EB Games raising the prices of certain new releases by 5 dollars

Some good news. EBGames lowered Watch Dogs back to $59.99.
I thought that'd be all versions. Seems like PS4/XB1 is still $69.99.

I hate this. Word is Steam will be adjusting their store prices soon to reflect the exchange rate of the CAD. Sony, ofcourse, have Infamous going for $69.99 on the PS Store.

EDIT: The Source is selling PS4s for $449.99 lol. fuck this shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that'd be all versions. Seems like PS4/XB1 is still $69.99.

I hate this. Word is Steam will be adjusting their store prices soon to reflect the exchange rate of the CAD. Sony, ofcourse, have Infamous going for $69.99 on the PS Store.

EDIT: The Source is selling PS4s for $449.99 lol. fuck this shit.
Def. sucks to be a canadian gamer right now. But the Steam price changes are nothing. You can often get better prices at third-party steam key sellers. My worry is console games, especially Nintendo games since those are overpriced already.

As for that PS4 price hike, I don't see all retailers doing that. Sony has increased the price for the PS4 camera due to high demand and I wouldn't be surprised if retailers also increased the price of the PS4 until late April when Sony has said they will be more readily available.

Def. sucks to be a canadian gamer right now. But the Steam price changes are nothing. You can often get better prices at third-party steam key sellers. My worry is console games, especially Nintendo games since those are overpriced already.

As for that PS4 price hike, I don't see all retailers doing that. Sony has increased the price for the PS4 camera due to high demand and I wouldn't be surprised if retailers also increased the price of the PS4 until late April when Sony has said they will be more readily available.
How are Nintendo games "overpriced"? They go for the normal $39.99 like other handheld games have been in the past.

The console increase sort of destroys my chances of picking up a PS4 before some sort of amazing holiday-sale.

Alas, I will live with my new gaming PC+handhelds (and decaying Wii U corpse) until there are price decreases / sales. A shame most new 3DS games will have to wait out, as there are so many coming out. But paying $44.99 for a borderline sort-of-want game like Yoshi's New Island is out of the question.

I hope people do end up speaking with their wallet, and let retailers know that a $5/10 price increase isn't worth the amount they'll lose in overall sales.

I hope people do end up speaking with their wallet, and let retailers know that a $5/10 price increase isn't worth the amount they'll lose in overall sales.
But, it is. They have to charge more for it to be worthwhile, they have to give the distributors their cut. That cut is in USD, and is the lions share of the cost. They're businesses, not charities, so if the margins are too slim they only have 2 options:

1) Increase prices

2) Discontinue carrying games

I'd much rather have 1 than 2. If there are noticeable sales drops there's nothing stopping stores like SDM from dropping games altogether. That valuable shelf space can easily get filled with useless iPhone accessories.

Some exceptions I've found:

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z is still $59.99 on Amazon.ca, for those interested.

The Witch and The Hundred Knight is $49.99 at Amazon.ca still.

Conception II is $39.99 for both Vita and 3DS version at Amazon.ca. Only the Vita version is $39.99 at Best Buy.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is $49.99 at Amazon.ca. For some reason it's not available at BB/EB yet.

Kirby Triple Deluxe is $39.99 everywhere.

Mario Golf: World Tour is $34.99 everywhere.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is $59.99 at Amazon.ca.

I think because some of those last ones come out later in the year, that Amazon may not have changed their prices yet.

Conception II is $39.99 for both Vita and 3DS version at Amazon.ca. Only the Vita version is $39.99 at Best Buy.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is $49.99 at Amazon.ca. For some reason it's not available at BB/EB yet.

I think because some of those last ones come out later in the year, that Amazon may not have changed their prices yet.
http://gematsu.com/2014/01/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-physical-edition-amazon-clubnamco-limited-release-us

Anyway, I already have my copy of Witch and the Hundred Knights paid off at EB, and I managed to pre-order Conception II from Futureshop before they increased it to $44.99.

Kirby is supposed to be $34.99, VGP has it at that price it seems.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=21673

Also, even though Witch and the Hundred Knights is $54.99 at EB, it's still worth getting it from them. Music CD + reversible covers for all pre-ordered copies.

JoJo is amazon and Namco store exclusive, no other place will carry it.

JoJo Physical copies are Amazon and Namco exclusive. PSN will have digital copies. Though, I'd rather get the physical one.

Hm, so far. I would wait until what RPG Fan says on it. Or notable RPG critics like Jason Schreier, Kat Bailey, Kimberley Wallace, etc.

Yeah, I don't give a fuck what Metacritic, IGN, and the like rate it. It's a niche game and not meant for the general gamer.
Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm a bit short on cash at the moment. And there's a few games coming out in the coming month or so I have an interest in.

I would wait on witch and thousand since if it works out anything like time and eternity (mediocre reviews currently 20$) it'll drop quickly in price.

I would wait on witch and thousand since if it works out anything like time and eternity (mediocre reviews currently 20$) it'll drop quickly in price.
Thing is, with Time and Eternity it was already acknowledged as a terrible game even in Japan. Witch and a Hundred Knights has a better score too. I plan on waiting for more reviews to come in before making my decision either way.

How are Nintendo games "overpriced"? They go for the normal $39.99 like other handheld games have been in the past.
No, a lot of Wii U games launched at $59 that had no right to even be that much. I'm not sure how they determine the pricing, but games like SM3D World should have been $50 at most. Games like Pikmin 3 can be $60 due to the amount of content, but games like W101 and 3D World that take roughly 10 hours to complete if you collect most of the collectibles should not be full retail price.

Nintendo games are also NEVER on sale, whether they be through promotions or coupons or anything. We recently got a Pokemon sale but that was more Staples getting rid of their copies than Nintendo trying to promote their products. If you compare Nintendo's pricing to Steam, Sony or even MS' recent pricing, it's very clear that Nintendo is making no effort at all to raise awareness by putting on good deals.

... in Canada at least.

No, a lot of Wii U games launched at $59 that had no right to even be that much. I'm not sure how they determine the pricing, but games like SM3D World should have been $50 at most. Games like Pikmin 3 can be $60 due to the amount of content, but games like W101 and 3D World that take roughly 10 hours to complete if you collect most of the collectibles should not be full retail price.
SM3D World has way more content than 10 hours worth. You're meant to find every collectible and there's also the bonus stages, adding even more game time to it.

Sony and Microsoft both have games that don't even last 6-10 hours and priced at $60. So no, this isn't just Nintendo at all. $59.99 has been the standard MSRP for games on home consoles for a while now.

Nintendo games are also NEVER on sale, whether they be through promotions or coupons or anything.
This isn't even remotely true at all. I've found plenty of Nintendo games on sale. This past Boxing day a lone shows we have sales.

ToyRUs had Donkey Kong Country 3D for $20 with NSMB/Mario & Luigi/etc for $24.97 each. Target had Mario Kart 7/NSMB2/Luigi's Mansion/etc for $15 each. There were also tons of other sales through out Canada that had Nintendo games for less even before Boxing Day.

I mean even EBGames had a trade 1 for 1 deal on Nintendo 3DS games like Zelda/Pokemon/Luigi's Mansion/etc. You're not looking hard enough it seems.

SM3D World has way more content than 10 hours worth. You're meant to find every collectible and there's also the bonus stages, adding even more game time to it.

Sony and Microsoft both have games that don't even last 6-10 hours and priced at $60. So no, this isn't just Nintendo at all. $59.99 has been the standard MSRP for games on home consoles for a while now.

This isn't even remotely true at all. I've found plenty of Nintendo games on sale. This past Boxing day a lone shows we have sales.

ToyRUs had Donkey Kong Country 3D for $20 with NSMB/Mario & Luigi/etc for $24.97 each. Target had Mario Kart 7/NSMB2/Luigi's Mansion/etc for $15 each. There were also tons of other sales through out Canada that had Nintendo games for less even before Boxing Day.

I mean even EBGames had a trade 1 for 1 deal on Nintendo 3DS games like Zelda/Pokemon/Luigi's Mansion/etc. You're not looking hard enough it seems.
Try to find some good prices on Nintendo games outside of boxing day/black friday. Since then there haven't been any sales at all. Unsuccessful games like Wonderful 101 dropped to $30, while some equally unsuccessful games like Pikmin 3 remain at $60. I am comparing this to Sony who have weekly sales of at least 40%, and up to 75% off for Playstation Plus subscribers. GTA 5 was $40 on PS+ not even 3 months after release while Pikmin 3, a game thats been out for 8 months now, only dropped to $40 during Black Friday and only at Target. GTA 5 has since been on sale more than once at $40, whereas Pikmin 3 remains full-price and only dropped its price on Boxing Day, $40 again.

It's very difficult to see Nintendo as being active in promoting their stuff when the competition outdoes them every single week.

Nintendo games keep their value because people continue to buy them at this price.I wouldn't call that "unsuccessful". There have been plenty of stores that have Nintendo games at a discount. Pharmaprix a lone has Pokemon Black and White for $20 each, they even had The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for $20. Super Smash Brothers Brawl/Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns have had price reductions as well, which was advertised by Nintendo themselves. 

These were permanent price drops. So yes, Nintendo actually does discount their games. They even have a series of Wii Select games that are $19.99 each which were all $40+ at one point. New Super Mario Bros Wii is $29.99-$39.99 right now too.

Also, you claimed Canada never had a sale on Nintendo games at all, which is completely false. Sony and Micosoft games have always gone down in price over the course of a few months or so. That doesn't indicate Nintendo's games are "overpriced" as you claim they are.

Anyway, let's keep this thread on topic.

Hm, unfortunately, I doubt it. If you're looking for the PS4 version then you might be out of luck, too, because yesterday some stores here, in Calgary atleast, didn't even get a single copy of the PS4 version, while others were either all sold out or had them on reserve for people that pre-ordered. Good luck.

Personally, I think it's worth every bit of it's price tag, especially for fans of the series. I am, and I've already put in around 7-8 hours without even touching the Side Ops. Camp Omega is huge, and like most other MGS games, there's so much to do and ways to go about playing. It's immense, man. The Phantom Pain is gonna be something special.

All games ordered before the price increase will be honored at the price it was.
Welp, unsurprisingly that was untrue. Just wandered into EB and picked up my FFX HD that I pre-ordered last summer, and was charged $45. I didn't notice when checking out, so I guess I'll return it.

Good thing FS gave me the LE for $26 :)

Welp, unsurprisingly that was untrue. Just wandered into EB and picked up my FFX HD that I pre-ordered last summer, and was charged $45. I didn't notice when checking out, so I guess I'll return it.

I was able to grab it at $40, though I think if I didn't mention anything about pre ordering it before the price change I'd of gotten charged the "normal" price.

It wasn't untrue. I got my Lightning Returns for $59.99. Go back and ask about it.

My local store had a printed list of games that had their prices changed, what the old prices were, and the cutoff date for the original pre-order to qualify for the earlier price.  I assume other stores should be consulting the same list?

If that's true maybe I should fill out the store feedback, as it would be the store/clerks fault. I was planning on abstaining from leaving them something bad, but if this is policy they should be following it.

If that's true maybe I should fill out the store feedback, as it would be the store/clerks fault. I was planning on abstaining from leaving them something bad, but if this is policy they should be following it.
While always good to do the feedback surveys (not just to earn points on your Edge account), you'd get better results by asking the store staff about it; the manager and ASM especially should know what's going on, and would fix any mistakes faster than letting a survey comment only possibly trickle down to store level. It's also possible that this price-checking procedure is a YMMV thing, and that different areas might handle it differently?

How it was handled for me at least was that I had to mention that I pre ordered before the price change, from how I understand it the pre order system doesn't easily give the day the game was initially ordered unless they mess around with the system a bit.

Sorta sucks for the employees and personally I'd go back and ask about it before complaining on the survey. You're more likely to get your $5.65 back (cause tax) and it's likely an employee will tell their manager about it who will hopefully pass it on to someone who can do something about it.

For future releases it may be helpful for them to have a list of pre orders done before a price change though, then again there may be something simple I'm overlooking on that :/

from how I understand it the pre order system doesn't easily give the day the game was initially ordered unless they mess around with the system a bit.
It's super easy for them to find that information; the initial pre-order date, subsequent payment dates, and pick-up date (and all their transactions) are literally one button press away from your pre-order screen. However, the date that the game changed prices, and what the before and after prices were, are completely unknown to them.

from how I understand it the pre order system doesn't easily give the day the game was initially ordered unless they mess around with the system a bit.
I've always maintained original pre-order slips, and hand them over to pickup my stuff. That's how I still know I preordered last summer, specifically on 07/25/13.

Oh, wow. I mean, yeah, if it wasn't a pass on The Witch and The Hundred Knight before, it is now. Score aside, that is one damning wall of text from a pretty respectable RPG site.

Blargh. I hate this 70$ game thing. I want Deception. It's a PS3 game, in no world should it be 64.99 or 69.99.
Wait for one to get traded in! You could grab a recycled copy for the low, low price of only $58.49! Oh, wait, it's such a tiny niche game that no one will ever trade it in, and your only chance to get a copy is now at $69.99. Yeah, it's a bummer. :(

Oh yeah, I did go in and ask for my $5 difference, it was kinda silly. I was polite and everything, but the clerk wanted to deny me. He made up some policy about why I didn't qualify for the original price, I had to get insistent that he was wrong and EB Canada set out a reasonably clear policy on the matter. He still wouldn't do it, so I told him that if we were done and he wouldn't help me I'd be leaving them negative store feedback. Then he picked up the phone to see what he could do. Somebody possibly instructed him on the correct procedure, he found that binder that lists the pre-order price cutoff dates, and refunded me my $5 +tax.

I'm guessing that binder was sent out by corporate, seeing as a store that doesn't want to hand out discounts has it on hand.

Wait for one to get traded in! You could grab a recycled copy for the low, low price of only $58.49! Oh, wait, it's such a tiny niche game that no one will ever trade it in, and your only chance to get a copy is now at $69.99. Yeah, it's a bummer. :(
Exactly why I'm really annoyed at this. Now I know in about 6 months I could get it for 30 on PSN if even 6 months but I want a physical copy.

VGP has Mario Golf: World Tour for $39.99, while Best Buy/Futureshop and EBGames have it for $34.99.

Smash Bros 3DS is $44.99 on Futureshop and Best Buy as well.

VGP has Mario Golf: World Tour for $39.99, while Best Buy/Futureshop and EBGames have it for $34.99.

Smash Bros 3DS is $44.99 on Futureshop and Best Buy as well.
Which is funny because they (VGP) have Kirby for $34.99, whereas I see it listed for $39.99 at almost every other shop.

Just reminds me, always shop around for prices, even on new retail stuff. You're bound to save a few bucks.

bread's done
Back