EB B&M not letting me exchange game bought online

SeanAmI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
My local EB games is not letting me exchange some defective game that I bought online. They made up some BS about it being a new store policy since last week. I called the customer service line, but they brushed me off and basically told me to go to another store. Is there anything I can do?

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']My local EB games is not letting me exchange some defective game that I bought online. They made up some BS about it being a new store policy since last week. I called the customer service line, but they brushed me off and basically told me to go to another store. Is there anything I can do?[/QUOTE]

Yes go back to that store, with the packing slip. Show the man/woman at the store the part on the back that says they will take it back and give you original payment method refund. (not sure of exact quote I don't have one lying around but I know it says something like that.) Let them know that if you do not receive your refund right now you will be reporting them to your Credit Card company (assuming that's your method of payment online) and to the Better Business Bureau. Also let them know that you know they can not just spring up a policy like that with no notice when it clearly is against what you receipt says. Make them aware that if needed you will file a lawsuit for your money.
Also in cases like this (few and far between) I find it very persuasive to take all of the information about the person you talk to in store down and make sure he knows you'll be making him part of the complaint and/or lawsuit. Sometimes that alone makes them a little easier to deal with.

just go to another store... i mean honestly is it worth all the hassle of doing all that... I work in retail and if someone pulled some shiat like that on me i would tell em to go somewhere

[quote name='icemanjmw13']Yes go back to that store, with the packing slip. Show the man/woman at the store the part on the back that says they will take it back and give you original payment method refund. (not sure of exact quote I don't have one lying around but I know it says something like that.) Let them know that if you do not receive your refund right now you will be reporting them to your Credit Card company (assuming that's your method of payment online) and to the Better Business Bureau. Also let them know that you know they can not just spring up a policy like that with no notice when it clearly is against what you receipt says. Make them aware that if needed you will file a lawsuit for your money.
Also in cases like this (few and far between) I find it very persuasive to take all of the information about the person you talk to in store down and make sure he knows you'll be making him part of the complaint and/or lawsuit. Sometimes that alone makes them a little easier to deal with.[/QUOTE]
In addition to doing that, report them to their superiors. I'm not sure how the EB franchises work, but I'd assume that there's somebody at the regional or national level that keeps all of the stores on the same track. That could be more effective than threatening a lawsuit or anything like that.

Its just a pain in the ass to goto another store since the next closest one is at least 45 minutes away in good traffic.

Well, I know if it's defective and you take it to the store, they'll give you another copy of the game first. If they don't have any, they should be able to give you a refund for it(since you didn't, report it to the district manager). You could've told them to call the customer service number to confirm the policy too.

Call and talk to the Manager before going in. If he says that he wont give you another item or refund, ask for the name and number of the district manager. Call the district manager, explain the situation, and ask why the store manager is going against corporate policies. Be polite and you will get your way in no time.

The funny part is that when I called customer service, they actually tried to talk to the store and contact the manager of the store, but they could not find his number

[quote name='hotwls13']Don't forget to kick over the magazine/guide rack on your way out. :)[/QUOTE]

I tried kicking over the rack and the magazines fell on top of me. I was trapped under a pile of Official Xbox Magazines for 3 days before someone rescued me.

Get the employee's name, just in case. If you can, call your credit card company from INSIDE THE STORE, explain that the store refuses the return - in clear violation of its policy, which you have in writing - and ask them to issue a refund. You shouldn't have any problems.

Even if it seems like a hassle it's worth it since you'll turn into the kind of person that doesn't let people get away with stuff they shouldn't.

[quote name='eldad9']Get the employee's name, just in case. If you can, call your credit card company from INSIDE THE STORE, explain that the store refuses the return - in clear violation of its policy, which you have in writing - and ask them to issue a refund. You shouldn't have any problems.

Even if it seems like a hassle it's worth it since you'll turn into the kind of person that doesn't let people get away with stuff they shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

i wholeheartedly agree! don't let them get away with bad customer service.

[quote name='imamario02']just go to another store... i mean honestly is it worth all the hassle of doing all that... I work in retail and if someone pulled some shiat like that on me i would tell em to go somewhere[/QUOTE]

First, yes it is worth it. You have to make a point to these stores and stand up for your rights.

Second, if you worked in retail and pulled this same thing and then told me to go elsewhere when I got upset I would. I would go right to your superior and have you out on the street the next day. Trust me, I've had it done to people before (at Gamestop no less).

I just went back later when someone more reasonable was there, I explained my situation, showed him the recepit and he called corporate to confirm and he gladly exchanged my game. Apparently, the store manager told all the employees to stop accepting online exchanges.

Most of the time, even if you report it to the District Manager, nothing will happen. And I usually find that if you're polite the entire time, it works better than calling the credit card company in the store. The last time someone did that to me, I didn't try really hard to help them after that. Usually if you're very nice and just calmly show them the policy on the back of the packing slip and say that you dont' want to be stuck with a defective game and that the nearest EB is 45 minutes away, they'll be cool with you.

The meaner a customer is to me, the less help and sympathy they get from me. If a customer is really nice and cool to me, I'll make small exceptions like let them return an unopened game like 18 days after it's been bought or something or I'll actually take the time to look through every single transaction that occurred on the day they bought the game if they lost the receipt. To rude customers or pushy customers, I'm just like "too bad", lol.

bread's done
Back