EB games edge/more card... is it worth it for me to renew??

SaraAB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hello,

I was wondering if you think the edge card is a good value and if i should renew my card since it has expired now. For those that dont know the card now costs 14.99 instead of 5$.

Point #1 : I do not want the magazine subscription at all.

Point #2 : I bought 6 used DS games last year. I will not buy used gba since they do not come with box and manual 99% of the time and the high risk of getting a counterfiet (yes i know how to check for fakes, but i dont want the hassle of having to return and give the, your selling illegal merchandise speech).. I think i bought like 1 used gcn game last year and generally i like to avoid buying disc games due to heavy scratching. I dont own a xbox, xbox360 or ps2, no plans of buying either or a wii anytime soon.

Point #3 : Ebgames/gamestop no longer carrying older games (older than ps2/xbox/gcn), so that leaves less for me to buy.

Point #4, i hardly ever trade in games, if ever, only during the 3 for 10 deals if i can find enough trade fodder that i will profit enough from.

Point #5, The used price vs new at ebgames is usually about 2-5$ (before the edge card) if that much for me.

Point #6, Used DS games dont seem to be coming with manual and original case and inserts much around here nowdays, i will accept no less.

I am just wondering if based on the buying habits of mine listed above, if someone could tell me if they think i should shell out the 14.99 for an edge card renewal or if its a waste of my money. I would want to be able to break even on the card at least in discounts, which means i would have to spend 150$ in used games in a year, seems like it would take me an awful long time to make it back and that i would be forced to buy higher priced used games than what i can find online or in another store (for example ebgames jacking up the price of nearly every DS new release to 34.99 when the same game can be found for 29.99 at the store down the street.).

you buy 8 games at $20 in a year you have made up your cost. If you will buy 8 or more than do it (assuming it is $15, im not sure of the cost now). Obviously if you are buying $25 or $30 used games you would need less than 8.

Just share the edge/more card between friends (that should lower the price quite a bit; at least that's what I do). For instance, before the merger I always had the EB card, and my other two friends had the GS card and the VIP card for GC and we just borrowed whatever card whenever we needed it. Just be careful not to spend each others credit!:bomb: So keep a tab.

Thats a good idea but i have no one to share the card with, i am the only video game buying person in my whole family and i dont have any friends to share the card with. I usually buy used games priced at either 17.99 or lower, most expensive used game i am buying is probably 24.99. If i am buying a used game for more than 24.99 id better have a very good reason for doing it because most of the time it can be found elsewhere for the same price new.

Just wait, there is absolutely no reason to renew your card once it expires. You should only renew once you're actually going to use. For example, if you renew now and dont buy another item until a month from now, you waste a month when you could have just renewed when you bought something.

Especially in your case, I wouldn't do it unless there was a special coupon in the game informer. Sometimes there is a buy2get1 coupon. So if you're buying two games that are $15 or more anyways, you might as well get the card.

[quote name='BrandonOne']Don't do it. And don't buy from GameStop/EB in the future.[/QUOTE]

You're easily the worst addition to CAG in the last few months.

Honestly, while I can't vouch for your local store, the FYE card is a MUCH better deal. You get 10% off everything you buy brand new, and I think like 15% on used.

Sorry but in my area we only have one choice for used games which is ebgames and gamestop, while i prefer not to shop there as much as possible sometimes i have to in order to get a rare game that i want (its much better than finding out a game you want has just skyrocketed in value on ebay!).

I dont like these cards because they kinda force you to shop at one store in order to get your money's worth out of the card. I also do not like the way they sell counterfiet games (which are ILLEGAL to sell in the usa no matter how you look at it), i have also heard a rumor about some gamestop's and ebgames trucking in counterfiet dvd's and nintendogs games and selling them in the stores. Yes i know how to check for fakes and can spot a fake like a pro but its not something i should even have to worry about dealing with when paying the prices they ask for used games.

FYE here has a bad selection of used games and there isnt a store immediatly local to me, otherwise i might look into that.

I would not renew unless i was going to make a purchase on a used game, if there was a buy 2 get one free and a bunch of good games on the shelf then i might as well renew....

It's not like EB or GS employees sell the counterfiet games on purpose. Actually, most employees don't even know about counterfiet games. At my store, I was the one who had to tell everyone how to spot counterfiet GBA games and how to spot label swaps on DS games.

We sent back all counterfiet GBA games and we can spot them now, so we don't have any in our store.

Yes, i know its not done on purpose most of the time, but the article i read on kotaku suggested that a certain ebgames store was doing it on purpose, and knowingly selling the counterfeit games and shipment of dvd's that was trucked in, and a large amount of them too.

The problem is not any single store or the employees of the store for the most part, the problem is that the corporation does not have a policy on the trading in of Illegal/fake/counterfiet games and does not teach their employees how to check for them, they really dont care. Even if an employee knows what a fake is they will probably take it for trade in because it adds to the bottom line and the trade-in numbers and 95% of the time the customer will not know its a fake, and may never know. This is a very dishonest business practice for the corporation no matter how you look at it.

I just feel sorry for the customer who doesnt know about counterfiets and buys their kid a christmas gift of a used game, only to find out it doesnt work on christmas morning or that after playing 10-20 hours through the game it suddenly stops saving. Not everyone has the time to read up on counterfeit games especially during the busy holiday season so i think gamestop should have just a small bit of decency toward their customers in providing them with a legit product, whether it be used or new. It only takes a few seconds to spot a label swap or a gba game that does not have the proper printing on the edge connector, so its not like it would cut into the time it takes to process trade-in's.

Sadly if you send back the counterfiets they are probably just redistributed to other stores that dont know or sent to the place where the online orders are fulfilled for use in the gamestop online store. Many people have recieved products through the online store marked defective, and many people have received bootleg games through the online store. Its nice that you dont have any in your store though!

Now if this was an underground import store i would not take such offense to the selling of counterfeit games, but this is gamestop, the company that flaunts itself constantly as the usa's largest retailer of used and new videogames.

bread's done
Back