EB Games officially no more, changes name to Gamestop.

[quote name='Logain8955']
I know it's not gonna change anything, and that we've operated exactly like GS since the merge, but for nostalgia, it sucks.[/QUOTE]

You're telling me. From 01-05, that place was almost a hangout for me and my friends. Fall of 06 I worked as a temp for a couple of months. Tons of memory at my local EB. Not to mention all the memories of the orginal EBgames.com, which helped make CAG what it is today.

[quote name='Judhudson']Shoot, our stores in the mall is still called Software Etc. We have both that and EB Games. I think they are too lazy to change the sign, it's been named Software Etc. for years...[/QUOTE]

Its not changed on purpose. It gives the normal folk an impression that they have a 'choice' when they really don't.

[quote name='JDUB X']I remember when EB was a seperate store and was much better than Gamestop.

Now Even the Website is just Gamestop with EB at the top.

Oh well. In my opinion, As long as we have Best Buy were okay.[/quote]
*Sniff* Yeah... I remember that too. *Sigh* The Iraq war was only two years old, the Democrats in the Senate were threatening filibuster over Bush's judicial nominations, Peter Jennings announced his illness...

Oh April 2005, where have you gone?

I have a Gamestop right above an EB Games and a Software Etc down 100 yards away in my mall. Not to mention 2 Fye's that sell used games. :p

EB was always so much better at my mall than the Babbages which turned into Gamestop. It WAS a hang out for me, I knew all the workers, managers, etc, most even transferred to ebs in the area, so I knew the whole crew at more than 3 EB's. The night when h2 came out, vice city, they'd always call me when they'd get rare games in and ask if I'd want em saved, hopefully they don't shut down the store near me, the guys are great, and I'd hate to see the douche bags at the old Gamestop keep their jobs, that store is notorious for the old "sell used games as new" trick.

So has anyone ever had a Planet X store near them? That was also EBGames. At our mall we had an Electronics Boutique and an EBX are they're still marked that way, but in other locations (most of them) they have changed to GameStop. For some reason I hate the name Gamestop and I also hate the gamestop logo.'

GameStop is everywhere in Hawaii. Some malls even have 2 of them. There is still a Software Etc. here though. Awesome store that doesn't seem anything like the horrible GameStops everywhere else.

I don't think that Software Etc. is changing its signage anytime soon. Why, they even slightly renovated the Software Etc. sign not too long ago.

Never been to an EB Games since they don't exist here.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']I remember when it was called Electronics Boutique ;_;

Prolly the consumers couldn't pronounce it and after maybe caving into politcal pressures during that French/Freedom-fries nonsense they dropped Boutiques part because it was French.[/QUOTE]

I remember when Gamestop was called Babbage's, as well as the existence of Software Etc.

BTW, was Babbage's a reference to Charles Babbage?

[quote name='gizmogc']Its not changed on purpose. It gives the normal folk an impression that they have a 'choice' when they really don't.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I really think there should be some sort of law against that... only in my dreams though. :wall:

[quote name='crystalklear64']What does this mean as far as us Edge card owners go...[/quote]The systems have been integrated for a year at this point, Edge won't stop working. They're just changing the branding.

isnt this old news? i thought when the merger was first announced gamestop said they would all become gamestop. but it takes time to switch them all because of leases and stuff, thats why there are still software etcs and funcolands around, im sure the same will go for eb.

[quote name='Flyersfan']I did the same exact thing TC.

The food court was right near the Arcade (which is now one of those fucking preppy cloth stores with the loud music blaring). I always got Arbys because it was the closest to the arcade, even though I like pizza more that was on the other side :)[/quote]

King of Prussia mall? Exton mall? Granite Run? Springfield?

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']King of Prussia mall? Exton mall? Granite Run? Springfield?[/QUOTE]
I wonder if King of Prussia will no longer have EB's nearly ontop of one another. Technically that mall has 4 gamestops now, since there is a eb and gamestop in the plaza section too. And if I recall correctly the arcade in KoP was where Hot Topic or Holister currently is.

It'll still be EBstop to me.

The reason it's taken this long is the signage. You realize how expensive one of those signs are, much less 500? I'm sure they had to see which stores were viable, as well as the 'different choices' standpoint.

Babbages, why have you forsaken us? I bought Double Draogn II for NES from you on opening weekend, and now you are but a vague memory to today's snot-nosed punk gamers.

[quote name='crystalklear64']What does this mean as far as us Edge card owners go...[/QUOTE]Since the current version of the Edge card already works at "both" stores, I assume it will continue to work fine.

Heh, I remember when the Roosevelt Field mall had three EB Games. For a while, one of them was an "EB Kids" store, but before long it just became a regular EB. Oh and technically one of the other ones was an "EBX."

We had an EBkids and an EBgames in the Walden Galleria mall and they were like... right across from each other, it was pretty weird. The EBkids closed though, a long time ago.

A lot of mall and shopping plaza's here have both stores very very close to each other, and in my city we have a gamestop and an ebgames within 5 min of each other. The gamestop is huge and has a nice selection of merchandise but the manager is "too nice" and very fake, he is an idiot to the extreme. Both stores hate me now because they know I am only there for the cheapest stuff and they know that I will not trade games back in that I buy there, in other words I am not welcome in the stores anymore because I am not an ideal customer to them. I only buy the cheapest games and I love to buy games right after they price drop, seems to tick them off even more. All the gamestops that I have been in lately seem to cater exclusively to the soccer mom crowd or the kids that trade in tons of stuff. The service in these stores has gone way downhill since gamestop has taken over, and thus I have moved most of my video game shopping and preordering to online retailers.

Drove by the Rhino I used to frequent prior to the buyout and they were hanging the new GS sign. Was kinda hoping they'd at least keep the name for a little while longer.

[quote name='TheUnsane1']I wonder if King of Prussia will no longer have EB's nearly ontop of one another. Technically that mall has 4 gamestops now, since there is a eb and gamestop in the plaza section too. And if I recall correctly the arcade in KoP was where Hot Topic or Holister currently is.[/quote]

They will probably keep them all considering this is the same mall that has like 5 Sunglass Hut's.

[quote name='daschrier']I remember going to Walden software ;)

Then software etc. They were way better than EB....[/quote]

Those were the days. I grew up on Waldensoftware and always went there for all my gaming needs before it got swallowed up by electronics boutique. I remember the store manager there always gave me good deals on used games. He figured as long as he was making a profit on the used games, that was better than them not selling at all.

Darn, I worked at one of the EB's that have been opened for awhile. We had a neon sign that said "Electronics Boutique" that was pretty old...hopefully they won't get rid of that cuz that's history right there!

Video game store history ;)

bread's done
Back