious sign was when Smash Brothers Brawl came out, and they actively deleted the Earthbound demo from the original Japanese version when they released it here. We will never see Earthbound again here in the US, ever, period.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']It saddens me to see how many nostalgic Nintendo fanboys cry tears of joy when they see ports of re-releases/ports of classic titles or some retro fan service and proclaim "NINTENDO IS THE BEST COMPANY EVAR!". I enjoy nostalgia too but just how much are they going to let Nintendo milk them using nostalgia? [/QUOTE]

It sickens me too but somehow it keeps working. They re-released Star Fox 64 recently in Japan and 3DS sales soared to the top of the charts again. Rehash is the name of the game these days for both Capcom and Nintendo. Do we really need Resident Evil 4 again? Did we really need all those Gamecube games with waggle added? Ugh.......

[quote name='twilliamsjr79']I just picked a copy of this from a yardsale.[/QUOTE]
That's not a bad deal. I just picked up 2 copies of this for the price of one from a yardsale.

I had 2 copies of this. Sold the other a few years ago it was, wait for... wait... brand new. I kid not. Never played, still in baggies, all pamphlets, ads, etc. Thing is, you can't tell if this game was actually really brand new or not, it never came with a factory seal. Guy who bought it though was convinced and left feedback stating such. The guide was shiny and crisp as can be, you knew it was never really opened by looking and feeling it. Did not get any where close to $300 for it though. I did get $300 for my MGS3 LE I paid $30 for though.

I still have one Earthbound left and it looks better than this copy on the bay. I even have the ads and such that it came with. I have no intention to sell it though.

Glad I picked my cart and guide version up for $80.

I think nintendo is rightfully worried about copywright infringement - there are numerous references to the beatles and some of the music samples the beatles and other artists.

Nintendo of America is lazy and the minimal work it would take to alter out the potentially dangerous stuff is WAY beyond what effort they're interested in putting into games that don't involve parties or dancing or smurfs.

IIRC the consensus is that NCL wanted to release the game in the U.S. NoA's lawyers vetted the game and came up with a list of changes that would have to be made in order to release the game without legal troubles. NCL didn't want to make those changes.

So, the game will never be released over here again.

The funny/terrible piece is that if they just threw it out there on the VC without making a big deal about it, no one would have noticed and if they did, Nintendo could just say, "Oh what a strange coincidence." But because it has been embroiled in so much discussion, we get shafted.

I just started playing a copy I bought on E-bay in the last couple of weeks (with box/no guide), and I have been having a blast with it. I don't think it's worth 300 just for the playing experience, but I never played it when it was originally out and I wanted it (payed 315 shipped but it was part of a larger lot, couple of CIB SNES and quite a few loose carts). Now i want the guide with stickers.

I have a cart of Earthbound. I wanted to play it but I'm afarid I might get addicted to it and want to keep it. If I sell it on Ebay, then this cart will pay 1/3 of the cost of a new tv I want to get. Damn decisions.

I seriously thought this thread was from two years ago. I didn't expect someone to be surprised at this price for a complete Earthbound in 2011.

It's not an outrageous price, considering it is a game that will never be re-released in any form, comes with a full guide, and a large box. The box is usually the critical factor in the price. A complete copy with near-flawless box will fetch even more than $350. A copy with a mint box went for $500 earlier this year. It's hard to keep a large box like this in mint condition for 16 years.

Completes with slight wear on the box and guide currently go for around $300. Major wear is only $50 less if you are lucky.

Consider that a complete Final Fantasy III sells for anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 this price, and that is a game which has been re-released in various formats several times.

Earthbound is definitely worth ~$80 cart only just for the play-through. If you aren't a collector, there is no need to buy a complete copy, so save your money and just buy it loose, or with the guide.

[quote name='Zing']It's not an outrageous price, considering it is a game that will never be re-released in any form, comes with a full guide, and a large box.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I just don't have the collector mentality anymore so when it comes to my wallet $350 for Earthbound is defiantly outrageous. Considering I played and beat the game for the first time last year for free. I know it's taboo, but Nintendo doesn't give me any other options and I'm not about to fork over $80 for this game, I don't care how good it is. Beside it's not like the money is going to the developers or anything.

Makes me wish I had bought the pallet of these things when Walmart had tons of them. I can still remember always seeing these high up on a shelf back when they still had the 'electronics center' model for stores. They would have tons of green price stickers on them due to so many price drops and I'm pretty sure I only paid $10-20 for mine brand new back then. I can still remember the smell from the stickers too, kind of musky. Such a great RPG; probably played through it 4-5 times.

I wish I had tucked mine away for longer. I remember selling my complete copy with pristine box and guide for $150 or so about 8 years ago.

bread's done
Back