Earthbound Out Now on the Wii U Virtual Console

Absolutely not, the universe of Wii U owners is miniscule at best, and the supply of physical copies of the original is limited. This will have zero effect on second market value, and if anything might cause an increase.
Wat? Uh...no....when the physical copy of the game costs half the price as the console you're going to see demand for said physical copy dry up until the price is lower and it doesn't make more sense to just buy a Wii U.

Picked this up. It sucks that the announcement of Earthbound for Wii U was given a lot of fanfare and the release had nothing.

I'm looking forward to a legit playthrough since I was going to do one via emulator just before it was announced for Wii U VC.

Wat? Uh...no....when the physical copy of the game costs half the price as the console you're going to see demand for said physical copy dry up until the price is lower and it doesn't make more sense to just buy a Wii U.
You don't understand what it is that drives the price. The price of Earthbound isn't high because people want to play it, the price is high because fans and collectors want it, and supply doesn't meet demand. If it was all about people wanting to play the game, you could have done so on an emulator for years and years now.

Way too late and on the wrong console, otherwise I'd have purchased it.  Earthbound not being on the Virtual Console is the main reason I modded my Wii a few years ago.

Out of curiosity, has anyone confirmed whether the original soundtrack is in the Wii U-emulated version?

You don't understand what it is that drives the price. The price of Earthbound isn't high because people want to play it, the price is high because fans and collectors want it, and supply doesn't meet demand. If it was all about people wanting to play the game, you could have done so on an emulator for years and years now.
I fully understand what drives the price and that's why I'm telling you that the price will fall. People are simply going to buy a Wii U and Earthbound there. Some people will still want to collect it but given the choice of spending nearly $200 on a cartridge or $360 for a console + the same exact game, lots of people will just buy the console plus game. What I'm saying is that demand will soften on the cartridge. It's not going to hit $20 or anything but it could easily fall 50%. If you have the cartridge and you're holding it in hopes of further appreciation and you're telling me and everyone else that it will remain the same value or even go up because you own it and want that to be true...then I'd say sell. If you're holding your cart and don't care if it becomes completely valueless because you simply want to collect it then keep it. I sold mine a good 5 or 6 years ago and don't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fully understand what drives the price and that's why I'm telling you that the price will fall. People are simply going to buy a Wii U and Earthbound there. Some people will still want to collect it but given the choice of spending nearly $200 on a cartridge or $360 for a console + the same exact game, lots of people will just buy the console plus game. What I'm saying is that demand will soften on the cartridge. It's not going to hit $20 or anything but it could easily fall 50%. If you have the cartridge and you're holding it in hopes of further appreciation and you're telling me and everyone else that it will remain the same value or even go up because you own it and want that to be true...then I'd say sell. If you're holding your cart and don't care if it becomes completely valueless because you simply want to collect it then keep it. I sold mine a good 5 or 6 years ago and don't regret it.
The people who are spending $200 on a cartridge are doing so to have that cartridge, it has nothing to do with availability of the game itself. Unless you start printing up new copies of the original SNES Earthbound and flood the market with them, there is no way this will affect the value. Joe Gamer who wants to play Earthbound because he's heard so much about it is not the person paying $200 for the cartridge. MasterBelch2782 who is obsessed with the game and wants to own the original cart isn't going to care that he can just download it on the Wii U, it's not the same as owning the physical cartridge, he will pay $200 to own it.

Your theory is flawed because you are assuming that the price is being driven by the game itself, which it is not. The price is driven by the intrinsic value and perceived status one receives from owning the actual cart.

The people who are spending $200 on a cartridge are doing so to have that cartridge, it has nothing to do with availability of the game itself. Unless you start printing up new copies of the original SNES Earthbound and flood the market with them, there is no way this will affect the value. Joe Gamer who wants to play Earthbound because he's heard so much about it is not the person paying $200 for the cartridge. MasterBelch2782 who is obsessed with the game and wants to own the original cart isn't going to care that he can just download it on the Wii U, it's not the same as owning the physical cartridge, he will pay $200 to own it.

Your theory is flawed because you are assuming that the price is being driven by the game itself, which it is not. The price is driven by the intrinsic value and perceived status one receives from owning the actual cart.
We shall see. All we have to do is wait and watch to see if the price drops over the next 4-6 weeks on eBay. Of course if you guys are wrong I'd expect you'll read my posts about my being correct then not reply since that's the way some people are (prideful).

Basically, you're assuming that every single person buying those carts are collectors and wouldn't be satisfied for a digital copy to play. I'm saying that's not right, there's no way in hell 100% of the people buying those are collectors that will not settle for a cheaper digital copy. The fact that some people would accept/settle for a digital copy will result in less demand and lower prices. There's even a chance that once the price starts to lower that everyone dumps their carts onto eBay all at once which would flood the market with supply and create a temporary over-correction.

We shall see. All we have to do is wait and watch to see if the price drops over the next 4-6 weeks on eBay. Of course if you guys are wrong I'd expect you'll read my posts about my being correct then not reply since that's the way some people are (prideful).

Basically, you're assuming that every single person buying those carts are collectors and wouldn't be satisfied for a digital copy to play. I'm saying that's not right, there's no way in hell 100% of the people buying those are collectors that will not settle for a cheaper digital copy. The fact that some people would accept/settle for a digital copy will result in less demand and lower prices. There's even a chance that once the price starts to lower that everyone dumps their carts onto eBay all at once which would flood the market with supply and create a temporary over-correction.
There ain't no way in hell average joe gamer is paying $200 for an 18 year old game just to play it. At that price point 100% of the people buying it are collectors that will not settle for a digital copy.

Hey guys, one of the most elusive and infamous SNES games has been re-released today. Can't we all just be happy and excited because of this joyous event?

I'm glad it's finally here, I just wish it was on a system people actually owned. Why didn't they put this on 3DS as well?
Yes why is Nintendo releasing old software for new consoles! Put it out existing, popular consoles like the SNES!

Very nice.

Glad Nintendo released this earlier than expected and as usual they were able to keep it a secret and make it a special surprise.

I had no idea they were having a Nintendo Direct today and the Earthbound release announcement was fantastic news.

You gotta hand it to Nintendo, they know how to keep news under wraps and surprise their fans on a whim. 

Started playing this today. I've beaten Frank and gotten the key to the entertainer's shack to go through that dungeon. I'm still not a fan of how hard that game can be early on with some grinding required to get past the Sharks that hang out outside the arcade before you can even think about taking on Frank, so I wasted some time beating up animals for small bits of XP until I was good enough to beat Frank and his tank. I'm not looking forward to the mushrooms and such that I know happens after I'm done with Onett. It's still a great game, but the early parts are still rough.

The save states will certainly make some parts of the game a bit easier to get through.

Picked this up today and I'm enjoying it. Really glad the players guide was included and I plan on using that during my playthrough as I've never been able to play this before now.

I did the first "Don't Know" for every thing during the setup, which I imagine is correct, right? Not that it really matters, but Ness is Ness and he likes "Steak" and "Rockin", right?

Started playing this today. I've beaten Frank and gotten the key to the entertainer's shack to go through that dungeon. I'm still not a fan of how hard that game can be early on with some grinding required to get past the Sharks that hang out outside the arcade before you can even think about taking on Frank, so I wasted some time beating up animals for small bits of XP until I was good enough to beat Frank and his tank. I'm not looking forward to the mushrooms and such that I know happens after I'm done with Onett. It's still a great game, but the early parts are still rough.

The save states will certainly make some parts of the game a bit easier to get through.
I remember grinding a little bit my first time I ever played Earthbound (when it launched)..but in my many playthroughs since then, I don't think I ever had to grind to beat Frank. I just got to and saved at this spot. My level is 6, do you remember what level you are at when you started that fight? All I did was bash and PSI heal. I assume you bought the new bat at the drugstore when you got to Onett? (tip for anyone playing this the first time..ALWAYS check stores first when you get to a new town and upgrade equipment).

I remember grinding a little bit my first time I ever played Earthbound (when it launched)..but in my many playthroughs since then, I don't think I ever had to grind to beat Frank. I just got to and saved at this spot. My level is 6, do you remember what level you are at when you started that fight? All I did was bash and PSI heal. I assume you bought the new bat at the drugstore when you got to Onett? (tip for anyone playing this the first time..ALWAYS check stores first when you get to a new town and upgrade equipment).
I was probably level 3 when approaching the sharks outside the arcade and level 5 when taking on Frank.

this is one of those games that got a cult following years after it was out. I had this game as a kid and was not a well talked about game then and never really was a giant fanbut played it now and then.

I remember EB having some parts that were harder due to some infrequent enemies/boss attacks that were a bit on the cheap side. With that said, I'm definitely glad I used a guide to play the game.

I wish Nintendo would release SNES games on the 3DS. I would buy a 3DS and this game so fast...

I remember EB having some parts that were harder due to some infrequent enemies/boss attacks that were a bit on the cheap side. With that said, I'm definitely glad I used a guide to play the game.

I wish Nintendo would release SNES games on the 3DS. I would buy a 3DS and this game so fast...
You and me both.

So what'd they do with the music in this?  I might google more on this topic to find out, but if others want to share, please do!  I saw articles in the spring saying that the music licensing wasn't an issue at all in the VC release -- which only made me wonder what the hell the holdup was, then.

Regarding the previous musings and prognostications  regarding the Earthbound Cart price, at least initially there has been no change in prices on eBay, with recent completed listings still in the $200 range.

I am curious if it holds after another month.

The only thing I can think of that will affect the pricing of physical copies of Earthbound is that the supply of carts on eBay may increase slightly.  It's safe to say there is more demand for the carts then there are ones available, but the digital version may nudge a portion of collectors to turn a quick profit and still be able to play the game.  This slightly extra stock may temporarily dip the price by a small margin, but honestly I don't see the cart's value dropping consistently any time soon.

Regarding the previous musings and prognostications regarding the Earthbound Cart price, at least initially there has been no change in prices on eBay, with recent completed listings still in the $200 range.

I am curious if it holds after another month.
I still think it will go down. It will take some time. I'm certainly not basing it on recent auctions. We need to wait another week or so because people could have bid before the VC game came out or before they knew it was out there. If its still going for a lot after a month I will concede I was wrong.

Greatest... Freaking... Game... Ever!

Download it and remember to stock up on supples and call your mother. She misses you.

bread's done
Back