Earthbound - Snes

joebomb77

CAGiversary!
So I'm feeling pretty damned nostalgic. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in High School, I was working my first job and saved for that big ass box. Earthbound for the Snes definitely changed the way I played and thought about games. Since Earthbound, I look for games that make me feel like part of a story, part of something larger. It took forever to complete even with the strategy guide, and would have been impossible for me without it. I was so drawn in, so encompassed, and I hope for that feeling still, every time I crack open a new game.

Anyone else remember the game as fondly as I do?

Remember any other old school games this fondly?

I don't remember that fondly because I only played it earlier this year.

It was an awesome game though. I definitely enjoyed it. Really sucks that Nintendo decided to neglect the series in the US though.

I remember renting it at Blockbuster when I was younger.. it came with the instruction book.

I'd gladly pay $100 for the large box. I have the game. I just need the box and strat guide.

Another game that made me feel similar was Illusion of Gaia. I got hooked on that game. Same with Final Fantasy 2 (IV). Those three.. I could play those three for the rest of my life and be content. Especially Final Fantasy 2. I've played through it three or four times now, and i'm about to play through it again.

I found Earthbound with the Game Manual in the original box on ebay, and the bid was up to $116.00!! Man, I sold mine on ebay YEARS ago, and I know it was for nowhere near that much, lol, DAMN!

im sure it not a surprise coming from me but by far the greatest game of all time. Endlessly replayable. BRING MOTHER 3 TO AMERICA!!

[quote name='joebomb77']I found Earthbound with the Game Manual in the original box on ebay, and the bid was up to $116.00!! Man, I sold mine on ebay YEARS ago, and I know it was for nowhere near that much, lol, DAMN![/QUOTE]
Jesus they've gone up in price. I bought a mint big box version complete with strategy guide for three dollars at a Park n Swap five years ago.

In 2004, I got a cart only copy for $4 at a place that wanted $15 for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and $20 for Super Mario RPG. And earlier this year, I found the strategy guide that was bundled with the game at a Goodwill for 49 cents.

Two of my best finds ever. :D

Have two copies, 1 complete that I got when it was new, 1 at a pawn earlier this year for $3.

I think the defining games for me were Pac-Man (5200), Super Mario Bros. (NES), Dragon Warrior (NES), and Street Fighter 2 (SNES). Pac-Man was the game that got me into vgs. Super Mario Bros brought games to the next level for me, showing the gameplay depth. Dragon Warrior was a throwaway game I found at the JCP wherehouse (Manchester CT) when I was a kid that showed a game can have a story and plot, with some personality in the villan. Street Fighter 2 was the first fast paced game I played, and a experience not capable on any game before it. These games dont crack my top favorite lists, but really brought a novel experience that I may never have again playing a video game.

Earthbound leaves me alot of bitter memories. First off I was horribly selfish as a kid and Earthbound was when I hit one of my lowest lows. My parents never really disciplined me as a kid and while they didnt buy me much at Christmas they let me act like a little prick. The year Earthbound came out it was one of my top items if not the top item.....yet I did not receive it Christmas mourning. I raised bloody hell letting my parents know I was pissed off I did not get the game and when my mom said she could not find it I called bull shit and raised even more hell. I went on for long enough that my parents actually took me to meijers before going to my aunts for Christmas with the rest of the family and bought me the game.....which in the end I did not even end up really liking very much.

I am a different person now....but I still look back on that Christmas and feel ashamed. I cant think of Earthbound without thinking of the event.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Name your favor food "pussy".

Always good for a laugh.[/QUOTE]

untitled-1.jpg

[quote name='magiic']I'd love to see Earthbound on the VC. I'd drop 800 points on that.[/QUOTE]
I'd easily drop 800-1000 on it, however not much more than that.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Earthbound leaves me alot of bitter memories. First off I was horribly selfish as a kid and Earthbound was when I hit one of my lowest lows. My parents never really disciplined me as a kid and while they didnt buy me much at Christmas they let me act like a little prick. The year Earthbound came out it was one of my top items if not the top item.....yet I did not receive it Christmas mourning. I raised bloody hell letting my parents know I was pissed off I did not get the game and when my mom said she could not find it I called bull shit and raised even more hell. I went on for long enough that my parents actually took me to meijers before going to my aunts for Christmas with the rest of the family and bought me the game.....which in the end I did not even end up really liking very much.

I am a different person now....but I still look back on that Christmas and feel ashamed. I cant think of Earthbound without thinking of the event.[/QUOTE]
A mistake is worth making if you learn from it, my friend. Besides, as a kid, you're allowed to be an unholy terror once in a while. I was raised with very little discipline, too. Henry Rollins and taekwondo (not at the same time) turned me around.

[quote name='ViolentLee']A mistake is worth making if you learn from it, my friend. Besides, as a kid, you're allowed to be an unholy terror once in a while. I was raised with very little discipline, too. Henry Rollins and taekwondo (not at the same time) turned me around.[/QUOTE]

Ya I know, I learned from my mistakes and am a different man. Could have ended up like my brother who is still as bad as he was at that age so I am very lucky. Does not mean I wont always look back on it with regret though.

Thanks for the kind words btw. And hehe Henry Rollins. Scariest man alive....yet he has such a gentle soul.

I sold a brand new never used (Earthbound did not come sealed) a couple years ago. Couldn't figure why I had it. No worries, I had another copy.

I spent every single penny of my birthday money when I was 11 for Earthbound.

I have never regretted it for a second.

Now I wish they would either finally release it for the gba or better remake it for the DS (they could just use the Pokemon pearl engine).

[quote name='rscaramelo']SNES came out during the period when I wasn't gaming much so I never played Earthbound. Why is it so valuable?

RC[/QUOTE]

Most SNES RPGs are worth atleast $30 but many go for well over $50...and if complete $80-$150. They are older harder to find games with a name for being good so its to be expected.

As for Earthbound alot of people regard it as classic so it does up its status. There is also the fact that there was a special boxed edition that came in a giant cool cardboard box with the guide included and I think an extra or two like smell stickers.

I really honestly believe many SNES RPGs are worth the prices they go for.. luckily many of them have been rereleased on the PS1 or GBA.. (like many square-enix games) but the ones that havent.. like Earthbound (which to my knowledge, is one of the priciest official release SNES games there is that is worth playing) I've only played it for about 5 minutes when it first came out at a demo booth at like a Media Play or something.. I regret not picking it up then...

I paid $45 for a slightly banged up Earthbound guide. It's hard to justify that cost to a non-fan, but I absolutely love that game. My friend generously gave me an Earthbound cartridge for my birthday, saving me that $50+ expense.

Besides being a rare classic, Earthbound is also the only RPG of its kind.

My question is this: What's so special about the guide? Is it that necessary gameplay-wise, or just from a completest/collector point of view? Obviously, the cart would be lonely in that big box without the guide, but otherwise, is it superfluous?

Why did I buy the guide? Well I remember reading it as a kid while my neighbor and I beat the game together. Smelling those hideous scratch 'n sniff cards was great for nostalgia's sake.

It just adds to the overall experience, with all the pretty pictures and fake newspaper articles. Not that it's necessary to beat the game or anything.

It strikes me kinda funny how so many SNES/PS1 RPG guides go for $50-100 on eBay and Half.com. Must be people like me (only with more money!)

The only guide I remember buying back then is Xenogears, which is still fetching about $30 on eBay.

I remember reading other guides at lunch when I worked at Funcoland. It was about 40% as much fun as actually playing the games, which isn't bad.

this is the ultimate "I love video games" game. I used to love eating pizza, drinking soda and not doing my homework cause I was playing this game. Those were the days. TMNT soundtrack playing too. *sigh

[quote name='sparklecopy']this is the ultimate "I love video games" game. I used to love eating pizza, drinking soda and not doing my homework cause I was playing this game. Those were the days. TMNT soundtrack playing too. *sigh[/QUOTE]
If you *really* loved it, you wouldn't have been listening to other music while playing the game, you monster! EarthBound has one of the most unique, creative, and awesome soundtracks ever.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If you *really* loved it, you wouldn't have been listening to other music while playing the game, you monster! EarthBound has one of the most unique, creative, and awesome soundtracks ever.[/QUOTE]
This reminds me of when I was a kid, playing Zelda: Link to the Past on SNES for hours, listening to Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head."

tried playing this....

guess I had to be there when it came out.

[quote name='Apossum']tried playing this....

guess I had to be there when it came out.[/QUOTE]
You're not allowed to sit at the cool kids' table.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']You're not allowed to sit at the cool kids' table.[/QUOTE]

dunno about that...

i just think nostalgia's a hell of a drug :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']tried playing this....

guess I had to be there when it came out.[/quote]

Nah, I can understand why people wouldn't like it. Besides, the undying love Earthbound fans have for the game is a bit annoying :D

Wasn't there a Mr. T lookalike in the game? It's the little things like that.

[quote name='Serik']Nah, I can understand why people wouldn't like it. Besides, the undying love Earthbound fans have for the game is a bit annoying :D

Wasn't there a Mr. T lookalike in the game? It's the little things like that.[/QUOTE]

the humor and setting were pretty charming, but archaic RPG battle systems are the anti-thesis of fun for me these days, unless it's something FF1:Anniversary where the game's difficulty is turned down.

I dunno. I played Earthbound for the first time 2 years ago. At first I didn't like it much but eventually It grew on me. When I played it again a couple months ago I really enjoyed it. I can see why it has such a fan base. BTW I spent 4 hours getting the Sword of Kings what a huge pain

SNES era is way before my time, but Earthbound has always been the only game that I wanted on that ssytem. Too bad it's pretty expensive, hard to find, and unaccessable (for me).

Lol I have both my Earthbound game and SNES sitting right next to me now. I bought it from Video Game Exchange way back in the day (FuncoLand pre buyout) for about $10. Loved that game, but can't see why its $50 for the cartridge alone on ebay. It was good, but is the nostalgea really worth that much? Personally, I enjoyed Disgaea/Disgaea 2 more but thats a totally different game (With similar humor).

Just my 2 cents.

bread's done
Back