EA's Skate coming to Wii - Will Use Balance Board!

I've noticed a pattern.

Whenever IGN talks about some "super secret big title project from a developer you know about," it's an EA title. In fact, it's an EA title that is a spin-off something EA has already released on other consoles.

You could almost, almost say every one of these games is a racer, but the formula doesn't quite hold up here.

[quote name='Strell']I've noticed a pattern.

Whenever IGN talks about some "super secret big title project from a developer you know about," it's an EA title. In fact, it's an EA title that is a spin-off something EA has already released on other consoles.

You could almost, almost say every one of these games is a racer, but the formula doesn't quite hold up here.[/QUOTE]

there's skateboard racing in the game, so it does hold up.

One can infer from the interview that the Wii version will NOT have online play while the DS version will. My mind continues to be boggled.

Hmm I hate EA's guts to death, but this does sound pretty awesome if they get it right. Still $140 for a balance board and skate doesn't thrill me much but if it is that awesome, I am in.

Nice. Well, sorta nice. 50% is the idea, now if the other 50% (THE CONTROL) works well..then we have a great game ^_^

Though, I really hope you don't gotta do your own tricks on the board, :lol:, I'll feel like suck a fool jumpin on the board.

In my head, they'll just translate the controls to the Wii board from the dual analogs i.e. a quick forward back lean to jump, where the direction is detected and effects the trick you have attempted. If theres any game that could prove the Balance Board to be a worthy peripheral, it would be this.

I watched the first 70% of the trailer and saw nothing but Wiimote actions. Did they show any balance board stuff?

Isn't this the same control scheme everyone complained to their mama about with SSX Blur, which relies on hand motions and such?

If that's the case, expect the game to get low reviews and be generally hated upon across the board. I'm not saying that makes the game good/diamond in the rough situation, I'm just saying everyone will not like it.

I'll wait to see if the game does anything useful or not with the board before I look into it further.

Yup, EA Montreal also did SSX Blur. Though, I personally thought the controls in Blur were great. Carving with the nunchuk and slightly adjusting with the analog stick felt very natural. With practice, I had no issues pulling off the ubers and though they were really fun. The game just needed more polish in terms of presentation, multiplayer, and online options.

Are third party devlopers allowed to create games JUST for the balance board? No remote play at all..a game entirely played with the balance board?

Man, the control in SSX Blur was fantastic and natural. If the remote/nunchuk support simply adopts the same control scheme, I'll be happy at $30 because I've been wanting to try this game. If the balance board control is accurate, I'll happily pony up $50 (or at least the CAG equivalent of $50).

Granted, I do not have the innate hatred of EA, IGN, ports, racers or lack of online options that many of you have. I like fun things. Who gives a shit if it's been done before on another console?

[quote name='lilboo']Are third party devlopers allowed to create games JUST for the balance board? No remote play at all..a game entirely played with the balance board?[/QUOTE]Probably, but why limit your buying audience that way?

--R.J.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']another teaser... nothing new other than the ability to customize spots.
[/quote]
I'm getting really excited for this. I used to love the Tony Hawk series and ended up getting bored with it after so many sequels, so now I'm curious to see how this plays.

If more games come out that support the Wii balance board (or if this game uses it well) I'll have to pick one up.

Wii Fit isn't enough for me to justify the purchase price.

Oh, it's gonna be hilarious when people try to push off on their balance boards and launch it in to their hd tvs. lool

Wii have a problem... AGAIN.

Vip, I'm kinda scared that's true mostly for people who actually skate. I know it's going to feel weird turning on the balance board but having to ollie with my hands...

bread's done
Back